Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles, #1)

Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  16,526 ratings  ·  2,624 reviews
She won’t rest until she’s sent every walking corpse back to its grave. Forever.

Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone.

Her...more
Published October 5th 2012 by MIRA INK (first published September 25th 2012)

Kat Kennedy
Whether or not you enjoy this book depends on what you were expect­ing to begin with. No Really. Look at that cover, reread the syn­op­sis and decide right now what you’re hop­ing from this book. Is it:

a) A dark, twisted retelling of Alice in Won­der­land with zom­bie creatures?

b) A high school melo­drama about ghost/zombies with no real Alice in Won­der­land connection.

If you thought B then good for you. Read this book. If you thought A then back the hell off now. This is not the book for you a...more
curious little beastie
This review is also available over at my blog.

____________________

As you can see this is another DNF review, because I can only take so much torture, and reading this was overkill. I made it about 120-something pages, and then I reached my breaking point.

What I Oh So Desperately Wanted: An awesome, zombiefied Alice in Wonderland retelling with lots of action.

What I Got: Crappy, unoriginal, stereotypical teen melodrama.

So we have Alice, a girl who's dad is claimed to be psycho cause he sees these...more
Giselle
OFF WITH HER HEAD!!

Alice in Wonderland with zombies? Not so much. Creative zombie ghosts lore (… you heard me. Zombie. Ghosts) with great humor and charming characters? Definitely!

Despite the title, Alice in Zombieland really has nothing much to do with Alice in Wonderland. There may be some scattered references, but it's really a unique story all on its own. While some may be disappointed, I wasn't terribly familiar with the specifics of the classic tale, so I found myself having a lot of fun...more
Cas
Front Cover:

Back Cover:
[image error]

This book needs to come out now!
Gena (one of my favorite authors) + Zombies + Apocalypse + Bad Boy Romance =
Sam
"The monsters hunger for your flesh, your organs. If they see you, they will chase you. And if they catch you, they will devour you."

The title, Alice in Zombieland (coupled with that mesmerising cover) promises an impressive modern-day retelling of the Lewis Carroll classic. A Wonderland retelling with zombies, of all things. That was enough to capture my attention. This book, in fact, isn’t much of a retelling at all. While a light Alice in Wonderland theme is present throughout the story, i...more
Pavlina loves Dex ❤❤
4 COLE STARS <333

I think everybody knows Alice in Wonderland..but did you know that there is also another Alice?? With Zombies...Yes yes you heard me...there are zombies in this book...like many of them!!!But these zombies weren't what I expected and the concept was different because the hunters had to fight leaving their bodies aside and using the spirit!!It was interesting and very unique!!

description

Alice moves in with her grandparents after her parent's and sister's death.She tries to accept her ne...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
I’m sure you’ve heard this before, but Alice in Zombieland has very little to do with Lewis Carroll’s classic. In fact, aside from the title itself and the white rabbit-shaped cloud that warns our Ali of danger, there’s nothing connecting the two. As someone who stays as far away from retellings as possible, I was overjoyed when I discovered this, but if you go into this expecting a new version of that story, you might find yourself disappointed.

Alice in Zombieland is, above all, a fun little bo...more
Navdha
Does the title Alice in Zombieland along with the intriguing synopsis and lovely cover has you convinced that you have to read this book?

No? Never mind.

But if your answer is ‘Yes’, then you need to ask yourself this:

Are you expecting to find a gory, engrossing, retelling of Alice in Wonderland with zombie goodness putridness?

No? Okay.
So far so good.

Are you prepared to go through the same overused insta-lust bullshit between the main characters with hardly any explanations or focus on the plot...more
Katy
My Goodread friends have either really, really liked this book or really, really hated it. Now, I know why, and I have so many things to say about it - and not good ones.

First of all, I thought this book was going to be a parody of Alice in Wonderland or have some kind of parallelism or allusion to it, but the only things that lined up were a character named Alice and the mention of a white rabbit - in this book, it was the stupid clouds. So yeah, not much correlation to Alice in Wonderland.

Now...more
Wendy Darling
Not much of an Alice book at all. But so much fun! Review to come.
Sarah (saz101)
Alice in Zombieland. The name alone screams Burtonesque-Resident Evil promise. Yet readers approaching Gena Showalter’s latest Young Adult offering with such hopes will find themselves disappointed. Instead, Alice in Zombieland will appeal to fans of the likes of Twilight and Vampire Diaries, those desperate for unrequited romance, dark teen angst and dangerous secrets. Leave your expectations at the door, and climb down the rabbit hole...

The Story:
Alice’s father’s always been nuts. He sees mons...more
Kaylee Magic
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! Sweet Jesus, Ali is not your typical sit-back-and-take-it heroine -- she's wild for a girl who looks like a doll, and I SERIOUSLY LOVE THAT. Go kick some invisible zombie butt, Ali! (: ♥

-----

Alice in Zombieland is, quite frankly, not what I was expecting. It's BETTER. It ROCKS. It totally KICKED ASS, which I guess should've been expected of a Gena Showalter book incorporating zombies into my favourite childhood story. I always used to want to go to Wonderland be...more
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
“Let’s see what I can do to change that, shall we? We’re going on a little adventure, you and I. When I give an order, you’ll obey it. There will be no asking politely, no matter how much you bat your lashes at me.”

Where do I start with Alice in Zombieland....well, to be honest zombies are really not my thing AT ALL! I've read several zombie books and just cant see what all the hype is about - they just don't do anything for me, but because of all the awesome reviews on this book, I wa...more
Jasprit
I think I may be in the minority of reviewers who didn’t enjoy Alice in Zombieland. With a stunning cover and alluring premise what’s not to love? I think when I read the word zombie; I should have taken that as a sign as I haven’t had much luck with zombie books except for one. But I went in with the hopes that it would provide something different and different it certainly did.

The beginning of the book I had no problems with, I found myself thrown into the mix from the get go, with several que...more
Jessie Potts
When I first saw this cover I thought it was going to be a retelling of Alice in Wonderland with Zombies instead of villains... dang I was wrong. Showalter just used Alice Bell's Name and cute things from the wonderland books like 'curiouser and curiouser' otherwise it was a completely new and very action packed start to a brilliant series that I can't wait to dig into.

Alice's dad is crazy, certifiable. He claims there are monsters no one else can see and won't let the family go out after dark....more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Originally posted on A Reader of Fictions.

As soon as I heard about this book, I super wanted to get my hands on it. Zombie retelling of Alice in Wonderland? Umm, yes, please! How could that possibly go wrong? Well, it turns out, it could go wrong in a number of ways. Alice in Zombieland has a certain appeal, but not the one that I suspect most readers will be expecting when they crack its spine.

The very first thing you need to know about Alice in Zombieland: it has nothing whatsoever to do with...more
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Michael
Based on the first chapter, I should have enjoyed Gena Showalter's Alice in Zombieland a lot more than I did.

Alice Bell's father is a bit of the peculiar side. He won't let his family venture out of the house after dark, he won't drive by the cemetery and he's convinced that he can see evil forces that no one else can. For her younger sister's birthday, Alice convinces her father to bend the rules and attend the younger sister's dance recital. Leaving quickly after the recital is over, the fami...more
Nymeria
Appena finito e adesso sono nella fase, immagino nota a molti di voi, "HO BISOGNO DEL SEGUITO. LA MIA SALUTE MENTALE LO IMPONE".
Credetemi, non è facile riuscire a mettere insieme dei pensieri sensati su questo libro. Quello che vi posso dire è che Alice in Zombieland è stato uno dei miei libri preferiti del 2012. E' stata una lettura che spesso e volentieri mi ha lascito a bocca aperta, mi ha fatto ridere come una matta, venire le lacrime agli occhi e tutte queste emozioni si sono susseguite a...more
Danny
Awesometastic !!!!

Alice in Zombieland comes with a brilliant, kick-ass cast of characters and waves an action packed story with just the perfect amount for steamy romance to satisfy all our needs! Alice is an admirable heroine – strong, determined, wonderfully awesome and a perfect match for bad boy Cole who will steal not only Alice heart but sure as hell stole mine!

Full Review to come...
geekgirl
I must have this. Zombies! Gena Showalter! Two of my fave things.

*grabbyhands*

ETA 04/05/12 - COVER! COVERCOVERCOVERCOVERCOVER!

It's

SO

PRETTY!!!!

Also? WANT.
Lynn
I’d rather the whole world consider me crazy while I go down fighting than spend the rest of my life hiding from the truth. Zombies are real. They’re out there.

Alice's father is convinced there are monsters lurking outside the doors in the night. He refuses to let his family out after dark, which has left Alice with a very limited social life. But its been this way ever since Alice can remember. But on her 16th birthday, Alice begs her mother to talk her father into allowing them, as a norma...more
Karen
OMG, I love, love, LOVE this book! Alice in Zombieland is pure entertainment... I couldn't put it down! I have to admit that my memories of the Alice in Wonderland story are a bit vague so I can't really speak to similarities between the two, but I don't even care about that because THIS story was fan-freakin-tastic. Another solid win for Gena Showalter!

Alice in Zombieland introduces us to Alice and her family, a family that is slightly bizarre. See, Alice's dad sees monsters, monsters that terr...more
Michelle Leah Olson
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION’s Pack Alpha – Michelle L. Olson:

I’m a huge fan of Gena Showalter, so when I heard that she was coming out with a new series I was extremely excited.

Let me start my review by saying that it's been hard for me to read YA novels lately after discovering the vast world of dark urban fantasy, paranormal romance & erotica out there. There are a couple series that I can't stray from however, and now I have a new one to add to the list of ones I won't be leaving be...more
Mishma Nixon
Truth to be told,I've never been interested in reading this book before.Even when I heard a lot say that it was a great one,I just couldn't make myself read Alice in Zombieland.After all zombies are never my thing.I've always been disgusted by those creatures,(no offense to anyone who like them)and the title made me think as if it's about a girl who accidentally steps into a land full of zombies and has to kill them.Seriously.

So when I got this book as an exchange for Strange Angels,it was just...more
Aeicha

Such. A. Disappointment >.<

From the moment I saw the cover and read the premise of Gena Showalter's Alice in Zombieland I knew I had to read it! Unfortunately, the book failed to live up to my expectations and is one of the biggest reading disappointments I've experienced this year :(

Alice Bell thinks her father is crazy and with his paronoia, refusal to allow the family out after dark and his belief in monsters, he certainly sounds crazy. But after a tragic accident that takes the live...more
Alex
Sono letteralmente entrata nella tana del Bianconiglio...
Alice in wonderland é stata una delle poche letture che hanno avuto il potere di stupirmi!
Ebbene,mi aspettavo una sorta di favoletta dark/splatter e invece mi ritrovo a leggere una storia completamente diversa!
Una trama ricca di azione,passione,umorismo e tanti disgustosi zombi (scusa R tu sei sexy!).
Alice,é l'unica sopravvissuta al tragico incidente d'auto,nel quale ha perso entrambi i genitori e la sorellina Emma.
Il dolore é l'unica cost...more
Michelle
OH.MY.GOSH! This cover looks freaking gorgeous! It was in my recommendations according to my to be read books. The second I saw the title, I was like, "I AM SO GETTING THAT BOOK!".

Then I read the blurb and I was like:

This sounds SO AWESOME!

Then I saw the release date and I was like:
description

To sum up my excitement, I just want to say, SOOOO EXCITED FOR THIS!!! :)

Have a great day and happy reading everyone!

********************FAST FORWARD***********

Hey guys! It's me again! Guess what? I bought this book...more
Abida
I don't really like reading books about zombies, but when I saw the cover of the book it caught my attention. (Yeah I know not to judge a book by it's cover.... but I'm glad I did) The story line of this book was great. I'm in love Alice. The way she talks, even if the world were ending she'd still have questions to ask. Her humor in this book was spot on perfect. I love her best friend Kat. She is the perfect example of what a best friend should be. Even though they only know each other for a s...more
Fight. Slay. Survive. Kill. The weirdness of imagination... 16 29 Jul 22, 2014 01:06AM
Who likes Mackenzie? 14 48 May 19, 2014 04:57PM
YA Lovers: Cole Holland 1 13 Apr 15, 2014 01:29PM
Young Adult Book ...: Overall thoughts/impressions (SPOILERS) 16 9 Jan 23, 2014 09:53AM
Thoughts ??? 276 193 Jan 16, 2014 02:29PM
Young Adult Book ...: Non spoilery thoughts as you read 6 7 Jan 16, 2014 01:44PM
  • Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1)
  • Taking on the Dead (The Famished Trilogy, #1)
  • Silver (Bandia, #1)
  • Dearly, Beloved (Gone With the Respiration, #2)
  • Undead (Undead, #1)
  • Contagious (The Contagium #1)
  • Glitch (Glitch, #1)
  • Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1)
  • Velveteen
  • Undeadly (The Reaper Diaries, #1)
  • Unhinged (Splintered, #2)
  • Covet (The Clann, #2)
  • Through to You
  • Every Other Day
  • Blood Fever (The Watchers, #3)
  • Black City (Black City, #1)
  • Touched (Sense Thieves, #1)
  • This is Not a Test
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been transl...more
More about Gena Showalter...
The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld, #2) The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld,  #3) The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld, #4) The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld, #5)

“Don't look now, but that's my ex over there."
Surely I'm not the only one who takes "don't look now" as "there's no better time than now." I looked.
"Bad, Ali!" Another slap to my arm. "Bad, bad, bad Ali! Have you no self control?”
141 likes
“He ignored me, thank God, saying to Kat, "Let go of Frosty's leash. You're choking the life out of him."
Kat's eyes narrowed to tiny slits, a sure sign of her aggression. "He deserves to choke. He didn't keep little frosty in his pants this summer." the words snapped like a whip.
"He did." Cole snapped back with unwavering confidence.
"Not."
"Did."
"Not!"
"Did,"
"Not, not, not!" she shouted with a stomp of her foot.
"What are we five?" Cole said.
"Six.”