Start by marking “When We Join Jesus In Hell” as Want to Read:
When We Join Jesus In Hell

When We Join Jesus In Hell

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  68 reviews
"WHEN WE JOIN JESUS IN HELL is as crazy as its tormented protagonist. Hard as nails."

-- Jack Ketchum

Home, he thinks, Where the heart bleeds freely.

A hell of a boxer, he earned the nickname 'Fist' back in the day. But during the past eight years, he's transformed into somebody he no longer knows—a weak, pitiful, and passionless office drone.

Barely hanging onto the last thre
Published September 25th 2012 by Delirium Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about When We Join Jesus In Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When We Join Jesus In Hell

Charlene
I won this novella during an online Meet the Author event put on by the publisher Darkfuse.

The story starts off with our protagonist named Fist drunkenly making his way home late at night. During his walk home he is musing about the state of his life and marriage. Fist used to be a boxer, (hence the nickname), but gave it up at the height of his career to become the father he believes his family wanted and needed-a man with a stable job, bringing home a paycheck,and home every night. The idea o
Paul Nelson
Updated after reread.

When We Join Jesus in Hell is an intense, dark and powerful read that will leave a big impression and wrench your emotions all over the place. A novella that will awaken feelings you never thought could exist.

Fist is an ex-boxer who at the height of his career, packed it all in to be the man his family needed him to be and avoided the injuries that were sure to come. He settles into an ordinary if not boring life but that all changes in absolutely stunning fashion when he co
Gregor Xane
Sep 29, 2014 Gregor Xane rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of hardcore noir/crime & horror fiction
Shelves: 2014
The title of this thing is one of the best titles ever conceived of for a work of horror fiction. Frankly, that was 99% of why I bought this book. I didn't read the ad copy for it or any reviews. I just liked the title and knew the author had a good reputation.

All right.

Now, this isn't a long piece, so I can't say much about it without spoiling it for folks. I'll just say four things:

1) It quickly rose to a level of 'holy fuck!' that I wasn't quite ready for (which, of course, in hindsight is a
Hunger For Knowledge
When We Join Jesus In Hell drags you inside of one's personal hell. It is a dark and agonizing read, one to stay with you long after turning the last page. It is that uncomfortably good.

I always wondered where did the book get its tittle, and after finishing this story, I see the brilliance in it. It is that uncomfortably good.

A review would never do enough justice to When We Join Jesus In Hell as it is a book that has to be experienced through reading, not a one to be explained in a review.

Als
Jon Recluse
It is a rare occurence when words fail me after reading a story....When We Join Jesus in Hell is one of those stories. A visceral exploration of the human heart. Of love, loss and vengence. It reopens old wounds in your soul and creates new ones. You'll need to find a quiet place to regain your composure after this one. I am loathe to admit it, but this book made me cry. Lee Thompson is an author to watch and a very dangerous man. Highest recommendation.
Edward Lorn
Oh, this guy's good. So good in fact that I'm not going to tell you anything about this book. You need to experience this for yourself. I will say this, while both the title story and the additional story are both five-star reads, I may be in the minority when I say the short story at the end is better than the novella before it. But, let me reiterate, they are both phenomenal. Then again, I'm weird like that. Bring your brain, though, because these stories make you think.

Go buy it. It's a dolla
Kimberly
Wow--A novella both gut-retching and somehow beautiful at the same time. The thoughts going through the mind of the main character are so poignant--quite in contrast with the devastating circumstances that he finds himself in. This is a story that will haunt me for a long, long time. Lee Thompson creates a setting that you actually FEEL. While the story was truly unsettling, his writing style is one that will keep me coming back for more. Highest recommendation!
Adam Light
This novella is the first thing I've read from Lee Thompson. It won't be the last.
Such a powerful, gut-wrenching read.
Richard Vialet
A ex-boxer comes home from his dead end job to find that his wife is not alone in their bedroom. What happens after that is what you need to read the book to find out.

For such a little novelette, this book has a pretty high body count. And no one is safe: not children, little old ladies, or even small animals. The story is bloody and violent, but the book wears its heart on its sleeve and manages to somehow also be a heartbreaking, tragic, and deeply emotional tale of loss, regret, and whether o
Marvin
When We Join Jesus in Hell may be the most brilliant piece of short fiction I have read in ages. At slightly less than 60 pages it is too long for a short story and not long enough for a novella. In the old days we might have called that a novelette. Yet Lee Thompson's whopper of a modern tragedy is one of those tales that will keep you up at night and inhabit your brain for a very long time. Thompson's protagonist is barely together from page one but an incident happens that sends him into a ve ...more
Lee Thompson
Sep 30, 2012 Lee Thompson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Fans of Tom Piccirilli, Douglas Clegg, Joe Lansdale, Peter Straub, Lee Thompson, Greg Gifune, etc.
Recommended to Lee by: One dark night in the ghetto
Savage, heartbreaking and brutal.

A hero by the name of Jack Ketchum just read this and sent me a blurb...

-- Jack Ketchum
Ms. Nikki
Lee Thompson has an obviously fertile imagination. His stories are "thinkers" and have an emotional impact that stay with you long after you've read the book. That's a sign of a good writer connecting with his/her audience.

For me, When We Join Jesus In Hell captured my attention, knocked me over with emotion, but left me out in the cold with realism.

The backstory of Fist and his wife, their happiness, his fighting, their family, well, it worked. What did not work was the fact that Fist came int
Brian
Jan 19, 2015 Brian rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Brian by: Lee Thompson
Don't let the title fool you - this is not a hymn.

But you should still read it.

Now let us pray.
Valancourt Books
In this novella, my first read by Lee Thompson, an ex-boxer named Fist comes home to find something that changes his life forever. The story is brutal and heartbreaking. Throughout its pages you will be filled with unease, but Thompson's first-rate storytelling will keep you going.

This review is only for When We Join Jesus in Hell. I haven't read the bonus story yet.
Chris
There is so much going on in this novella. I read it once for the story. You have to do that because this one is going to rip you apart as you follow Fist from the shattering opening scene through one harrowing pivotal scene after another. I then read it again for all of the rest of the story. The symbolism. The literary references. The structure. The landscape as we progress becomes more surreal, the characters more symbolic and archetypal, as we drop from one level to the next and finally into ...more
Jason
When We Join Jesus In Hell is an emotional punch to the stomach with a couple of knees to the face for good measure. The word 'Hell' is mentioned in the book's description a few times, and I like to think that that is exactly what this novella is. A sudden decent into grief, rage, vengeance, and then, finally, Hell.

I don't want to go into the plot because it moves quickly and there are a few surprises along the way that will ruin it if I even begin with the set up. One thing I can tell you, howe
Bill
Excellent!! A fast and furious revenge novel that grabs you and will not let go. Once I started reading, I absolutely could not put it down - I had to finish, to see the story to the bitter end. I haven’t rooted for a protagonist like “Fist” that hard in a long time. Lee Thompson kicks ass with this novel and gets straight to the heart of the reader, albeit a dark and vengeful heart.
Kaisersoze
A good many people whose opinions I respect immensely have done nothing but praise this very short novella (novelette?) by Lee Thompson, and after reading the first few pages, I thought I could see why. Opening with a heinous crime that no parent or partner could read without feeling disturbed, When We Join Jesus in Hell never lets up its frenetic pace, as POV character Fist goes on a grief-fueled rampage of revenge, even as his mind unravels and he slides increasingly further into madness.

Lee
Kate

This is one of the most gut-wrenching stories I've ever read. The main character is so broken by the events of the beginning of the book that right from the start you get a sense that there will be no happy ending.
As the story progressed I felt as though I was being pulled down into the hellish abyss with Fist, a genuinely distressing experience.
Some of the images and characters in the story have stayed with me long after finishing the book.
To say this book packs an emotional punch is an unders
Brett Talley
Dark. Chilling. Disturbing. Heartbreaking. A trip through grief and torment and vengeance. A great piece.
Most of you know by now I'm a big fan of Lee Thompson. I have quite a few reviews around here from his epic Division series. When We Join Jesus in Hell is a notable departure from his Division mythos, but it is a testament to Thompson's awesome, dark imagination.

When We Join Jesus in Hell is a great read, but it is also a tough read. It is brutal and heartbreaking. It won't be for everyone, but for those of you who appreciate dark, unapologetic, and emotional stories, it will leave its mark and
David Church
Easily one of the best Novellas I have ever read. To say this story was profound and full of life lessons, is an understatement. Anytime a story can make you reflect on your own life and make you look at life a little differently, it definitely is a good thing.
Larry
My god was this novella amazing. It was a very beautiful and heartbreaking book. i loved it so much
Pierre
This is a brilliant novella that takes you into the mind of a man who looses everything in the most tragic and shocking circumstances and then walks a path of destructive revenge. When everything you love is violently taken away from you, what would be your remaining thoughts looking back on your life and your descent into the insidious trappings of family routine? What would be your regrets? What are all the things you wish had been different, the words you wished you had said but left unsaid?
H
Alejandro Canton-Dutari
I was attracted by the strong title, and was expecting some religious conflict. Was I ever mistaken!
A startling image summarized this work: "What's up with your eyes?" "One is for viewing the living. The other for appreciating those not."
This is a long story, or perhaps a novella, that I could not put down until it ended. The author portrayed a main character that pursues an objective under the spell of a psychotic rage so poignant that my emotions felt caught in a runaway cart.
It was a great re
Steven
This is a rip your guts out noir-horror novella. Can't say much about the plot without giving the story away, but it is about vengeance for sure. What makes this so amazing is the way that Thompson evokes essentially a whole a life of mistakes, regrets, pain and turns it into an agonizing cry for forgiveness all while vengeance is sought. Powerful stuff.
Stephen
An awesome thriller

I loved this story!! This story kept me on the edge of my seat with a eerie atmisphere. I gave this story five stars for being a superb thriller that met or exceeded my expectations. Highly recommended!!
11811 (Eleven)
Congrats to the author on the Jack Ketchum blurb. It was well earned. This disturbing stroll through the ghetto is unique from any other revenge story I've read in the past. It is dark and depressing and I enjoyed every bit of it.
Alan Ryker
Nightmarish noir. Very good stuff.
Mark Matthews
I"m a newbie Darkfuse member reader, and this was the first book I got to. Such an amazing feat to pull off the tone throughout this novel, which I am guessing was very hard to write without sounding campy or half-tongue in cheek (like the movie Sin-City, for example, which I still loved but was different). Reality in the novel was dripping and fluid. The content is horrific, sure, but the mystical and surreality of the writing is what got me hooked. ('sur-reality,' just made that word up.)

Love
Horror Aficionados : Be A Character in My Next Novel 4 37 Feb 08, 2014 10:26AM
Horror Aficionados : My First Video Q & A 2 10 Dec 06, 2013 04:04PM
Horror Aficionados : When We Join Jesus in Hell by Lee Thompson *SPOILERS* 211 316 Feb 02, 2013 07:31AM
  • Puppet Graveyard
  • Ugly As Sin
  • Whom the Gods Would Destroy
  • Stalking You Now
  • The Tent
“Lee Thompson knows his horror-noir. He fuses both genres together in the turmoil of terror, tragedy, blood, guilt, and lost chances at redemption.”–Tom Piccirilli, author of THE LAST KIND WORDS

Lee Thompson is the bestselling author of the Suspense novels A BEAUTIFUL MADNESS (August 2014), IT’S ONLY DEATH (January 2015), and WITH FURY IN HAND (May 2015). The dominating threads weaved throughout hi
More about Lee Thompson...
Before Leonora Wakes Its Only Death A Beautiful Madness Iron Butterflies Rust Nursery Rhymes 4 Dead Children