When We Join Jesus In Hell

When We Join Jesus In Hell

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  51 reviews
"WHEN WE JOIN JESUS IN HELL is as crazy as its tormented protagonist. Hard as nails."

-- Jack Ketchum

Home, he thinks, Where the heart bleeds freely.

A hell of a boxer, he earned the nickname 'Fist' back in the day. But during the past eight years, he's transformed into somebody he no longer knows—a weak, pitiful, and passionless office drone.

Barely hanging onto the last thre...more
Published September 25th 2012 by Delirium Books (first published September 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about When We Join Jesus In Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When We Join Jesus In Hell

Charlene
I won this novella during an online Meet the Author event put on by the publisher Darkfuse.

The story starts off with our protagonist named Fist drunkenly making his way home late at night. During his walk home he is musing about the state of his life and marriage. Fist used to be a boxer, (hence the nickname), but gave it up at the height of his career to become the father he believes his family wanted and needed-a man with a stable job, bringing home a paycheck,and home every night. The idea o...more
Jon Recluse
It is a rare occurence when words fail me after reading a story....When We Join Jesus in Hell is one of those stories. A visceral exploration of the human heart. Of love, loss and vengence. It reopens old wounds in your soul and creates new ones. You'll need to find a quiet place to regain your composure after this one. I am loathe to admit it, but this book made me cry. Lee Thompson is an author to watch and a very dangerous man. Highest recommendation.
Kimberly
Wow--A novella both gut-retching and somehow beautiful at the same time. The thoughts going through the mind of the main character are so poignant--quite in contrast with the devastating circumstances that he finds himself in. This is a story that will haunt me for a long, long time. Lee Thompson creates a setting that you actually FEEL. While the story was truly unsettling, his writing style is one that will keep me coming back for more. Highest recommendation!
Marvin
When We Join Jesus in Hell may be the most brilliant piece of short fiction I have read in ages. At slightly less than 60 pages it is too long for a short story and not long enough for a novella. In the old days we might have called that a novelette. Yet Lee Thompson's whopper of a modern tragedy is one of those tales that will keep you up at night and inhabit your brain for a very long time. Thompson's protagonist is barely together from page one but an incident happens that sends him into a ve...more
Lee Thompson
Sep 30, 2012 Lee Thompson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Fans of Tom Piccirilli, Douglas Clegg, Joe Lansdale, Peter Straub, Lee Thompson, Greg Gifune, etc.
Recommended to Lee by: One dark night in the ghetto
Savage, heartbreaking and brutal.

A hero by the name of Jack Ketchum just read this and sent me a blurb...

-- Jack Ketchum
Jason
When We Join Jesus In Hell is an emotional punch to the stomach with a couple of knees to the face for good measure. The word 'Hell' is mentioned in the book's description a few times, and I like to think that that is exactly what this novella is. A sudden decent into grief, rage, vengeance, and then, finally, Hell.

I don't want to go into the plot because it moves quickly and there are a few surprises along the way that will ruin it if I even begin with the set up. One thing I can tell you, howe...more
Paul Nelson
When We Join Jesus in Hell is an intense, dark and powerful read that will leave a big impression and wrench your emotions all over the place.
Fist is an ex-boxer who at the height of his career, packed it all in to be the man his family needed him to be and avoided the injuries that were sure to come. He settles into an ordinary if not boring life but that all changes in absolutely stunning fashion when he comes home one night slightly drunk and finds an intruder in his house.
Highly recommended...more
Peter Schwotzer
"When We Join Jesus In Hell" might just be Lee's best book yet. It is an emotionally devastating look into one man's journey through darkness, pain and suffering that will leave you shaken and breathless.

Lee's stories are always emotionally dark, with a richness and depth to his characters that few authors are able to achieve.

In "When We Join Jesus In Hell" the main character Fist suffers a life shattering experience when he gets home from work that irrevocably destroys what he was as a man, sen...more
Chris
There is so much going on in this novella. I read it once for the story. You have to do that because this one is going to rip you apart as you follow Fist from the shattering opening scene through one harrowing pivotal scene after another. I then read it again for all of the rest of the story. The symbolism. The literary references. The structure. The landscape as we progress becomes more surreal, the characters more symbolic and archetypal, as we drop from one level to the next and finally into...more
Most of you know by now I'm a big fan of Lee Thompson. I have quite a few reviews around here from his epic Division series. When We Join Jesus in Hell is a notable departure from his Division mythos, but it is a testament to Thompson's awesome, dark imagination.

When We Join Jesus in Hell is a great read, but it is also a tough read. It is brutal and heartbreaking. It won't be for everyone, but for those of you who appreciate dark, unapologetic, and emotional stories, it will leave its mark and...more
Kate

This is one of the most gut-wrenching stories I've ever read. The main character is so broken by the events of the beginning of the book that right from the start you get a sense that there will be no happy ending.
As the story progressed I felt as though I was being pulled down into the hellish abyss with Fist, a genuinely distressing experience.
Some of the images and characters in the story have stayed with me long after finishing the book.
To say this book packs an emotional punch is an unders...more
Bill
Excellent!! A fast and furious revenge novel that grabs you and will not let go. Once I started reading, I absolutely could not put it down - I had to finish, to see the story to the bitter end. I haven’t rooted for a protagonist like “Fist” that hard in a long time. Lee Thompson kicks ass with this novel and gets straight to the heart of the reader, albeit a dark and vengeful heart.
Brett Talley
Dark. Chilling. Disturbing. Heartbreaking. A trip through grief and torment and vengeance. A great piece.
Pierre
This is a brilliant novella that takes you into the mind of a man who looses everything in the most tragic and shocking circumstances and then walks a path of destructive revenge. When everything you love is violently taken away from you, what would be your remaining thoughts looking back on your life and your descent into the insidious trappings of family routine? What would be your regrets? What are all the things you wish had been different, the words you wished you had said but left unsaid?
H...more
Alejandro Canton-Dutari
I was attracted by the strong title, and was expecting some religious conflict. Was I ever mistaken!
A startling image summarized this work: "What's up with your eyes?" "One is for viewing the living. The other for appreciating those not."
This is a long story, or perhaps a novella, that I could not put down until it ended. The author portrayed a main character that pursues an objective under the spell of a psychotic rage so poignant that my emotions felt caught in a runaway cart.
It was a great re...more
Larry Hogue
My god was this novella amazing. It was a very beautiful and heartbreaking book. i loved it so much
David Church
Easily one of the best Novellas I have ever read. To say this story was profound and full of life lessons, is an understatement. Anytime a story can make you reflect on your own life and make you look at life a little differently, it definitely is a good thing.
11811 (Eleven)
Congrats to the author on the Jack Ketchum blurb. It was well earned. This disturbing stroll through the ghetto is unique from any other revenge story I've read in the past. It is dark and depressing and I enjoyed every bit of it.
Alan Ryker
Nightmarish noir. Very good stuff.
Mark Matthews
I"m a newbie Darkfuse member reader, and this was the first book I got to. Such an amazing feat to pull off the tone throughout this novel, which I am guessing was very hard to write without sounding campy or half-tongue in cheek (like the movie Sin-City, for example, which I still loved but was different). Reality in the novel was dripping and fluid. The content is horrific, sure, but the mystical and surreality of the writing is what got me hooked. ('sur-reality,' just made that word up.)

Love...more
???!!!
I don't even where to began! Such a short story yet so powerful in every way, in every line. It checked every box I have that's essential for a good book and more.

I've just read Kealan Patrick Burke's the Grief Frequency which kinda share similar story. Yet this book is so dark and deep and thought provoking at the same time. I never thought a horror novel could be like this. I have way more to read and learn.

I do have to say that I don't really feel this book is horror. Similar to KPB Lee Thomp...more
Shaun Ryan
One of my favorite new authors, Thompson blends elements of horror and crime noir, as well as his own unique take on the spiritual and metaphysical, all with his usual flair for the surreal, slipping shiny and reflective blades of truth between the ribs of the subconscious as he tackles deep and universal human issues light and warming as faith, love and devotion, and cold and dark as hate, vengeance, and death, which are so deeply personalized you'll be rooting for Fist, the book's hard-bitten...more
Ken
"When We Join Jesus in Hell" is a rather brutal and atmospheric story of vengeance and self-reflection. The protagonist walks about in a state of something between madness and dreamland, hunting for a gangbanger that destroyed his family.

4 STARS
Robby
Mar 15, 2013 Robby rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dark Fiction Fans
Recommended to Robby by: No one / Yet, everyone
Shelves: kindle-edition
(4.5) This was my first digital read/ebook. I must say, I bought my new kindle fire HD because of reading the reviews of my friends on Goodreads.com for (Lee Thompson) books/stories. I wanted to see for myself. I was not disappointed. This was my first, but not my last by this truly gifted author. This paticular novela was direct and to the point. The protagonist; a man's man. A course of direction many think of, but few take; before reality hits. Strongly recommend for anyone desiring Dark Fict...more
Daniel Drago
This was my first encounter reading Lee Thompson and I am very glad that I have found this new incredible author. He had great description and amazing characterization. This Novella first half never lets up and it instantly draws you into the story and the characters. I really wanted Fist to extract his revenge so bad that it moved me as a reader. Great quick read and highly recommended.

This is also my first book that I have received since joining Dark Fuse's EBook club and if this is any indica...more
Todd Russell
Talk about a shot out of cannon read! This fierce, emotionally draining tale about a retired boxer who seeks revenge upon a street thug for the murder of his family had me frantically turning pages. There is little time to breathe in the swift moving prose river. I was expecting something grander--some huge surprise or major character revelation--in the ending that didn't materialize, but I still loved this solid four-star read. 808 Kindle locations. Recommended.
K.j.
Justin
Reminded me of Tom piccirilli. Very good story but I was disappointed with the length, it seemed short for a novella. I will definitely read more of this author in the future though.
Marilou Johnson
Very dark and emotional decent into the revenge that a man must take for the brutal assaults and deaths of his wife and daughter. Great novella. Well written.
Cecilia
What would you do if you came home from work one night to find your family in peril by a knife wielding man driven only by hatred and the desire for destruction?!

Wow!!!!! Right off the bat, the author slam-dunks your emotions into a hornet's nest leaving you startled, shocked and stung with disbelief as to the evil that some men are capable of and how far one man will go for justice and revenge to redeem himself in the eyes of his family and restore the honor and love he feels he lost years bef...more
Horror Aficionados : Be A Character in My Next Novel 4 34 Feb 08, 2014 10:26AM
Horror Aficionados : My First Video Q & A 2 9 Dec 06, 2013 04:04PM
Horror Aficionados : When We Join Jesus in Hell by Lee Thompson *SPOILERS* 211 309 Feb 02, 2013 07:31AM
  • Snowblind
  • Dweller
  • The Light is the Darkness
  • Mr. Midnight
  • Lilith
  • The Hides (Timmy Quinn #2)
  • The Wicked
  • The Summer I Died
  • Girls & Monsters
  • Crawlspace
  • The Genesis Code
  • Season of the Wolf
  • You Shall Never Know Security
“Lee Thompson knows his horror-noir. He fuses both genres together in the turmoil of terror, tragedy, blood, guilt, and lost chances at redemption.”–Tom Piccirilli, author of THE LAST KIND WORDS

Lee Thompson is the bestselling author of the Suspense novels A BEAUTIFUL MADNESS (August 2014), IT’S ONLY DEATH (January 2015), and WITH FURY IN HAND (May 2015). The dominating threads weaved throughout hi...more
More about Lee Thompson...
Before Leonora Wakes Iron Butterflies Rust Nursery Rhymes 4 Dead Children A Beautiful Madness Within This Garden Weeping