Start by marking “Dragon Thunder: My Life with Chogyam Trungpa” as Want to Read:
Dragon Thunder: My Life with Chogyam Trungpa

Dragon Thunder: My Life with Chogyam Trungpa

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  138 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
“It was not always easy to be the guru’s wife,” writes Diana Mukpo. “But I must say, it was rarely boring.” At the age of sixteen, Diana Mukpo left school and broke with her upper-class English family to marry Chögyam Trungpa, a young Tibetan lama who would go on to become a major figure in the transmission of Buddhism to the West. In a memoir that is at turns magical, tro ...more
Published February 26th 2008 by Shambhala (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Thunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Thunder

Lena
Apr 24, 2008 Lena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Diana Mukpo was a rebellious teenager when she first began studying with Chögyam Trungpa, a Buddhist Rinpoche who had escaped Tibet in 1959 and began teaching in England several years later. She was just sixteen when they defied both her family and his community to marry.

Dragon Thunder is Diana's memoir about her 17 years as the wife of one of the most influential Buddhist teachers in America. The book is written in straight narrative that lacks the literary flourishes common to modern memoirs,
Ryan Kovacsik
Feb 05, 2015 Ryan Kovacsik rated it it was amazing
I gave this 5 stars because for me it was amazing. I have always had an affinity for the teachings of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche (Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism is one of my favourite spiritual books), and I've always known about some of his controversial behaviors, so to be able to get such an intimate, first person account of his life from someone who most likely knew him better than anyone else, was something quite special.

The style of writing is very direct and simple, so you won't read
Brian
Aug 24, 2008 Brian rated it liked it
Dragon Thunder is Diana Mukpo's memoir of her marriage to the controversial Tibetan Buddhist teacher Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, the founder of what is now known as the Shambhala organization. The book can be a bit ponderous and is not recommended for the casual reader, but it provides a unique history of the evolution of Trungpa's life and teachings. Although Mukpo, like many of Rinpoche's students, has a tendency to explain away some of his apparent vices, she's remarkably candid and speaks hone ...more
John
Aug 16, 2010 John rated it liked it
A pretty candid and revealing memoir of the author's life with the Tibetan Buddhist teacher. I enjoyed the book and read it quickly. (The middle chapters - full of digressions on the history and art of dressage, a specialized form of horse "riding" and equestrian competition - almost demand to be skimmed.)
Mukpo doesn't hold back. Early on she tells that Trungpa forgot her name the day after their wedding! She tells of numerous "adventures", his constant affairs, and her many and sometimes violen
Ruby
Aug 05, 2013 Ruby rated it really liked it
This book could absolutely be used as a case study in psychology classes on the nature of co-dependent relationships. Diana comes from a broken home with a narcissistic mother, and marries Trungpa, 15 years her senior, when only 16 years old. The book is full of her excuses for his wild, narcissistic behavior. He was a charming leader, and, of course credited with bringing Buddhism to mainstream American culture, but he was also a huge personality who steam-rolled everyone around him, and lived ...more
Lisette
Nov 26, 2008 Lisette rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Tibetan Buddhism
Recommended to Lisette by: Ben Black
This was a very intriguing book - a personal account of an English woman's marriage to a very influential Buddhist spiritual leader from Tibet. Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche was the founder of the Shambhala school of Buddhism (same lineage that Pema Chodron is a part of), and helped found the first Buddhist university in the United States. Married at only 16 years old (Chogyam Trungpa was 28 at the time), Diana found herself in a very unusual marriage to a dynamic and complex man. Towards the end I f ...more
Ann
Jul 03, 2011 Ann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
This book was nothing like a expected. Knowing the spiritual background about Chogyam Trungpa left me with judgments of what I thought he would be like in everyday life. Boy was this book a lesson on judgments. I loved it because he was as human as human can get with all kinds of quirky "flaws", if you will. It gave me hope that even I can grow spiritually while still being very human....and very flawed!

Very interesting read if you like Biographies. I admire his wife a lot.
Sally
Dec 13, 2008 Sally rated it liked it
This book is one of those "I lived with and loved a famous person" books...in this case one of the Buddhist spiritual leaders who was responsible for bringing Buddhism to the west - Chogyam Trungpa. His estranged British wife tells her tale of meeting him as a teenager, falling in love and marrying. Their wild ride takes them all over the world - landing for the longest time in Colorado. It's a bit gossipy, but interesting nonetheless.
Kissiah
Jan 09, 2014 Kissiah rated it really liked it
Brilliant, layered, telling. I found the book to be quite authentic and revealing of important secrets hidden in the life of a man whose very existence changed Buddhism. Thoroughly enjoyed the read.
Christine
Oct 11, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
Super interesting book. This person brought Tibetan Buddhism to the west and I'm blown away by the information and knowledge he embodied. Also a humble reminder that one can be a person And make mistakes and still be an enlightened being. People's ideas of perfection don't apply. Even though I felt Diana at times could be viewed as pandering to his guru-mess or making excuses for him.
Suzanne Gilman
Cross between celebrity bio and dharma discourse -- an extremely readable overview of the teachings of Trungpa Rinpoche in the west by his widow, the westerner Diana Mukpo. It has helped me to understand more the Shambhala practice and world-view which brought forth the ancient Tibetian Buddhadharma through Trungpa's vision and energy.
Bee
Jan 17, 2013 Bee rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism, biography
A very candid and insightful view into the live of Chögyam Trungpa, and especially interesting for seeing it from his wife's perspective. She led a most amazing life, married to (arguably) one of the most realized people of the 20th century. Fascinating
Heather
Mar 02, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
This book is illuminating to say the least. It is not well written, but it is not hard to read. I am amazed by the scientific approach CTR approached teaching buddhism to Westerners. This book twisted my mind and led to a lot of debates among friends.
Kai Drumm
Dec 20, 2014 Kai Drumm rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirit
Greatly enjoyed reading this honest, very human account of Diana Mukpo's 17 year marriage to Chogyam Trungpa. Truly an extraordinary legacy that continues to deeply affect the lives of many people in the west who are thirsty for meditation training.
Maaike
Mar 05, 2011 Maaike rated it really liked it
Interesting insight into the early years of the Shambhala world. Cool to see names of people that I know in print.
Trish
Mar 26, 2013 Trish rated it liked it
I loved the parts about Chogyum, though I wished I had heard more about her own practice.
Trish
May 04, 2010 Trish rated it liked it
Interesting perspective of the Shambhala Community and Chogyam Trungpa's life.
Jane Wang
I saw a great life of an amazing, devoted person.
Alicia
Dec 11, 2009 Alicia added it
awesome read, though a bit wordy at times. intriguing story about a bold, european teen who marries a prominent buddhist against her family's wishes. then their extraordinary life in America, spreading the Buddhist word to this country. VERY INTERESTING!
Erik De paauw
Erik De paauw marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Cleyton B C Tioyama
Cleyton B C Tioyama rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Dwayne Jungman
Dwayne Jungman rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Dudley
Dudley marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
M
M rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Marismaris
Marismaris marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Mohamed Lotfy
Mohamed Lotfy rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Amy
Amy added it
Jan 03, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Born in Tibet
  • Escape from the Land of Snows: The Young Dalai Lama's Harrowing Flight to Freedom and the Making of a Spiritual Hero
  • Secret of the Vajra World: The Tantric Buddhism of Tibet
  • Dream Yoga and the Practice of Natural Light
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
  • Dakini's Warm Breath: The Feminine Principle in Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Jewel Ornament of Liberation: The Wish-Fulfilling Gem of the Noble Teachings
  • Gautama Buddha
  • Sex, Mom, and God: How the Bible’s Strange Take on Sex Led to Crazy Politics--and How I Learned to Love Women (and Jesus) Anyway
  • The Neighbor: Three Inquiries in Political Theology
  • Sayings of the Buddha: New Translations from the Pali Nikayas
  • My Spiritual Journey
  • The Heart Is Noble: Changing the World from the Inside Out
  • Augustine: A Very Short Introduction
Lady Diana J. Mukpo (née Diana Pybus) is the widow of the Tibetan Lama Chögyam Trungpa.
More about Diana J. Mukpo...