Start by marking “Allanon's Quest (Paladins of Shannara, #1)” as Want to Read:
Allanon's Quest (Paladins of Shannara, #1)

Allanon's Quest (Paladins of Shannara #1)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,744 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
The legendary hero Allanon takes center stage in the first of three gripping new stand-alone eBook short stories set in the world of the fantasy-fiction phenomenon that is Shannara—by beloved New York Times bestselling author Terry Brooks.

The history is thus: The once-Druid Brona, seduced by his pursuit of dark magic, was forever transformed into the Warlock Lord—whose e
Published July 9th 2012 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Allanon's Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Allanon's Quest

The Sword Of Shannara by Terry BrooksThe Elfstones of Shannara by Terry BrooksRunning with the Demon by Terry BrooksA Knight of the Word by Terry BrooksAngel Fire East by Terry Brooks
The Shannara series, chronological
12th out of 32 books — 2 voters
The Sword of Shannara by Terry BrooksThe Elfstones of Shannara by Terry BrooksRunning with the Demon by Terry BrooksA Knight of the Word by Terry BrooksAngel Fire East by Terry Brooks
The Shannara Chronicles
12th out of 33 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

I admit it. I'm a Shannara fan, for all its blatant borrowing from The Lord of the Rings, for all its cliched and predictable plotlines, I can usually find a lot to enjoy in Terry Brook's fertile imagination. I've read more than my far share of the Shannara series in all its spin-offs and sideways travels, and though it's far from great literature, or even great fantasy, this short ebook reminds me of why I had such fondness for this author, and thi
Verity Brown
Jul 13, 2012 Verity Brown rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Fans who want ANYTHING Shannara

Allanon is and always has been my favorite character in all of fiction, and I would have been happy to read a story about him when he was younger and less indomitable...but that story should NOT take place right before The Sword of Shannara. The Allanon from whose POV we see this story has very little resemblance to the Allanon whose POV we get a few glimpses of in Sword.

In fact, you'd think that if an author was going to write a story that takes place immediately before one of his previous book
Shaheen
Sep 03, 2012 Shaheen rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
A novella chronicling Allanon’s quest to find the last Shannara heir? Count me in! I was expecting this novella to be an eye-opening read that answered a lot of the questions I had and still have about the events between The First King of Shannara and The Sword of Shannara. But I found myself disappointed – mainly because this novella is so short it really can’t do justice as a prequel to The Sword of Shannara.

Repetitive and lacklustre are the two words that come to mind when I think about the w
Michael S.
Aug 16, 2012 Michael S. rated it it was ok
About the literary equivalent of one of those little, bite-sized snickers. For 99 cents, it's worth reading...barely.

Brooks continues to squeeze the Shannara grape for every last drop he can get...but sadly that grape ran out of juice about 6 or 7 books ago. Now it's just this barely moist, mushy pulp stuff and it's gone sour...not pleasantly fermented...just sour.

Brooks can be such a great writer. I just wish he could come up with a new world and a new story.

Casper
Jul 06, 2015 Casper rated it liked it
I was really keen on reading this, but had to wait so long by the time it had been released. This only built upon my anticipation, and with that setting my expectations unnecessarily high. When I began to read it, I was overly immersed. Being a huge fan of Shannara, I was really elated to finally begin reading something that related heavily to the classic Sword of Shannara, filling in a few holes on Shea Ohmsford's background, and giving a return to Allanon who hasn't been seen (not including th ...more
Sakura87
Quite useless: it’s just a fistful of pages about Allanon’s quest of the Shannara scion, the one who will wield the Sword against the new-reborn Warlock Lord.
Half of this brief tale it’s just a summary of the previous events that you can read in “The first King of Shannara” or in “The Sword of Shannara”.

Praticamente inutile: si tratta di una manciata di pagine relative alla ricerca di Allanon dell'erede Shannara che potrà brandire la Spada contro il Signore degli Inganni appena risorto.
Metà del
Scott
Mar 02, 2013 Scott rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Actually 3.5 stars but Goodreads doesn't do half stars.

It's a 3 star story with mediocre writing but if you've read Brooks before or are in any way invested in the Shannara history it's probably 4 stars because it fills in some of the gaps specifically how Allanon found the heirs of Shannara.

Recommended only if you are invested in the story and have read the other books
Chris
Pretty good little short story from Brooks. I really would only recommend it to longtime Shannara readers or someone about to start The Sword of Shannara. It might still be enjoyed otherwise, but wouldn't pack the same punch. Still, this is a good way to spend 30 minutes if you enjoy the Shannara world.
Artemas
Sep 12, 2012 Artemas rated it really liked it
This was a fantastic short intro for the "Sword of Shannara." Anything with Allanon never disappoints. I probably would have given it 5 stars but I would have preferred if this story would have been longer and more fleshed out. Highly recommend for any Terry Brooks fan.
Ken
Aug 22, 2016 Ken rated it it was amazing
Terry Brooks at his best!!

Once I started reading, I could not stop, as frequently happens when I start reading a new story of Terry's!! It certainly brings a higher perspective and understanding of Allanon's long search for a Shannara heir, as told in the "Sword of Shannara"!! I recommend this story to any fans of Terry Brooks, but also any fans of really good Fantasy story-telling!! If you liked this and haven't read anything else by Terry Brooks, you absolutely owe it to yourself to read more,
Msjodi777
Jun 30, 2016 Msjodi777 rated it it was amazing
Time for some fantasy. Last year I started reading thru the Shannara books by Terry Brooks in chronological order. Started reading these when the first one came out in 1977 - yep, I'm pretty old - and read a bunch of them, then life got in the way, and I sorta stopped. So, this time, I'm gonna try to get all the way thru the whole series, and see if I can get all of the information out of it. This is the second book with Allanon in it and predates the original book, but I have to admit that I'm ...more
Aymee
Jul 31, 2012 Aymee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, shannara
It was so nice to go back and re-visit this world that first introduced me to the world of fantasy literature. I found it fascinating to see the journey Allanon went on to find Shea and begin the story that would span so many years.
Thea Wilson
Nov 15, 2014 Thea Wilson rated it really liked it
My Thoughts On The Book:

This is going to be just a mini review as it's hardly right to put out a full size review of a book that's only 40 pages long, not that this book is anything less than great as for a book so small it packs a punch for fans of Shannara. This short novella tells of events directly before Allanon's appearance in Shady Vale looking for Shea Ohmsford in The Sword Of Shannara.

Allanon is the last of the Druids and is desperately searching for the last heir of Shannara, the one p
Levi Valdez
Jul 11, 2012 Levi Valdez rated it it was amazing
This short story is awesome. Is a great addition to the Shannara timeline, if you like Terry Brooks then you will love this.
Seth Lee Straughan
Oct 04, 2012 Seth Lee Straughan rated it it was amazing
Great start...now the wait for the next two installments.
Judy Bullock
Mar 30, 2015 Judy Bullock rated it it was amazing
The Missing Link

Filling in the gap in the Shanarra series, Allanon's selection of Shea Olmsford as the true champion worthy of wielding the Sword of Shanarra comes into focus. Knowledge, shrouded in deceit necessitated by love and fear, sets Allanon on the path to find the orphan hidden in plain sight.

Terry Brooks is a genius and his Shanarra series magical. Entertaining and captivating, these books are "must read" items for epic fantasy enthusiasts. Enjoy!
Jim C
May 05, 2014 Jim C rated it liked it
A very short story that takes place before The Sword of Shannara which is the novel that started the entire series. In this story, Allanon is searching for an heir of Shannara to wield the sword.

I liked this quick story as the reader gets to visit with Allanon once again. It was a quick read that shows how Shea was hidden and how Allanon discovers his identity. Being a short story, I wasn't expecting much depth but this novella had some and fans of this series will enjoy this book.
Mark Adkins
Apr 27, 2016 Mark Adkins rated it liked it
This is a very short story that is set before the events that took place in the book Sword of Shannara. It does not really add anything to the overall Shannara story, it is more or less a time killer story. I think that only fans of the book series would like this story and as some of the other reviewers mention there are little things that contradict the book Sword of Shannara. Still for all its faults I did enjoy reading it over lunch, it kept me entertained.
Caroline Baisley
Jan 23, 2015 Caroline Baisley rated it it was amazing
Short But Good

A short story linking existing novels, the author manages to imbue suspense and convey character into a tale that primarily is an explanation of how Shea Ohlmsford comes to take on the quest of the Sword of Shannarah. If you are familiar with the novels, the name dropping is gratifying, but if you haven't read the novels, the story stands on its own merits.
Monique
Jul 29, 2016 Monique rated it it was ok
This short story follows Allalon as he attempts to find anyone with the Shannara blood. I was on the fence about this story, I wanted to read more about Allalon as I liked his character and felt it was killed too soon. However, I felt the stories plot was nonsensical, boring and not true to the character of Allalon. You could easily skip this series and nothing important would be missed. Definitely glad I borrowed this story from the library and didn't spend money on it.
Michael
Jan 26, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
Good short story of some event leading up to Sword of Shannara. It's been a while since I've read anything from Terry Brooks, so I had forgotten how good he is at immersing the reader into the Shannara universe, even with a short story. I'll be revisiting the older stuff as well as reading the new stuff soon.
M
May 07, 2014 M rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kindle
This was a pretty enjoyable little story. It was nice to see something written from Allanon's perspective, as he's a bit of a mysterious character in most of the books he shows up in. The story of how he found Shea Ohmsford was pretty cool, because while it wasn't something I ever thought about while reading The Sword of Shannara, it's pretty neat to get that bit of the story. Of course, reading this made me want to know more about what Allanon's been up to between books, but there isn't really ...more
Mallory Heart Reviews
Review of Paladins of Shannara: Allanon’s Quest
By Terry Brooks
5 stars
I had read some of the Shannara series years and years ago, and enjoyed them; then I particularly loved Terry Brooks’ “The Word and the Void” series. Going through a long period of avoiding fantasy, I had forgotten how excellent is Mr. Brooks. Only a few sentences of this novella put me back in the fantasy spirit. The Last Druid Allanon is on an almost impossible quest to find someone, anyone, with Shannara lineage, because the
Mark
Mar 01, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good, but short, story which really acts as a prequel to the first Shannara book (Sword of Shannara) in that it tells of Allanon's quest to find the last remaining survivor of the Shannara bloodline.
Kathy
Jun 19, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Terry Brooks has been the only fantasy writer in my life, although now I am hooked on the Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) series by George R.R. Martin. I enjoyed this short story about Allanon.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Jan 08, 2013 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Shelves: ebooks, 2013
This is an e-short story that helps promote Wards of the Fairie which was published in 2012. While I am not close to reading Wards of the Fairie in my quest to read the Shannara books in a chronological order, Allanon's Quest precedes The Sword of Shannara.
It may be a short story, but it explains the plot point of how Allanon knew to seek out Shea Ohmsford. Brooks is able to continue to build Shannara's world and to write another good fight scene. I wonder, since this is an ebook, will it be ea
Derek Karnes
Feb 24, 2015 Derek Karnes rated it did not like it
Why?

An invincible man ruins the unveiling of characters in this spoiler/prequel to a great series. Not sure who thought this was a good idea.
Gere Lewis
Apr 16, 2015 Gere Lewis rated it liked it
Short story about Allanon discovering who the heir to the House of Shannara is. I'm not the biggest fan of short stories, but this was a good one.
Bill Meehan
Nov 13, 2015 Bill Meehan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shannara fans
Shelves: kindle
Could be the first chapter in The Sword of Shannara. Tells about how Allanon ended up on the trail of Shea.
John Walkenford
Feb 12, 2014 John Walkenford rated it it was amazing
A great short story in the days just before the Sword of Shannara.
La Stamberga dei ...: Paladins of Shannara: Allanon's Quest 1 6 Sep 24, 2012 04:51AM
  • Legends II
  • The Last Threshold (Forgotten Realms: Neverwinter, #4; Legend of Drizzt, #23)
  • Griffin's Destiny (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy, #3)
  • War God: Return of the Plumed Serpent
  • Silverkin
  • The Dark Thorn
  • Jimmy and the Crawler (The Riftwar Legacy, #4)
  • Atlas of the Dragonlance World (Dragonlance Books)
  • King Javan's Year (The Heirs of Saint Camber, #2 )
  • The Younger Gods (The Dreamers, #4)
  • Soul Seeker (Lasniniar, #1)
  • The Wives of Israel (Women of Genesis, #4)
  • The Fall of Highwatch (Chosen of Nendawen, #1) (Forgotten Realms)
  • Robyn Hood: Wanted (Robyn Hood, Volume Two)
  • Grimm Fairy Tales Vol. 9
  • Circle of Thieves (Legends of Dimmingwood, #3)
  • The Vondish Ambassador (Ethshar, #10)
  • The Warlock Wandering (Warlock, #5)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more
More about Terry Brooks...

Paladins of Shannara (3 books)
  • The Weapons Master's Choice (Paladins of Shannara, #2)
  • The Black Irix (Paladins of Shannara, #3)