Allanon's Quest (Paladins of Shannara, #1)

Allanon's Quest (Paladins of Shannara #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  839 ratings  ·  63 reviews
The legendary hero Allanon takes center stage in the first of three gripping new stand-alone eBook short stories set in the world of the fantasy-fiction phenomenon that is Shannara—by beloved New York Times bestselling author Terry Brooks.

The history is thus: The once-Druid Brona, seduced by his pursuit of dark magic, was forever transformed into the Warlock Lord—whose e...more
Published July 9th 2012 by Del Rey

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

I admit it. I'm a Shannara fan, for all its blatant borrowing from The Lord of the Rings, for all its cliched and predictable plotlines, I can usually find a lot to enjoy in Terry Brook's fertile imagination. I've read more than my far share of the Shannara series in all its spin-offs and sideways travels, and though it's far from great literature, or even great fantasy, this short ebook reminds me of why I had such fondness for this author, and thi...more
Verity Brown
Jul 13, 2012 Verity Brown rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans who want ANYTHING Shannara

Allanon is and always has been my favorite character in all of fiction, and I would have been happy to read a story about him when he was younger and less indomitable...but that story should NOT take place right before The Sword of Shannara. The Allanon from whose POV we see this story has very little resemblance to the Allanon whose POV we get a few glimpses of in Sword.

In fact, you'd think that if an author was going to write a story that takes place immediately before one of his previous book...more
Shaheen
A novella chronicling Allanon’s quest to find the last Shannara heir? Count me in! I was expecting this novella to be an eye-opening read that answered a lot of the questions I had and still have about the events between The First King of Shannara and The Sword of Shannara. But I found myself disappointed – mainly because this novella is so short it really can’t do justice as a prequel to The Sword of Shannara.

Repetitive and lacklustre are the two words that come to mind when I think about the w...more
Michael S.
About the literary equivalent of one of those little, bite-sized snickers. For 99 cents, it's worth reading...barely.

Brooks continues to squeeze the Shannara grape for every last drop he can get...but sadly that grape ran out of juice about 6 or 7 books ago. Now it's just this barely moist, mushy pulp stuff and it's gone sour...not pleasantly fermented...just sour.

Brooks can be such a great writer. I just wish he could come up with a new world and a new story.

Casper
I was really keen on reading this, but had to wait so long by the time it had been released. This only built upon my anticipation, and with that setting my expectations unnecessarily high. When I began to read it, I was overly immersed. Being a huge fan of Shannara, I was really elated to finally begin reading something that related heavily to the classic Sword of Shannara, filling in a few holes on Shea Ohmsford's background, and giving a return to Allanon who hasn't been seen (not including th...more
Sakura87
Quite useless: it’s just a fistful of pages about Allanon’s quest of the Shannara scion, the one who will wield the Sword against the new-reborn Warlock Lord.
Half of this brief tale it’s just a summary of the previous events that you can read in “The first King of Shannara” or in “The Sword of Shannara”.

Praticamente inutile: si tratta di una manciata di pagine relative alla ricerca di Allanon dell'erede Shannara che potrà brandire la Spada contro il Signore degli Inganni appena risorto.
Metà del...more
Scott
Actually 3.5 stars but Goodreads doesn't do half stars.

It's a 3 star story with mediocre writing but if you've read Brooks before or are in any way invested in the Shannara history it's probably 4 stars because it fills in some of the gaps specifically how Allanon found the heirs of Shannara.

Recommended only if you are invested in the story and have read the other books
Chris
Pretty good little short story from Brooks. I really would only recommend it to longtime Shannara readers or someone about to start The Sword of Shannara. It might still be enjoyed otherwise, but wouldn't pack the same punch. Still, this is a good way to spend 30 minutes if you enjoy the Shannara world.
Artemas
This was a fantastic short intro for the "Sword of Shannara." Anything with Allanon never disappoints. I probably would have given it 5 stars but I would have preferred if this story would have been longer and more fleshed out. Highly recommend for any Terry Brooks fan.
Aymee
It was so nice to go back and re-visit this world that first introduced me to the world of fantasy literature. I found it fascinating to see the journey Allanon went on to find Shea and begin the story that would span so many years.
Levi Valdez
This short story is awesome. Is a great addition to the Shannara timeline, if you like Terry Brooks then you will love this.
Seth Straughan
Great start...now the wait for the next two installments.
Jim C
A very short story that takes place before The Sword of Shannara which is the novel that started the entire series. In this story, Allanon is searching for an heir of Shannara to wield the sword.

I liked this quick story as the reader gets to visit with Allanon once again. It was a quick read that shows how Shea was hidden and how Allanon discovers his identity. Being a short story, I wasn't expecting much depth but this novella had some and fans of this series will enjoy this book.
Maxwell Heath
This was a pretty enjoyable little story. It was nice to see something written from Allanon's perspective, as he's a bit of a mysterious character in most of the books he shows up in. The story of how he found Shea Ohmsford was pretty cool, because while it wasn't something I ever thought about while reading The Sword of Shannara, it's pretty neat to get that bit of the story. Of course, reading this made me want to know more about what Allanon's been up to between books, but there isn't really...more
Mallory Heart Reviews
Review of Paladins of Shannara: Allanon’s Quest
By Terry Brooks
5 stars
I had read some of the Shannara series years and years ago, and enjoyed them; then I particularly loved Terry Brooks’ “The Word and the Void” series. Going through a long period of avoiding fantasy, I had forgotten how excellent is Mr. Brooks. Only a few sentences of this novella put me back in the fantasy spirit. The Last Druid Allanon is on an almost impossible quest to find someone, anyone, with Shannara lineage, because the...more
Kathy
Terry Brooks has been the only fantasy writer in my life, although now I am hooked on the Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) series by George R.R. Martin. I enjoyed this short story about Allanon.
Hikerdee
Jan 08, 2013 Hikerdee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Shelves: 2013, ebooks
This is an e-short story that helps promote Wards of the Fairie which was published in 2012. While I am not close to reading Wards of the Fairie in my quest to read the Shannara books in a chronological order, Allanon's Quest precedes The Sword of Shannara.
It may be a short story, but it explains the plot point of how Allanon knew to seek out Shea Ohmsford. Brooks is able to continue to build Shannara's world and to write another good fight scene. I wonder, since this is an ebook, will it be ea...more
John Walkenford
A great short story in the days just before the Sword of Shannara.
Mike

This story breathes new life into a long lived literary world. The Shannara series is a fixture in the fantasy world. Unfortunately with some long running series, some parts can be repetitive or stale. This story injects a new spark into a venerable body of work.

This story is a prequel to the original trilogy and tells how the not-so-old wizard type character locates the inevitable farm boy/hero. It's a very good little story. Even if you've never read the Shannara series, this short story is a

Helena
A very good short story.
Tom Boshell
A nice little side-jount into Allanon's preparation to find the sword bearer. It has been sooooooooo long since I read The Sword of Shannara. I was back in High School when I read it. The good think is that this does stand-alone if needed, but is 100% better if you know the story and what is going on. Brings a bit more light on why he had such a hard time with convincing Shea (?) back then (if I remember correctly)
Roberta
This short story is set right before the beginning of The Sword of Shannara. And it tells how Allanon found out about Shea.
I think it does not surprise any fan of Terry Brooks that it begins with Allanon entering a tavern.

This short story was nice to read, and Brooks way of writing is always pleasant, but it did not feel necessary to the story of Shannara or Allanon's.
Jim
Feb 27, 2013 Jim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
I can't say I have much to say about this short story by my favorite author. It was well-written, and it was nice spending time with Allanon again, but there wasn't much meat to this story at all. Still, it was a nice little look into events that happened right before the Sword of Shannara begins, and for that it's worth the time it takes to read and enjoy iy.
Peter O'Shea
Very short little book but ideal for me as I have read the Genesis of Shannara series and was thinking about reading the other Shannara books. This short story allowed me to test the water and has helped me make the decision to read the other books from the start now.
Martin St-laurent
It had been some time since I first read the sword of Shannara. Reading this prequel made me want to read the series again. I recommend this short book to anyone who loves the world of Shannara. Although it is short, it has a fairly god pace and the feeling of doom that comes with the return of the warlock lord is very well conveyed.
Rob Melhorn
This is just a short story that is currently only available as a digital download. It was worth the .99 I paid for it but it lacked the completeness of a full book IMO. It has been said on his website that once he has completed several more of these type of short stories that he will release them all as a collection.
Erik
Having been many years since I read Sword of Shannara, it was interesting to read this short prelude to the original adventure. If you like the Shannara series, this will not disappoint, if you have never read any books in the Shannara series, this is a great introduction, and a great example of Terry Brooks writing style.
Casey Wheeler
This is a fantastic short story that fills in the gaps as to how Allanon found Shea Ohmsford as the last surviving member of the Shanarra family to battle the Warlock Lord and the Skull Bearers. It is well written as are all of Terry Brooks books in this series. I truly appreciate this short addition to the lore of Shannara.
Ryan Lawler
Short and sweet, plenty of fun, was good to see Allanon back in action. The story felt slightly restricted by a self imposed need to tie into the Sword of Shannara. Hopefully the other two short stories in this Paladins of Shannara series aren't subject to these restrictions.

Definitely worth buying at $0.99
Mia Darien
I liked this one more than I thought I would, as I haven't liked all of the Terry Brooks stuff I've read as an adult. (Like when I re-read "The Sword of Shannara" as a grown-up and realized it was "Lord of the Rings"...) Still, this one was a nice little "prologue" to the first book and was enjoyable.
La Stamberga dei ...: Paladins of Shannara: Allanon's Quest 1 6 Sep 24, 2012 04:51AM
  • Stardeep (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #3)
  • Magician's End (The Chaoswar Saga, #3)
  • Web of Darkness (The Fall of Atlantis, #2)
  • The Dark Thorn
  • The Collected Stories: The Legend of Drizzt
  • The First Confessor (The Legend of Magda Searus, #1)
  • Taking Flight
  • Griffin's Shadow (Griffin's Daughter Trilogy, #2)
  • Black Wolf (Sembia #4)
  • The Viscount and the Witch (Riyria Chronicles, #1.5)
  • Mentats of Dune (Schools of Dune, #2)
  • King Javan's Year (The Heirs of Saint Camber, #2 )
  • Dragonsteel
  • Legends II
  • The Younger Gods (The Dreamers, #4)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received...more
More about Terry Brooks...
The Elfstones Of Shannara  (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #2) The Sword of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy #1) The Talismans Of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara #4) The Wishsong of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy #3) Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #1)