Books to Die For

Books to Die For

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The world's leading mystery writers have come together to champion the greatest mystery novels ever written. In a series of personal essays they often reveal as much about themselves and their work as they do about the books that they love.
Published October 2nd 2012 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published August 30th 2012)

Ellen
Full disclosure: I was the editorial assistant on this book, so I can't pretend to be objective. But it's a wonderful collection for anyone who's ever looked at a bookstore or library shelf and thought, "Already read that, read that, read that, read that..."
Hana Howard
Lucky is the mystery fan that gets this book as a gift for Christmas. This is not just a book to read, but to savor. The stories picked are from around the world and the perspective of all the contributors seems to be that the mystery form understands that plot comes out of character.

The authors have put together an anthology of essays written by mystery writers about their favorite mystery writers and their works. Because the contributors were asked to choose books that were of a personal natur...more
Jean
Books to die for is a fun read, but beware - if you are a fan of mysteries, it will add many books to your "to read" list. It's non-fiction, a listing of favorite books by mystery writers. The list is chronological, beginning with Wilkie Collins, Poe, and Sherlock Holmes. (I learned that Holmes afficionados never say the name of the author, since it's assumed that Holmes is/was a real person.) The discussion on each book included how the author found it and why it is a favorite, and how it deser...more
Tim Niland
One of my favorite authors, John Connolly, co-edited this fascinating book where well known mystery and crime fiction writers recommend one book that influenced them or that they particularly enjoyed. The books are are arranged chronologically by recommendation beginning with classics like Edgar Alan Poe's Daupin stories and the Tales of Sherlock Holmes. After that, they move into the classic era of American crime fiction with writers like Michael Connelly developing entries on Raymond Chandler,...more
Jason Goodwin
Oct 02, 2012 Jason Goodwin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: crime
I confess - I'm a contributor to this collection, with a piece on the neglected crime writer Nicolas Freeling's Van der Valk mysteries.
The rest of the book is stuffed with excellent essays and suggestions for a good crime read!
Carol
Books to Die For is like an appetizer what with its recommendations of the greatest mystery stories by the authors who are currently writing in this genre. These essays will stimulate your appetite for more.

This is a book to own. I call it a dipping book, dip in and out and find something new with each reading. I could not possibly read all the wonderful books suggested but have chosen one or two to add to the pile. Edmund Crispin's (1946) The Moving Toyshop enthusiastically presented
by Ruth Du...more
Zakariah Johnson
What fun! This collection of essays on great mystery novels by great mystery novelists is like having an intimate conversation on lit with all your favorite writers, or perhaps being Goodreads buds with them. I enjoyed this immensely, and discovered a few new writers via this book--both as contributors and subjects--whom I'll be checking out. Best moment for me: Joseph Wambaugh's recollection of how his wife became "the only woman ever to sleep in Truman Capote's bed" was also to die for.

p.s. Un...more
Pat
Feb 06, 2013 Pat rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
I got this book as a reference for some new mysteries but what a treat of a book! Novels are reviewed by mystery writers. Some of the novels listed I have already read but I enjoy reading the author/reviewers comments to see what new insights I can gather. There are also a number of novels listed that I own but have not gotten around to reading, and the reviews are getting me excited again for why I bought the book and what interested me about it. The third part are books I have either not heard...more
Lee Thompson
Dec 19, 2012 Lee Thompson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody who enjoys Crime Fiction
Recommended to Lee by: john connolly
A treasure trove. If you love Crime fiction and authors like John Connolly, Dennis Lehane, James Lee Burke, Lee Child, Karin Slaughter, etc., go grab this bastard!
Kerryn Whiteside
A wonderful resource - short essays and reflections by modern authors on some of the great classics of crime and noir. I am discovering authors right left and centre!
Sps
This could make an excellent introduction and genealogy chart for the genre. Or I guess genres: thriller, mystery, crime novel, and all their variations.

Some writers approached their contributions like a book report, others like an an English lit analytic paper, others like a memoir or a booktalk. David Peace tried to write like his subject, Dashiell Hammett; I didn't care for it. Rebecca Chance had a more successful fun and big-vocabularied take on Dorothy Sayers's Lord Peter stories, but even...more
Ash
This book was the surprise of the year! I honestly do not know why I was thinking before I read the book that it was going to be suffocating and insanely academic approach to the whole crime/mystery genre.

Why did I think this? Especially when the book covers told me it was mystery novelists discussing their favorite mystery novels. I should have known right there I was in store for the most intellectual, honest, funny, love-letter type gab fest out there. I was introduced to authors who I've ne...more
Carole Barrowman
If you were to choose what mystery deserves a place in the canon of crime fiction what would it be? While you consider your choice, the "world's greatest mystery writers" have already picked theirs in this anthology edited by John Connolly and Declan Burke. This is an engaging, erudite and substantial anthology about the "world's greatest mystery novels."

Organized chronologically starting with J. Wallis Martin's essay on Poe and closing with Anne Perry's selection of Mark Gimenez's "The Perk" (2...more
Natalie Tyler
This book is a collection of essays in praise of other mystery authors written by mystery writers themselves. Some of the essays are quite brilliant and some of them will make you add more titles or authors to your "TBR" shelf.

I was stunned by some of the omissions, however. But these gaps are what one expects in a book that is essentially a compilation of very good essays. The book is certainly not the final word on which books from the past are worth reading but it will entice you. The quality...more
Ange
Only reading the few authors I know who are critiquing the classics. Didn't care for Rita Mae Brown. Even though she is somewhat local, reading just one of her books were enough.

Now Michael Connelly is another matter. He tells how THE LITTLE SISTER By Chandler is more than just his favorite. "The writer's job is to connect, to tap into the dark folds of the heart and soul, to make the reader nod--yes, I get it--withouth even realizing it. Shared experience. ... The great writer can find it in yo...more
Marcia
I bought this book both to see what books some of my favorite writers chose as their favorite mystery and to find some new writers to enjoy. For lovers of mystery writing, the chronological presentation gives you a great history of the genre.Some pieces say as much about the writer as their choice.For example, Elmore Leonard seemed to want to use his essay onThe friends of Eddie coyle as a chance to tell us how similar he is to Higgins. I was surprised that no one chose my favorite book of all t...more
GONZA
Wonderful, my favorite authors talk about their favorite thriller stories!!! Many I've read but much more I have not, so this was a great way to pick up new ideas for books to read and to find out more about my liebliengs writer!

Fantastico, alcuni tra i miei autori di gialli preferiti che parlano delle storie che più di tutte gli sono piaciute. Molte le avevo lette e le conoscevo ma molte di più invece le ignoravo, quindi questo libro è stato un ottimo metodo per scoprire nuovi libri da leggere...more
Michele
This was a book I picked out by chance from the library. I'm so glad I did! It's a book of essays by mystery writers on their favourite mystery. Beginning with Edgar Allan Poe and Charles Dickens and working up to modern-day writers, it's a great resource for anyone who loves mysteries or crime fiction. I plan to read my way through the list. There are 120 essays, so it might take me a while, but I'm sure I'll manage. I enjoyed some of the essays more than others, just as I am sure that I will e...more
Herzog
Just a brilliant concept having top notch mystery writers write brief pieces on their favorite mystery books. The authors of the pieces include so many of the best contemporary writers - Michael Connelly, Peter Robinson, Lee Child, Qiu Xiaolong, so many more. The book is ordered chronologically so that, of course, you get the classics - Poe, Dickens (!), Doyle, Hammett, Agatha Christie to current masters like Connelly and Lehane. For the uninitiated, a great introduction. For fans of the genre,...more
Wendy Hines
This is an off-beat must have book for mystery lovers! Several crime/mystery writers come together, in one volume. In short 'essay' form, the writer chooses a lesser known mystery and talks about why the love it, what inspired them from it, how it's clever and whatnot. It's a surefire way to find some new writers and books to read, that's for sure! A great book to keep on your bedside table and read at your leisure. It would also make a wonderful gift, this upcoming holiday season. It's beautifu...more
Tom Gorski
Interesting concept having 119 current day mystery/crime authors do a short essary on their favorite writer and book within the field. So you get things like Michael Connelly on Raymond Chandler's "The Little Sister" and Joe Nesbo on Jim Thompson's "Pop. 1280". Joseph Wambaugh chose Capote's "In Cold Blood" etc. etc. It has inspired me to go back and read some of the earlier writers that I'd skipped (like Dashiell Hammett).
Elizabeth
If you've seen me add a lot of books to my never ending books to read list, blame this book! A great reference work of the top murder,crime and thrillers to read with essays written by mystery authors. I loved reading their perspectives and why they chose the book they did. I also was able to acquaint myself with present mystery writers and their books. Now, when to read them all!
Tracy
I really enjoyed dipping in and out of this book. Some of the best mystery authors of our day, weigh in on their favorite mysteries and their authors. It was fun to see what they picked and why and even more enlightening to see what some constituted as a mystery....Rita Mae Brown picking 'Bleak House' was a pretty far out choice. I've never thought of that as a mystery!
Jenny
Current mystery authors write about their favorite mystery books providing an overview of the Genre. Only books available in English are included and the majority of the authors and books are American or British. To me the older selections were more interesting than the contemporary ones and it was interesting to see which books inspired which authors.
Rodney Farrell Sr
So many books and not enough time to read all of them but this anthology really helps to sort out the best of the genre... best mysteries and the best mystery writers. I will be keeping this book on my shelf and referencing its contents frequently. Thank you John and Declan for your labor.
Lynn
This book was kind of a slog for me. There were some interesting essays that led me to books and authors I was not familiar with which is a good thing. Many of the essays are about books that are quite old which is fine, but I would have liked more focus on the last ten years or so.
April
I found a few books to add to my want to read list in the mystery genre, as well as some interesting bits of information about their authors. The method of choosing the books "to die for" wasn't comprehensive, but it was worth a look.
Angela Clark
Great resource for learning about writer's I've not read before. After about the halfway point in the book I started putting in post-it tags to remind me to add some of the authors and books to my Goodreads reading list.
Saima
A compendium of crime writing of the last 100+ years. Most of the essays are written with much passion. This book gave me the idea to list all the mystery books I have been planning to read. I hope to read them all in 2014.
Carol
Essays by crime writers guiding us towards their favorite mystery, thriller or crime book. I couldn't help myself-I now have 4 pages of authors and books to read and enjoy, probably enough for the rest of my life.
  • Bibliotopia: Or, Mr. Gilbar's Book of Books & Catch-All of Literary Facts & Curiosities
  • The Lineup: The World's Greatest Crime Writers Tell the Inside Story of Their Greatest Detectives
  • Book Smart: Your Essential Reading List for Becoming a Literary Genius in 365 Days
  • Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction
  • The New Lifetime Reading Plan: The Classical Guide to World Literature, Revised and Expanded
  • The Little Guide to Your Well-Read Life: How to Get More Books in Your Life and More Life from Your Books
  • What Makes This Book So Great
  • The Child That Books Built: A Life in Reading
  • One for the Books
  • Phantoms on the Bookshelves
  • The Novel Cure: From Abandonment to Zestlessness: 751 Books to Cure What Ails You
  • Vintage Reading: From Plato to Bradbury, a Personal Tour of Some of the World's Best Books
  • Readings: Essays and Literary Entertainments
  • An Alphabetical Life: Living It Up in the World of Books
  • More Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason
  • The Day of the Jack Russell
  • 500 Great Books By Women
  • A Splendor of Letters: The Permanence of Books in an Impermanent World
John Connolly was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1968 and has, at various points in his life, worked as a journalist, a barman, a local government official, a waiter and a dogsbody at Harrods department store in London. He studied English in Trinity College, Dublin and journalism at Dublin City University, subsequently spending five years working as a freelance journalist for The Irish Times newspaper...more
More about John Connolly...
The Book of Lost Things Every Dead Thing (Charlie Parker, #1) The Gates (Samuel Johnson, #1) The Killing Kind (Charlie Parker, #3) Dark Hollow (Charlie Parker, #2)