Start by marking “Free Four: Tobias Tells the Divergent Story (Divergent, #1.1)” as Want to Read:
Free Four: Tobias Tells the Divergent Story (Divergent, #1.1)

Free Four: Tobias Tells the Divergent Story (Divergent #1.5)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  71,910 ratings  ·  4,414 reviews
#1 New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth retells a pivotal Divergent scene (chapter 13) from Tobias's point of view. This thirteen-page scene reveals unknown facts and fascinating details about Four's character, his past, his own initiation, and his thoughts about new Dauntless initiate Tris Prior.
Published August 21st 2012 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published April 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Free Four, please sign up.

Cassandra
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

9 3/4
Ok. I admit it. I have a crush on Four. And the thing is that...I'm a boy.
Booknut
I thought my Divergent obsession couldn't possibly escalate any further.

I mean Fourtris goodness? Check.
Kick-ass action? Check.

But a scene from Four's POV?

Well...check!

This scene (the knife-throwing scene) from Four's POV is perfect fangirling material. I read it, sat absorbed in the moment and then started sniffling at the fact Four wasn't real for a good hour...or two!

I love the complexity of his character and how real Four is. And sorry, I can't call him Tobias for some reason - it just
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
Oh man, this was awesome!

But I just wish there was more. Although it was quite lovely seeing things from Four's POV. You know, I've never really swooned over him or found myself connecting to him for some reason. But here I liked him a little more. I particularly enjoyed his observation of the other initiates. I thought that was pretty interesting and informative.

I like that she is not your typical pretty heroine but he finds her determination and solid strength attractive. I can love him a litt
Stacia (the 2010 club)
I just noticed for the first time that there's a comment directly above the review box which asks, "what did you think?"

Here's what I thought : Four! Four! Four! Four!

It's a short story. But man...is this a goodie. I hearts teh Four. That's my official stance.

Did I waste 99 cents on a 14 page story? Maybe I did (because really, this should have been a freebie for as short as it is), but his PoV made my night. I didn't realize he had a witty side hiding under all of that seriousness in book 1. I
Victoria
Ugh, I wish there was another edition of 'Divergent' from his POV! This made me want to reread both books again.
Brooke
OMGOSH, how do I love Four, let me count the ways...
It was so great to read this from his POV.
I loved remembering how Tris saw him, how she was annoyed with him because she thought he was being "mean" to her (when in actuality he was trying to save her!).
This just makes me want to read Insurgent even more...I cannot wait until May 1st!
karen
one of the best things about having an e-reader are these groovy little splinter-chapters and novellas available digitally that are meant to tide you over until the next book in a series comes out or to re-tell something from another perspective, and it is all fangirl and -boy squee-ish and a really nice thing that authors can do for us.

like this one.

a retelling of a key scene in divergent.

but…here's the thing. while i have loved almost all of the ones mira grant has put out there, and the patri
Sarah Ryburn
I am rather surprised by the scene choice–in talking with others who've read and loved Divergent, our shared expectation overwhelmingly seemed to be that Roth would pick either "capture the flag/ferris wheel" or "the fear landscape." She mentioned both of these scenes as possibilities she considered. On further reflection, I'm thinking that the fear landscape scene wouldn't have given much insight into the relationship–I think Tobias would have told us alot about himself but very little about hi ...more
Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥
I love how Veronica Roth chose this scene for Four's POV. Most authors who have been releasing scenes from the guy's POV lately, always choose a scene where they were making out or something (in which case she probably would have gone with Chapter 31). Like Clare's An Offering of Moonlight, or Jennifer L. Armentrout's Daemon Extra from Obsidian, which is fun, of course. But this scene of Tobias and Tris is before all that happened. When they were still figuring each other out. It has a range of ...more
Danae
Tobias <3 I loved him in Divergent but now I adored him. I thought he was just being mean so Eric won't suspect him, but he is so much better than that :)
Lady Vigilante (Feifei)
"Looking at her is like waking up."

description
♥ Becky  22
Oh my god.

It's from Four's point of view.

It's only 16 pages or something, but I'm so glad this exists.

Micheline (Lunar Rainbows Reviews)

This was much too short. Why do authors feel the need to tease us with the male's perspective? I've said it before and I'll say it again: I love reading a beloved female-driven story again from the male's perspective. It's my weakness.

Free Four an ideal excerpt to read before or after Insurgent as a way to better understand Four's character, his thought process and his feelings for Tris. He's a pretty great character, you have to admit and I'm thrilled at any kind of deeper insight int
Amber J.
Apr 24, 2012 Amber J. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Divergent
Recommended to Amber J. by: Veronica Roth's blog
Raise your hand if you were one of the 35,000 people that pre-ordered Insurgent to get Roth to reveal this Four POV scene.

Taylor says I

Four was my fave character from Divergent so I'm grateful we're given the chance to peer into his mind: to see what things were like when he was an initiate, what his plans were just before Tris arrived (view spoiler), and that he has...a fifth fear? (view spoiler)

Gabrielle Carolina
Oh, wow.

Can we just have a book from Four's perspective?

No offense Tris, but I love your man...

Whoa, Tris, watcha doin' with that knife?

*flails*

*scampers back to Candor and reminds self to shut mouth around the Dauntless*
Diane
Aaaahhh!! totally loved it! :) I think V. Roth should write a whole book on Four's POV cause this was really really cool.
Ta§chima Cullen
oooh Four, how I love you. This short story is awessome! I wish we could have the whole book from his perspective...

I feel like short e-novellas should have their own rating system, because sure they aren't the complete story but they bring something to the table. This story for example brought a LOT to the table when it comes to hundreds of beating hearts who lovingly wait for any mention of Four in Divergent. Free Four is a short re telling of Divergent through Four's eyes, and not just on any
Bel Watson
Apr 30, 2012 Bel Watson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
I'm still screaming. I just discovered this now and I can't believe I didn't know about it before!! what kind of person am I?
I love Four, I love him so much, he is one of my favorite male characters ever and this scene in particular is so intense, so strong, so vivid that I felt like dying and screaming and jumping all at the same time!
Veronica Roth, again, has demonstrated how incredible she is, how talented, how great.
Tomorrow comes out Insurgent and I believe this little but perfect story was
Inspired Kathy
Too short! I want more.
Ceilidh
WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?!

Seriously, I was pretty horrified by the glorified violence in Divergent, but this manages to be close to psychotic. Am I supposed to sympathise with this man? He's nasty, completely incapable of making any sort of comment without immediately tacking on some sort of insult, has a very messed up moral core, and is incredibly whiny.

Here's my big issue with this and Divergent. They seem to think that violence is cool, and advocate its use pretty strongly. There's a horrifi
Faye
"I can’t leave now. I like her too much. There, I said it.But I won’t say it again..."
Don't you just love Four?

May 1st hurry up please!
Emily
I absolutely adore this short piece! I see Four in a different perspective on this part which I find myself smirking/grinning a couple of times.

I love how he describes his love for Tris as: "thing for her". I couldn't help but grin helplessly in front of my laptop.

It's also interesting because you get to know Four better (his thoughts at that moment and his actions as well), you'll get a brief history about Eric's past as an initiate.

I do disagree with some of the readers saying that there shou
Fenia
OMG KILL ME WHY DON'T YOU??? Since I am too afraid to read Allegiant yet,i decided to read this,and OMG BEST CHOICE OF THE DAY!!! Tobias is so perfect!!! 'Looking at her is like waking up' he says,and i melt..Why does he have to be so perfect?? Ughh I hate that Allegiant isn't that good according to others. I need to know whats happening in the end,but at the same time i don't!!
Vasia
Four is amazing. i have nothing more to add.
Wendy
a little taste.

Sometimes the alternative POV really works (Graffiti Moon). Sometimes you need to burn it with fire (Midnight Sun).

I liked this and really hope Eric gets a knife to the throat sometime soon.
Ariana
'I like [this series] too much. There, I said it. But I won’t say it again'. (because I don't need too - it's obvious)
Jack
For book reviews and more, please visit my book blog, The Book Stop

"Interesting"

This was interesting. I was very intrigued when I heard about this short book. I wanted to know what Tobias was
Kruti
This was good! I'm glad Roth chose this particular scene to give us Four's POV. When reading this scene from Tris' POV, Four seemed like a typical jerk. He taunts her in front of the other initiates, demeans her and intentionally draws blood from her but after reading this, you gain a deeper understanding of why he did what he did. Let's be clear, I'm not saying what he did was right. He should have found some other way to throw the suspicion of him. One that didn't involve him throwing a knife ...more
Kat Stark

First Book: Divergent

It's a short chapter on Four's perspective during the knife throwing part of the initiation. Very short read, like super super short. Not really any new material regarding the characterization, but still a nice read if you enjoyed Divergent in all it's glory or if you go fangirling when it comes to Four. I'm not the type to do much of that, but I have to admit that there were a few times where I did throughout the novel.
What Scene would you want to see in four's pov? 67 334 Nov 23, 2014 06:32AM
Could you connect to Four? 8 81 Feb 28, 2014 06:46PM
Divergent: Free Four: Tobias tell the story 20 78 Nov 10, 2013 07:58PM
Club de Lectura p...: Lecturas Extras 3 24 Nov 03, 2013 09:09AM
Divergent: I am freaking out at this great news right now! 10 52 Sep 07, 2013 06:42PM
love Tobias: mini series 4 14 Aug 17, 2013 02:33PM
Divergence: Free Four 31 1405 Jun 18, 2013 06:07PM
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Raven (Delirium, #2.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • The Meeting (Vampire Academy, #1.1)
  • Life Before Legend (Legend, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)
  • Glitches (The Lunar Chronicles, #0.5)
  • An Iron Fey Valentine (The Iron Fey #4.4)
  • Endurance (Razorland, #1.5)
  • The Assassin and the Underworld (Throne of Glass, #0.4)
  • Radiant (Unearthly, #2.5)
  • In Time (The Darkest Minds, #1.5)
  • Ruled (Birthmarked, #2.5)
  • The Prince (The Selection, #0.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (The Grisha, #0.5)
Veronica Roth is from a Chicago suburb. She studied creative writing at Northwestern University, and wrote DIVERGENT (Katherine Tegen Books, May 2011) and INSURGENT (May 2012). The third and final book in The Divergent Trilogy, ALLEGIANT, will come out on October 22, 2013. In the meantime she will spend endless hours browsing Wikipedia in her pajamas as she eats corn flakes. (Or some other kind of ...more
More about Veronica Roth...
Divergent (Divergent, #1) Insurgent (Divergent, #2) Allegiant (Divergent, #3) The Transfer (Divergent, #0.1) Four: A Divergent Story Collection (Divergent, #0.1 - 0.4)

“I can’t leave now. I like her too much. There, I said it. But I won’t say it again.” 426 likes
“Looking at her is like waking up.” 334 likes