Start by marking “Ladle Rat Rotten Hut (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #4)” as Want to Read:
Ladle Rat Rotten Hut (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #4)

Ladle Rat Rotten Hut (The Grimm Diaries Prequels #4)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  1,267 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
Little Red Riding Hood's untold and true story. Why she was wearing a Red hood. Who her Grandma really was. What the wolf actually wanted. Where she fits in the Dreamworld. And what Ladle Rat Rotten Hut means.
Published July 21st 2012

To ask other readers questions about Ladle Rat Rotten Hut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ladle Rat Rotten Hut

Zuleeza
Aug 04, 2012 Zuleeza rated it really liked it
This review is also available on my blog, Qwerty

It puzzled me to actually admit this, but I think I'm kind of addicted to Cameron Jace's writing. Beyond all those spelling and grammar errors, awkward metaphors (I'm not any better myself to be honest), I get him as an author. I always read his books in a single sitting, and this didn't happen even for other novellas.

Ladle Rat Rotten Hut (it's a very random title, until you pronounce it ;)) is miles better than Beauty Never Dies, I think. No more
Filip
Feb 22, 2015 Filip rated it really liked it
Opět povedené a přečtené ve škole, protože tohle je jako droga - jakmile okusíte, už nebudete moci přestat! Svým způsobem to bylo trochu i strašidelné a tajemství, které si Červená Karkulka uchovává, bylo jako vždy šokující. Líbilo se mi to a to, jak Jace kombinuje pohádky se svou vlastní fantazií mě pořád udivuje! :3
Alexandra
Ja.
Nemôžem. :D
Úplne inak trhlé než tie predošlé trhlotiny
(také slovo nie je. Noa? Ja...potrebujem si trocha premyslieť ako to na mňa celé pôsobí. Všetko na čo sa zmôžem je, že ma to baví a stále sa iba spokojne usmievam. Jace má zjavne nekonečné množstvo nápadov ako využiť zdroje vo svoj prospech. A ako perfektne mu to zatiaľ ide!)

Zjavné je, že to bol zámer ale pri Čiapočkinej nevyváženej zmeske nálad a pri jej chovaní som sa cítila troška nesvoja.
Ako keď sedíte na rodinnej oslave pri hy
Adrián Biháry
...šialeno-geniálno-fantastické. neviem, odkiaľ to autor z hlavy berie, ale definitívne je to geniálne.
Toni
Apr 05, 2013 Toni rated it did not like it
These stories are just... I don’t know why I am even trying any more. It just gets more and more bizarre and itimidating...
description

Grammar & editing – do I have to mention this, yet another time? With the interjections every other paragraph it was almost like reading Old MacDonald had a farm:
And a woof-woof-woof there
Here a woof, there a woof,
Everywhere a woof-woof
Old MacDonald had a farm
Ee i ee i oh!

We have here: Crash. Crash. Crash.; Tick. Tick. Tinnnnnn; Chop. Chop. Chop.; Glock. Glock. Glock.;
Julie
This novella started off much better than the first three. The air of mystery surrounding this novella was much more inviting than in the others where the Dreamworld plot just confused me to no end. The whole aspect of the fortune-cookie-tree continually being thirsty for 'wine' was curiously intriguing.

I enjoyed the narrative. It was very different to the others and in my opinion much better. Maybe there's hope yet. However, it was not particularly reminiscent of a 15 year old. I will let that
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
This review was first posted on Northern Plunder, if you want to see more reviews please click here.

Meep, I adored this book so much. It definitely felt like one of the longer ones but it portrays Little Red Riding Hood as Death! Well, its actually her Mum to start with but once she reaches a certain age, Little Red takes over and this story follows her as she learns about what her Mum has been doing each night whilst she's been scared of Wolves and it also gets tied into Hansel and Gretal too.
Katherine
Jan 26, 2015 Katherine rated it really liked it
Boží!

“Ok,” I said. “Here is the deal. As long as you don't try to eat me, I will not chop your head off. Deal?”
“The best deal ever. I guess this is how all relationships work. You don’t eat a piece of me, I won’t grab a piece of you.”
Kerris
Feb 21, 2015 Kerris rated it really liked it
Wau, takhle uz jsem se dlouho nezasmala :D
Meghan K.
Jan 14, 2015 Meghan K. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short, fairytales
Překroucená verze Červené Karkulky? Nebo snad ta původní, opravdová? Každopádně hodně zajímavý "retelling" :)
Jinky
Sep 27, 2012 Jinky rated it really liked it
*Reviewing the prequels as a whole instead of individually*

I lucked out and discovered these prequels during the one-prequel-a-day freebie promotion (bummer, I missed the second book, I must have been having sex that day). What gems! They were strange yet fantastic twists to classic fairy tales. They were quick and enjoyable reads. The storytelling was imaginative with a touch of humor. I truly got a kick out of the takes and I think those who especially like fairy tale re-tellings will do too.
(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk)

This was a clever retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, where a 16-year-old girl is sent into the wolf-infested woods to take cakes and wine to her grandmother. Things weren’t really quite so straightforward though!

7 out of 10
Trinity
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

I liked this book much better than all of the other ones in the series. I think that this version was so much cooler than the real version of Little Red Riding Hood. The concept was really cool and I just want to read the novel already! I loved the communication thong the wolf did, I would like the learn that language!
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Little Red Riding Hood, an excellent choice and another great story from the Grimm Diaries Prequel.
Ashley Anne
Mar 10, 2017 Ashley Anne rated it did not like it
I literally fell asleep, on my lunch at work, while reading this. Not much going on in Red's head, that's for sure.
Nessa [October Tune]
Read this review, and many more on my blog October Tune!

I’m not sure why I started reading these prequels, but I think I was just really curious about this series. But I’d read very mixed reviews about it. Of course, I wanted to find out for myself if they really were as bad as everyone said, or as awesome as anyone said, and I must admit I have very mixed feelings about these prequels. This review is about the stories Beauty Never Dies, Laddle Rat Rotten Hut and Mary Mary Quite Contrary.

What I
Marsha
Jul 13, 2012 Marsha rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Adults
(3.5 Stars)
"Laddle Rat Rotten Hut" is one of my favorites in The Grimm Diaries Prequels. The story is a modified version of Little Red Riding Hood and is told from Red's perspective.

'Ladle' lives in the forest with her mother. Everyday her mother leaves Ladle alone while she goes off to the forest with a basket of cakes and wine. When she returns, she gives wines to the fortune cookie tree better known as The Tree of Life. Each night wolves descend on the little cottage scratching at the window
Carmen8094
Ladle rat rotten hut è il quarto tra i Grimm Diaries prequels di Cameron Jace, e, pur con le sue incongruenze, alcune scelte di cattivo gusto e dialoghi improbabili, è finora il migliore.
Il titolo riprende l'Anguish Language creato da Howard L. Chase, un linguaggio basato sul suono delle parole, piuttosto che sul loro significato. "Ladle rat rotten hut" sta per "Little Red Riding hood". E' infatti Cappuccetto rosso la protagonista di questa breve storia.

Cappuccetto è qui un'adolescente che vive
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
Original Review posted on Bookwyrming Thoughts

Disclaimer: I received this copy from the author for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not influence my review in any way.

*Formatting may be lost due to copy and paste.

I think Ladle Rat Rotten Hut had the best twist, and maybe also the scariest (though it wasn’t very scary), out of all the sequels I've read so far, even if it combines two of them (I thought there were 3). It was also a better job in combining multiple fairy tales than
Lily
Oct 10, 2012 Lily rated it really liked it
Review originally featured on Bookluvrs Haven

Now this is more like it!

This is what I was expecting from this series. An original, well written fairytale twist... no... TWO fairytales that we all know so well. Little Red Riding Hood and Hanzel & Gretel... Those two stories will never feel the same after you read this.

Every twist and turn of this story was woven well together. It flowed and connected, and it FIT!

Thank you for the much better editing job on this one. The sigh of relief was lon
Tricia (McAllister) Houseman
Jul 29, 2012 Tricia (McAllister) Houseman rated it really liked it
This prequel is narrated by Little Red Riding Hood.
This story being telling you of a little girl who is terrified of the wolves that scare her each night. One night on the advice of a stranger, she take a bottle of her mother’s wine, drinking it, spilling the red wine on the sheet covering her from the wolves sight. Once she has had enough, or is actually drunk enough, she kneels on her bed with the now-red sheet covering her. This scares the wolves, but she does not know why. Only that she dis
Holly Letson
Jan 09, 2013 Holly Letson rated it really liked it
This is the story of Little Red Riding Hood, who lives in a cottage with her mother, and is better known as Ladle. They have a tree outside their house that delivers a fortune cookie each day. Ladle thinks this tells her mother her fortune, but finds out differently later.
Ladle finds out accidentally to use wine to scare the wolves off. A girl knocks at her door, and tells her "Use the red, red wine.", and then flees. Ladle drinks the wine, and spills it on her white sheets, too. She uses the
Alpha
Oct 20, 2013 Alpha rated it it was amazing
The fourth prequel in the Grimm Diaries Prequels seems to show the improvement and progression Cameron Jace is becoming as an author. At first, I was confused on what the title meant until "Anguish Language" was explained. It is kind of like saying the words "Eye Yam Wheat Art Did Sofa King Read Art Did" but knowing that you are really saying to everyone "I am retarded. So f$@!ing retarded." to everyone else. So in prospect, this story is really "Little Red Riding Hood".

Like the title states, th
Gary
Jul 29, 2012 Gary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, own, 2012
Ladle Rat Rotten Hut (Grimm Diaries Prequel 4) continues Cameron Jace tradition of twisting the Grimm tales on themselves. If you have read his previous prequel then you are familiar if not fully understand of the world you’re about to inhabit. This diary entry is told from the point of view of Little Red Riding Hood.

There are several things that I liked about this novella. First was the unexpected treat of the Anguish Language. Second is this one relies on the stories told in the previous entr
Amel Armeliana
Liked this prequel. Have to admit, these prequels kinda makes me addicted. After finished one I can't wait to start another.

In this prequel little girl that we've known as red riding hood inherited her mother's job when she was turned 16. Just like her mother, her first job was brought cake and wine to someone in the forest who's name written in the fortune cookie tree. For her first job, red riding hood or ladle (that's the way her mom called her), she has to brought cake and wine to her grand
Stephanie
Jan 03, 2014 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Make it stop. These are getting torturous. For the first 3 paragraphs, I was fooled into hoping that this was where it was all going to come together in this series. Lil lady sporting the hood of Crimson had a distinct voice which had been lacking in the last 5 or so characters introduced to the series. Her odd habit of thrice repeating words was a delicious taste of the insanity lurking in a girl locked up by Mom for 16 years. And then it all fell apart...
What the what what? Early in the book L
Zachary Flye (Zach's YA Reviews)
Ladle Rat Rotten Hut: Told from the point of view of Little Red Riding Hood, this story is by far the best, at least out of the first four it is. While the twist on Red's story is a bit shaky, like Snow's is, as the story progresses it gets a bit better, and becomes more and more stable. There was a small bit of romance in this story and it was done to perfection, it didn't go either too fast or too slow and it felt right, while it wasn't quite realistic, the circumstances surrounding it helped ...more
Célia Dias
Feb 06, 2015 Célia Dias rated it really liked it
This was the book that I liked most so far. I've always loved this story and see it retold in this way was delicious.

In this book we are introduced to more characters, we have Little Red Riding Hood (Ladle), her mother, her grandmother, Hansel and Gretel and a werewolf.
Once again these stories collide in a funny way, Ladle's grandmother has two roles here and you should already know that by the characters' names.

The new part of the story is that the maternal line of Ladle is "death", the girl e
Mckenzie Richardson
(Free book from Kindle store.)As with the first three prequels, I liked the story, but hated the writing. The relationship between the wolf-boy Ladle was ridiculously juvenile. The dialouge felt rushed. And the ending was pretty predictable based on the obvious clues through the story.It seems like Jace spends so much time making creative connections (the color red, scythes, Roman burial rituals) that he has very little time and effort for actually writing the story. The poor writing really dra ...more
Gypsy Madden
Jul 11, 2013 Gypsy Madden rated it really liked it
This is a wonderfully dark spin on an already dark tale. It has all of the same characters, while it is imaginatively different from the iconic tale. The characters each have their own vibrant personalities, complete with some cameos from other Grimm tales (which are fascinating to see interacting within the fairy tale world). The only complaint I had with the story is that Ladle didn't seem anywhere remotely near her sixteen years, especially with the childish repeating of words. I would have p ...more
  • Through Your Eyes ( I Am Alive book 1 Episode #3 )
  • Zombie Cinderella (Zombie Fairy Tales #1)
  • Revenant in Training (Blood and Snow, #2)
  • Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • Psychosis: Tales of Horror
  • the Dark (The Portal Trilogy #1.5)
  • Errant (Killer Unicorns, #0.5)
  • Rewrite Redemption
  • Inheritance (Wizards of Seattle, Book #1 - episode 1)
  • Unsinkable Vampire: A Begotten Bloods Novella
  • Demeter
  • Prince Charming Must Die (The Grimm Chronicles #1)
  • Shifty Business (Bend-Bite-Shift Trilogy, #3)
  • Savage Winter (Seasons of Paleo, #1)
Cameron Jace is bestselling author of the Grimm Diaries and Insanity series. A graduate of the college of Architecture, collector of out-of-print books, and obsessed with the origins of folk tales and the mysterious storytellers who spread them. Three of his books made Amazon's Top 100 Customer Favorites in Kindle 2013 & Amazon's Top 100 kindle list. Cameron lives in California with his girlfr ...more
More about Cameron Jace...

The Grimm Diaries Prequels (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Snow White Blood Red (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #1)
  • Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder  (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #2)
  • Beauty Never Dies (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #3)
  • Mary Mary Quite Contrary (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #5)
  • Blood Apples (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #6)
  • Once Beauty Twice Beast (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #7)
  • Moon and Madly (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #8)
  • Rumpelstein (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #9)
  • Jawigi (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #10)
  • Children Of Hamlin (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #11)

“Because evil is a point of view. ~Wolf” 3 likes