Grace Unexpected

Grace Unexpected

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Thirty-something Grace Savage has slogged through crummy jobs and dead-end relationships with men who would rather go bald than say "I do." In search of respite from her current job, she visits Shaker Village in New Hampshire. Instead of renewal, she's unnerved to learn that Shaker men and women lived and worked side by side in complete celibacy. When her longtime boyfrien...more
Published July 2nd 2012 by Booktrope Editions

To ask other readers questions about Grace Unexpected, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grace Unexpected

Carol [Goodreads addict]
Grace Unexpected by Gale Martin is the second book I have read by Ms. Martin. Her books are so much fun to read, her characters are real, easy to relate to and oh so fun to share part of my day with. Grace Savage was no exception.

photo Shaker-village_zps1bd517e8.jpg

photo shaker_zps0f353709.jpg

Grace and her sister in law are on vacation and they are visiting Shaker Village. It is a tourist attraction of a village where the members lived and worshiped, living a simple life sworn to celibacy. After returning home, Grace celebrates her thirty fifth birthday w...more
Dianne

Click on Banner to Enter to Win $25 Gift Card | eBooks
At Tome Tender - Ends June 2, 2014

Best core workout, EVER! I laughed so hard throughout Grace Unexpected, my abs are killing me now! What goes on inside the mind of author Gale Martin, whatever it is, it calls to my inner snark monster perfectly! Never thought the often overwhelming singles life could be so hysterical, in spite of its pitfalls, break ups and ticking biological clocks.

From almost engaged to suddenly single to having TWO amaz...more
Litonya
In, Grace Unexpected by Gale Martin. Grace is on vacation from her job as Communications director at a local University in PA. Grace visits Shaker Village with her gal-pal/ sister-in-law Rae Ann. Grace is literally shaken by how Shaker men and woman live celibate. Grace Savage is thirty-five and her clock is-a-tickin' really loud. She has dated Christian Jorgensen for two and a half years. Christian has no back bone when he tells Grace on her birthday, in her birthday suit that she isn't 'the on...more
Marni Mann
Calling all single ladies! In this charming and witty story, Gale Martin reminds us how humorous and daunting the dating life can be. GRACE UNEXPECTED is a delightful mix of love and loss. Snark kept me laughing on each page, but it was Grace Savage’s voice that kept me wanting more.
Marilou George
Grace Savage along with her pregnant sister-in-law and best friend Rae Ann are visiting a Shaker Village in New Hampshire. While touring the Village and learning about Shaker life Grace is appalled by the notion that celibacy is at the root of the Shaker lifestyle. She has a rather strange encounter with a portrait of a Shaker woman taken around 1880 and decides her tour is over. Upon returning home her boyfriend Christian breaks up with her on her birthday while taking a shower in her bathroom...more
Ali Crean
Grace Unexpected by Gale Martin is a smart and funny story about a thirty-something woman who is faced to cry uncle when she calls down the ire of the Shaker ancestors by smart mouthing a dower Shaker maiden while on a visit to one of their Historical sites in New Hampshire. Once returned to Pennsylvania, the wild nightlife and wanderlust life Grace has lived is shelved as she enacts what she calls ‘The Plan’, which dictates a new Grace, one who represses her libidinous urges and earthly indulge...more
Candace
Gale Martin's Grace Unexpected is a quick and hilarious contemporary read that left me wanting more. Revolving around Grace Savage's love and professional life, Grace Unexpected shows readers what a newly single, 'cougar' goes through when trying to find the perfect man to settle down with.

Grace's world is turned upside down on her 35th birthday by none other than her love. Expecting an engagement ring from her boyfriend, she instead gets the boot in a very unconventional way (my mouth was hang...more
Meredith Schorr
Grace Savage expects her boyfriend of two years to propose to her on her 35th birthday. Instead, he breaks up with her from behind a shower curtain and tells her she's not "long-term material." Deciding she's clearly not doing something right when it comes to her relationships with men, Grace decides to take a lesson from the Shakers, who in the late 1700s lived a life of celibacy, and give up sex. Suddenly two of the sexiest men on the college campus where she works take an interest in Grace, m...more
Literary
Charlene's Review:

After visiting a Shaker Village where celibacy was historically practiced, and reeling after an unexpected break-up, Grace decides that she, too, will follow the celibacy path and play "hard to get" in hopes of finally snagging a worthwhile man. All too soon, her resolve is tested as Addison and True both begin to compete for her affections. When the truth about both men comes out, Grace is faced with more drama than any woman ever needed. As she so eloquently puts it; "Imagine...more
Ashley
Thirty-something Grace Savage has slogged through crummy jobs and dead-end relationships with men who would rather go bald than say “I do”. In search of respite from her current job, she visits Shaker Village in New Hampshire. Instead of renewal, she’s unnerved to learn that Shaker men and women lived and worked side by side in complete celibacy.

Once again I'm hooked by Gale Martin's humor!

Grace Unexpected is the overly sexualized humor novel by Gale Martin, also the author of Who Killed Tom Jo...more
J 'gywenivere'
Sep 12, 2012 J 'gywenivere' marked it as to-read
Shelves: a-wish-list-book
I am currently searching to see if this author has put any bugs or hidden cameras in my abode.
How can this author know that this is my exact life (at least everything I have read in the blurb points to it).
I think reading this book would be like reading my diary...........stepped away to make sure that my diary hadn't been tampered with.
If I win this book , it would be like reading my biography...........coooool!
Rebecca
I absolutely loved this book. I loved the characters, I loved the story, and I loved the humor. This is by far one of the best books I have read in a long time, and I'll be looking for more books by Gale Martin.
Diana Hockley
Who amongst us has not been in the same position as Grace Savage, beset by dead end jobs and crummy men in whom we invest too much of ourselves too soon? At least 90% of womanhood I would wager, if everyone is being honest!

Gale Martin's character, Grace, is determined to change her life, which involves allowing men to chase and catch her rather than the other way around. After her of "two-years-standing" boyfriend, Christian, breaks off their relationship not only on her 35th birthday (there's a...more
Staci
The only reason Grace Unexpected is receiving 4 stars and not 5 is that it was slow to get into....but once I did...watch out! My husband was not so appreciative of Gale Martin's writing style as I was laughing out loud in the middle of the night while reading! Grace is such a wonderfully fun character, I want her for my best friend! I seriously need to check out the author's other book as this one left me wanting more!

My rating system is as follows:

5 stars - Excellent, Worth Every Penny, Made...more
BestChickLit.com
When I first started reading Grace Unexpected I have to admit I wasn’t thrilled – religion and celibacy are not usually what readers look for in a book and it started kind of slow. Then somewhere around the third chapter the book kicked into action and the real story of Grace Unexpected, a 35-year-old PR woman dealing with the highs and lows of trying to find Mr Right, began.

The reader is endeared to Grace by the horrible break up she endures at the beginning of the novel and the boredom of her...more
Nicole
After years of Grace being unhappy with her never ending jobs and boyfriends she has got a plan. Granted a stolen plan, but a plan never the less. She calls it the Shaker plan. After a trip with her best friend/sister in law to New England she learned how the Shakers lived and worked side by side in celibacy. Grace thought this to be a brilliant idea - not forever, but until she got her life straightened out. So far Grace was doing great, except for the fact that not only was she falling for one...more
Kris Pittman
Not my usual read, but I was feeling adventurous. And I actually ended up really enjoying this book! It kept me interested, I finished it in one sitting.

After an unexpected break up with long time boyfriend, Grace declares herself on the Shakers Plan. So of course two men come along threatening to disrupt her sexless existence. They both have vastly different ages and personalities, which only adds to the confusion.

There is a twist I honestly saw coming, but I found that didn't really take away...more
Nicole Walters
Grace Unexpected is simply delightful. The protagonist is sassy, confident, and yet constantly seeking to improve and challenge her life, her thoughts, her relationships. The action takes place in outrageous but absolutely possible scenarios in which I found myself vacillating in what I wanted or didn't want for Grace.

I was deeply satisfied with the ending of the book because everything and I mean EVERYTHING wrapped up in a way that felt good to me.

Oh, and if this is ever on the big screen, I se...more
Donna Murray
A college PR maven loses her lover and decides to try celibacy to improve her luck. She immediately attracts the attention of two men--one younger, one older. Work also becomes a competition with a brash new employee over a promotion. Grace has a winning personality, however, and I found myself enjoying her humor and upbeat attitude. At times a bit too jokey the book was still a welcome distraction that I would especially recommend to fans of chic lit.
Tuppence
What I thought I would read: a woman visits a Shaker village to find herself and is inspired by their vow of celibacy to live her life in much the same way. She is desperate to get married and her new-found lifestyle stops her from giving away the milk for free so future husband has to buy the cow instead. Almost immediately she finds two dream men, is torn making the ultimate decision, and at some point will live happily ever after and make lots of babies. She will learn some deep meaning of li...more
Ambur B.
Reading Grace Unexpected by Gale Martin was like having a conversation with a favorite friend, funny, engaging and worth your time. I purposely read it one chapter per sitting because I didn't want it to end. The characters, especially Grace were well developed and I felt as though I might see them walking down the street at any minute. This book along with her first Don Juan In Hankey, PA are a wonderful addition to any book lovers collection.
Toddie
For readers who enjoy romance/chick lit with more than a dash of brains and humor, this book will be right up your alley. As much as I enjoyed the primary character of Grace and her main co-horts (Goody, Addison and True), I even more got a kick out of some of the secondary characters, especially Les, the Shakespeare-loving president of the college. A fun, fast-paced read.
Patricia Florio
Sep 29, 2012 Patricia Florio rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: most women
Recommended to Patricia by: Gale's publisher BookTroupe
Grace Savage rocks! Grace is the star character in Gale Martin's newest chick-lit, Grace Unexpected. I really liked Grace, antics with her receptionist Goody, her love life with (spoiler alert)Addison and True. Gale puts faces on this great cast of characters who will have you chuckle out loud. BTW: the Shaker plan, it doesn't work!
Amanda
I really loved reading this book. It is a wonderful coming of age story. From the losing of a love to working her way through her thirties without repeating too much heartbreak. This story could be about any young girl just trying to fit in.

This was given to me as part of first reads.
Mary Roya
This book had me laughing and smiling with each page. Grace decides to follow the 'Shakers plan' and then she has an evil co-worker. Read the book to find out what the 'Shakers' plan' is....

Great characters, wonderful story and a great HEA ending. I highly recommend this book.
Shelley
A cute book, very well written. I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I thought--honestly, the plot seemed a little weak, but the execution was excellent.

I enjoyed everything until the ending, which seemed a bit...rushed and forced.

Great, light summer read.
Feb 03, 2013 Sarah marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-i-own
I won this book in a good reads giveaway! This was a good quick, funny read. Had me nodding my head, thinking, "I've been there" and giggling uncontrollably.

I don't normally read these chick-lit/ easy reads but this was a nice change of pace.

Wendy Fellinger
I really enjoyed Grace Unexpected. Gail Martin has written a funny and entertaining book that was difficult for me to put down. I couldn’t stop thinking about the characters and plot even while I wasn’t reading. I highly recommend this book!
Sandy Oliver
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway!! From start to finish I loved it! Gale Martin is a great story teller. It was funny, witty and entertaining. A good lite read..
Jen Gilbert
Fun book. Enjoyed it thoroughly. I am not sure if the author has written other books but I am going to have to look!
  • Family Ties (Sunset Crescent, #1)
  • Do or Di
  • Chasing a Dream
  • Dark Innocence (Dark, #1.5)
  • Satin Pleasures
  • Crazy Love (Looking for Love, #2)
  • When the Heart Falls
  • Love Regifted
  • Revealing Kia (The Lost Girl, #2)
  • Going For Broke
  • India's Summer
  • Her Secret Bodyguard
  • Grimnirs (Runes, #2.5)
  • Hear No (Hidden Evil Trilogy, #1)
  • Pinpoint
  • Free Gift with Purchase
  • Gauge (Skin Walkers, #5)
  • Match Me (Me, #1)
Gale Martin is an award-winning writer of contemporary fiction who plied her childhood penchant for lying into a legitimate literary pursuit during midlife. She began writing her first novel at age eleven, finally finishing one three decades later.

She'd commit a misdemeanor to score some Babybel cheese and goes weak-kneed for hummingbirds. She is a wife and mother of one and a communications direc...more
More about Gale Martin...
Don Juan in Hankey, PA Who Killed 'Tom Jones'?

“For a woman to be taken as seriously as a man she must be three times as effective. Happily, this is not difficult.--Simone de Beauvoir” 1 likes
“If you’ve ever grown zucchini, you know they all ripen the same day. You wait all of June and July for zucchini. August rolls around, and one day—bam! You have more zucchini than you know what to do with. You start handing them out to your neighbors and friends at work because there’s no way any single person can handle all that zucchini. Not even if you’re smart and resourceful and have accumulated dozens of good recipes, not even a person who likes zucchini as much as I do.--Grace Savage” 1 likes