No Trace (Brock And Kolla, #8)

No Trace (Brock & Kolla #8)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  310 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Cited as one of the top ten crime novels of 2006 (Kirkus Reviews), No Trace is the finest novel yet by one of best crime novelists of our time.
In a London neighborhood known for its artists and bohemian style, six year oldTracey Ruddis abducted from her home without any warning, or sign of violence.She is the third child abucted under similar circumstances in recent we
Published August 21st 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about No Trace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Trace

Tony
Maitland, Barry. NO TRACE: A Brock and Kolla Mystery. (2004; U.S. – 2006). ****. I’m slowly running out of books to read by this author, and should probably put myself on some sort of ration system. The problem is, however, that he writes such devilishly clever books that once you start them you can’t put them down. “In a London neighborhood known for its artists and bohemian nature, six-year-old Tracey Rudd is abducted from her home without any warning or sign of violence. She is the third girl...more
Ivonne Rovira
Oct 27, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers everywhere
Recommended to Ivonne by: Magda Cawthorne
Barry Maitland simultaneously explores and sends up London’s post-modern art world in No Trace, his eighth Kathy Kolla-David Brock mystery and a finalist for Australia’s Ned Kelly Award. In it, flamboyant artist Gabe Rudd’s daughter Tracy becomes the third girl in as many months to disappear from her bedroom in the middle of the night. Sergeant Kathy Kolla becomes uneasy when Rudd and his equally outré friends begin to benefit from the tragedy through performance art and sculptures.

Is Rudd mere...more
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘I think that if anyone’ll find Trace, it’ll be you.’

Six year old Tracey Rudd goes missing from home, the London flat and studio she shares with her father Gabriel Rudd in Northcote Square. Rudd is a contemporary and controversial artist well known for his love of the grotesque and ability to attract publicity. Rudd’s most famous work was based on his wife’s suicide five years ago. Tracey is the third little girl abducted in this area recently, and her disappearance attracts a lot of attention f...more
Kirsti
I enjoy this series because the author keeps the same detectives but sends them into different environments, so the series stays fresh. Previous books described rare stamps, 19th-century mental hospitals, and the architecture of shopping malls. This one's about modern art.
Yvonne
I've never read a book by Barry Maitland and enjoyed what a taut thriller No Trace is. The author works characters, settings, plot and tension with a surgeon’s precision. Not a character is wasted, they all weave in and out until the surprising end. Minor complain was the lack of physical descriptions for the two main characters Brock and Kolla. His other characters were so vivid in my mind and they were not. I realize that this is part of a series, but for those of us picking up the thread here...more
L.
Another family-dysfunction police procedural set in London, but I finished this one because the main characters in the series were doing their jobs.

The gist of the story is that the daughter of an experimental artist has disappeared in the middle of the night from the house where she lives with her father. He is an odd guy, and he immediately begins creating a new art series about her disappearance, encouraging the media circus to ramp up even more than it already is. The police are a bit at a l...more
Gail
This book had me hooked until the very end; I was sure I knew who was responsible for the deaths of the two girls and the disappearance of Tracey Rudd, but the involvement of most of the characters, including Gabriel Rudd and Sir Jack Beaufort, turned out to be quite different. I was especially intrigued by the references to the work of the artist Fuseli in the context of the story, so this read turned out to be an "educational" one for me too.
Ellen
I'd never heard of this author and started reading him with No 8 of this series but that was no handicap at all to my enjoyment of this book. A fascinating insight into the contemporary art scene and a child abduction and seeming serial murderer plot lead to a gripping novel where every potential suspect seems viable. A well-written and plausible book that makes me want to go and read the first seven of the series. I can't wait!
Mickey Reid
Best of the Brock and Kolla series so far, in my opinion. This book told me a lot about the world of modern art, its artists, gallery owners and public reaction to art. Well written, with enough personal background of our main police characters to increase interest in their lives and actions. #8 in the Brock and Kolla series.
Kay
A very unusual and dense mystery that centers on an outrageous contemporary artist, Gabriel Rudd, whose daughter, Tracey, has disappeared. This is as much about the sorry state of modern art as it is about detective work. As people in the small, inbred group of artists in the neighborhood suffer violent deaths, Rudd locks himself inside a glass cube and begins to create an elaborate series of artifacts called "No Trace," after his missing daughter.
Detectives Brock and Kolla are alternately disg...more
This might be my favorite Brock & Kolla so far. I think I said that about Babel, and at the time I meant it, but this has taken the number one spot. It's got a secluded feeling because of the location and nature of the crime/s, so even though the story takes place in London, it feels so much more intimate. And, really, thinking about it now, Maitland does this a lot: he seems to insulate his locations, thus his stories and characters, which is the perfect kind of atmosphere for a nice myster...more
Evanston Public  Library
When contemporary artist Gabriel Rudd's young daughter, Tracey, goes missing from their London home, police suspect it might be the work of a serial killer. Soon the detective team of David Brock and Kathy Kolla find clues connected to Rudd and his bohemian neighborhood of artists and dealers. Could Rudd have exploited his daughter's disappearance to promote his own career? This most satisfying mystery is wonderfully atmospheric, with a scathing, very convincing send-up of the contemporary art s...more
Mike Gabor
This was a strange book for me. The story centers around an artist whose 7 year old daughter disappears from her bedroom one night. There are also two slightly older young girls who are missing. The first third of the book started out slowly for me and I found myself losing interest, then the pace really picked up and I was hooked. However, I must say that I was very disappointed with the ending. It really seemed a bit far fetched to me. It was almost as though the author wasn't quite sure how t...more
Mickey Hoffman
Six stars! This is one terrific mystery, or thriller, whatever you want to call it. Brock and Kolla on the hunt for the missing daughter of a very crazed, contemporary artist. The book takes you in and around a clique of artists and wannabies and a gallery that shows their work. Although this book is sort of a send-up of pretentious contemporary art, it rings true in many ways. Since I went to art school I can verify the soundness of the characterizations, as odd as they may seem to you. The boo...more
Breanne
Just not my cup of tea. It was like an episode of law and order - which bore me a lot. It was dark and brooding and didn't really have anything to buoy you up and keep you reading. The mystery was okay and interesting through the last third of the book. It did have some interesting views on the morality and motivations of contemporary art, such as the discussion of what boundaries (if any) there are on contemporary art.
George
Mar 12, 2007 George rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: British mystery readers
Eight in a series of Chief Inspector David Brock and Detective Sergeant Kathy Kolla novels set in London. Mystery involves disappearance of three young girls and the contemporary art world. Excellent story line with many twists that keep you guessing until the final twist at the end.
Connie
This is a terrific police procedural from the first page to the last one. Could not put it down! So many twists and turns and close to the end when you think you have it figured out, you don't. I'm interested to see what happens with Brock and also with Kathy's love interest.
Lynda

I enjoyed this book for the art research and some of the comments about modern attitudes towards art but found the ending a bit contrived and even over the top. Felt it was overly long for what happened. Haven't really related to the characters.
Angie
What I love most and what sets these detectives above most other detectives in this genre is their creative thinking. Kathy and Brock are tenacious and more alike as the series progresses. Shall I jump into the next one or keep it in reserve?
Carly
This was a very interesting read. In most mysteries I have leads as to who I think is the culprit. In this book, my mind kept going back and forth between all sorts of people, and I never guessed all that I found out at the end.
I would consider reading if you like British detective novels. This is the first one I have read of the Brock and Kolla series, despite this being #8. I enjoyed it enough that I'll go back and look for the earlier novels.
Gary Van Cott
While I prefer books which do not have young victims, aside from that, this book was ok. The theme is modern art with some references to older art (don't know if those are fictitious) as well.
Julie
Great mystery here. Just when you thought you knew 'who done it', the book would take a turn. Ended that way also! Good writing here. I loved the art theme this book had.
judy
I'm hooked on this author. This book is almost a 5 star. Truly unique plot with so many twists and turns that you can never be sure what's coming next.
Eric Pollard
This book made me sad. I know it's just a story, but the elaborate plot led to a very human and tragic ending. Very well written, but sad, sad, sad.
Amanda
Dec 19, 2011 Amanda rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Fans; Beach-goers
A quick, satisfying mystery read. Nothing ground-breaking, but readable and enjoyable and very entertaining. A good distraction.
Carol
Enjoyable British police procedural with a clever plot and some interesting observations about modern art.
Sue
Very tricky mystery. great, but not light. tough look at contemporary art world.
Molly Schultz
I enjoyed the insight into contemporary artists and daily life.
  • Water Like a Stone (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #11)
  • Bloodhounds (Peter Diamond, #4)
  • The Dying Hours (Tom Thorne, #11)
  • Death Wore White (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine, #1)
  • Broken Skin (Logan McRae, #3)
  • Murder at the Old Vicarage (Lloyd & Hill, #2)
  • An April Shroud (Dalziel & Pascoe, #4)
  • The Veiled One (Inspector Wexford, #14)
  • A Matter of Justice (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #11)
  • Random Violence (Jade de Jong, #1)
  • House Rules (Joe DeMarco, #3)
Barry Maitland is the author of the acclaimed Brock and Kolla series of crime mystery novels, which are set in London, where Barry grew up after his family moved there.

His books have been described as whydunits as much as whodunits, concerned with the devious histories and motivations of their characters. Barry's background in architecture drew him to the structured character of the mystery novel,...more
More about Barry Maitland...
The Marx Sisters (Brock & Kolla, #1) The Chalon Heads (Brock & Kolla, #4) All My Enemies (Brock & Kolla, #3) Dark Mirror (Brock & Kolla, #10) Silvermeadow (Brock & Kolla, #5)