Start by marking “Latvian Mittens” as Want to Read:
Latvian Mittens

Latvian Mittens

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Paperback
Published March 1st 1997 by Schoolhouse Press (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Latvian Mittens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Latvian Mittens

Letoya
I've wanted this book for a long time and thought it was going to feel like a treasury of some sort. I couldn't understand why it wasn't published in hardcover. Now that I finally have it, I understand why. This book is not a pattern reference although you can use the designs for many different garments. It's full off symbols and interesting history. After I complete a few of these projects I can't see myself going back to this book time after time. The graphs are too small. There's one graph on ...more
Beverly
I swooned a little upon seeing that this is dual language; I don't read Latvian, but I do love to compare languages. That aside, the introductory chapters reveal excellent research, including a number of four-line folk tunes that feature mittens' roles in traditional courting and wedding ceremonies. The book has minimal color photos, and the charts are what can be expected from an older book, but none of that makes the book seem less useful. In fact, I'm eager to knit using the symbols and color ...more
Susan
The color plates and spotting the cultural description when browsing enticed me to buy the book. I really enjoyed the first part of the book which describe Latvia and the cultural influence of mittens in the country.

The charts could easily be used for socks, sweaters, and vests.
Janet
This is a very comprehensive book - it contains tons of history and Latvian folklore and all the mitten patterns you could wish for. However, as I'm not a huge fan of Latvian designs, I was hoping for more narrative about techniques.
Nancy
Very cool book of patterns with a history of the cultural importance of mittens in Latvian culture. Includes color photos, related poetry, instructions, etc. I think I'm going to buy the newer edition of this book.
Kelly
Amazing designs....I am thrilled and amazed!
Mary
Mary added it
Dec 05, 2014
A
A added it
Nov 08, 2014
Onconerka
Onconerka marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Sarah added it
Oct 28, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Nora
Nora added it
Jul 15, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Marilyn
Marilyn marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
May 15, 2014
Elli Liput
Elli Liput marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014