Start by marking “Tattoos & Teacups” as Want to Read:
Tattoos & Teacups

Tattoos & Teacups (Tattoos #1)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,446 Ratings  ·  310 Reviews
As a teenager, Robert McKinnon left his native Scotland and moved to America. That was sixteen years ago, and Professor McKinnon has never quite settled in his new home or found his place this side of the pond. He might be prematurely old, but he has his cat, and his books, and that's all he needs.

Then Chris Ford explodes into Robert's life with a crash of cymbals. The yo
Published July 6th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published July 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Tattoos & Teacups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tattoos & Teacups

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
What a lovely, lovely read! This book was like comfort food for me- it gave me that warm, ooey-gooey feeling inside. It was completely enjoyable.

"Tattoos and Teacups" was not exactly what I expected, for some reason. I thought this would be a opposites attract story where the two men are at odds all the time due to their differences and there is a lot of drama happening. This book is not like that at all. It is really a story about the complete romantic progression of the relationship between t
J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie*

This was the perfect Sunday feel-good read!

A hidden gem I found buried on my Kindle.

Another review I read said it best. I felt like a fly on the wall of Rob and Chris' relationship.

I felt everything right along with them.

Watching them fall in love...

...I had a smile on my face the whole time reading this one!

Low angst. Great steam.

*dreamy sigh*

Highly recommend!!!
Vio
The best way to describe this book is a gentle slow tender romance with a wonderful relationship where you get to know and feel how Robert and Chris change, the differences which could be a complication are turned into an interesting dynamic, they click and the age gap is perfect for both of them. Robert keeps Chris grounded and Chris provides excitement to Robert's otherwise dull existence. A lovely romance where you want to see them have it all a home and family because they are commi
Breann
I was completely charmed by this lovely book with its witty humor, loveable characters, sloooooowww burn and guyliner.

We have Robert, a college professor, who just goes through the daily motions of life. He feels as though he’s kinda dull and well, he kinda was at first. One drunken night he meets a young, energetic, tattooed, drummer, Chris. They exchange some flirting and phone numbers, then The Romance ensues.

I fell so utterly in love with these characters and I loved reading their love story
Sheziss
23-year-old tattooed percussionist and 32-year-old Literature teacher.

I enjoyed the book pretty much. At the end.

To be honest, I thought I would DNF this book. The first half is very inconstant and I couldn’t feel that pull to go on with the characters and their lives. It was nice but not mesmerizing.

And the sense of time is very wrong. It gives the impression of isolated episodes with several months in between, so I had a feeling I was reading a long-term relationship instead of a causal one t
Kaje Harper
Feb 12, 2013 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, comfort-reread
This is a lovely, sweet, opposites-attract story about Robert, a college professor with a fondness for Kipling's poetry, and Chris, a tattooed drummer almost a decade younger. For most of the book, the relationship progresses fairly smoothly, with just enough events and issues to give it some ups and downs, but no big dramatic moments of angst. The biggest stumbling block to happiness happens slowly and not unexpectedly, like the inexorable approach of a freight train. You can see damage coming ...more
Mandapanda
Jul 07, 2012 Mandapanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: various-romance
A warm and sexy story about two very different guys falling in love. Buttoned-up college professor Robert McKinnon meets extroverted percussionist Chris at a bar and the rest is history. The whole focus of the story is Robert and Chris's journey to love. There is not a lot of angst along the way (although one very poignant period) and the secondary characters are just gentle accessories to the men's relationship. For a tender story the sex is surprisingly hot. The book is divided into three part ...more
Ami
Jul 10, 2012 Ami rated it liked it
Recommended to Ami by: Vio

What works for me:
+ The professor and the percussionist -- I do enjoy their being an opposite attract. The age gap works, although when I read the blurb, I somehow think that the gap will be wider, or that Robert will be in the late 30's or early 40's.

+ The story is pretty 'clean' -- no cheating ex, no heavy angst, no overabudant drama, no bitchy ex-wife. Which is nice. Plus, there are actually things that happen OUTSIDE the bedroom. Including the men connecting with Robert's daughter
SheReadsALot
Nov 15, 2014 SheReadsALot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to SheReadsALot by: Valerie ~Varuca~
I do love a cup of good tea. It usually puts me in that warm happy place. In fact I went to go make a cup before finishing this review. (LOL) And "Tattoos and Teacups" it's just like a cup of great tea - comforting, plus leaves you all warm and yummy inside.

Robert is a 32 year old, Scottish, English professor who has a lead a very staid life. He is a father of a 14 year old survived testicular cancer and just never got it right in the love department.

Enter - Chris - 23, tattooed with a dirty and
Heller
Jul 18, 2012 Heller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, contemporary
4.5

What an absolutely charming romance. I loved it. Such a gorgeous cover as well.

This is definitely a case of opposites attracting and a slow burn romance. It's a story about a 32 year old professor and a 23 year old musician and the journey they make together to find out what they are to each other. It's wonderful and I couldn't put it down. It's funny and touching and sexy.

I laughed so many times reading this book but there were also a few places that choked me up a bit. This is a simple st
Shelley
3.5 Stars, Because I'm turning over a new leaf and I've been inspired to be more forgiving. See how nice I can be GR friends :)

I do love an opposites attract story. Just like the Atlantic meets the Indian Ocean, Robert and Chris are very clearly defined by their differences, and yet they blend so well with just a few white ruffles in the wake. < -- No eye rolls please, I’m feeling sentimental okay.

Robert Andrew McKinnon and Chris Ford couldn’t be more different. Robert is older than Chris (
Leaundra
Mar 20, 2013 Leaundra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had no vampire's, werewolves or police chases. It was just a story about two regular guys getting to know each other and us getting to watch them fall in love. It was really a sweet book and I loved getting to know Robert and Chris and their families. This book took it's time with them even though I love me some insta love this wasn't one, maybe insta attraction but they took their time so this is a book for the people who don't care for the insta:-) I really enjoyed it!
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Jan 28, 2014 Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m

This book and I didn't start out on the greatest terms. I don't know if I just wasn't in the mood or what but everything annoyed me. I made myself stop reading shortly after I started and picked it up the next day...what a difference a night makes. After I picked this back up I didn't wanna put it down!!
I've decided to edit my rating from 4 stars to 5 because had I not been annoyed before I started this book it would have totally made my 5 star list!

These guys were a pleasure to get to know. R
MaDoReader
Jul 18, 2016 MaDoReader rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
2,5 y redondeo a 3 no sé muy bien por qué, quizás es porque aún no he decidido si este libro merece o no la pena y el "bitchy mode" lo tengo hoy desconectado...

En la escena del tatuaje, cuando uno de los personajes dice cuánto tiempo llevan juntos... ahí me quedé "muerta matá", ¿qué leches había estado leyendo yo???? Desde luego lo que la Sra. Martin transmite por la manera que tienen sus personajes de interactuar entre ellos y con sus familias, y por como está narrado, no te lleva a pensar en e
Vivian
Dec 01, 2014 Vivian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
DNF 32%

Not even for bingo. Maybe if it were shorter, but this is clumsy writing and Rob spends way too much time thinking about things that have nothing to do with what he's doing. And trust me, while having sex for the first time in years I don't think he's going to be reminiscing about past indiscretions.
MsMiz (Tina)
Jul 07, 2012 MsMiz (Tina) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt-all, kindle-mobi
I really enjoyed this book. It was a slow, lovely story of how Robert and Chris found themselves in love. I think some readers might find this boring as it is not filled with high angst or douchy characters. Rest assured I found it worth the read.
Jo
Oct 11, 2015 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jo by: Rochella
Love like hot chocolate on a winter day, just sitting in bed drinking and reading that is what this book is for me..

More review to come,.... can't think much more... still lost in the hazy fog that I just read a book about these two.

MLE
Nov 18, 2015 MLE rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle, mm, dnf
Looking back over my comments I'm not sure why I ever thought I'd get back to reading this.

description

Life is too short to finish a book that is just going to piss me off.

Snowtulip
Jul 08, 2012 Snowtulip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, muscian, own
So we've got a professor and a musician...yup completely works for me, then you have a slowly developing love story...yup still works for me, then you have amazingly endearing characters (including secondary)...yup still working for me, then you have a HEA...yup completely worked for me! Oh and did I mention a Scottish accent that sneaks out sometimes :D
Tia Fielding
Jul 07, 2012 Tia Fielding rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-favorites
What can I say... I really do love this book. It's very intimate and warm, in some ways, and the main character, Robert, is just... I want to hug him. A lot.

I love the way Robert clings to his "britishness" and how he is so old before his time, yet he manages to be brave enough to open himself to Chris.

I like the fact that not everything is explained to pieces and while Robert can be emotional and romantic, he's still a man who doesn't analyze everything to bits. There's something very... Europe
Heather C
Loved loved loved this!!!

While I wouldn't exactly call this extraordinary or anything, I really loved everything about it. I started reading it around midnight and didn't put it down until I was finished and the sun was coming up. I loved the characters and it was just so perfectly adorable with very little angst.

4.5 Stars because of bit of repetitiveness and a few timeline mishaps.
Alissa
Mar 06, 2015 Alissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*5 stars*

After much thought, I changed my rating for Tattoos and Teacups from a 4ish to 5 stars. Why? Because even with its flaws this book made me fucking feel good. It made me smile. It made me weep. And in my book that's worth all the freaking stars ever.

Tina
Oct 01, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance

First of all... I love the cover. It's a wonderful designed eye catcher.

Robert, a college professor, just goes through his daily motions of life. He is a careful, serious guy, who doesn't believe he would find his true love. Ever!

Then Chris explodes into his life. The younger man is the polar opposite of Robert's calm civility. Bright tattoos cover his skin, and he wears his hair in a Mohawk and plays drums for a rock band.

First I was wondering what these two men have in common and what can eve
Catherine
*** 3.75 Stars ***

I found the normalcy of their relationship kinda beautiful without all the added drama that sometimes gets thrown into romance novels, I wasn't always engaged. I also feel as if the last 20% of the book (certainly the last 10% of it) was unnecessary.
Jess Candela
Aug 26, 2012 Jess Candela rated it really liked it
Review Summary: Sweet, slow-building love story between two seemingly opposites who turn out to be very alike and complementary.

Review: At first blush this story is about opposites attracting, but appearance can be deceptive. Robert and Chris are far more similar in the ways that matter than is immediately obvious. As Robert explains to Chris on one of their first dates, talking about the rhythms of speech and poetry:
“But here’s where our worlds collide. I spend hours poring over poetry, finding
Sandra
3.5 stars This was good. In a way it was surprising and refreshing to read a book where they just meet normally and start dating like any two regular people instead of all the normal book drama. I liked these guys, although their communication could have been better. I was unsure at times what exactly their plan was and where they each thought the relationship was going (view spoiler) ...more
Td
Jul 10, 2012 Td rated it really liked it
Robert's narrative, his voice, was one of the main things that made this book a winner for me. He effortlessly caught my interest right away, made me care, tickled my funny bone numerous times and surprised me when I found myself wiping a stray tear...twice! Add vibrant, naughty yet also vulnerable Chris and I enjoyed this couple very much and was invested in their journey throughout most of the story. At around 85% or so I would say, it lost some steam as I felt it dragged a bit and almost made ...more
Veronica /  V
Jul 09, 2012 Veronica / V rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I started reading this story, I was upset and angry, because I just finished reading another story that piss me off so much. It was late, but, I didn't care.
I needed it something to cheer me up and this story managed to put me in an excellent mood.
Very warm, lovely story, these 2 characters were so different but perfect for each other.
clear skies
This story is about an "older" man and "younger" man. I tend to veer off books that have a big age gap, because as judgemental as it makes me sound, it creeps me out. The fact the supposed older guy was in his early thirties and the younger one was in his early twenties wasn't too much of a shock for me.

As a fellow Scot I can tell you reading about Rob who was Scottish was incredibly annoying. I found him to be stuck up and rude, and I'm tired of people/authors slagging of America; as if we Brit
Manuela
Jul 07, 2012 Manuela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: musicians, mm, age-gap

This was a really enjoyable love story between two very likable characters.
It was a little different from what I expected, because I thought the age difference between Robert and Chris, not to mention the different personalities and different kind of lives they have, would cause more trouble than they actually did. The story is almost angst free, there are a few moments in which things don't go very smoothly but they are resolved fairly quickly.
Usually I'm a fan of angst, the more the
Giveaway! 1 6 Nov 08, 2012 02:20PM
Rainbow Awards Cover Contest! 2 8 Sep 12, 2012 08:40AM
Dreamspinner Press: Meet Anna Martin 29 42 Aug 12, 2012 09:48AM
Dreamspinner Press: Tattoos & Teacups by Anna Martin 3 75 Jul 11, 2012 12:06PM
  • The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1)
  • The Melody Thief (Blue Notes, #2)
  • The Luckiest (Lucky Moon, #2)
  • American Love Songs
  • Acrobat
  • Dex in Blue (Johnnies, #2)
  • Home Work (Life Lessons, #3)
  • The Return (The Austin Trilogy, #2)
  • After Ben (Seattle Stories, #1)
  • Beach Balls  (Balls to the Wall,  #3)
  • Xylophone
  • Disasterology 101
  • Gasp!
  • Ethan, Who Loved Carter
  • Illumination
  • Not His Kiss to Take
  • All Bets Are Off (Mountain Boys, #1)
  • Catch My Breath
Anna Martin is from a picturesque seaside village in the south west of England. After spending most of her childhood making up stories, she studied English Literature at university before attempting to turn her hand as a professional writer.

Apart from being physically dependent on her laptop, she is enthusiastic about writing and producing local grassroots theatre (especially at the Edinburgh Frin
More about Anna Martin...

Tattoos (2 books)
  • Tattoos & Tinsel (Tattoos, #2)

“In private, I still say “colourful” (with the added “u”) as a way of reminding myself never to succumb to the Americanisms that plague my day-to-day life.” 3 likes
“Despite the months that had melted into years since I had left my native Scotland, I liked to maintain a grip on my heritage and a certain amount of decorum when it came to correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. It may sound dull, but I assure you, I am not. I just appreciate the correct use of the English language.” 3 likes