Start by marking “Tattoos & Teacups” as Want to Read:
Tattoos & Teacups

Tattoos & Teacups (Tattoos #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,039 ratings  ·  239 reviews
As a teenager, Robert McKinnon left his native Scotland and moved to America. That was sixteen years ago, and Professor McKinnon has never quite settled in his new home or found his place this side of the pond. He might be prematurely old, but he has his cat, and his books, and that's all he needs.

Then Chris Ford explodes into Robert's life with a crash of cymbals. The yo
Published July 6th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published July 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Tattoos & Teacups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tattoos & Teacups

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
What a lovely, lovely read! This book was like comfort food for me- it gave me that warm, ooey-gooey feeling inside. It was completely enjoyable.

"Tattoos and Teacups" was not exactly what I expected, for some reason. I thought this would be a opposites attract story where the two men are at odds all the time due to their differences and there is a lot of drama happening. This book is not like that at all. It is really a story about the complete romantic progression of the relationship between t
Vio
The best way to describe this book is a gentle slow tender romance with a wonderful relationship where you get to know and feel how Robert and Chris change, the differences which could be a complication are turned into an interesting dynamic, they click and the age gap is perfect for both of them. Robert keeps Chris grounded and Chris provides excitement to Robert's otherwise dull existence. A lovely romance where you want to see them have it all a home and family because they are commi
Breann
I was completely charmed by this lovely book with its witty humor, loveable characters, sloooooowww burn and guyliner.

We have Robert, a college professor, who just goes through the daily motions of life. He feels as though he’s kinda dull and well, he kinda was at first. One drunken night he meets a young, energetic, tattooed, drummer, Chris. They exchange some flirting and phone numbers, then The Romance ensues.

I fell so utterly in love with these characters and I loved reading their love story
Sheziss
23-year-old tattooed percussionist and 32-year-old Literature teacher.

I enjoyed the book pretty much. At the end.

To be honest, I thought I would DNF this book. The first half is very inconstant and I couldn’t feel that pull to go on with the characters and their lives. It was nice but not mesmerizing.

And the sense of time is very wrong. It gives the impression of isolated episodes with several months in between, so I had a feeling I was reading a long-term relationship instead of a causal one t
MandyM
A warm and sexy story about two very different guys falling in love. Buttoned-up college professor Robert McKinnon meets extroverted percussionist Chris at a bar and the rest is history. The whole focus of the story is Robert and Chris's journey to love. There is not a lot of angst along the way (although one very poignant period) and the secondary characters are just gentle accessories to the men's relationship. For a tender story the sex is surprisingly hot. The book is divided into three part ...more
Kaje Harper
This is a lovely, sweet, opposites-attract story about Robert, a college professor with a fondness for Kipling's poetry, and Chris, a tattooed drummer almost a decade younger. For most of the book, the relationship progresses fairly smoothly, with just enough events and issues to give it some ups and downs, but no big dramatic moments of angst. The biggest stumbling block to happiness happens slowly and not unexpectedly, like the inexorable approach of a freight train. You can see damage coming ...more
Ami
Jul 10, 2012 Ami rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ami by: Vio

What works for me:
+ The professor and the percussionist -- I do enjoy their being an opposite attract. The age gap works, although when I read the blurb, I somehow think that the gap will be wider, or that Robert will be in the late 30's or early 40's.

+ The story is pretty 'clean' -- no cheating ex, no heavy angst, no overabudant drama, no bitchy ex-wife. Which is nice. Plus, there are actually things that happen OUTSIDE the bedroom. Including the men connecting with Robert's daughter
SheReadsALot
I do love a cup of good tea. It usually puts me in that warm happy place. In fact I went to go make a cup before finishing this review. (LOL) And "Tattoos and Teacups" it's just like a cup of great tea - comforting, plus leaves you all warm and yummy inside.

Robert is a 32 year old, Scottish, English professor who has a lead a very staid life. He is a father of a 14 year old survived testicular cancer and just never got it right in the love department.

Enter - Chris - 23, tattooed with a dirty and
Shelley
3.5 Stars, Because I'm turning over a new leaf and I've been inspired to be more forgiving. See how nice I can be GR friends :)

I do love an opposites attract story. Just like the Atlantic meets the Indian Ocean, Robert and Chris are very clearly defined by their differences, and yet they blend so well with just a few white ruffles in the wake. < -- No eye rolls please, I’m feeling sentimental okay.

Robert Andrew McKinnon and Chris Ford couldn’t be more different. Robert is older than Chris (
Heller
4.5

What an absolutely charming romance. I loved it. Such a gorgeous cover as well.

This is definitely a case of opposites attracting and a slow burn romance. It's a story about a 32 year old professor and a 23 year old musician and the journey they make together to find out what they are to each other. It's wonderful and I couldn't put it down. It's funny and touching and sexy.

I laughed so many times reading this book but there were also a few places that choked me up a bit. This is a simple st
Leaundra
This book had no vampire's, werewolves or police chases. It was just a story about two regular guys getting to know each other and us getting to watch them fall in love. It was really a sweet book and I loved getting to know Robert and Chris and their families. This book took it's time with them even though I love me some insta love this wasn't one, maybe insta attraction but they took their time so this is a book for the people who don't care for the insta:-) I really enjoyed it!
MsMiz (Tina)
I really enjoyed this book. It was a slow, lovely story of how Robert and Chris found themselves in love. I think some readers might find this boring as it is not filled with high angst or douchy characters. Rest assured I found it worth the read.
Snowtulip
So we've got a professor and a musician...yup completely works for me, then you have a slowly developing love story...yup still works for me, then you have amazingly endearing characters (including secondary)...yup still working for me, then you have a HEA...yup completely worked for me! Oh and did I mention a Scottish accent that sneaks out sometimes :D
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)

This book and I didn't start out on the greatest terms. I don't know if I just wasn't in the mood or what but everything annoyed me. I made myself stop reading shortly after I started and picked it up the next day...what a difference a night makes. After I picked this back up I didn't wanna put it down!!
I've decided to edit my rating from 4 stars to 5 because had I not been annoyed before I started this book it would have totally made my 5 star list!

These guys were a pleasure to get to know. R
Tia Fielding
What can I say... I really do love this book. It's very intimate and warm, in some ways, and the main character, Robert, is just... I want to hug him. A lot.

I love the way Robert clings to his "britishness" and how he is so old before his time, yet he manages to be brave enough to open himself to Chris.

I like the fact that not everything is explained to pieces and while Robert can be emotional and romantic, he's still a man who doesn't analyze everything to bits. There's something very... Europe
Jo
Oct 04, 2013 Jo rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jo by: Rochella
Love like hot chocolate on a winter day, just sitting in bed drinking and reading that is what this book is for me..

More review to come,.... can't think much more... still lost in the hazy fog that I just read a book about these two.

description
description
Heather C
Loved loved loved this!!!

While I wouldn't exactly call this extraordinary or anything, I really loved everything about it. I started reading it around midnight and didn't put it down until I was finished and the sun was coming up. I loved the characters and it was just so perfectly adorable with very little angst.

4.5 Stars because of bit of repetitiveness and a few timeline mishaps.
Jess Candela
Review Summary: Sweet, slow-building love story between two seemingly opposites who turn out to be very alike and complementary.

Review: At first blush this story is about opposites attracting, but appearance can be deceptive. Robert and Chris are far more similar in the ways that matter than is immediately obvious. As Robert explains to Chris on one of their first dates, talking about the rhythms of speech and poetry:
“But here’s where our worlds collide. I spend hours poring over poetry, finding
Td
Robert's narrative, his voice, was one of the main things that made this book a winner for me. He effortlessly caught my interest right away, made me care, tickled my funny bone numerous times and surprised me when I found myself wiping a stray tear...twice! Add vibrant, naughty yet also vulnerable Chris and I enjoyed this couple very much and was invested in their journey throughout most of the story. At around 85% or so I would say, it lost some steam as I felt it dragged a bit and almost made ...more
Vivian Archer
DNF 32%

Not even for bingo. Maybe if it were shorter, but this is clumsy writing and Rob spends way too much time thinking about things that have nothing to do with what he's doing. And trust me, while having sex for the first time in years I don't think he's going to be reminiscing about past indiscretions.
clear skies
This story is about an "older" man and "younger" man. I tend to veer off books that have a big age gap, because as judgemental as it makes me sound, it creeps me out. The fact the supposed older guy was in his early thirties and the younger one was in his early twenties wasn't too much of a shock for me.

As a fellow Scot I can tell you reading about Rob who was Scottish was incredibly annoying. I found him to be stuck up and rude, and I'm tired of people/authors slagging of America; as if we Brit
Manuela

This was a really enjoyable love story between two very likable characters.
It was a little different from what I expected, because I thought the age difference between Robert and Chris, not to mention the different personalities and different kind of lives they have, would cause more trouble than they actually did. The story is almost angst free, there are a few moments in which things don't go very smoothly but they are resolved fairly quickly.
Usually I'm a fan of angst, the more the
Sandra
3.5 stars This was good. In a way it was surprising and refreshing to read a book where they just meet normally and start dating like any two regular people instead of all the normal book drama. I liked these guys, although their communication could have been better. I was unsure at times what exactly their plan was and where they each thought the relationship was going (view spoiler) ...more
Camille
Likes:
That I made myself finish this.
That it got a lot better in the last 20%.
The relationship.
Rob and Chris as a couple.
Chris, period.
Chris' lovingness, assurance, and openness.
The evil mother never getting actual live page time.
The HEA.

Dislikes:
The excruciating stiffness of the writing!
Rob, often enough, since he can be a bit starchy and overblown at times.
The way Rob thinks of Cassie and Chloe sometimes. There's this unpleasant distance and apathy at points.
The way two characters just absol
Tina

First of all... I love the cover. It's a wonderful designed eye catcher.

Robert, a college professor, just goes through his daily motions of life. He is a careful, serious guy, who doesn't believe he would find his true love. Ever!

Then Chris explodes into his life. The younger man is the polar opposite of Robert's calm civility. Bright tattoos cover his skin, and he wears his hair in a Mohawk and plays drums for a rock band.

First I was wondering what these two men have in common and what can eve
Veronica /  V
Before I started reading this story, I was upset and angry, because I just finished reading another story that piss me off so much. It was late, but, I didn't care.
I needed it something to cheer me up and this story managed to put me in an excellent mood.
Very warm, lovely story, these 2 characters were so different but perfect for each other.
SueM
(3.5 stars)

A warm and sweet romance between two very different men.

Robert is a 'grumpy old professor' at the age of 32; stuck in routine and outwardly happy with his life, though to himself he acknowledges his loneliness. When he meets Chris, a 23 year old touring musician (percussionist) with multiple tattoos, he is unprepared for his instant attraction to the younger man. Insecure about their future (for several reasons, one being the nine year age gap), he's happy to realize that Chris is co
AnnaLund
Apr 21, 2013 AnnaLund rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: M/M romance buffs, Age-gap lovers
I just spent the last couple of days in the company of two very sweet men, Robert and Chris. I loved every second of it, and adored the soft acceptance of what you set free will come back to you if it is yours.

The reason I bought the book was its cover, I have seriously to search a long time to find another that attracts me this much. I don't know why it attracts me, it just does. Also the title was fabulous.

So, let's lay it all out: I bought it because it looked pretty and had a great title. (S
Natalie
There's so much to love in this story. I adored how it portrayed the intimacies of everyday life: making tea and toast for each other, finding the other person's underwear in your laundry, soothing each other's insecurities, discovering that sexual kink you can explore together. So many books end at the very beginning of the happily ever after. Here, we get both the buildup and some of the aftermath, and it's just warm and lovely. ...more
Jennifer☠Pher☠
That. Was. Beautiful. I loved every single page of that book. Well, I didn't love feeling sad but it was very short lived and it had to happen and it was done brilliantly because I felt wrecked! Oh and this I didn't love...Robert, just so you know, 32 is not OLD! Anyway. That was just a fantastic romantic read and I am shocked at how much I truly loved it. I claim to be bored without a bit of angst or drama or whatever but with this book, well, I loved every single page and never once was wonder ...more
Giveaway! 1 6 Nov 08, 2012 02:20PM
Rainbow Awards Cover Contest! 2 8 Sep 12, 2012 08:40AM
Dreamspinner Press: Meet Anna Martin 30 42 Aug 12, 2012 09:48AM
Dreamspinner Press: Tattoos & Teacups by Anna Martin 3 75 Jul 11, 2012 12:06PM
  • Dex in Blue (Johnnies, #2)
  • Disasterology 101
  • Training Season
  • The Melody Thief (Blue Notes, #2)
  • The Luckiest (Lucky Moon, #2)
  • After Ben (Seattle Stories, #1)
  • The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1)
  • American Love Songs
  • Home Work (Life Lessons, #3)
  • Gasp!
  • The Nothingness of Ben
  • Acrobat
  • The Boys and the Bees
  • Elements of Retrofit (Thomas Elkin, #1)
  • Ethan, Who Loved Carter
  • Xylophone
  • Beach Balls  (Balls to the Wall,  #3)
  • Handle with Care
Anna Martin is from a picturesque seaside village in the south west of England. After spending most of her childhood making up stories, she studied English Literature at university before attempting to turn her hand as a professional writer.

Apart from being physically dependent on her laptop, she is enthusiastic about writing and producing local grassroots theatre (especially at the Edinburgh Frin
More about Anna Martin...

Tattoos (2 books)
  • Tattoos & Tinsel (Tattoos, #2)
Another Way (Another Way #1) Summer Son Tattoos & Tinsel (Tattoos, #2) Cricket Jurassic Heart

“Rob, you’re amazing. You’re possibly the most amazing man I have ever met, and certainly the most amazing man I have ever dated. You are sweet and kind and loving and funny and so adorable, and the sex could be absolutely fucking terrible.” 2 likes
“Uncle Chris is gay,” Cassie tells the realtor with relish.

“Really,” Jessica says, a polite but amused expression plastered on her face.

“Mhmm,” Cassie says. “That means he doesn’t like girls. He likes boys instead. My mommy says that’s okay, though. You can like whoever you want to like.”

“Is that so”.

“Yes. So when I grow up, I’m going to marry a penguin.”
1 likes