Start by marking “Hens and Chickens (The Sovereign Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hens and Chickens (The Sovereign Series, #1)

Hens and Chickens (Sovereign #1)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Two women down-sized by corporate America move to Maine to raise chickens and sell organic eggs -- and discover more than they bargained for, including love! Hens and Chickens is the first book in The Sovereign Series by Maine farmer, author, beekeeper, and itinerant Quaker minister Jennifer Wixson.

Book 2, Peas, Beans & Corn, was published in June 2013, Book 3 The Song
Paperback, first, 272 pages
Published August 5th 2012 by White Wave

To ask other readers questions about Hens and Chickens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hens and Chickens

Camelama
Sep 12, 2012 Camelama rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book - I do so enjoy series about towns with interesting characters and amusing storylines. I had hoped for another lovely read like the Jan Karon books, or something more comical like the Lumby series. Unfortunately there are some things about this that I just can't get past.

For one, the narrator breaks in at the worst (for me) moments, and spends pages talking philosophically about life - which ... why do I care what they think about life? I want to hear from the c
Jennifer Wixson
Sep 21, 2015 Jennifer Wixson rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

I wrote 7-8 novels (so many I've lost count) before Hens and Chickens but never one that I thought was REALLY good enough to publish, until now. Practice? Maybe. Vanity? Probably. But that's why I'm giving this little tale of mine 5-stars.

In addition, when I finished Hens and Chickens I missed my characters and the town so much so that I decided to create The Sovereign Series, thus Hens and Chickens is just the 1st book in a three-book (well, maybe four-book) series. (Quite a few readers have ad

Ngdecker
Sep 29, 2014 Ngdecker rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
I really enjoyed this book, but it wouldn't be for everyone. It was a sweet story with little suspense - you knew exactly how things would come out. Personally, I like that! The author stepped in now and then with some writing on her own ideas. She is a minister, both in the book and in real life, but not an ordinary one. I liked that also, but maybe some wouldn't.
Karen Cukierski
Mar 28, 2016 Karen Cukierski rated it it was ok
First of all, the author reviewed this book- her own book. That's seems so... What's the word I'm looking for? Tacky? Tasteless? Needy? Just scroll down and read Jennifer's review.
Secondly, she overuses exclamation points. She uses so many that at one point I felt the need to count them and found 12 of them on one page. And it wasn't even a full page- it was the first page of a chapter, so it was maybe only 65-75% text.
Thirdly, the author stops telling the story to get philosophical. For pages
Debbie Decker
Aug 16, 2012 Debbie Decker rated it it was amazing
I got this book from giveaways. 1st time I ever won anything! Read it in 2 days-loved the small town feel. The story has many fun quirky people that live in the town. It was not that preachy as the author thinks! As I read i could thing a several friends that would like it!Thanks for a good read!
Leah
Aug 18, 2012 Leah rated it liked it
I was gifted this book in one of the GR giveaways and am happy to review it.

What a sweet story! The characters are so likable and you find you are really wanting the best for them. I also found myself wanting to visit Maine, raise chickens, try Bakewell biscuits, and picnic on Millet Rock. But most of all, I was wishing that Sovereign was a real place so I could move there!

Mrs. Wixson manages to work into a sweet love story, gentle commentary on corporate America, the issue of abuse and its las
Tami
Jul 08, 2012 Tami rated it really liked it
I've always been fascinated by Maine - quaint villages, lighthouses, rocky shores. I've never been there, but it looks and sounds beautiful. Jennifer Wixson's book, "Hens and Chickens", just added to my love of Maine. Ms. Wixson's vivid descriptions of the people and the countryside have me ready to book my plane tickets.

"Hens and Chickens" is a lovely story of two women who leave the city and their corporate jobs to start a business together in rural Maine. There's both romance and mystery, bu
Melissa Acuna
May 26, 2013 Melissa Acuna rated it really liked it
The first in the Sovereign Series about fictional Sovereign, Maine, this book perfectly captures exactly what makes Maine magical: unique characters, simple pleasures and the wonderful beauty of nature.

Lila and Becca split the big city of Boston after Becca is laid off from a large insurance company and Lila quits in solidarity with her friend. Invited to visit Maine by a Tweep (which is exactly how the Maine Twitter Community worked in the early days), they head north and start an organic egg
Niffer
Jun 29, 2013 Niffer rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Sweet and uncomplicated, this was an enjoyable book with a fun plot and a lovely set of quirky characters that you just have to love. Every once in awhile the author's voice would interrupt the flow of the story to take us on a digression that wasn't really necessary for plot development and if you're not a religious person (I'm not particularly) some of the religious overtones might be a little frustrating. On the other hand, it was definitely a relief to read a romance where real caring and at ...more
JoLynn
Jan 29, 2013 JoLynn rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story. It's a familiar fantasy - escaping from the rat race, this time by moving to small town Maine and starting an egg farm. Two co-workers who are also best friends make this move after the older woman is fired and the younger woman quits in support of her. Through a Twitter (!) acquantance they decide to check out a farm for sale in rural Maine. They fall in love with the town and the people they meet there. And of course, the town falls in love with them. A ...more
Beth Withers
Aug 24, 2014 Beth Withers rated it really liked it
I received the third book in the Sovereign series as an Early Reviewers book, but I decided that I really needed to read the first two books first. This is the first one. It is a quaint love story in the fictional town of Sovereign, Maine, complete with interesting characters and a philosophical minister. The action was fairly predictable, but it was an enjoyable read. I like the minister's reflections sprinkled throughout the book - it makes the book different from many books of the same type. ...more
Michelle
Different and heartwarming

I really liked this book and it's characters. They each had their own little quirks and they were delightful. The storyline is different from anything else that I have read and that's a good thing. I did have an issue with the book though. There are quite a few sentences that have excess punctuation in them. For instance, it's seems like the main character is in a constant state of excitement, because there are a lot of exclamation points after a few sentences. I though
Jul 18, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Hens and Chickens is a great story about love in a small New England town. After leaving her corporate job in Boston, Lila decided that she needed to get back to her roots and move to a tiny town to become an organic egg farmer. While starting and exploring her new life she finds love. But before she can truly accept this love she must heal the pain from her childhood. Being an egg farmer in a "one-horse town" is the best therapy!

There are a few slower parts of the book but overall it was a fun
Cathy
Sep 22, 2012 Cathy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-read
I won this book as a Goodreads giveaway. As one of the other reviewers indicated, the characters are quirky, but they are also loveable. The town of Sovereign, Maine seems like a wonderful place to live where life is slower but happier. This was a really quick and fun read and one that did not require a lot of heavy thinking. I plan on reading the other books in the series sometime.
Cassie
Jun 24, 2013 Cassie rated it it was amazing
Excellent read! Living in rural NH (though not quite as rural as the book) so many aspects of the story spoke to me. A quick, enjoyable read with characters that really could step right out of the pages. Looking forward to the remaining two books in the series.

As an aside, I was the first to check out the author inscribed copy from my local library and it was quite daunting!
Marlene
Sep 03, 2012 Marlene rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed the story line. Liked all the info on organic chicken farming and the on going love stories, and difficulties to get past. Which is relatively easy with the power of love by family and friends. Sometimes it is not those people tied by blood that make up our real family and support system. Love the idea of the simple life!.
Jeri Corbitt
Jul 29, 2014 Jeri Corbitt rated it liked it
I did enjoy this book. Until I understood the "storyteller's" little secret, I found it hard to follow in places, as she would devote a chapter to "explaining" things and getting on her soap box. Once her (the storyteller's, not Lila's) secret was revealed, it was easier to follow and to enjoy.
Marilee Steele
Nov 06, 2014 Marilee Steele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Story of a new life.

This book is the story of a women's search for healing from a sexually abused childhood. The author writes of the search to put the past behind, to move on into adulthood. I liked the setting, the lo action, and the characters in the book.
Lisa Clark
Oct 06, 2015 Lisa Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peep peep

This was a good book, but a bit unrealistic in some areas. If one of the main characters had a cell phone, the way they were acting was way too primative. I liked the overall concept of the story, but some points were difficult to follow along.
Bonnie Phelps
Mar 10, 2015 Bonnie Phelps rated it liked it
It was a sweet story but before long I found myself skimming to get through a lot of text that did not move the story forward. All the trademark symbols used in the book were annoying. I doubt I will pick up any other books in the series.
Patricia C Robbins
How Sweet

A true 21st century fairy tale. The characters were offset but pleasant. The plot moved along smoothly. I thoroughly the book and would like to read the sequels
Carrie
Dec 27, 2013 Carrie rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-read-books
had a hard time reading this book. I felt like the author had to many little nicknames, weird sayings and words she would call things. I couldn't even bring myself to finishing this book.
Marie
May 29, 2015 Marie rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best uplifting kind-hearted books I have ever read. It makes me feel even prouded to be a Mainer. Can't wait to get started on book two.
Shannon
May 24, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Apparently, having completed my quest to read every Shannon Hale book ever written, contemporary hipster Christian romance novels are my new guilty pleasure.
Sally
May 01, 2013 Sally rated it it was amazing
Charming story and an enjoyable read!
Gail J.
Jun 30, 2013 Gail J. rated it really liked it
Good trip to rural Maine.
Jo Notary
Feb 15, 2016 Jo Notary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
272pgs, Two women downsized by corporate America move to Maine to raise chickens and sell organic eggs -- and discover more than they bargained for, including love! (Not gay) the first book in the four-novel series, the Sovereign Series, by Maine farmer, author and itinerant Quaker minister Jennifer Wixson.
Diana
Apr 14, 2016 Diana rated it really liked it
I had absolutely no idea what this book would contain, and I am so happy darlings that I read it! I love the "fairy tale" aspect of the writing & the wise narrator. Just a lovely, sweet & funny story. Absolutely delightful & magical!
jgyweniverel
I love quirky...I am quirky! Hope to win a copy. Sounds like a great read and re-read!
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
  • Classic Revenge (Silver Sleuths #1)
  • Crispens Point
  • Scarlet And Gold
  • Round Robin
  • On the Nickel (A Cleopatra Jones Mystery)
  • Mine to Tell
  • Shelter
  • City of Ghosts (A Mystery in Vienna #1)
  • My Lady, The Spy (Brethren of the Coast, #2)
  • Dream Kisses (Romance on the Ranch, #1)
  • Anything For A Story (A Nosy Neighbor Mystery, #1)
  • Lab Notes
  • The Devil Is a Gentleman (Niki Slobodian, #2)
  • Murder in Cottage #6 (A Liz Lucas Mystery #1)
  • The Lady
  • Dunstable Park House-A Victorian Time Travel Romance
  • The Trail (A Savage Wilde #1)
  • The House on Persimmon Road
Born on a dairy farm in Winslow, Maine, Jennifer's writing is heavily influenced by her childhood running free in the Maine pastures and woods near her rural home. She received a Master's degree in Divinity from Bangor Theological Seminary in 2001 and has served as an itinerant Quaker minister for several different denomination churches. Jennifer writes (in winter) from her farm in central Maine, ...more
More about Jennifer Wixson...

Sovereign (3 books)
  • Peas, Beans & Corn (The Sovereign Series, #2)
  • The Songbird of Sovereign (Sovereign #3)

“unsuspecting homeowner?” “Let him finish his eggs, Lila,” Rebecca” 0 likes
“What matters in the end is how many times in this life we have said “I love you;” how many burdens carried by others we have offered to share; how many kind words we have bestowed upon children, the downtrodden and the elderly.” 0 likes