Chicka Chicka ABC

Chicka Chicka ABC

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  7,334 ratings  ·  80 reviews
A rollicking alphabet chant for the youngest child!
Board Book, 14 pages
Published September 1st 1993 by Little Simon (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Chicka Chicka ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicka Chicka ABC

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinBark, George by Jules FeifferThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
17th out of 286 books — 124 voters
Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonGuess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratneyBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Books for one-year-old children
13th out of 168 books — 122 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Olson
This board book is the first part of the popular book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by the same authors. It uses a catchy chanting rhyme and bright colored basic illustrations to present lower case letters in alphabetical order. It would be best used as a read aloud for pre-reading students.

According to Ogle and Beers (2012, p. 208) student knowledge of letters of the alphabet is one of the best predictors of early reading success. This book could be part of many strategies to teach letters including...more
Hope
This book is such a fun way to teach young children about the alphabet! They will love it and want to read it over and over. I like to let the children recognize each letter and try to "read" the story to me! :)
Ellie
Apr 08, 2014 Ellie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: rhyme
This is a excellent book that introduces the alphabet and rhyming words. This is one of the books that I would like all of my students to read in their early school years. This book is full of fun rhyming words that can be easily read and get students to be engaged to read the words together.

I would read this book for a first grade and below. Students will get engaged and excited as we read this book and I will have students repeat the rhyming words for students to get used to the repetition. I...more
Eve Victor
I loved this book when i was younger. My mother, being a teacher, has found numerous ways in the past to teach ma and my siblings different ways to learn the alphabet. This book has added to that list in a very special way. This book both taught me the abcs in a fundamental way, but I was also very interested in the book. The colors are so beautiful and bright, I remember putting my fingers to the cardboard pages as i shifted from page to page. The writing is also very playful. The story is abou...more
Laura Metts
As a infant teacher I have read this book many of times and my infants never grow tired of this book. I enjoy reading this book to them. I love watch their little eyes light up as I read this book to them. This is a great introduction to the alphabet. This book has great illustrations, its so colorful and eye catching.

Bill Martin Jr. is the author of more than 300 children's books including, The Sound of Mystery, Chicka Chicka and many more great children books.
Maura
Apr 07, 2014 Maura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: abcs
This is a great book to read with kids because it helps them learn their ABCs. This is a great rhyming book about the ABCs. All the ABCs had to climb all the way to the top of the coconut tree. When all the ABCs got to the top of the coconut tree, they all fell down. All the ABCs got tangled up all together. Then they fixed the situation. Children will love how rhyming and the ABCs go together. This is a great book to read when are trying to learn the ABCs.
Karawan
I like the full-length Chicka Chicka Boom Boom better. This is only half the story, stopping after the letters fall out of the tree. (And thus skipping one of my favorite details of how the parents are uppercase letters and their children are lowercase!) However I do understand why this version exists. Shortening the story is appropriate for a younger baby with a shorter attention span-- Gavin lost interest partway through the original Chicka Chicka Boom Boom but did sit still and focus for all...more
Classic book! I read it (or at least it was read to me) as a child. That's the main reason why I chose it. I did not recall any content actually (until I read it of course).

It is an energetic book! No, the pages didn't dance or shout, but there were creative and amusing words--"skit" and "skoodle" and others. :)

It was nice, to say the least, to revisit an old memory. And now that I am much older, I understand more than the letters on a page that I recognized; I understood the detail that was pu...more
Tasha
It took me a while to find my rhythm while reading this book, and I initially felt awkward and self-conscious when reading it to my 4-mo daughter. Now that I have the hang of it, it has become one of my favorite books to read to my child, and it is one of her favorites to hear. She looks at me more than at the pages while I am reading, and I love seeing the big smile on her face. It is also the first board book I have memorized, so I am able to recite it to her while we are out strolling or whil...more
Sarah Sammis
Chicka Chicka ABC: 01/01/10
Chicka Chicka ABC is another of the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom series. Harriet and I have also read Chicka Chicka 123. We haven't read the original together yet but she has heard it at school.

From the reviews I've read, Chicka Chicka ABC is an edited version of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom that only covers the part where the mangled ABCs climb back into the coconut tree.

Harriet who knows the original story isn't bothered at all by the editing. I on the other hand was confused...more
Ashley Woodard
Great Readings

Your child will enjoy learn at the same time be able to identify their letters. Chickpea Chicka Boom Boom fun book
Molly
This is a board book version of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and it shortens the story a bit, making it great for younger children. It is just as fun.
Aaron
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a book with a rhythm and a voice.

Chicka Chicka ABC is a shorter Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, just as the following is a shorter Cinderella.

Once there was a young woman whose stepmother made her spend her days Sweeping, Scrubbing, and Polishing, while her stepsisters spent their days Patronizing, Gossiping, and Flattering. They made her sleep by the cinders of the kitchen fire. So they called her Cinderella. One day, the king announced that young ladies must go to the ball...more
Charli
A great ABC book! This one would be perfect for teaching alphabetic awareness with preschoolers/kindergarteners.
to help learn the alphabet is seemed a little overwhelming but fun a cute story to sing to or rap....
Jonathan Ryal
Chicka Chicka abc is an entertaining and faster paced abc book for kids. It tells a story in the form of rhymes for each of the individual letters climbing up the tree. The tree eventually gets full with all the letters, starts to lean, and all the letters end up falling out. The book has a very limited number of words on each page and the letters climb up in the same manner kids are taught the alphabet song. (abc, lmnop...). The book has eye catching bright pictures on every page. Overall one o...more
Nany
Kymberly
This is a favorite of my class. I loved it even more when I taught the Chicka Boom song. Great memories!
The board book version of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom introduces little ones to the alphabet. Great rhythmic rhyme which could be sung (the scholastic video version has an infectiously catchy song). The letters are brightly drawn in lower case, and the text is in black upper case type. The only complaint I have heard about this book is from my cousin: she claims this was her now fifteen year old son's favorite book as a kid, and he never quite learned the right order of the alphabet.
Amanda
Exactly like the beginning of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. It just skips the part where the mangled letters go back up the coconut tree. I found the board book version at TJMaxx and decided I wanted it for our library.

Results are in- this is a winner! I thought the letter mania was over, but I was way wrong. Maybe it's the obsession with Super Why and Alphapig, but this book has been requested at every nap/bedtime reading session since he opened it for Easter.
Brandi
A different spin on the traditional ABC book, reminiscent of "Ten Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed."
Macy Morrison
This as my favorite book when I was little. The pictures are great and it makes it that much more animated. This is a good book for kids ages 3-7.
Adrienne
Super fun book to read aloud with my kids! Love it!
Sydney
I love to read this book to my little kids. They love that it has rhythm and will clap the beat as I read. We sing the abc song after we read it. I have also used this we older children to introduce the letters again and start explaining the sounds the letters make. I have made a corner of my room the tree and had letters go up and down the tree as we learn the new letter of the week.
Anita
Pretty basic ABC book, with some cute rhymes. There wasn't a lot of opportunity to say what sounds the letters made, which is what I prefer in alphabet books.
J-Lynn
A fun board book for young pre-readers that uses the pictures and the refrain from the popular Chicka Chicka Boom Boom book by Archambault to play with the letters of the alphabet. Kids will like the rhythm and rhyme. Parents can point to the letters as they read and ask children to "pick out the J" or "point to the M" to practice letter recognition.
Angeles
My nephew adores this book, and chooses it often for playtime reading. I don't know if it is the high pitch voice I use, or the book itself, but even at just a few months old he would sit through the entire reading!
Kelsey Black
This is a great pre-school-first grade book that teachers students the ABC's in a fun and engaging way.
Tiffiny
After my 2-yr-old daughter put Chicka Chicka Boom Boom in the toilet, one of my 10-yr-old's favorite book as a toddler, we accidentally bought this one to replace it. After reading CCBB so many times we have it memorized, it seems like this book just stops in the middle of the story! But we love the Chicka Chicka books! :)
Charlie
6 stars which I can't do! I love this book. A great alphabet story for kids. I read it to my brother and sister and I believe they like it, too. Great wonderful little kid book.
  • One, Two, Three!
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • The Best Mouse Cookie
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • Eating the Alphabet
  • Ten Little Ladybugs
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • I Love You, Stinky Face
  • Five Little Pumpkins (Harper Growing Tree)
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Yummy Yucky
  • Wheels on the Bus
  • Llama Llama Misses Mama
  • On the Night You Were Born
  • Hug
  • Big Red Barn
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early...more
More about Bill Martin Jr....
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See? Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3