Start by marking “Chicka Chicka ABC” as Want to Read:
Chicka Chicka ABC

Chicka Chicka ABC

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  8,457 ratings  ·  104 reviews
Race to the top of the coconut tree with this delightful alphabet rhyme from the creators of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.

A told B,
and B told C,
"I'll meet you at the top of the coconut tree."

So begins the lively alphabet rhyme that children and their parents love to recite. Martin and Archambault's rhythmic chant and Caldecott Honor artist Lois Ehlert's bold, cheerful art m
Board Book, 14 pages
Published September 1st 1993 by Little Simon (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Chicka Chicka ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicka Chicka ABC

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonGuess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratneyBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Books for one-year-old children
8th out of 191 books — 170 voters
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBark, George by Jules FeifferFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
18th out of 320 books — 176 voters

More lists with this book...

Megan Compton
This book is a classic. I remember reading it when I was a child, but I hadn't even thought about "Chicka Chicka" in a very long time. When I came across it in my search this week, I knew I needed to refresh my memory. I love this title now as much as I did then! My family owned a paperback copy, and it was very worn due to the multiple times it was read to my brother and I. The version I read this week, however, was a hardback copy.

Regardless, this title is so comical, attention grabbing and r
Jennifer Olson
This board book is the first part of the popular book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by the same authors. It uses a catchy chanting rhyme and bright colored basic illustrations to present lower case letters in alphabetical order. It would be best used as a read aloud for pre-reading students.

According to Ogle and Beers (2012, p. 208) student knowledge of letters of the alphabet is one of the best predictors of early reading success. This book could be part of many strategies to teach letters including
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a great interactive alphabet book for early learners or lower elementary level learner. The book uses active, moving picture illustrations to present the alphabet and bring each letter to ‘life’ for the reader. The individuality of the letters is emphasized as well as collective group effort, giving recognition that the alphabet ‘belongs’ together. The book has many adaptive areas for the children such as the movement and rhythm for the kinesthetically learner, color a ...more
This book is such a fun way to teach young children about the alphabet! They will love it and want to read it over and over. I like to let the children recognize each letter and try to "read" the story to me! :)
Apr 08, 2014 Ellie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: rhyme
This is a excellent book that introduces the alphabet and rhyming words. This is one of the books that I would like all of my students to read in their early school years. This book is full of fun rhyming words that can be easily read and get students to be engaged to read the words together.

I would read this book for a first grade and below. Students will get engaged and excited as we read this book and I will have students repeat the rhyming words for students to get used to the repetition. I
Samantha Lindsey
I LOVE THIS BOOK. This book has always been one of my favorites. It simply shows the lower case letters climbing up a coconut tree until it falls over. The way it does it with the rhyming tune give the students such an easy way to remember it. Also, the suspense that the book building by having the tree almost fall over all the way until the end of the book. The students are just waiting for that moment so it is really holding their attention.

In class, this would be a fun activity to try to rec
I read this with my one and two year old class. They really enjoyed this book and wanted to read it again. In certain parts I sung it like I was singing the alphabet song so they could interact with me and the book. We read this book twice, in between the two readings we sung the alphabet song. This book is good for beginning readers because it is predictable and repetitive. I would read it to kindergartners when we talk about lower case letters. I see teachers doing a lot of activities with thi ...more
Eve Victor
I loved this book when i was younger. My mother, being a teacher, has found numerous ways in the past to teach ma and my siblings different ways to learn the alphabet. This book has added to that list in a very special way. This book both taught me the abcs in a fundamental way, but I was also very interested in the book. The colors are so beautiful and bright, I remember putting my fingers to the cardboard pages as i shifted from page to page. The writing is also very playful. The story is abou ...more
Laura Metts
As a infant teacher I have read this book many of times and my infants never grow tired of this book. I enjoy reading this book to them. I love watch their little eyes light up as I read this book to them. This is a great introduction to the alphabet. This book has great illustrations, its so colorful and eye catching.

Bill Martin Jr. is the author of more than 300 children's books including, The Sound of Mystery, Chicka Chicka and many more great children books.
Apr 07, 2014 Maura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: abcs
This is a great book to read with kids because it helps them learn their ABCs. This is a great rhyming book about the ABCs. All the ABCs had to climb all the way to the top of the coconut tree. When all the ABCs got to the top of the coconut tree, they all fell down. All the ABCs got tangled up all together. Then they fixed the situation. Children will love how rhyming and the ABCs go together. This is a great book to read when are trying to learn the ABCs.
This is a great book for young children to learn their ABCs. In this book, the "ABC's starting with A told the next letter that they would meet at the top of the coconut tree. By the end of the alphabet the letters all fell off because of all the weight on the tree. It also has a catchy rhythm to it. I gave it five stars because of the fact students will be able to learn the ABCs through this book.
Crystal Doolittle
I truly loved this book as a child and it sticks in your head as well. I think this book teaches children their alphabet but also what happens when they do things by themselves and they were not supposed too. I think that this is a great book to read out loud and have the children partake in reading it out loud as well. I think children learn things better when said out loud and as a group activity it gets everyone involved.
I like the full-length Chicka Chicka Boom Boom better. This is only half the story, stopping after the letters fall out of the tree. (And thus skipping one of my favorite details of how the parents are uppercase letters and their children are lowercase!) However I do understand why this version exists. Shortening the story is appropriate for a younger baby with a shorter attention span-- Gavin lost interest partway through the original Chicka Chicka Boom Boom but did sit still and focus for all ...more
Maddison Askew
I love this book. I read it when I was a child and I have never forgotten it. It helps students learn upper and lower case along with learning different parts of the alphabet. This is a colorful book along with great illustrations. You could use this in your class and have children draw or paint their own tree and letters coming out.
Classic book! I read it (or at least it was read to me) as a child. That's the main reason why I chose it. I did not recall any content actually (until I read it of course).

It is an energetic book! No, the pages didn't dance or shout, but there were creative and amusing words--"skit" and "skoodle" and others. :)

It was nice, to say the least, to revisit an old memory. And now that I am much older, I understand more than the letters on a page that I recognized; I understood the detail that was pu
Emily Powers
CHicka CHicka ABC is a great book to use in the classroom and at home with your child. It is one of my favorites from me childhood because I can remember each little phrase and how it rhymed with each sentence. I would read this book to a Pre-K class.
This is a good concept book for teaching the alphabet. Page by page, more letters climb the tree until, in the end, it is just too much and all the letters come tumbling down. The rhymes on each page are a catchy way for students to participate in the book, and a way to encourage them to use rhythm and rhyme in their own stories.

Grade Level: 1.9 (Although, I am surprised by this and not entirely convinced.)
This is just a cute little story about all of the little letters climbing into a tree. there is a cute little song to help children remember it. t not only shows the lowercase letters but also the uppercase letters. This can help roll into writing the letters both upper and lower case.
It took me a while to find my rhythm while reading this book, and I initially felt awkward and self-conscious when reading it to my 4-mo daughter. Now that I have the hang of it, it has become one of my favorite books to read to my child, and it is one of her favorites to hear. She looks at me more than at the pages while I am reading, and I love seeing the big smile on her face. It is also the first board book I have memorized, so I am able to recite it to her while we are out strolling or whil ...more
An Abridged version of the full sized book which we own and I much prefer. But this was at the thrift store for $1 and H saw it and immediately said "ABCs!" So who am I to discourage him and his love of all things alphabet! :)
Jacqueline Lewis
This book is fun to read to young children. I think they will love the rhythm and enthusiasm if it's read correctly. I think it's also a great book to teach children the alphabet and to show that learning can be fun.
A shorter, smaller version of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. A nice size for my daughter to read to herself, but we pretty much always grab the bigger/longer Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to read aloud.
Sarah Sammis
Chicka Chicka ABC: 01/01/10
Chicka Chicka ABC is another of the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom series. Harriet and I have also read Chicka Chicka 123. We haven't read the original together yet but she has heard it at school.

From the reviews I've read, Chicka Chicka ABC is an edited version of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom that only covers the part where the mangled ABCs climb back into the coconut tree.

Harriet who knows the original story isn't bothered at all by the editing. I on the other hand was confused
Ashley Woodard
Great Readings

Your child will enjoy learn at the same time be able to identify their letters. Chickpea Chicka Boom Boom fun book
This is a board book version of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom and it shortens the story a bit, making it great for younger children. It is just as fun.
Karen Babinski
The best

My granddaughter knows the book by heart and she is only 2!

We have to read it many times at each reading session.
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a book with a rhythm and a voice.

Chicka Chicka ABC is a shorter Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, just as the following is a shorter Cinderella.

Once there was a young woman whose stepmother made her spend her days Sweeping, Scrubbing, and Polishing, while her stepsisters spent their days Patronizing, Gossiping, and Flattering. They made her sleep by the cinders of the kitchen fire. So they called her Cinderella. One day, the king announced that young ladies must go to the ball
A great ABC book! This one would be perfect for teaching alphabetic awareness with preschoolers/kindergarteners.
Karen Dransfield
I'm reading through as many of Bill Martin Jnr books as I can find in the library. This is the board book version of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. A fun story, very colourful and uses the alphabet for a fun story.
to help learn the alphabet is seemed a little overwhelming but fun a cute story to sing to or rap....
  • One, Two, Three!
  • The Best Mouse Cookie
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • I Love You, Stinky Face
  • Ten Little Ladybugs
  • I Love You Through and Through
  • Quiet Loud
  • Eating the Alphabet
  • Five Little Pumpkins (Harper Growing Tree)
  • Hug
  • Big Red Barn
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Llama Llama Misses Mama
  • Wheels on the Bus
  • How Do Dinosaurs Clean Their Rooms?
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Gallop!: A Scanimation Picture Book
Bill Martin, Jr. (1916-2004) was an elementary-school principal, teacher, writer, and poet. His more than 300 books, among them the bestselling classics Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See; Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear; Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See; and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, are a testament to his ability to speak directly to children. Martin held a doctoral degree in early ...more
More about Bill Martin Jr....