Start by marking “Loyalty” as Want to Read:
Loyalty

Loyalty

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Born to be nobody. Destined to be king. Doomed to be a villain. What matters? Loyalty matters. Loyalty Binds Me.

Artist Hans Holbein receives a summons to the home of Sir Thomas More for the commission of his lifetime, but he will leave with a secret that puts his very life at risk. What he will learn is the truth about the life of King Richard III, from his return from exi
Published June 2012

To ask other readers questions about Loyalty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loyalty

Samantha
This was an enjoyable and surprisingly unique take on Richard III. Lewis uses the unlikely narrator of Thomas More and the theory of his family portrait by Holbein to direct Richard's story. If you are not familiar with the Holbein painting, see http://www.holbeinartworks.org/bfours....

This novel makes use of very beautiful descriptive language. I felt almost as if I was watching a movie, every detail of movement and thought was described so thoroughly. For some portions of the book, I enjoyed
Alan Hamilton
I have to declare an interest here. I’m in the process of writing an alternative history novel – the starting point being that Richard III is victorious at Bosworth – and the story explores what his post-Bosworth reign might have been like. Matthew Lewis’s narrative of Richard's life and death is beautifully done; remarkably well-written, very moving, and, in my opinion captures a highly credible characterisation of the man as deeply honest, pius, insecure, impulsive, and prone to sudden anger t ...more
Joanne
Great story. I especially like the fact that Anne is not portrayed to be a pawn and a pushover like she normally is.

But can I just say??? Someone shoot the copy editor! Typos everywhere!
David Santiuste
This is not a perfect book. I have a copy of the paperback edition, which contains quite a few spelling errors/typos, and a number of passages might have been more tightly edited. Having said that, there is also much to admire here. The characterization of Richard III is thoughtful and considered; Lewis's Richard is essentially an attractive figure, although he does have some intriguing flaws. However, the standout character, for me, is Richard's wife, Anne Neville. Of course this is a work of f ...more
deborah
Long over due!

This is not only a great read it is based on historical fact! I almost did not read it because I have read numerous books on King Richard III and didn't want to re-read the same information. I was presented with information completely different than any previous! I have never been one who believed Richard killed his nephews. This book shows a remarkable man and one of (in my opinion) England's greatest kings.
Donna Mcaleavy Ⓥ
Although this book bored me a little in places I found that for most of it I was glued to the pages. The twist at the end I kind of guessed it would be something along them lines about halfway through the book but its a very interesting theory and i instantly looked up the hans holbein portrait. I like the take on Richard and on Anne Neville and never bore of reading about how their life and marriage may have been. I will definitely be reading the next book honour.
Bgmcleod
The author re-imagines the story of Richard, Duke of Gloucetser's time as loyal servant of his brother, King Edward IV of England, through his death at the Battle of Bosworth. In the story, Richard takes over the throne as a matter of religious duty and is the subject of negative propaganda from the Tudor faction. He does not kill his two nephews or his wife, and strove to promote the interests of the commoner; this was his downfall: he was unliked by the nobility. In the author's notes at the e ...more
Cyn Carpenter
Needs more research into the cultures of the times.
Shannon
A refreshing and different telling of King Richard and his struggles with loyalty to his brother & his country. The author raises some new ideas about what truly happened to the "Princes in the Tower" and removes the veil of villainy that has always covered King Richard to allow the reader a glimpse of a man, thought by history to be a monster, but perhaps more of a complex person than he has been given credit for. Excellent historical fiction novel!
Mandy Hemmings
I thought this book was excellent - I've long been interested in Richard III and anything relating to him, and I vowed that this year I would find out more about it all! Loyalty is sympathetic without conferring some sort of God-like status on Richard - in a word, it's balanced. It's also very well-written and interesting. I particularly enjoyed the scene where he rescues his bride-to-be, Anne Neville, from imprisonment by her sister and brother-in-law.
Ruth
Really interesting and enjoyable take on the reign of Richard 111. It is a sympathetic view of Richard rather than the one portrayed by Shakespeare.
It is a page turner. The author's notes are interesting.
I want to read more about Richard 111 now. Worth reading if you are interested in Richard 111.
Andrea
I enjoyed this book despite the spelling mistakes!.. It gives a new dimension to Richard III even though a little Mills and Boon in places. An Interesting theory is put forward at the end of the book (I won't give it away") but it did make me google The More's family portrait by Holbein!.....
Sue Cook
I really enjoyed this book and it's unusual angle for viewing Richard's reign. This was despite the author's slightly unusual style and the surprising spelling mistakes.
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Missy Mccluskey
Missy Mccluskey marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Jennie
Jennie is currently reading it
Feb 14, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
7020438
Matthew Lewis was born and grew up in the West Midlands. Having obtained a law degree, he currently lives in the beautiful Shropshire countryside with his wife and children. History and writing have always been a passion of Matthew's, with particular interest in the Wars of the Roses period. His first novel, Loyalty, was born of the joining of those passions.
More about Matthew Lewis...
Honour