Last Chance Lassiter (Jake Lassiter, #9)

Last Chance Lassiter (Jake Lassiter #9)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"If your cause is just, no case is impossible." - Jake Lassiter

This time, the linebacker-turned-lawyer faces overwhelming odds. Lassiter represents Cadillac Johnson, an aging rhythm and blues musician who claims his greatest song was stolen by a top-of-the-charts hip-hop artist.

Lassiter's personal life is in chaos. He loses his job at a deep-carpet law firm and moves to a...more
Published July 2nd 2012 by Nittany Valley Productions, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Last Chance Lassiter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Chance Lassiter

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Most Orange Books of All Time
480th out of 599 books — 182 voters
The Mayonnaise Affair by Frank LinnInsane City by Dave BarrySolomon vs. Lord by Paul LevineSkinny Dip by Carl HiaasenThe Deep Blue Alibi by Paul Levine
Best Humorous Novels Set In Florida
32nd out of 41 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim A
Fun read novella with absolutely no suspense as it's a prequel. I would recommend it to any followers of Levine's Lassiter series. First time Lassiter readers, you can skip it and not miss anything other than the Lassiter sense of humor.

Eero
A light, easy read. I have read a couple of Levine's Lassiter books, and generally they are fun, although I have reservations about the Lassiter character. He is sometimes a bit more stupid than necessary, ignoring clues that stick out to the reader. (And it has to be said, I tend to empathise more with brainy, borderline Asperger detectives than jocks like Lassiter.)

Also, he is rather short-tempered and prone to getting physical when he is angry. This violent temper (along with ethical conflic...more
Annette
It is a short novella, the fact it is short makes me sad. But, the story is a good one.

Jake Lassiter is quite a guy. A former pro football player, but not a very successful one.

An attorney who does not want to play the normal lawyer games. He, foolish man that he is, believes in justice, fairness, and treating a client with respect. That shows he is not going to fit in with any other lawyers.

There are many potholes in his road, but he gets a case that is close to his heart. An elderly musician w...more
John
This was my first book in Levine's Lassiter series. I have read several of his Solomon vs. Lord series and loved them. I really enjoyed this book as well. Actually is more of a novella. The character of Jake Lassiter is similar in some ways to Steve Solomon, but different too. Lassiter is an ex-pro football player turned attorney. However, he is an attorney more interested in finding justice for his client than in the law. At the beginning of the book he is fired from the big law firm where he w...more
Kent Winward
Short little e-book on Jake Lassiter's "origin" story. I've been reading the Lassiter books since they came out and they are a guilty pleasure of mine -- kind of like bingeing on an entire quart of ice cream while watching a marathon of some favorite old TV show. It is lawyer fantasy land -- beat up the bad guy, have the "just" case and client, overcome overwhelming odds and your previous job was as linebacker for the Miami Dolphins. I grew up on the '72 Dolphins (Griese, Csonka, Warfield, Shula...more
Stephen Campbell
Last Chance Lassiter is actually a novella written as a prequel to the early Lassiter books written by Paul Levine some time ago. If you like Mr. Levine's writing you'll enjoy this Novella, which takes us back to the days where Jake was working for a big firm in Miami. As you might imagine, his time with the large firm is short and that's where the story takes off. It's always a pleasure to spend some time with Jake Lassiter. I really enjoyed this one.
Tracy
This was a quick read. I enjoy Mr. Levine's style of writing. He creates interesting characters and his main character is just that. Jake Lassiter is a unique lawyer with an interesting past as a ex-linebacker for the Miami Dolphins. He fights furiously for his clients who he has to believe in to represent them. There are several books in this series. This is the second one I have read. I look forward to reading the rest of them.
Robin Edman
This is a fun -- though very short -- read. I'm quite fond of Jake Lassiter, the way the poor sentimental fool stumbles about, making all sorts of messes but always cleaning them up just in time to get justice for the good guy and some sort of justice for the bad guy. This story was especially cheery because nobody died, but it was especially frustrating because poor old Jake was being especially foolish.
Steve
A tale from early in Jake's law career, in which he defends an elderly rock and roller who was plagiarized by a pop superstar. Jake is bullheaded, brash, and he ignores or insults anything or anyone not adhering to his vision of the truth. As always, a fun read.
Joe Vitucci
Lassiter is always a fun read, especially if you're kind of a non-conformist from the 60s. Add an old blues musician whose song is stolen by a hip hop star, and this could have been reviewed in the Rolling Stone.
Daniel Ace
This is a novella not a full novel but I really enjoyed this a lot! It was a great introduction to the world of Jake Lassiter and his Miami. Highly recommend this gladly.
Terri

Very very good. I really like all of Levines books!
Catherine Stange Schmid
Catherine Stange Schmid marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Wanda
Wanda marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Amelia Florence
Amelia Florence marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Pamela
Pamela added it
Aug 02, 2014
Rob Bekkers
Rob Bekkers marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Janette
Janette marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Leigh Kuhl-Roberts
Leigh Kuhl-Roberts marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Legal Thriller 1 4 Jul 07, 2012 03:53PM
The author of 18 novels, Paul Levine won the John D. MacDonald fiction award and was nominated for the Edgar, Macavity, International Thriller, and James Thurber prizes.

A former Miami trial lawyer, he also wrote more than 20 episodes of the CBS military drama “JAG” and co-created the Supreme Court drama “First Monday” starring James Garner and Joe Mantegna.

The critically acclaimed international...more
More about Paul Levine...
Solomon vs. Lord (Solomon vs. Lord, #1) The Deep Blue Alibi (Solomon vs. Lord, #2) Kill All the Lawyers (Solomon vs Lord, #3) To Speak for the Dead (Jake Lassiter, #1) Illegal