Start by marking “When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles #1)

When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles #1)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  1,190 Ratings  ·  188 Reviews
LAZARUS—the man Jesus raised from the dead in one of the most extraordinary encounters with The Living Savior in all of Scripture. But the life of Lazarus holds interest well beyond this miraculous event. Living in Bethany, near Jerusalem, Lazarus witnessed many of the most important events of Jesus’s life and ministry.

Lazarus owned a vineyard and devoted his life to carin
Published March 19th 2013 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about When Jesus Wept, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Jesus Wept

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversMark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine RiversThe Red Tent by Anita DiamantGarden of Madness by Tracy L. HigleySo Shines the Night by Tracy L. Higley
Best Biblical Fiction
96th out of 249 books — 351 voters
Vampire Princess Rising by Jami BrumfieldAlien Species Intervention by J.K. AccinniSecrets of the Realm by Bev StoutCutting Right to the Chase by Stefania MattanaInto the Killer Sphere by Stefania Mattana
Looking forward to read these soon!
77th out of 365 books — 197 voters

More lists with this book...

Michelle
Okay, this novel made me cry a few times, especially toward the end. That gets big points from me, because this story made me ponder my life and the things that I believe. I found the way the story was put together very emotionally gripping. The way the various scriptures and prophecies were woven into the story made the truth of the Bible even more clear. I loved how the authors gave the story context.

One thing I never thought about before was this... how did Lazarus feel about being brought ba
Faith
Apr 11, 2013 Faith rated it it was amazing
Two thoughts about this book: How do the Thoenes write the way they do? And: I am sure glad that When Jesus Wept is the first in a new series.

I may have been sitting on my couch in an April afternoon reading the first chapter of this book, but my mind was with David ben Lazarus in Israel as he rode among the grapevines.

This book is written so vividly that the heat can be felt, the grapes can be tasted and you want to pet the pleasant faced goats that follow you through the vineyards.

The scene, I
Mesu
May 20, 2013 Mesu rated it it was amazing
This is the first biblical novel I’ve read by Brock and Bodie Thoene, and it engaged every element I hope for in a great Bible story. The historical details were masterfully woven into the story, seasoning every character and scene perfectly—not so much that they overwhelmed or so little that they felt like an addendum.

The Thoenes presented familiar Bible characters in ways that challenged my long-held assumptions, making me re-think the identity of the woman caught in adultery, Mary Magdalene,
Ruth Hill
Apr 23, 2013 Ruth Hill rated it it was amazing
Well, this is the first book I have read by the Thoenes in years! My first historical fiction book was from their wonderful WWII series, and I always felt that they had the formula for writing historical fiction, especially in relation to history involving Jews. And they have not lost their touch as they tackle ancient Israel and the time of Christ. I love good Biblical fiction, and this definitely counts as such.

From the first page, they drew me in. They made me consider portions of the well-kn
Retha
Why did Jesus weep when he called Lazarus from the tomb? Who was Lazarus? Would you have wanted to be there … to experience the miracle … to be part of the events preceding that particular day?

Jesus told stories in the form of parables to teach the people. Bodie and Brock Thoene used the art of storytelling combined with research to take us back in time, to Lazarus and his story.

"Judah and I ate slowly, chewing in God’s Word as the true feast of our minds and hearts."

What a feast!

Scripture is
Tara Bentley
May 06, 2013 Tara Bentley rated it really liked it
Do you remember the book that made you fall in love with reading? As a teenager, I loved reading classical literature. Then life got busy and I stopped reading... unless you count Dr. Seuss books. A few years ago I picked up a book series on a lark. A series of Biblical, historical fiction. In those books I once again felt the power of story. Fiction books take us to places that we wouldn't otherwise have access to. And Biblical fiction gives depth to stories and lessons that we thought we ...more
Sid Frost
Jul 24, 2013 Sid Frost rated it it was amazing
A quote from Publishers Weekly on the back of the book describes When Jesus Wept as a reimagination of the evolving friendship between Jesus and Lazarus. Since I had not read other books by the authors I didn't know what to expect. I wondered if only Bible scholars would appreciate this fictionalized story based on the Bible. But, the more I read, the more I got into the story.

I admit I did go to the Bible on occasion to satisfy my curiosity about sections of the book. The authors made this easy
Cassandra
I usually love the Thoene's books. This one... not so much. It was very different from the others. The subject was similar but the book was written in first person. The narrative was choppy and character development didn't feel genuine. The book didn't delve into the historical detail that the other books included. It was much shorter and not as interesting.

I really, really wanted to like it. I was so excited when I heard there was a new book published and immediately put it on hold at the libr
♥iDevourBooks♥ ☆Sonic~Obsessed☆
I'm waiting impatiently for this book by some of my favorite authors. I'm so desperate to read more books by Bodie and Brock Thoene!!!
Rose on aish
When Jesus Wept is about the life of Lazarus. It starts with the end of his 30-day period of grieving the death of his wife and son. Everything is written out of Lazarus' perspective. He goes to see John the Baptist and hear him speak, where he has his first meeting with Jesus. I found the story of Patrick the slave one of the most heartwarming elements of this book.

What was awkward, was Lazarus' conversation with certain loved ones in heaven, before he was raised by Jesus. It wasn't so good! Fo
Lisa Johnson
Apr 12, 2013 Lisa Johnson rated it it was amazing
Title: When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles)
Author: Bodie & Brock Thoene
Pages: 336
Year: 2013
Publisher: Zondervan
“Jesus wept” is known as the shortest verse in the Scriptures, but how aware are we of the powerful image it can bring to our minds. Not only is the image we think of potent, but so is the emotion if we pause and allow ourselves to contemplate His feelings. Why did Jesus weep anyway? Was it because Lazarus died? Perhaps it was that many, including Martha and Mary, weren’t sur
Charity U
Apr 08, 2013 Charity U rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biblical-fiction
You may have read a retelling of the story of Lazarus before…but I guarantee that it didn’t hold a candle to this particular version. Because this one? Is from Lazarus’s point of view. Before I give a few more details about that, let me mention that the amount of historical detail and accuracy in general relation to the time period in this book is simply stunning. I have been very impressed with all the research that the Thoenes have poured into all their books, including the A. D. Chronicles ...more
Amy Bradsher
Apr 06, 2013 Amy Bradsher rated it it was amazing
When Jesus Wept is the best kind of historical fiction: the kind that drops you headfirst into another era and makes it difficult to return to your own time upon the turning of the last page. The Thoenes had me questioning from the very first sentence about Lazarus' backstory. I wanted to know more: What was he like, what happened to him, what did he believe? I couldn't wait to find out how Lazarus came to be lying dead in the tomb and later resurrected by Jesus. Prior to reading this book, I ...more
Annette
Apr 09, 2013 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary:
Jesus spent much time in Bethany, in the home of siblings Lazarus, Martha, and Mary. Later, Jesus miraculously raised Lazarus back from the dead. But from Scripture we know little about the person of Lazarus. We know little about the background or status of this family. Bodie and Brock Thoene have written an amazing fictional account of this family in order to bring to life the beloved friends of Jesus. Other key Biblical characters are also included: John the Baptist, the disciples, Jud
TAMMY CUEVAS
Apr 22, 2013 TAMMY CUEVAS rated it it was amazing
"Jesus wept." The shortest verse in the Bible, and probably the most memorized among young Sunday School students, it is also the cause of one of the most asked questions among churchgoers and theologians: Why did Jesus weep?

In this novelization of the story of Lazarus and his sisters, we see the relationship between David ben Lazarus and Jesus of Nazareth as it begins and grows. It is not only a relationship of Lord and disciple, but also one of true friendship. While of course the back story
Gail Welborn
Aug 10, 2013 Gail Welborn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
***Don't miss the beginning of the Thoene's new series-Jerusalem Chronicles***

Award winning writers, Bodie and Brock Thoene begin their new series, The Jerusalem Chronicles with When Jesus Wept, a fictionalized account of David-ben-Lazarus’s life and death. It’s the intriguing tale of Mary, Martha and Lazarus and their unique friendship with Jesus that includes Lazarus’ death, his time in the heavenlies and return four days after burial.

Readers first meet Lazarus with his “eternal companions” i
Beverly
Apr 19, 2015 Beverly rated it really liked it
In all honesty, I was a little shocked at how much of Jesus' ministry and life that Bodie and Brock Thoene tied into the life of Lazarus. At times it seemed a bit overboard. However,I am aware that Brock is well known for his in depth historical research, and I appreciated they were very clear about the passages of scripture that were used throughout the entire book. Once I got into the story, and past my own preconceived expectations, I was swept up by all of the spiritual illustrations and the ...more
Sharon
Sep 26, 2016 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book as I have come to expect from Brock and Bodie Thoene... I have read many of their books and this one is wonderful also... covers a couple of years just before, during and after the resurrection of Lazarus... Wonderful characters and storyline. The descriptions of the region and the people and the characters are so colorful and vivid you feel like you are right there seeing it all and experiencing it all as well... I have been fans of theirs for a long time and this is one more ...more
Mark Condy
Mar 19, 2015 Mark Condy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: when-jesus-wept
This was my first time reading (actually I listened to an audio book)this author and it was a wonderful book, so beautifully written, taking you the reader through a back door into behind the scenes of the relationship of Jesus and Lazarus, powerful imagery, that was an excellent book for the time when I read it, preparing for Easter, like a Lenten study of a difference. It was an emotional roller coaster but was a wonderful experience. I would recommend highly, I just finished the book and went ...more
Debbie Lockledge
By far the best book I have read so far this year. This book takes you back to the culture and events of Jesus' adult life and earthly ministry with such detail. Meticulous and thorough research went into this incredible book to the extent that you will feel like you participated in the journey with them. If I had the option of giving it more than 5 stars, I most definitely would. Incredible from start to finish!!
Beth
Oct 08, 2015 Beth rated it liked it
I'm not a big fan of Biblical Fiction and wouldn't have picked this book to read on my own. And since it was a book for my book club I decided to give it a try. I felt that it was a ok book though there were somethings that I didn't totally agree with. I decided to listen to this book because I love audiobooks. I loved the reader they chose for this book. He did a wonderful job changing his voice for the different people which was wonderful.
Jean
Apr 11, 2016 Jean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jean by: Audible Daily Deal
(Audible; D.J. Canaday, narrator) A reimagined story of Jesus' early ministry through Palm Sunday, that includes later legends (e.g., the legend of the centurion Longinus) as told by Lazarus, the owner of a vineyard, brother of Mary and Martha, and the man whom Jesus weeps over and raises from the dead. Good introduction to the vintner's art in Roman Palestine during Tiberius' rule. The book itself reads like Young Adult fiction, somewhat preachy, with a clear moral to each episode.
Erika
May 06, 2013 Erika rated it liked it
I've read Bodie Thoene for 25 years! So many series', and books that have touched and encouraged me. This one, however, wasn't my favorite. It was a bit bland and never really got off the ground. Usually with their books I wait until most of a series has been published because I want to start the next one immediately! My very favorite to date is the A.D. chronicles...highly recommended.
Melissa
Aug 31, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and the story. It is told through from the perspective lens of Lazarus. This story highlights the uncertainty surrounding Jesus prior to his crucifixion but also shows the budding relationship/friendship between Jesus and Lazarus. Wonderfully written.
Kathie
Mar 27, 2013 Kathie rated it liked it
Shelves: inspirational
It was interesting............but not the quality of work that I've come to know and love from this author. Still a good story. Had some trouble with the who's who, and the writing seemed a little less focused than it has been in the past.
Ruthann Volcheff
Mar 23, 2016 Ruthann Volcheff rated it liked it
I chose this book for a "Lenten" read. I listen to an audio version. It was good but I always giggled when the peasant character spoke with a cockney accent.
Claudia {SparrowHawk}
description

When Jesus Wept is a versatile story that is tightly knitted in a deeply affecting way and perfectly through-provoking. It is also invigorating in view of its unconventional timeline. Ultimately, I enjoyed the book, but with a few minor reservations — I liked it!
___________________________________
WHAT I LIKED
+ When Jesus Wept is a story that follows the life of Lazarus, and additionally deals with Israel’s reaction and response to John the Baptist’s ministry as well as the ministry of Jesus
Oct 25, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
When Jesus Wept is a sentence in the Bible when Jesus came Bethany after his friend Lazarus had died. The Bible records that Jesus wept which could have been recorded in addition to glorify God as he called Lazarus back from the dead or from the comments of his sister Martha. This has been a short sentence which I have read, discussed and wondered in various studies. These authors’ writes in such a way that you want to read more but have you going to the Bible to verify some of the events from ...more
KAREN RUTH ULLOM
A HEARTFELT STORY OF THE BETRAYAL OF JESUS THROUGH THE EYES OF LAZARRAS

Not only did this author describe the Passover weekend, but she described the people of the land surrounding Jerusalem and how they thought and lived. Throughout it all Jesus would go ahead drink the bitter cup. It's so sad that there will always be so MUCH strife in this region.
Vonna
Oct 25, 2016 Vonna rated it it was amazing
using scripture and some imagination, this first installment of the Jerusalem Chronicals documents the beginning of Jesus' ministry on earth and his friendship with Lazarus, Mary and Martha. one of the best books I've read in a very long time.
Bodie and Brock T...: When Jesus Wept 11 12 Apr 09, 2013 03:06AM
  • Return to Me (The Restoration Chronicles #1)
  • Claudia, Wife of Pontius Pilate
  • Love in a Broken Vessel (Treasure of His Love)
  • Garden of Madness
  • The Thief (The Living Water, #2)
  • Baron of Emberly (The Feud, #2)
  • Cannons of the Comstock (Saga of the Sierras #5)
  • The Crimson Cord: Rahab's Story (Daughters of the Promised Land, #1)
  • The Offering
  • Reign: The Chronicles Of Queen Jezebel (Lost Loves of the Bible #3)
  • The Advocate
  • Grave Consequences (Grand Tour, #2)
  • The Choice
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...

The Jerusalem Chronicles (3 books)
  • Take This Cup (The Jerusalem Chronicles #2)
  • Behold the Man (The Jerusalem Chronicles #3)

“When a good man suffers … perhaps it makes his roots reach deeper for the water?” 2 likes
“Though the growing may be difficult, God will be glorified at the end of every righteous man’s story.” 2 likes