Start by marking “The Upper Berth” as Want to Read:
The Upper Berth

The Upper Berth

Every now and again, the smell sea water permeates the air, as if the cabin had been flooded and never properly repaired. The porthole opens repeatedly in the night with no conceivable reason. And the last few passengers who have slept in the upper berth have run through the ship like men possessed to throw themselves into the ocean. Mr. Brisbane, resident of the lower ber ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1886)

To ask other readers questions about The Upper Berth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Upper Berth

Duane
A 19th century ghost story that was actually scary. Set on a boat on the open sea added an extra element to the horror. Francis Marion Crawford was a prolific American writer that I had never heard of. I discovered him on The Literature Network where most of his work is available to read free.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Jan 10, 2011 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of classic horror, excellent ghost stories
Brilliantly creepy. I read it in Oxford Book of English Ghost Stories, and it was one of the standout stories in that volume. I definitely want to reread this one!
Synchro
Jul 25, 2007 Synchro rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Horror Fans Young And Old
This was one of the first stories that really freaked me out as a child. A must read for all horror fans young and old.
Brenda
Sep 07, 2015 Brenda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: so-plain, meh
Super meh
I think I will not be reading this again.
sabisteb
Mar 18, 2011 sabisteb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hörspiele
Wieder einmal reist Aldous Brisbane auf einem Dampfer über das Meer. Er ist ein erfahrener Seereisender und kaum etwas kann ihn noch aus der Fassung bringen. Er liebt es auf ihm bereits bekannten Schiffen zu reisen, nur diesmal hat er einen ihm unbekannten Dampfer gewählt. Seine Kabine mit der Nummer 105 liegt im Untedeck und mit ihr scheint etwas nicht ganz in Ordnung zu sein. Es riecht salzig muffig und auch der Steward ist sehr nervös als er seinen Koffer in die Kabine bringt.
Aldous Brisbane
Jason
Oct 19, 2014 Jason rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ghost Story Peeps
Recommended to Jason by: The Complete Wandering Ghosts
Shelves: 2014
I reckon it's a complete coincidence that there was a ghost on today's episode of The Love Boat. (Please don't judge; I didn't have the clicker). That ghost was encouraging his... widowed wife?... to pick a new mate... I think. (I wasn't paying close attention, and was trying to read this at the same time). The Love Boat ghost was played by Jimmie Walker.

J. J. Jimmie Walker photo JimmyWalker.jpg

Thankfully the ghost on the ship in this story was nowhere near as obnoxious. The story itself was nothing special, and I was tempted to give
Bob
Oct 29, 2016 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great little ghost story.
Amina
May 04, 2016 Amina rated it it was ok
Meh..
A gentleman decides to go to the bottom of the mystery of his cabin, cabin 105, a strange sea smell, a cold breeze, a porthole opening for no obvious reason and the occupents of the upper berth throwing themselves off board for no apparent reason in the last four trips..
It was supposed to scare but unfortunately it wasn't the case
Tom Mathews
A great classic tale of a passenger's encounter with the supernatural during an Atlantic crossing. Included in Wandering Ghosts, available from Amazon for free on Kindle.
Fachrina
Jan 08, 2017 Fachrina rated it liked it
A sufficiently creepy little story.
Syed Sholok
Feb 16, 2017 Syed Sholok rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Seriously chilling. Probably one of the scariest stories I've ever read.
AnnMarie
Today is a very bleak and rainy day, perfect for reading! And more perfect for reading a ghost story! This was recommended to me from a friend here awhile back. I have a list of classics that she recommended and this was on top of one of the lists that had to do with my particular fascination with reading paranormal stories!
This short story is about a man recalling a strange event that happened to him to his friends. He tells of a passage he made on a particular ship and had a very eye-opening
Dione Basseri
Sep 01, 2015 Dione Basseri rated it really liked it
I'm used to older horror stories being lackluster, compared to modern standards, but this was actually pretty enjoyable. A frequent ship traveler finds himself in a berth whose porthole keeps opening. At first he blames his cabin-mate, but soon learns that strange happenings are common around the room.

While the trope of a haunted room is common, I didn't feel like I was able to predict this story too much. It was simple, yes, but I still enjoyed it.

I listened to the free audio production from Li
Rhonda Davis
Sep 06, 2014 Rhonda Davis rated it it was amazing
I first came in contact with an abridged version of this story in grade school. it was a children's book series called "Famous tales of suspense" titled, "The Nightmare Ship" adapted by I. M. Richardson. I never learned until recently what the original story was, or who was the author. I bought an audiobook compilation titled "great classic suspense", and F. Marion Crawford's short story was amongst the titles. how giddy was I to finally experience the story in it's original form! it did not of ...more
V
Oct 17, 2016 V rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic-terror
Wow this was.actually spooky! Its part of In the Shadow of Edgar Allan Poe: Classic Tales of Horror, 1816-1914. So far all the stories are spooky or scary.
Professor
Apr 17, 2012 Professor rated it really liked it
Shelves: iphone
I'd read Crawford's Upper Berth before, and enjoyed it, but decided to give it another read after The Woman in Black left me in the mood for a good, old fashioned ghost story. The Upper Berth did not disappoint-it is still one of the best.
Pallav Mishra
Sep 22, 2016 Pallav Mishra rated it it was amazing
A fantastic fin de siecle horror story..
Donald
Jan 03, 2017 Donald rated it liked it
Pretty good ghost on a ship story! Creepy enough, but not terrifying. Still and all, I don't think I'd ever want to sleep in state-room 105 of the Kamtschatka. No way.
Ken
May 08, 2013 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
Mr Brisbane details his adventures after booking a lower berth in a haunted stateroom on the steamship Kamtschatka.

This is a classic horror short story by F Marion Crawford.

4 STARS
Nancy
Sep 25, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, reviewed
A ghost story on a boat. Brilliantly executed, but yes, a tad anti-climactic.
Clara
Apr 07, 2011 Clara rated it it was ok
A little anti climactic...but a good old ghost story, nevertheless.
Rachael Dixon
Dec 05, 2015 Rachael Dixon rated it liked it
Two entertaining stories in this book. Quick light-hearted reads, which are by no means scary, but I did enjoy both.

(A star deducted for the amount of times the word melancholy was used).
Michael Grogan
Michael Grogan rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2017
Eric
Eric rated it liked it
May 15, 2014
Chiara Federico
Chiara Federico rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2014
Jesserichards
Jesserichards rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Rani
Rani rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Kajli
Kajli rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Siddharth Chakravarthy
Siddharth Chakravarthy rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2015
  • Sredni Vashtar and Other Stories
  • Green Tea
  • The Temple
  • Crawlspace
  • Lot No. 249 (Fantasy and Horror Classics)
  • Black Spirits and White - A Book of Ghost Stories
  • Great Ghost Stories
  • The Were-Wolf
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • The Wolf-Leader
  • Forever
Francis Marion Crawford (1854-1909) was an American writer noted for his many novels. He was born at Bagni di Lucca, Italy. In 1879 he went to India, where he studied Sanskrit and edited the Allahabad Indian Herald. Returning to America he continued to study Sanskrit at Harvard University for a year, contributed to various periodicals, and in 1882 produced his first novel, Mr Isaacs. This book had ...more
More about Francis Marion Crawford...

“The situation was saved; Brisbane was going to tell a story.” 1 likes