Start by marking “The Knot” as Want to Read:
The Knot

The Knot

3.55  ·  Rating Details ·  1,125 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Dominic Kitchen is a wedding photographer. Every Saturday since his career began in the sixties he has photographed a bride and groom on the happiest day of their lives, captured the moment they tied the knot forever, and then faded away into the background.

But throughout his life, Dominic has felt a knot inside him tighten, threatening his own chance of a happy ever after
Published August 2012 by Simon and Schuster (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Knot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knot

Petra X smoke fish no cigar
This is contemporary fiction at it's lightest hiding a dark secret that could have made it fascinating but it needed to be a work of more depth for that.

None of the characters were particularly endearing and most of them weren't particularly believable either. I intensely disliked the ending but that was a personal thing, others might not feel the same. (view spoiler)
Dan
Sep 06, 2012 Dan rated it liked it
Never before have I had such mixed feelings about a book when I've finished it. This book is essentially a fictional memoir which pretty much tells everything that happened in the life of wedding photographer Dominic Kitchen. The titular knot comes in two distinct ways. One is from tying the knot what with their being lots of weddings, both professionally and involving family members. The second comes from the knot in the stomach, the feeling of unease or distress that Dominic has. That unease c ...more
Allen Vincent
Dec 05, 2013 Allen Vincent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bob
Mar 05, 2014 Bob rated it it was amazing
I don't say this lightly but, this has to be one of the best books I've read in a long time. Not only is it fun, moving, easy to read, and all the other superlatives that folks use far too easily, but it is really well written. The pace is a delight, it rattles along without the reader even knowing they're doing it. I finished the last chapter, put the book down, looked out of the window and realised I was in Iceland. Time was getting on and I needed beer. No easy task in Reykjavik!
Seriously tho
Bettie☯
BABT

Blurb: Dominic Kitchen is a wedding photographer who is used to seeing people tie the knot, an expression that also represents a sensation that he feels in the pit of his stomach. A sensation that emerges when he is in the presence of a certain person who could change his ordinary life forever. They have a secret that only they can ever know as it is something that society, even today, would struggle with. This is a tale of agonising loss and forbidden love.

Written by Mark Watson
Abridged by
Jane
Apr 09, 2014 Jane rated it it was ok
I really, really want to rate this higher but I just can't, maybe 2 and a half at a push. I loved Eleven and was expecting something as complex and well-written but I was disappointed. It's nothing to do with the sensitive subject matter, which was handled about as delicately as possible, I just didn't really warm to anyone. I also struggled with parts of the ending. Victoria finding out their Mothers secret didn't really change anything and I wasn't really sure how Beth suddenly becoming a majo ...more
Kelly
Jul 09, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is one of those books I found myself flipping back to the cover to wonder about as I read. Because the main character is a wedding photographer, the title makes sense, but the light attitude of the artwork seems to contradict the serious tone of the book. Told as a memoir, the story details the life and relationships of Dominic -- those of his immediate family, his family as a married man, and his professional life as a photographer. Anyone drawn to this book because of the wedding photogra ...more
Louise
Jun 16, 2013 Louise rated it liked it
Clare Hudson
Sep 23, 2013 Clare Hudson rated it it was ok
Hmmm... really not sure about my feelings on this one - didn't like the subject matter and, although it was well written, I had absolutely no sympathy/empathy or connection with any of the characters. They all needed to get a grip and sort themselves out (sorry if that's an over generalisation). Would only recommend it to avid readers - if you don't read very much then pick something else - there's far too many other good books out there, in my opinion. Would be interested in reading another one ...more
Snoakes
Jan 06, 2014 Snoakes rated it it was amazing
For some reason, Mark Watson's novels had passed me by until Eleven was a kindle daily deal last year sometime. I really enjoyed that, so I downloaded The Knot and it is every bit as enjoyable. Mark Watson is a very talented storyteller.
I'm really looking forward to Hotel Alpha now.
Lorraine Currie
Sep 01, 2014 Lorraine Currie rated it did not like it
I would not recommend this book to anyone. I even left it behind. It presents as light summer reading, a tragi comedy it states. Its actually a story of incest and I struggled to find much humour in it at all.
Selma
Aug 06, 2015 Selma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
light. enjoyed it.
Nov 11, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I'd reviewed this when I finished it, but I must have forgotten! This was purchased quite a while ago on a Kindle Daily Deal whim because I like Mark Watson as a comedian so I fancied giving his fiction a go.

The Knot is both a funny and heartbreaking story of growing up, and of family in all its intricacies and difficulties.

I had just two niggles. The first was that Dominic ages through the book from quite a young boy to a man well into middle-age, yet his character and behaviour didn'
Mei Yii
Dec 06, 2016 Mei Yii rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book.

I loved the characters, both good and dark sides to them. Great characters and conversations always win me over. I loved how it talked about weddings, all sorts of them (I've been to many myself and his account of them just makes me laugh). I loved reading all of Dominic's significant relationships he had in his life. I loved how it highlighted the difficulty of talking about taboo issues.

Pace of the book was great. I couldn't put the book down and there weren't any sl
Kathleen Cameron
An amazing story

It took me a couple of days after finishing this book to write this review, simply because I wasn't quite sure what to write. But have concluded that from my own perspective, this story recognises the skeletons in every family closet and deals with some fairly big issues in a sympathetic way. The one thing that 'pressed buttons', was the section of the story about the father and his final battle with dementia. It was handled well and recognised the impact of this terrible fate th
Vicki Turner
Oct 30, 2016 Vicki Turner rated it liked it
A compelling read. Mark Watson writes with perception and clarity. It is a testament to his ability that I could not put this book down, in spite of there being a lack of likeable characters and a prevailing sense of unease.
Lucy Ponton
Dec 22, 2016 Lucy Ponton rated it it was ok
Anita
Nov 28, 2016 Anita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to rate this book. I enjoyed it and liked the writing but it's a pretty "icky" story which made me uncomfortable.
Katie Hyman
Oct 06, 2016 Katie Hyman rated it really liked it
I wasn't quite sure at first about this book due to what it was about, however, once I gave it a chance I really enjoyed it.
Leonie
Oct 03, 2016 Leonie rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the first half of this book; the characters were fun and the setting of the 1960s 1070s was interesting. However the second half was a bit long-winded, with the main character whining on a bit much for my liking. The 'surprise' was more intriguing than shocking, and I was disappointed it got 'watered down' at the end. Loved the dialogue though, and the behind-the-scenes look at weddings was amusing.
Christina Rochester
Oct 07, 2016 Christina Rochester rated it really liked it
This was much better than Eleven. Not a fan of the incest though
Hannah Keogh
Sep 25, 2016 Hannah Keogh rated it it was ok
Though this book was well written and the characters worked well, I was duped by the blurb claiming it to be uplifting when it was actually quite dark and depressing. It hit quite a few nerves and I would not read again (though perhaps a reflection on me rather than the book... ;)
Cassandra
Dec 03, 2012 Cassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dominic ist der Nachzügler der Familie, seine Geschwister sind viel älter als er. Sein Bruder Max ist ehrgeizig, schafft den Sprung nach Oxford und macht Karriere und verdient sehr gut. Seine Schwester Victoria ist unangepasst und Dominic bewundert sie uneingeschränkt, sie ist für ihn ‚Überlebensgroß‘ und noch viel mehr. Sie ist es auch, die in Dominic die Liebe zur Fotografie weckt und so mit einer Kamera, die sie ihm schenkt, den Grundstein für seinen Beruf legt. So ist Dominic jedes Wochenend ...more
Yun Zhen
Jul 05, 2014 Yun Zhen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book definitely went into some taboo topics I had no idea I would be reading about when I picked up the book. But even so, it was a good read in the end.

The book reads like a fictional autobiography with the main character, Dominic Kitchen recounting most of his life from childhood, eventually stopping at his daughter's wedding.

This book was not great in the sense that none of the characters were characters you would adore or love and I didn't take to any of them at all. But perhaps that
Diana
Jul 31, 2015 Diana rated it it was amazing
Kayleigh
Kenny
Mar 30, 2015 Kenny rated it it was ok
Hmmm. Mark Watson's day job is a comedian, and for one who often appears on panel shows, with a relatively unusual line in just being upbeat, happy and certainly not caustic. I read the excellent Eleven on holiday a couple of years back and thoroughly enjoyed it (proper beach reading), so I was looking forward to this. Even though it wasn't really clear what the book was about.

But, beware books that do this...ok, if the blurb read, a slightly dull, if convincingly written bloke grows up, goes th
Steven Pilling
Sep 27, 2012 Steven Pilling rated it really liked it
If Mark Watson wasnt known as Mark Watson Commedian and author im sure this book would have more publicityand possibly be better regarded.
It would be classified as bloke lit by most,despite the fact that it avoids most bloke lit cliches such as football and music (it actually confronts and plays with both cliches early on.) but i think it is not although it has the best parts of a decent Hornby novel.
What i found was a refreshing novel, that used the characters job to allow it to move from set
Lucy Clayton
Aug 02, 2014 Lucy Clayton rated it liked it
I picked up this book looking for a bit of light summer reading, having loved, and I mean LOVED (with capital letters indeed) Mark Watson's previous work, 'Eleven'. But I'm afraid that this story has left me a bit conflicted and confused, and anything but full of the jollities of summer.

Here, we still have flashes of Watson's sharp and quintessentially British wit. This I like. I also like the start. The end felt "right" and satisfying. Victoria was a joy to read. But something was missing from
  • The Incomplete Tim Key
  • Die Tante Jolesch
  • Gehen
  • Die Ratten. Berliner Tragikomödie
  • La Société des jeunes pianistes (Aksel Vinding, #1)
  • 6 österreicher unter den ersten 5: Roman einer Entpiefkenisierung
  • Quasikristalle
  • Abschied von Sidonie
  • Röslein rot
  • Mannen som dog som en lax
  • Die Strudlhofstiege oder Melzer und die Tiefe der Jahre
  • Alle Toten fliegen hoch: Amerika
  • The Sinner
  • Der Trafikant
  • The Memoirs of Josephine Mutzenbacher
  • Das Augenspiel. Lebensgeschichte 1931-37
  • Dorfpunks
  • Arthur Mervyn
Mark Andrew Watson (born 13 February 1980) is an English stand-up comedian and novelist.

Watson was born in Bristol to Welsh parents. He has younger twin sisters called Emma and Lucy and brother Paul. He attended Henleaze Junior school and then Bristol Grammar School, where he won the prize of 'Gabbler of the year', before going to Queens' College, Cambridge, where he studied English, graduating wi
More about Mark Watson...