Start by marking “Once Upon a Time Machine” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Time Machine

Once Upon a Time Machine

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Fairy tales have fueled our dreams and fired our imaginations for centuries. Step inside a time machine built by a collection of today's finest storytellers, and enter a range of futures where familiar tales are reimagined in an astonishing variety of styles. This collection of twenty-five retold tales delivers a reading experience that will delight generations young, old, ...more
Published October 10th 2012 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Time Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Time Machine

Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadTwilight by Young KimTwilight by Stephenie MeyerFrostbite by Richelle MeadNew Moon by Stephenie Meyer
My Favorite Graphic Novels
61st out of 161 books — 205 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanBatman by Alan MooreGhost World by Daniel ClowesBatman by Frank Miller
Best One-Off Graphic Novels
66th out of 81 books — 58 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
Disclaimer: Copy recieved via Netgalley.

Once Upon a Time Machine is what all good retellings of beloved tales should be. The basic premise is a series of tales transported to Sci-Fi settings that, in part, ensure employment of a comics department in a large corporation. Perhaps a comment on today's publishing world? If so, it seems to be an accurate one.

And you can believe it.

The various stories used include American folklore such as John Henry, Aesop, Asian tales such as “The Peach Pit Boy”, Eu
Auggie
Without giving too much away, as this great title doesn't actually release until later this year, I want to tell you what a fun read this was! I was skeptical at first when I realized that it was a comic book. Not that I dislike comics. I used to read them all the time when I was younger, I just wasn't in the mood for one and wasn't sure how they were going to pull that one off...

But they did! I zoomed through the 400+ pages of AMAZING illustrations and FANTASTIC fable twists. It took a creative
Aimeekay
I really enjoyed reading this one. I wasn't sure at first. Sometimes I have issues with remakes of classics. But overall I think the authors and artists did a great job.
Some of the ones I really loved....Goldilocks and the Three Bears...The Tortoise and The Hare...Momotaro...The Five Chinese Brothers (even though it was sad!) , Vasilissa the Beautiful...
Well in thinking about it I pretty much enjoyed all of the stories.

I really liked that each story had different art styles. It made every story
Kellie Sheridan
This is an extremely cool collection of short stories (in the form of comics/graphic novels), Once Upon A Time Machine takes a huge selection of stories we all grew up with and turns them into futuristic or entirely reinvisioned versions. There were a few stories I didn't recognize (that may have been appropriate additions of newer stories, I'm not sure) which were great, but my favorites were always the stories with hilarious new interpretations of my favorite fables.

While I genuinely enjoyed t
Sara
This lush anthology explores fairy tales (and some fictional classics) through the lens of science fiction. By turns grim, biting, enchanting, and wistful, the stories and imagery reshape our understanding of the significance of these long-cherished stories and tropes: Hansel and Gretel as bees, Pinocchio as a holographic truth-teller, John Henry as the final frontier "against" the introduction of robotic workers, Goldilocks facing justice for what she's done to a planet's native life-forms...

L
Mith
Once upon a Time Machine is a graphic novel collection of futuristic retellings of some of the popular fairy tales. Some of the illustrations, as well as the stories, as really good. I particularly enjoyed the re-tellings of Pinocchio, Sweet porridge, The Last Leaf and Rikki-Tikki-Tavi.

One complaint though. The graphic novel was not properly rendered in Adobe Digital Editions so everything was a bit blurry which made it difficult for me to read the dialogue often.

ARC received from NetGalley and
Christyn
Once Upon a Time Machine was a whole lot of fun! Retellings and Pictures of classic tales with a Sci-Fi/Futuristic twists. There are 50 total; 25 Retellings/Stories (Comic Style) and 25 Illustrations. The artwork was amazing and the stories were great - I enjoyed the vast majority of them. Some were a little confusing and I just didn't get. I wish that all (or perhaps most) of the illustration only parts were stories because some of the pictures were great and I really wanted a story behind them ...more
Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog
Background: Once Upon a Time Machine is a collection of children’s tales retold through the guise of the future. The collection includes classics like, the three little pigs, Goldilocks and the three bears, and Pinocchio.
Review: This was a masterfully done piece, the short stories were engaging and beautifully illustrated. I loved that they were all set in a futuristic world; it was a very interesting take on each of the tales. In between each there were even pieces of art depicting some of the
Tintaglia
Per riassumere:
Idea: 10
Realizzazione: 10
Tavole: 10
Illustrazioni fuori testo: 10

Il rischio, quando nei fumetti si decide di affrontare dei retelling delle fiabe, è di richiamare troppo Fables: un rischio che in questo meraviglioso volume è stato evitato.
Non mi si fraintenda: io adoro Fables, e aspetto ogni volumetto con un'avidità poco encomiabile, ma ancora di più apprezzo la capacità di discostarsi da un modello così di successo: Once upon a time machine ci riesce, con quattrocento pagine dens
Loki (of Smartassgard)
I love fairy tale retelling, and this one was damn good. A bit sci fi, a bit fantasy, a bit steam punk, a bit manga, there's a part for just about every body in here! The art is phenomenal too, not something I usually say about compilations.

Get it. Read it.
Kelly O'Dowd
Edited 11/25/12: Finished.

There are some stories that left me sobbing, others that were just plain silly. But I wish all of them were longer than the 5-6 pages that they were.

Highly recommend.

Picked this up at New York Comic Con yesterday. The cover alone is beautiful. So far I'm loving it!
Lindsay
NetGalley ARC

Loved the art and the different take on story telling! Not copying Fables like so many others! If you like graphic novels and fairy tales, bookmark this to read later.
David Edmonds
Once Upon a Time Machine is a collection of fairy tales that we're all familiar with, set in time periods that are unfamiliar to these stories. Each of the fairy tales holds true to its origins, but they are retold in a a whole new fashion, with each of the tales taking on a science fiction flare. Told by some of the new, up and coming writers and illustrators in the comics business, these fairy tales are both familiar and fresh at the same time.

I wouldn't recommend reading them all at once. Tak
Bookworm1858
The blurb promised a collection of 24 tales twisting and playing with beloved fairy tales. However I did not realize that it would actually be retellings of familiar stories. I just thought they would be fantastical and fairy-tale-esque. But no, I recognized most of the stories, which allowed me to seat back and enjoy the beautiful drawings and the science-fiction twists placed on most of them.

I'm not going to cover every story as that would take a really long time but I do have four that really
Aparajitabasu
Another marvelous form of back to basics fairytales with a twist - marvelous indeed. Presenting Once Upon A Time Machine by Lee Nordling, Jason Rodriguez, and Tara Alexander.

Here is the summary of the book:

Fairy tales have fueled our dreams and fired our imaginations for centuries. Step inside a time machine built by a collection of today’s finest storytellers, and enter a range of futures where familiar tales are reimagined in an astonishing variety of styles. Editors Andrew Carl and Chris Ste
Random Jordan
If you haven’t gotten an ear-full from me yet about faerie tales, you are in luck! I found the perfect thing to spread my wonderful love of faerie tales and folktales far and wide. It’s no surprise that Dark Horse Comics are the publishers for it either. I’m talking about the soon to be released in October this year, Once Upon a Time Machine. They didn’t just do a retelling of folktales, they took folktales and threw them into the future with such rich degree and imagination devoted to it. They ...more
Yzabel Ginsberg
(A long-due review, considering I got an ebook copy through NetGalley over one year ago, but got sidetracked and forgot about reading it before it was archived there. Well, I can still give my opinion, though.)

This comic-book/graphic novel is about retellings with a sci-fi/futuristic twist—fairy tales and heroic deeds, but not only European ones: it also contains it shares of stories inspired by Asian folklore. As with every anthology-type book, quality varies, some stories being really good, an
Justyn Rampa
Absolutely AMAZING!!!! I do not want to go into great depth in this review in that a large part of the joy in experiencing this wonderful compilation is going into each story fresh. Dark Horse Publishing is to be commended for putting together such a fantastically imaginative compilation of sci-fi reinterpretations of fairy tales and in some cases, classic literature.

Some of the stories take on a surprisingly profound meaning as well. Everything about this read was unexpected and utterly deligh
Sara Thompson
If you like graphic novels or science fiction then you should give this book a try. The concept is fun and the execution offers something for everyone. Once Upon a Time Machine is a series of fairy tale type stories that have been reworked into a future setting. Each story is written and drawn by different authors and artists so if you don't like one style then you can pass onto something more suited to you.
I enjoyed this. I liked the changes to many of the stories. I, also, discovered stories t
Jeffrey
MITNG reviews Once Upon A Time Machine
Callie Rose Tyler
I was super excited to read this and maybe I set myself up for failure, but I was somewhat disappointed. First off I made the assumption that time travel would be a factor in at least some of the stories, despite the title, this was not the case.

All of the stories are sci-fi fairy tale re-tellings some of which I was familiar with others which I had never heard of, but I think this added to the diversity. The art and story telling were different for each story but the futuristic element stayed t
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I think I'm going to let this one sit a bit and then consider maybe changing my ranking from a 4 to a 5. First off, it has some of the best art I've seen in a graphic novel. It has the same great variety as Trickster and Explorer: The Mystery Boxes but some of the individual pieces in this are much more sophisticated. I especially like the pieces that use what appears to be watercolor, although many of the more traditional ones have a nice balance of simplicity and detail, something which I find ...more
Emlen
[I have a bit of a personal connection to this book, so might be biased. Nevertheless...]

Really delightful collection of comic-book versions of fairy tales -- or rather, more generally, beloved children's stories, including things like Peter Pan and The Three Musketeers -- retold in sci-fi settings. All the stories are by different authors and artists, and there don't seem to have been any real rules about how they had to treat the source material, which allows for a lot of variety in style and
Lissibith
Fairy tales updated with a sci-fi twist? I was sold on this premise so hard I didn't even finish reading the description before I put in an order for it. And I'm glad I got it, but the quality of this book is highly uneven, and I think a lot of the enjoyment will be out of what presses your artistic and storytelling buttons over what's just flat-out good. there's a lot to enjoy here, but you have to have certain tolerances for other stories.

Reviews of each story under the spoiler tag for... well
Jessica
Appeal Characteristics: STYLISTIC ART, fractured fairy tales, science fiction, fantasy, stories, morals

This should be the new Flight Anthologies for Fairy-Tales/Folklore. I mean it's one thing to see a beautiful cover art for beauty and the beast, but it's another thing to read about a crazy updated version of the John Henry story (AND I LOOOOVE JOHN HENRY)and a creepy Humpty Dumpty one. I like the brief bio of all the illustrators and writers who contributed to this massive volume. I hope that
GRPLTeens Grand Rapids Public Library

Hollowspine
A variety of graphic stories linked by their re-interpretation of various fables, myths and fairy tales. There are twists on Hansel and Gretel involving giant insects, Humpty Dumpty finally finding his identity (leaving another broken in his place) and John Henry as a mech pilot just to name a few of the numerous and various stories in the anthology.

I enjoyed the varied, often eye-catching, artwork, as well as the different takes on the familiar stories. Some were easily recognized, and others w
Kristen
Theme: I have loved fairy tales since I was child and experiencing them in graphic novel format is always a thrill. Adding a twist of science fiction into this beautiful graphic novel only made it more appealing for me. The elements of science fiction change the stories in a way that was quite captivating. I especially loved the one of Pinocchio (The Stars Are Not Wanted Now) who was a machine made to tell the truth, but started to lie because he found it was too hard to tell the truth.

Stories:
Meredith
Apr 07, 2014 Meredith rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: gn
Tales re-told. Like most comic anthologies, I responded better to some of the selections than others - it's a mixed bag, depending on whether you like the style of the artist and/or writer. But it is always a fun conceit - taking fairy tales and putting them into different contexts - like The Future - like, The Future With Robots and Stuff. Lots of super-short selections means it's easy to pick up and put down, dip into, & find something good.
Dolores
A very different way of re-imagining fairy tales. These aren't just fractured tales; this is Pinocchio as AI, and a very alien take on Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Very creative in both art and story. Some stories are amazing, some not so much but the overall book is very impressive.
  • Fairy Tale Comics: Classic Tales Told by Extraordinary Cartoonists
  • Sharaz-De
  • Personal Demons (Hopeless, Maine, #1)
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • Delphine
  • Fables, Vol. 20: Camelot
  • The Silver Six
  • The Storyteller
  • Monster on the Hill
  • The Fairies Return, or New Tales for Old
  • Nailbiter Volume 1: There Will Be Blood
  • Grandville Bête Noire (Grandville #3)
  • Twice Upon a Time
  • A Flight of Angels
  • Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 1
  • Hilda and the Midnight Giant
  • The New Deadwardians
  • Moscow But Dreaming
Andrew Carl is an editor and writer based in San Francisco, and co-founder of Locust Moon Press.
More about Andrew Carl...
Quarter Moon: Silence (Quarter Moon, #1) Quarter Moon: Locust Man vs. Monster (Quarter Moon, #2) Little Nemo: Dream Another Dream Quarter Moon: Waters (Quarter Moon, #4) Quarter Moon: The End of the Night (Quarter Moon, #3)