Taking Chances (Taking Chances, #1)

Taking Chances (Taking Chances #1)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  31,946 ratings  ·  4,466 reviews
Her first year away is turning out to be nearly perfect, but one weekend of giving in to heated passion will change everything.

Eighteen-year-old Harper has grown up under the thumb of her career marine father. Ready to live life her own way and to experience things she's only ever heard of from the jarheads in her father's unit, she's on her way to college at San Diego Sta...more
Published October 16th 2012 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Taking Chances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking Chances

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHopeless by Colleen HooverEffortless by S.C. StephensThoughtless by S.C. Stephens
Best Book Boyfriends
40th out of 4,497 books — 17,602 voters
Taking Chances by Molly McAdamsFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. StephensBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Books that seriously piss you off
1st out of 520 books — 929 voters

More lists with this book...

Oceana Fern
This review contains unmarked spoilers.

| vlog review |

(I look like a ten year old in it, oh my god this vlog is so old)

I have never - never - been more enraged in a book.

I didn't finish reading it. I quit at about sixty percent and skimmed the rest. I couldn't bear to do it. I'm not brave enough. The book outraged me. You're going to be hearing a lot of these words, so prepare yourself.

Synopsis

TAKING CHANCES is incredibly cliché and must've been done a billion times before. A lot of 'New Adult'...more
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
Non spoiler review – Spoiler review at the very bottom, but you will have enough time NOT to read it.

TEAM CHASE!!!!

I finished this book 8 hours ago and I was hoping once I had a few hours to think about the events that happened, I would have a different opinion. Well, 8 hours later and I still feel the same. When I started Taking Chances, I was really looking forward to it and you know what, it was so damn good too. Within 4% of reading, I was hooked. It had similarities to Beautiful Disaster b...more
Taryn at My Secret Romance
This review was posted at My Secret Romance

I'm an emotional wreck right now. I think I'm going to need therapy after reading this book. I am devastated and distraught with too many emotions that I can hardly think straight.

I don't even know where to begin. This book was a bittersweet find for me. It has everything I love in my angsty reads- and the one thing I hate.

Raised by her strict Military single father, Harper grew up around jar heads her entire life. She doesn't have a normal relationsh...more
Dianne

Photobucket

I'm not in the mood for an in depth review right now. I'm so devastated. My heart is crushed to its core. A beautiful story and a lovely ending but I can't seem to accept the bittersweet truth of it all.
Because I was shocked... utterly shocked! The twist is an uber blow, I swear I didn't see it coming.

So allow me to show you how I felt..

I was like this...

crying zoey Pictures, Images and Photos
And this..

Then this...

Crying Gif. Pictures, Images and Photos

I'm glad Brandon and Harper have their happy ending... But is it so wrong to wish one for Chase?

I'm sorry but all I...more
Tough Critic Book Reviews
This book should come with a warning label...

I'm scared of bananas. True story. I'm absolutely terrified of a yellow fruit shaped like a penis...I feel sorry for inanimate objects. I once bought the ugliest bird shaped candle just because I was afraid nobody else would. I named him Herbert...I think that every time someone renews their driver's license they should be required to take a test on the rules of a four-way stop...I've never kissed a girl and I'm pretty sure I'm the only human being wi...more
Marie
I tried guys, I tried. For those people who have messaged me and told me to not be so critical when I haven't finished the book. Well I tried. AGAIN. FOR YOU.
And AGAIN, I JUST COULDN'T.
There's just so many things wrong with this book. Even if I read it to the very end I can most assure you Taking Chances lovers that my views will never change. I ask that you respect my views and if you do not well.... write your own review.. simple.

description

I COULDN'T FINISH THIS.
IT WAS TOO HEARTBREAKING, I CHOKED U...more
Erin
Let me see if I can scrape together the pieces that are left of my shattered heart and try to come up with a way to review this book. I debated for a few days whether or not I wanted to bother, but I decided to go ahead for one reason, and that is to give the character I fell head-over-heels for the attention and remembrance that he didn't get in this story.

I freely admit that I'm an emotional reader. I read as an escape, to immerse myself in the thrills, suspense, romance, and beautiful writin...more
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
Oh boy! I think I found my new favorite book :')
It was just.. I don't have words at the moment.

It was so much like Beautiful Disasters, Thoughtless and Vampire Diaries(the show, without the fiction) and yet so much more ❤

A total emotional roller coaster, I cried, I laughed, I blushed, I was shocked, I fell in love with two wonderful guys tonight! Stayed up the whole night to finish the book, reach the end and damn was it worth loosing sleep over.

The twist which is comes around 50% through the b...more
Nora
I'm blown away reading these reviews. I'm sorry, but am I the ONLY one who found this book painfully predictable and poorly written? Am I the only one who saw the picture-perfect characters and situations completely unrealistic? I may be a happy girl with a happy life, but even I was rolling my eyes SO OFTEN at the cheese factor. Why did I keep reading? Because I never start a book and don't finish, it's just a thing. (Some tiny spoilers in this review but nothing major. Just general ranting).

An...more
Jennifer Kyle
TO: MOLLY MCADAMS--- “FOR THE NEXT FIVE MINUTES, WE ARE NOT FRIENDS."

This book ripped my heart out and left me in mourning. I had to gather the strength to read on and finish. How can it be that the main character is blissfully happy and I am utterly miserable to the very end of this amazing story?

There are three drool worthy guys included in this book, but one of them stole my heart from the very beginning: “Oh My God! Princess! You're my new favorite." I fell completely in love!

I found myself...more
Alexis *RealityBites! Let's Get Lost!*
Spoiler Free Review
3.5 to 4 STARS out of 5
Genre: YA/New Adult-Mature content

Passengers please lower your harness and fasten your seatbelts for safety. This book hits sharp turns has high peaks and fast drops.
**smiles** Please enjoy the ride!

Emotional Roller-Coaster does not even begin to describe this book. My face leaked from every hole it has I'm talkin can't stop cryin nose blowin mouth drooling weeping. YES it is that intense. Don't say I didn't warn you.

'I wanted to have dysfunctional rela...more
Lisa O.
That I subject myself to stuff like this over and over again can only be definitive proof of my masochistic tendencies. I really don't know why I choose these absurd stories, un-freaking-believable, where the characters are clearly made out of cardboard, where the writing is bad, bad, bad and the editing is worse, where there isn't an original idea even if you look for it with a microscope and which are also about 75% too long than needed.
I kid you not, I was at 30% and had the impression that...more
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Revision 10/07/12 because I laughed my ass off that this new book already made it to number 1 on Listopia's Books that seriously piss you off
...and Shark Contemporary week rolls on...

I made it a goal before finishing Taking Chances to remain zen for the writing of this review, knowing full well that the last part of the book might set me on edge. Well guess what? I'm perfectly okay.
Look at me, I'm not raging! It's an early Christmas miracle!

See, the thing is, the part of the book that was su...more
Gitte - TotallyBookedBlog
My thoughts on Taking Chances.....

I felt myself being pulled back and forth between Chase and Brandon, I couldn't decide at first but I decided on Brandon, and I have to say he was my choice throughout. And yes, I know I am in the minority! So Harper's actions peeved me off no end!!!!!

However, my thoughts on that is that here's this girl who has been like a bird locked in her cage throughout her life, starved from love with no Mum and a Dad who she respected but had a pretty cold and no affectio...more
Isamlq
We suspend our disbelief, and not our intelligence in reading. So, know that plenty moments in this had me calling BS (never been to a mall, my patootie.) Frankly, I do see why it's well received by some, what with its tatted-up bad boy, secret fighter good boy, and the girl with zero experience... except, as usual, for me, things got a bit much...

The story's Drama's Progression:
1. Cow eyes from one or two of them directed at her.
2. Love is in the air, and their inner cavemen start coming ou
Sarah ❤️ Literary Hottie
If you had asked me for a star rating at around the 50% mark of this book I would have said 5 big shiny stars because up to this point all I had done since picking up the book was ;

I loved it, I was gripped, I couldn't put it down, I had to force myself to put my ipad down just to carry out basic daily functions....wow what a book.......

But then I readjust passed the 50% mark and a certain event happens and I was like;

And then I carried on reading and I was like;

And then I couldn't help but fe...more
Christine Zolendz
This was the most emotional book I think I have ever read. I hated THAT part. I hate HE was gone. This book stays with you after you're done and you feel all banged up inside. All I've been doing is hugging my husband.
Aestas Book Blog
Sep 09, 2012 Aestas Book Blog marked it as to-read
EEEEEPPPPP!!!!!!!!!! HOLY HELL! I just found out some of the stuff I always need to know before I start a book and I'm pretty sure this book is gonna rip my heart to itty-bitty shreds but I so totally want to read it!! ... will have to save it for when I can lock myself in a room and cry away
KarenH
Being a big fan of Beautiful Disaster and Thoughtless/Effortless, I'm always looking for a book that will give me the same adrenaline rush I felt when I read those. Taking Chances was that book for me. It has the incredibly sexy, tatted, buzzed-head hero who makes a living as an underground fighter like BD and the heart-wrenching love triangle between a sweet girl and two equally awesome frat brothers who are both in love with her like T/E. Can Romancelandia get any better for me? Not likely.

Har...more
Tasnim
Just purchased this for my Kindle from Amazon UK! People are comparing it to Beautiful Disaster which excites me! Can't wait to get stuck in!!

Edit 5/9/12
I think I'm going to put this on hold for now, and I'll tell you why. The first 50% of the book was amazing. I only started it today and I haven't been able to put it down even once, until now. I'll be honest when that predictable event with Trish happened, I was amazed that Harper couldn't see through her. Was it just obvious to everyone else b...more
Natasha is a Book Junkie
When a book decides to tackle such serious topics such as this one, I feel that a review has to reflect that. It would be irresponsible and quite out of character for me to just skim over the massive elephant in the room and focus only on how un-puttable-down this story might have been or how pleasantly angsty some parts of it were. This is a serious book, this is not a book for the light-hearted and this is not an easy read. The best way I can describe the way the events in this book affected m...more
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*

***DNF***

Ok, I have been refraining from rating or reviewing DNF books but I am not going to do it anymore. I have seen some friends complaining about people "attacking" them because they do not rate books the same way and this has to stop guys. We are not robot, we don't like the same books and we need to let other people rate/review books the way they want.

I didn't mark this one as read because I know most of my friends are absolute fans of this book and I deeply respect them so pls, respect m...more
Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus

I’m quite confused on this one…
I just didn’t “see it” as in what was soo freaking good about Harper. She had a smart mouth yes. She was an 18 year old Virgin. Had never been kissed, and hadn’t really LIVED.
She was home schooled her whole life and decided she wanted to go to College away from her overbearing father. She always got along better with boys than girls. Then she goes to College and meets Breanna who immediately becomes her best friend. Bre teaches her well how to be normal.

However...more
Sara
***REVIEW EDIT: 9/17/2012 Contains Spoilers:

This will be the first time I have done this, drop a book rating after I posted my original review. My reason for this; I cannot let this story go and not in a good way at all. I keep thinking about the first half of the book compared to the second half. I LOVED the first half, loved the dynamics between Chase and Harper and even Harper and Brandon. I was prepared for the angst of the story and the emotional ride of what would happen with this love tri...more
Liz

More than 5 Stars

Emotionally beautiful! The main characters, Harper, Chase, and Brandon will never leave you. It’s not your typical Happy Ending, but that is what is magical about this story. You will experience every single emotion to mankind. Trust me, this journey is worth it. There are Heart-Stopping moments, but I promise it will beat again. Molly McAdams breathes life onto the pages that grip you from the beginning to the very last word on the page. I cannot wait for the next book written...more
Bayli
PRICE DROP ALERT: OMGOSH!!!! This book is on sale for 99CENTS!!!!!!!! This is seriously a must buy! I love Molly! And You will fall in love with both Chase and Brandon! GO GO GO GO! January 29, 2013
Somewhere between 4.5 and 5 Stars!

I loved this book soooo much! I'm still an emotional wreck from this book! GAH.

So how was this book for me? Well Let me tell you I did not expect to read what I just read. I wasn't expecting all of the things to happen that did and for my emotions to get such a wor...more
Jacqueline's Reads
Aug 21, 2013 Jacqueline's Reads rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jacqueline's Reads by: Mandee Migliaccio

4 Dramatic Stars

This will be a hard review for me because there are a lot of elements in Taking Chances I have personal issues with. So please note, these are personal issues and this is my personal opinion.

Here we go…

A lot of people recommended Taking Chances to me. However, my girlfriend read it and DNF. I asked her why and she basically told me what happened up until the 50% mark. So I have been putting it off for a very long time. I don’t know why I decided to pick up, maybe because I am a...more
Crysti Perry
Brandie

This book started off strong for me. But what ruined the experience completely was the fact that while reading some reviews on Goodreads - I saw a review where the spoiler wasn't hidden and the big twist in the book was mentioned in THE FIRST LINE. Having seen that - I was prepared and had figured out the twist by the time it happened. Although I was really enjoying the book and sucked into it until that point - once the big event took place, I was quickly bored and had no desire to rea...more
Paula

Harper grew up an only child living with her father who is a Marine. He's a stoic man who never shows his love to his daughter, barely talks to her, and has asked her to call him "Sir." She can't wait to go off to college to live her life. She chooses a college in San Diego, CA where she will be living with Breanna, her dorm roommate and immediate best friend. The very first night, Breanna takes Harper to a party where she meets Chase, Breanna’s brother. Harper is immediately attracted to his su...more
Am I the only one who think that this book is total FUCK UP???????? 30 348 Sep 12, 2014 08:05PM
Chase 136 750 Aug 20, 2014 03:17PM
YA Book Gang!!: Taking Chances by Molly McAdams *Spoilers* start: feb 3rd 32 32 Feb 11, 2014 03:23PM
New Adult Book Club: Taking Chances by Molly McAdams giveaway 1 16 Dec 21, 2013 12:42PM
Holy Crap! 20 102 Sep 29, 2013 12:32PM
Liam 30 246 Sep 29, 2013 01:32AM
Books Like This 6 85 Sep 05, 2013 12:15PM
  • Finding Chase (Chasing Nikki, #2)
  • Avoiding Commitment (Avoiding, #1)
  • Ruining You (Ruining, #2)
  • Metamorphosis (Book Boyfriend, #1)
  • The Perfect Game (The Perfect Game, #1)
  • Arsen: A Broken Love Story
  • Measuring Up
  • Kiss Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #2)
  • Saved (Wanted, #2)
  • Bound Together (Bound Together, #1)
  • Folding Hearts (Mitchell Family, #2)
  • Pieces of You (Shattered Hearts, #2)
  • Unforgivable (Untouchable, #2)
  • While It Lasts (Sea Breeze, #3)
  • Clash (Crash, #2)
  • Up to Me (The Bad Boys, #2)
  • Collision Course
Molly grew up in California but now lives in the oh-so-amazing state of Texas with her husband and furry four-legged daughters. When she's not diving into the world of her characters, some of her hobbies include hiking, snowboarding, traveling, and long walks on the beach … which roughly translates to being a homebody with her hubby and dishing out movie quotes. She has a weakness for crude-humore...more
More about Molly McAdams...
From Ashes (From Ashes, #1) Stealing Harper (Taking Chances, #1.5) Forgiving Lies (Forgiving Lies, #1) Deceiving Lies (Forgiving Lies, #2) Needing Her (From Ashes, #1.5)

“That first night, I did realize I would never meet another girl like you. But you deserve someone who has waited for you as long as you have waited for them. And no matter how much I wish I could be that guy, I can't Harper.” 220 likes
“And he loved you and your mom, so much. I’ll always remind you of that, but I wish you could have met him.” -Brandon” 195 likes