Start by marking “Taking Chances (Taking Chances, #1)” as Want to Read:
Taking Chances (Taking Chances, #1)

Taking Chances (Taking Chances #1)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  39,814 Ratings  ·  5,097 Reviews
Her first year away is turning out to be nearly perfect, but one weekend of giving in to heated passion will change everything.

Eighteen-year-old Harper has grown up under the thumb of her career marine father. Ready to live life her own way and to experience things she's only ever heard of from the jarheads in her father's unit, she's on her way to college at San Diego Sta
Published October 16th 2012 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Taking Chances, please sign up.

Mona
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Amanda Skinner I am also an emotional person. Sometimes you just need a good cry. I cried for hours but at the end I felt good that I read it. I highly recommend it.…moreI am also an emotional person. Sometimes you just need a good cry. I cried for hours but at the end I felt good that I read it. I highly recommend it.
(less)
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesHopeless by Colleen HooverThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica Roth
Best Book Boyfriends
44th out of 7,077 books — 23,798 voters
Taking Chances by Molly McAdamsFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. StephensBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Books that seriously piss you off
1st out of 634 books — 1,056 voters

More lists with this book...

Ava Oceana
I have never - never - been more enraged in a book.

I didn't finish reading it. I quit at about sixty percent and skimmed the rest. I couldn't bear to do it. I'm not brave enough. The book outraged me. You're going to be hearing a lot of these words, so prepare yourself.

Synopsis

TAKING CHANCES is incredibly cliché and must've been done a billion times before. A lot of 'New Adult' books simply follow the same trend, but the only one I've found worth reading is Easy.

The book follows Harper, an eigh
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
Non spoiler review – Spoiler review at the very bottom, but you will have enough time NOT to read it.

TEAM CHASE!!!!

I finished this book 8 hours ago and I was hoping once I had a few hours to think about the events that happened, I would have a different opinion. Well, 8 hours later and I still feel the same. When I started Taking Chances, I was really looking forward to it and you know what, it was so damn good too. Within 4% of reading, I was hooked. It had similarities to Beautiful Disaster b
Dianne
Taryn at My Secret Romance
This review was posted at My Secret Romance

I'm an emotional wreck right now. I think I'm going to need therapy after reading this book. I am devastated and distraught with too many emotions that I can hardly think straight.

I don't even know where to begin. This book was a bittersweet find for me. It has everything I love in my angsty reads- and the one thing I hate.

Raised by her strict Military single father, Harper grew up around jar heads her entire life. She doesn't have a normal relationsh
Tough Critic Book Reviews
Sep 16, 2012 Tough Critic Book Reviews rated it really liked it
This book should come with a warning label...

I'm scared of bananas. True story. I'm absolutely terrified of a yellow fruit shaped like a penis...I feel sorry for inanimate objects. I once bought the ugliest bird shaped candle just because I was afraid nobody else would. I named him Herbert...I think that every time someone renews their driver's license they should be required to take a test on the rules of a four-way stop...I've never kissed a girl and I'm pretty sure I'm the only human being wi
Marie
Feb 19, 2014 Marie rated it did not like it
I tried guys, I tried. For those people who have messaged me and told me to not be so critical when I haven't finished the book. Well I tried. AGAIN. FOR YOU.
And AGAIN, I JUST COULDN'T.
There's just so many things wrong with this book. Even if I read it to the very end I can most assure you Taking Chances lovers that my views will never change. I ask that you respect my views and if you do not well.... write your own review.. simple.

description

I COULDN'T FINISH THIS.
IT WAS TOO HEARTBREAKING, I CHOKED U
Erin
Sep 28, 2012 Erin rated it did not like it
Let me see if I can scrape together the pieces that are left of my shattered heart and try to come up with a way to review this book. I debated for a few days whether or not I wanted to bother, but I decided to go ahead for one reason, and that is to give the character I fell head-over-heels for the attention and remembrance that he didn't get in this story.

I freely admit that I'm an emotional reader. I read as an escape, to immerse myself in the thrills, suspense, romance, and beautiful writin
Akanksha❤ Søren♰
Oh boy! I think I found my new favorite book :')
It was just.. I don't have words at the moment.

It was so much like Beautiful Disasters, Thoughtless and Vampire Diaries(the show, without the fiction) and yet so much more

A total emotional roller coaster, I cried, I laughed, I blushed, I was shocked, I fell in love with two wonderful guys tonight! Stayed up the whole night to finish the book, reach the end and damn was it worth loosing sleep over.

The twist which is comes around 50% through the bo
Nora
Nov 30, 2012 Nora rated it did not like it
I'm blown away reading these reviews. I'm sorry, but am I the ONLY one who found this book painfully predictable and poorly written? Am I the only one who saw the picture-perfect characters and situations completely unrealistic? I may be a happy girl with a happy life, but even I was rolling my eyes SO OFTEN at the cheese factor. Why did I keep reading? Because I never start a book and don't finish, it's just a thing. (Some tiny spoilers in this review but nothing major. Just general ranting).

An
Jennifer Kyle
Jul 11, 2014 Jennifer Kyle rated it it was amazing
TO: MOLLY MCADAMS--- “FOR THE NEXT FIVE MINUTES, WE ARE NOT FRIENDS."

This book ripped my heart out and left me in mourning. I had to gather the strength to read on and finish. How can it be that the main character is blissfully happy and I am utterly miserable to the very end of this amazing story?

There are three drool worthy guys included in this book, but one of them stole my heart from the very beginning: “Oh My God! Princess! You're my new favorite." I fell completely in love!

I found myself
Angela
Apr 10, 2016 Angela rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star-reads
Alright, *cracks knuckles* let's do this.
Taking Chances was like reading Beautiful Disaster all over again. I was past being annoyed. Every single person and event in this book set me off. This book had me laughing... at it, not with it.

Harper is one of the most throat punching females I've read in the longest. She comes from a very sheltered background. VERY ridiculously sheltered. Girl hasn't even gone to a mall before. Yeah, I don't believe it either. I get that your dad is a strict marine
Alexis *Reality Bites*
Spoiler Free Review
3.5 to 4 STARS out of 5
Genre: YA/New Adult-Mature content

Passengers please lower your harness and fasten your seatbelts for safety. This book hits sharp turns has high peaks and fast drops.
**smiles** Please enjoy the ride!

Emotional Roller-Coaster does not even begin to describe this book. My face leaked from every hole it has I'm talkin can't stop cryin nose blowin mouth drooling weeping. YES it is that intense. Don't say I didn't warn you.

'I wanted to have dysfunctional rela
Limonessa
That I subject myself to stuff like this over and over again can only be definitive proof of my masochistic tendencies. I really don't know why I choose these absurd stories, un-freaking-believable, where the characters are clearly made out of cardboard, where the writing is bad, bad, bad and the editing is worse, where there isn't an original idea even if you look for it with a microscope and which are also about 75% too long than needed.
I kid you not, I was at 30% and had the impression that
Gitte - TotallyBookedBlog
My thoughts on Taking Chances.....

I felt myself being pulled back and forth between Chase and Brandon, I couldn't decide at first but I decided on Brandon, and I have to say he was my choice throughout. And yes, I know I am in the minority! So Harper's actions peeved me off no end!!!!!

However, my thoughts on that is that here's this girl who has been like a bird locked in her cage throughout her life, starved from love with no Mum and a Dad who she respected but had a pretty cold and no affectio
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Revision 10/07/12 because I laughed my ass off that this new book already made it to number 1 on Listopia's Books that seriously piss you off
...and Shark Contemporary week rolls on...

I made it a goal before finishing Taking Chances to remain zen for the writing of this review, knowing full well that the last part of the book might set me on edge. Well guess what? I'm perfectly okay.
Look at me, I'm not raging! It's an early Christmas miracle!

See, the thing is, the part of the book that was
Isamlq
Sep 25, 2012 Isamlq rated it did not like it
We suspend our disbelief, and not our intelligence in reading. So, know that plenty moments in this had me calling BS (never been to a mall, my patootie.) Frankly, I do see why it's well received by some, what with its tatted-up bad boy, secret fighter good boy, and the girl with zero experience... except, as usual, for me, things got a bit much...

The story's Drama's Progression:
1. Cow eyes from one or two of them directed at her.
2. Love is in the air, and their inner cavemen start coming ou
Sarah ❤️ Literary Hottie
Feb 01, 2013 Sarah ❤️ Literary Hottie rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
If you had asked me for a star rating at around the 50% mark of this book I would have said 5 big shiny stars because up to this point all I had done since picking up the book was ;

I loved it, I was gripped, I couldn't put it down, I had to force myself to put my ipad down just to carry out basic daily functions....wow what a book.......

But then I readjust passed the 50% mark and a certain event happens and I was like;

And then I carried on reading and I was like;

And then I couldn't help but fe
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
(THIS CONTAINS HUUUGE SPOILERS)

Okay, this is hard. I usually don’t review books that I have given 1 star but on this one, I’m willing to make an exception.

First, I have nothing against the Author. All the reasons I have given this book a 1 star is really just because of the book. Second, It’s not because of the writing. I honestly think it’s okay-written so yeah.. It’s all because of the PLOT!

I have never – EVER – been so disappointed on a book before! SOMEBODY GIVE ME A TROPHY FOR PUNISHING MYS
Christine Zolendz
Sep 11, 2012 Christine Zolendz rated it it was amazing
This was the most emotional book I think I have ever read. I hated THAT part. I hate HE was gone. This book stays with you after you're done and you feel all banged up inside. All I've been doing is hugging my husband.
Aestas Book Blog
Sep 09, 2012 Aestas Book Blog marked it as to-read
EEEEEPPPPP!!!!!!!!!! HOLY HELL! I just found out some of the stuff I always need to know before I start a book and I'm pretty sure this book is gonna rip my heart to itty-bitty shreds but I so totally want to read it!! ... will have to save it for when I can lock myself in a room and cry away
Natasha is a Book Junkie
When a book decides to tackle such serious topics such as this one, I feel that a review has to reflect that. It would be irresponsible and quite out of character for me to just skim over the massive elephant in the room and focus only on how un-puttable-down this story might have been or how pleasantly angsty some parts of it were. This is a serious book, this is not a book for the light-hearted and this is not an easy read. The best way I can describe the way the events in this book affected m ...more
KarenH
Being a big fan of Beautiful Disaster and Thoughtless/Effortless, I'm always looking for a book that will give me the same adrenaline rush I felt when I read those. Taking Chances was that book for me. It has the incredibly sexy, tatted, buzzed-head hero who makes a living as an underground fighter like BD and the heart-wrenching love triangle between a sweet girl and two equally awesome frat brothers who are both in love with her like T/E. Can Romancelandia get any better for me? Not likely.

Har
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*

***DNF***

Ok, I have been refraining from rating or reviewing DNF books but I am not going to do it anymore. I have seen some friends complaining about people "attacking" them because they do not rate books the same way and this has to stop guys. We are not robot, we don't like the same books and we need to let other people rate/review books the way they want.

I didn't mark this one as read because I know most of my friends are absolute fans of this book and I deeply respect them so pls, respect m
Taz-xo
Just purchased this for my Kindle from Amazon UK! People are comparing it to Beautiful Disaster which excites me! Can't wait to get stuck in!!

Edit 5/9/12
I think I'm going to put this on hold for now, and I'll tell you why. The first 50% of the book was amazing. I only started it today and I haven't been able to put it down even once, until now. I'll be honest when that predictable event with Trish happened, I was amazed that Harper couldn't see through her. Was it just obvious to everyone else b
Jacqueline's Reads
Aug 21, 2013 Jacqueline's Reads rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jacqueline's Reads by: Mandee Migliaccio

4 Dramatic Stars

This will be a hard review for me because there are a lot of elements in Taking Chances I have personal issues with. So please note, these are personal issues and this is my personal opinion.

Here we go…

A lot of people recommended Taking Chances to me. However, my girlfriend read it and DNF. I asked her why and she basically told me what happened up until the 50% mark. So I have been putting it off for a very long time. I don’t know why I decided to pick up, maybe because I am a
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
I am so conflicted about this book. I've spent the last couple of days trying to work out how I felt.

The reason I'm conflicted is because even though I didn't love this book, I also couldn't put this it down and just HAD to keep reading.

I figure there must have been something about it that made me continue because the heroine Harper drove me crazy. So much so that any emotion I should have felt was squelched by my dislike for her because, quite frankly, she annoyed the hell out of me.

I really di
Kellie Maddox-Ward
Feb 20, 2014 Kellie Maddox-Ward rated it really liked it
Shelves: college-romance

I’m quite confused on this one…
I just didn’t “see it” as in what was soo freaking good about Harper. She had a smart mouth yes. She was an 18 year old Virgin. Had never been kissed, and hadn’t really LIVED.
She was home schooled her whole life and decided she wanted to go to College away from her overbearing father. She always got along better with boys than girls. Then she goes to College and meets Breanna who immediately becomes her best friend. Bre teaches her well how to be normal.

However
ELIZABETH
Sep 11, 2012 ELIZABETH rated it it was amazing

More than 5 Stars

Emotionally beautiful! The main characters, Harper, Chase, and Brandon will never leave you. It’s not your typical Happy Ending, but that is what is magical about this story. You will experience every single emotion to mankind. Trust me, this journey is worth it. There are Heart-Stopping moments, but I promise it will beat again. Molly McAdams breathes life onto the pages that grip you from the beginning to the very last word on the page. I cannot wait for the next book written
Bayli
PRICE DROP ALERT: OMGOSH!!!! This book is on sale for 99CENTS!!!!!!!! This is seriously a must buy! I love Molly! And You will fall in love with both Chase and Brandon! GO GO GO GO! January 29, 2013
Somewhere between 4.5 and 5 Stars!

I loved this book soooo much! I'm still an emotional wreck from this book! GAH.

So how was this book for me? Well Let me tell you I did not expect to read what I just read. I wasn't expecting all of the things to happen that did and for my emotions to get such a wo
Sara
***REVIEW EDIT: 9/17/2012 Contains Spoilers:

This will be the first time I have done this, drop a book rating after I posted my original review. My reason for this; I cannot let this story go and not in a good way at all. I keep thinking about the first half of the book compared to the second half. I LOVED the first half, loved the dynamics between Chase and Harper and even Harper and Brandon. I was prepared for the angst of the story and the emotional ride of what would happen with this love tri
i need to know! i don't care about spoilers 33 163 Feb 19, 2015 06:05AM
Am I the only one who think that this book is total FUCK UP???????? 34 448 Feb 09, 2015 06:58PM
Chase 138 792 Feb 01, 2015 12:39PM
need knew book 4 30 Nov 03, 2014 04:31AM
YA Book Gang!!: Taking Chances by Molly McAdams *Spoilers* start: feb 3rd 32 35 Feb 11, 2014 03:23PM
Holy Crap! 20 108 Sep 29, 2013 12:32PM
Liam 28 259 Sep 29, 2013 01:32AM
  • Metamorphosis (Book Boyfriend, #1)
  • Ruining Me (Ruining, #1)
  • Chasing Nikki (Chasing Nikki, #1)
  • Avoiding Commitment (Avoiding, #1)
  • Bound Together (Bound Together, #1)
  • Risking Fate (Mitchell Family, #4)
  • Date Me (The Keatyn Chronicles, #3)
  • Unforgivable (Untouchable, #2)
  • Vicious Circles (Wrong Reasons, #2)
  • The Note
  • Just Remember to Breathe (Thompson Sisters, #3)
  • The Perfect Game (The Perfect Game, #1)
  • The Upside of Letting Go
  • Charade (Games, #1)
  • Saved (Wanted, #2)
  • Butterfly Weeds (Butterfly Weeds, #1)
Molly grew up in California but now lives in the oh-so-amazing state of Texas with her husband, daughter, and fur babies. When she's not diving into the world of her characters, some of her hobbies include hiking, snowboarding, traveling, and long walks on the beach … which roughly translates to being a homebody with her hubby and dishing out movie quotes. She has a weakness for crude-humored movi ...more
More about Molly McAdams...

Taking Chances (3 books)
  • Stealing Harper (Taking Chances, #1.5)
  • Trusting Liam (Taking Chances, #2)

“That first night, I did realize I would never meet another girl like you. But you deserve someone who has waited for you as long as you have waited for them. And no matter how much I wish I could be that guy, I can't Harper.” 233 likes
“And he loved you and your mom, so much. I’ll always remind you of that, but I wish you could have met him.” -Brandon” 209 likes