Start by marking “Prison Planet” as Want to Read:
Prison Planet

Prison Planet

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A novella of the world in 2042.
20,000 words.

In the near future Jackie and her husband Antone are working hard to move out of the bottom class of society. In an earlier time of history his work as a designer and Jackie's work as a professor of history would have made them middle-class. No longer. Like 99% of the population, they're poor.

Then one day while her husband is at
Published June 16th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Prison Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prison Planet

Billie Sue Mosiman has invented a truly frightening world, a world that started out good, but was insidiously invaded by the power and greed of the rich.

Jackie, her husband Antone, and their children are trying hard to work their way up to middle class. They’re good people, they aren’t out to harm anyone, but the same can’t be said for the Powers-That-Be. With no warning, Jackie and the kids are imprisoned in a concentration camp reminiscent of Auschwitz. Not for being a certain race, not for be
M.L. Roos
In the future, you can be imprisoned for being poor. Meet Jackie and Antone and their two children, living on a ranch in Texas doing what they can to survive. Unfortunately, the powers that be have other plans.

Billie Sue Mosiman has created a bleak society bent on ridding North America of the poor, homeless, petty thieves and the like, a society allowed to decay into a dark void of humanity. Told in such a way, the depth of characters and the feel of love shines through on every page. Reminded m
Reynolds S
A frightening book that illustrates what can happen to a society when the citizens become complacent and are more concerned with what the government owes them. This is a classic case of people losing their freedoms and rights slowly at first followed by a rapid stealing of their remaining freedoms. The main characters leave their country thinking that they will find a better life elsewhere. As they escape, they remember what life was like when they were younger and wonder what happened. This is ...more
Jaime Johnesee
Just when you think Billie Sue Mosiman can't possibly get better, she does. Prison Planet is the first book to move me to tears in a very long time. As a mother I can relate to Jackie, and the hell she is put through. It's not a happy book and if you're looking for a lighthearted read this is not the book you're looking for. However, if you want an amazing and very well written story that will stay with you long after you finish I recommend this book highly.
Halfway through.

This is terribly creepy. My bf and I were just discussing a few days ago about how the middle class will be eradicated, how everyone [except the rich] in America will become slaves and how our money will have no value, and a whole list of "doomsday" situations thanks to the direction politics and humanity is going. And here I am reading this. Will our future be this depressingly bleak?
A very short story but kind of scary in the point that you think that it could maybe happen one day. We don't know what the future holds but this story could say volumes about our government and the directions that it has been going in the last decade or so. Overall, a good story, just be prepared for some sadness!
Ms. Mosiman does it again. Her writing makes the reader think...something I enjoy while reading. This book is too realistic, the reader can relate to it...almost like this is where we (humans) are heading. The world leaders are out of control.
Kat Yares
A future that could very well come to be in our lifetime. Part fiction, part social commentary, Prison Planet will have you turning the pages as fast as you can read. It may also leave you crying at the end.
A dark, and interesting short story that attempts to show how governments might deal with overpopulation in the future, in a global economy gone sour.
Hal Bodner
I really wanted to like this book better than I did as I'm a fan of Billie Sue Mosiman's work, but I found it disappointing. All of the elements of s truly spectacular novel were in place but, somehow, they never quite jelled into a coherent whole for me. It's almost as if the book was published as a promising first draft.

Without getting into details, the book tells the story of one American family's escape and flight into Central and South America in an effort to escape the horrors of a futuri
This was a pretty crummy book all around. Honestly, I don't even know where I got it, but it was on my Kindle and I was looking for a shorter sci-fi story to read in-between longer stories, so I gave it a shot. The writing was pretty bad over all, full of butchered cliches. One of the worst I've ever read and that I still remember now weeks later was this one: "you don't bring pipes to a gun war." Not only did it not seem to fit at all with the character who was supposed to say that, but doesn't ...more
Colleen Lahey
Well written. A futurist story that is truly depressing.
Ray Daley
Story is ok enough but the characters and their level of importance seems pretty much an after thought, terrible ending which isn't really an ending it more peters off into "I have no idea what to do now" or that's what it seemed like the writer thought.

The prison stuff was good, the sickness was ok, the initially escaping was alright but it got kind of old real fast.

I didn't feel like I cared about any of the characters at all and it looks like the author felt the same way.
Harule Stokes
Although I enjoyed the characters somewhat, the writing seems a bit disjointed and rushed. The story itself was pretty unbelievable and the random elements tossed in weren't anchored by anything to give them value. There's a part about butterflies that seems to be important, but went nowhere and thus lost it's value.
John Koch
Good premise for a story, but it went too fast between scenes. It seemed as if every time the characters arrived somewhere they were always leaving for no other reason than a perceived fear of the boogyman.
This was a very quick read, but not one to really read before bed. It had an intriguing premise, but the characters and the struggle could been expanded by a great deal. I felt like this was a teaser.
Vincent Hobbes
As is all her work, Prison Planet is pure art. Loved reading it, love her style....will forever be a fan of her work.
Wordsl Dreamsl
Wordsl Dreamsl marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Barbara Chandler
Barbara Chandler marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Jacqueline Jurchenko
Jacqueline Jurchenko marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Paul marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Grace marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Edgar Award Nominee for Best Novel
Stoker Award Nominee for Superior Novel

Novelist, short story writer, columnist, writing instructor, editor.
My published novels are now available at, along with new short story anthologies and novellas.
More about Billie Sue Mosiman...
Carnival Freak Wireman Red Moon Rising: A Vampire Novel (The Vampire Nations #1) Bad Trip South (Five Star First Edition Mystery) Banished