Pilgrimage

Pilgrimage

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  8 reviews
At forty-nine, Celeste has long renounced the religion of her childhood. Yet she finds herself reluctantly accompanying her mother and sister to a pilgrimage site in Romania, where her devout mother seeks a miracle — a cure for her terminal illness.

As Celeste tries to come to terms with her mother's impending decline, she realises she has to confront the unspoken conflicts...more
Published 2012 by Scribe Publications

To ask other readers questions about Pilgrimage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pilgrimage

Sally906
PILGRIMAGE is not just a story of a woman dying of motor neurone disease believing she will be cured if she attends a holy grotto in Romania; it is also a close look at the intricacies of mother-daughter and sister-sister relationships. Celeste is a doctor and she does not share the faith that her mother has about a cure. Celeste is annoyed that her mother refuses to start treatment because the mother is so certain of a cure. Celeste dismisses the idea of travelling half way around the world to...more
Dale Harcombe
Probably three and a half stars. Highly readable and thought provoking read but I just couldn't give it four stars.
This story of a Celeste, a forty nine year old childless woman, whose mother, Patricia, is diagnosed with motor neurone disease, had me interested from the beginning. Her mother is a Catholic with a strong faith while Celeste walked away from all that many years before. The other main character is Nathalie, her half sister who is a number of years younger.
When their mother decides...more
Lisa
Pilgrimage. It seems rather a quaint, old-fashioned sort of word in our mostly secular world, doesn’t it? Over on my travel blog I make jocular references to the pilgrimages The Spouse and I make as tourists: as ArtLovers, LitLovers, MusicLovers and ScienceLovers. We visit the resting place or monuments of our heroes in these categories or we hunt out their places of residence or inspiration, as if by some osmosis we can connect with the genius of these people that we admire long after they are...more
4ZZZ Book Club
Jacinta Halloran's new novel, Pilgrimage, follows the tale of Celeste, a forty-nine year old paediatrician with an avid belief in science and medicine, but little else. When her deeply devout mother is diagnosed with a motor-neuron disease and decides to travel with her daughters to Nicula, a small town in Romania that has become known for miracle healings, she is forced to confront her own life and beliefs.

Sky interviewed Jacinta Halloran for The Book Club on 8 November 2012. Pilgrimage is out...more
Margaret Tranter
An engaging novel, exploring a number of different themes.. religious, family relationship, childlessness, Celeste, tho older, sensible, paediatrician daughter and her more flighty younger sister (Nathalie) agree to accompany their mother on a pilgrimage to Romania after she has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease.
The mother lives in hope, the more pragmatic Celeste finds it hard to be positive and supportive. Celeste has time to reflect and confront her own doubts about her marriage, her...more
Janet
I haven't read a book for a long time that has had me so involved with the characters. The mother/daughter relationships (of both daughters...Celeste and Nathalie)were achingly close to home. It shows that we all have our imperfections and probably we are all in need of counseling at one time or another, but some of us work our own way through life's difficulties. An excellent and thought provoking read.
Merideth Lee
Bitterly disappointed in this novel. Contrived characters and flat writing.
Natalie O'donnell
This book was awful. Talk about labouring a point. Yawn.
Elaine Dumbrell
Elaine Dumbrell marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Meg
Meg added it
Jun 13, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Andrea Gilroy
Andrea Gilroy marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Caris Allen
Caris Allen is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Di
Di added it
Aug 02, 2013
Mollie
Mollie marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2013