Start by marking “Good Luck Life: The Essential Guide to Chinese American Celebrations and Culture” as Want to Read:

Provides a readable introduction to the legends, customs, traditions, festivals, and celebrations of Chinese culture and heritage, complete with trivia, drawings, charts, tables, recipes, and informative sidebars. Original. 20,000 first printing.
Title: Good Luck Life
Author: Gong, Rosemary
Publisher: Harpercollins
Publication Date: 2005/01/01
Number of Pages: 270
Binding Type:
Published January 25th 2005 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Good Luck Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Luck Life

Amy
May 03, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing
Last week Doris and I were discussing Chinese New Year, she asked me
what I do to celebrate. I realized that I don't do much and was
trying to remember how we celebrated growing up. We both remembered a
round translucent pink dish with eight sections that our parents and
Grandma would bring out every New Year, and fill with sweets. Sadly,
we could only remember two of the things in it...lucky candy wrapped
in red and gold, and candied coconut slices. And even sadder, we have
no idea why it was pulled o
Beth Cato
Feb 04, 2016 Beth Cato rated it really liked it
I found this book to be a bright and pleasant introduction or refresher to those seeking insight into Chinese-American cultural celebrations. I could see this book being a fabulous gift for someone who is marrying into a Chinese family, or someone who is Chinese but hasn't been raised along strict traditions or had the rituals explained. Gong plainly states what food is served or not served, what food and flowers and numbers symbolize, the history and mythologies behind rituals, and includes inc ...more
saferia
Jul 02, 2014 saferia rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
One day I was talking with a friend and her mother about family traditions, which launched into a discussion of practices that seemed odd until an older family member explained the reasoning. Her mother recommended that we read, "Good Luck Life" to enhance our knowledge of these practices and beliefs.

I enjoyed the facility of navigating the chapters (New Year, Birthdays, Weddings, Funerals, etc), and how different traditions for the respective events were broken down into sections explaining the
Sivyu
Feb 06, 2015 Sivyu rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006
It was really interesting. I come from a home where we just do things because "that's what old people say" or "It's just done like that", following traditions but without a lot of explanations. She covers major holiday/holy days, weddings, one month ceremonies, funerals, and ect. There are recipes too. It features explanations, etiquette, and history. There are little bubbles where Auntie Lao (Old Auntie) gives her point of view.
Karin
Dec 29, 2014 Karin rated it really liked it
More than an encyclopedia of celebrations, this book is steeped in knowledge from the author's interviews with her elders, filled with practical advice and sprinkled with quotes and sidebars worthy of a book all their own.
Sarah Phoenix
Jan 14, 2009 Sarah Phoenix rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, stored-b5a
China fascinates me to no end and this book is another step in learning more about the people and the culture. It is a little rough in spots, not as engaging as I desired, but still worth reading.
Emma
Oct 28, 2016 Emma rated it really liked it
Good Luck Life: The Essential Guide to Chinese American Celebrations and Culture is an informative work of nonfiction written by Rosemary Gong. Gong is a third generation Chinese American who wanted to know why the Chinese celebrate their holidays they way the do. As Chinese (and adopted) myself I was very interested in this book. For me, this book wasn't boring and I loved it. The only problem I had was, I wish there had been more holidays. "Good Luck Life" is a mini encyclopedia about Chinese ...more
Danielle T
Nov 09, 2015 Danielle T rated it it was amazing
Shelves: asia
Very informative- read my parents' copy, which they got after my grandmother passed and my grandfather had been invited to a wedding shortly after the funeral- we weren't sure if it'd be in poor taste for him to go if it'd spread ill will. Need to get a copy of my own at some point...
Hoan
Jan 03, 2009 Hoan rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy
I think this book really provides a great combination of traditional Chinese values and meshes them with American traditions. I especially love the timeline for weddings, and the explainations of the procedures. Also I think the funeral arrangements were also very knowledgable and helpful!
Chris Doherty
Nov 26, 2009 Chris Doherty rated it really liked it
Shelves: chinese-history
Great book on the culture of Chinese-Americans. Everything you need to know about holidays and traditions. She even gives you recipes to go with the holidays.
Sherry
first read in October 9, 2012 and reading it again now in 8/30/2014 for information for my wedding next year.

great source of information.
Cindy
Jan 25, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I found this book very informative and educational. My parents are not very traditional so it was very interesting learning about my culture and discussing it with my mother.
Denise
Denise rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2009
Andrew Ravin
Andrew Ravin rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2013
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2013
Kevin Way
Kevin Way rated it liked it
May 25, 2014
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2008
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2009
Kauz
Kauz rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Arielle Tuan
Arielle Tuan rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Fred
Fred rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Albert Wong
Albert Wong rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Miriam
Miriam rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Grace Wing-Yuan
Grace Wing-Yuan rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2008
Vincent
Vincent rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2013
Helen
Helen rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2011
Martin Cheung
Martin Cheung rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2012
SquashMaiden
SquashMaiden rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • High on the Hog: A Culinary Journey from Africa to America
  • Twain's Feast: Searching for America's Lost Foods in the Footsteps of Samuel Clemens
  • The Accidental Asian: Notes of a Native Speaker
  • Daughter of Heaven: A Memoir with Earthly Recipes
  • A Hedonist in the Cellar: Adventures in Wine
  • The Taste of Conquest: The Rise and Fall of the Three Great Cities of Spice
  • American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza
  • Culinary Tea: More Than 150 Recipes Steeped in Tradition from Around the World