Start by marking “Good Luck Life: The Essential Guide to Chinese American Celebrations and Culture” as Want to Read:

Good Luck Life is the first book to explain the meanings of Chinese rituals and to offer advice on when and how to plan for Chinese holidays and special occasions such as Chinese weddings, the Red Egg and Ginger party to welcome a new baby, significant birthdays, and the inevitable funeral. Packed with practical information, Good Luck Life contains an abundance of facts, l ...more
Published January 25th 2005 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Good Luck Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Luck Life

Beth Cato
Feb 04, 2016 Beth Cato rated it really liked it
I found this book to be a bright and pleasant introduction or refresher to those seeking insight into Chinese-American cultural celebrations. I could see this book being a fabulous gift for someone who is marrying into a Chinese family, or someone who is Chinese but hasn't been raised along strict traditions or had the rituals explained. Gong plainly states what food is served or not served, what food and flowers and numbers symbolize, the history and mythologies behind rituals, and includes inc ...more
Amy
May 03, 2009 Amy rated it it was amazing
Last week Doris and I were discussing Chinese New Year, she asked me
what I do to celebrate. I realized that I don't do much and was
trying to remember how we celebrated growing up. We both remembered a
round translucent pink dish with eight sections that our parents and
Grandma would bring out every New Year, and fill with sweets. Sadly,
we could only remember two of the things in it...lucky candy wrapped
in red and gold, and candied coconut slices. And even sadder, we have
no idea why it was pulled o
Karin
Dec 29, 2014 Karin rated it really liked it
More than an encyclopedia of celebrations, this book is steeped in knowledge from the author's interviews with her elders, filled with practical advice and sprinkled with quotes and sidebars worthy of a book all their own.
saferia
Jul 02, 2014 saferia rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
One day I was talking with a friend and her mother about family traditions, which launched into a discussion of practices that seemed odd until an older family member explained the reasoning. Her mother recommended that we read, "Good Luck Life" to enhance our knowledge of these practices and beliefs.

I enjoyed the facility of navigating the chapters (New Year, Birthdays, Weddings, Funerals, etc), and how different traditions for the respective events were broken down into sections explaining the
Sivyu
Feb 06, 2015 Sivyu rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006
It was really interesting. I come from a home where we just do things because "that's what old people say" or "It's just done like that", following traditions but without a lot of explanations. She covers major holiday/holy days, weddings, one month ceremonies, funerals, and ect. There are recipes too. It features explanations, etiquette, and history. There are little bubbles where Auntie Lao (Old Auntie) gives her point of view.
Sarah Phoenix
Jan 14, 2009 Sarah Phoenix rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, stored-b5a
China fascinates me to no end and this book is another step in learning more about the people and the culture. It is a little rough in spots, not as engaging as I desired, but still worth reading.
Danielle T
Nov 09, 2015 Danielle T rated it it was amazing
Shelves: asia
Very informative- read my parents' copy, which they got after my grandmother passed and my grandfather had been invited to a wedding shortly after the funeral- we weren't sure if it'd be in poor taste for him to go if it'd spread ill will. Need to get a copy of my own at some point...
Hoan
Jan 03, 2009 Hoan rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy
I think this book really provides a great combination of traditional Chinese values and meshes them with American traditions. I especially love the timeline for weddings, and the explainations of the procedures. Also I think the funeral arrangements were also very knowledgable and helpful!
Cindy
Jan 25, 2012 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I found this book very informative and educational. My parents are not very traditional so it was very interesting learning about my culture and discussing it with my mother.
Chris Doherty
Nov 26, 2009 Chris Doherty rated it really liked it
Shelves: chinese-history
Great book on the culture of Chinese-Americans. Everything you need to know about holidays and traditions. She even gives you recipes to go with the holidays.
Sherry
first read in October 9, 2012 and reading it again now in 8/30/2014 for information for my wedding next year.

great source of information.
Angie
Jul 14, 2008 Angie rated it really liked it
very interesting, really enjoyed it
amy
Apr 11, 2007 amy rated it really liked it
A good reference book!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Sara Farmer
Sara Farmer rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Aurora
Aurora marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
M Margaret Tanaka
M Margaret Tanaka marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Lynn Fero
Lynn Fero marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Samantha Pepe
Samantha Pepe marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Hester
Hester marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Michael Berger
Michael Berger marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Maria
Maria added it
Jun 02, 2016
Herge
Herge marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
SquashMaiden
SquashMaiden rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
AndrewVC
AndrewVC rated it really liked it
May 20, 2016
Shay
Shay marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Jonathan Warshay
Jonathan Warshay marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
  • High on the Hog: A Culinary Journey from Africa to America
  • Twain's Feast: Searching for America's Lost Foods in the Footsteps of Samuel Clemens
  • The Accidental Asian: Notes of a Native Speaker
  • Daughter of Heaven: A Memoir with Earthly Recipes
  • A Hedonist in the Cellar: Adventures in Wine
  • The Taste of Conquest: The Rise and Fall of the Three Great Cities of Spice
  • American Pie: My Search for the Perfect Pizza
  • Culinary Tea: More Than 150 Recipes Steeped in Tradition from Around the World