Start by marking “The Bard's Daughter (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
The Bard's Daughter (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries)

The Bard's Daughter (Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries 0.5)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  328 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The Bard’s Daughter is a 22,000 word prequel novella to the Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries:

As a bard’s daughter, Gwen has spent her life traveling from castle to castle and village to village with her family, following the music. In the winter of 1141, Gwen’s family is contracted to provide the entertainment for the coming-of-age celebration of a lord's son. But befo
Published June 18th 2012 by The Morgan-Stanwood Publishing Group (first published June 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Bard's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bard's Daughter

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim EdwardsThe Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy TanThe Kitchen God's Wife by Amy TanThe French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles
The Female Relative Phenomenon
95th out of 192 books — 90 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakA Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba BrayNumber the Stars by Lois LowryThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Teen Historical Fiction
398th out of 873 books — 2,253 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikitah
Sarah did a great job with this short story, creating just the right amount of confusion to keep you guessing who the killer is until the very end. In a time when technological advancements such as finger-printing and DNA analasys are non-existant, there were still ways to catch a crook! You just had to be creative... like Gwen, the heroine.
Madeline Sloane
I like Woodbury stories, especially since they give me a glimpse of historic Wales. Not a lot of writers focus on this tiny country. If I recall correctly, she's an anthropologist, which lends credibility to her historic research. She does her homework, so reading her stories is not only entertaining, it's educational.
Duckpondwithoutducks
Being just a short prequel to the Gareth and Gwen mystery series, the mystery isn't too involved, and the depth of historical detail is not great, but I will have to read the next book in the series, and see how it turns out!
A.L. Butcher
This was fairly short - a teaser for the later novels I believe but was still enjoyable in its own right. Set in Medieval Wales it follows Gwen - the titular character who must save her father from a charge of murder. Some of the laws and traditions of Wales and the Norman lords appear, albeit with not a great deal of detail but it is a short book. The author covers a little more in an interesting appendix.

The character of Gwen is interesting, for although Wales had more equality for women at t
Aoife
The great shelf of 'meh'. Neither very good nor very bad. The stoy simply wasn't original. Gwen is forced to investigate a murder because her father is a suspect and nobody else seems to be interested in finding any evidence to prove his innocence. One wonders why :O! From then on it's a pretty standard crime-story about uncovering secrets and discovering surprising connections. They don't invent the wheel again but I do prefer that (because authors who try to fail in 99.7% of all cases), the en ...more
Frenchie
I love medieval mysteries. I have thoroughly enjoyed the Bard's daughter. It is well written and easy to read. Perhaps too easy, it is true and the story could have done with a little more depth as this is supposed to be a prequel to the Gareth and Gwen Mysteries. I did not feel it was a prequel at all because the author gave only background information for the characters as if the reader already knew them. For me, the prequel would have been a much longer book and not necessarily set as a myste ...more
Tom
There's not much to say here except this book was perfectly adequate. I got it as a free Kindle ebook and finished it in about a day. It wasn't overly long. There was a murder mystery, it got solved, the villains were punished and the innocent redeemed. That's about all there is to it. Nothing really struck me as being particularly good or bad, and there isn't enough here for me to recommend it one way or the other.

One thing I will say, though, is for a "Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mystery," Gareth
C.M. Huddleston
This is a novella as a prequel to the first book The Good Knights. It is fairly good at explaining some of the back story from the first novel but not necessary for understanding the novels that follow. I do enjoy reading this author.
May
A Solid read

I enjoy mysteries more than anything but I somehow wish this one was a little longer and I know it felt rushed because it was such a short book but I feel like it could have been stretched out to a great degree.
Valerie Antijunti
A strong female character, even by today's standards.

What's not to like and admire about Gwen. Well written and it sets a good pace. You feel like you are working right along with her.
Alison Dellit
This was the first of Woodbury's book I had read, and is a pretty accurate introduction to the tone and structure of the series, whose big strength is in invoking Welsh court life in the medieval period.
Meg
Dec 24, 2014 Meg rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I liked the progression of the mystery as well as the seemingly effortless way the characters not only came to life, but seemed to have lived before I found their story. A very good, quick, short read.
Beth
I enjoyed this little free novella, which I understand is a prequel to a series. Guess I'll need to check out the series.
DH Hanni
2.5 stars. Just really meh for me. Honestly if it weren't for the names and some vague references to the story taking place in a castle then I wouldn't have known this was a historical fiction mystery. Not a lot of description to really pull the reader into a different time period. Unless one is somewhat familiar with medieval Welsh history then you really won't be able to imagine the world the book is set in. It lacks a lot of tension is a quick read and predictable.

Despite the story just bein
Trice
interesting to get into traditional Welsh law a bit, in addition to a glimpse into a bard's life.
Lisa  Marie
This is the second series by Woodbury that I have read. The first series I read was WAY better, but this one has been good too. It just is not nearly as in-depth as the first series was though (and no element of time travel, which is another huge score for the first series I read). This is more of a "murder mystery" type book, still set in Wales and in the 12th century. I am half way through the second book, which is similar to the first. I wish it were more into the character's lives than solvi ...more
Cindy
Nice mystery stories set in medieval Wales.
Kimberly
This book did not inspire me to continue reading this author. I found it slow. And this was a short story.
Wendy Hughes
I think I'd rather read a mystery with characters names I can pronounce.
Trudy
The Bard's Daughter is a short prequel for a Medieval Mystery series that sounded promising. Unfortunately, the writing is so-so. Also, because the story is set in Wales, the character and place names are quite difficult to read: Meilyr ap Brydydd, Gruffydd, Cadfael, Gwalchmai, Ifan, Cadoc, Gwynedd, Aberffraw, Cadwaladr, Owain, Deheubarth, Carreg Cennen, Hywel Dda...just too tedious. I won't be pursing this series.
Kristen
Finished this data ago and forgot about it. I thought it was a good short story, seemed to give some good background on the rest of the series. I haven't read any of the other books in the series even though I have a couple of them. But I will read more based on this sample. I liked the writing style and the culprit wasn't a dead giveaway in chapter one.
Linda
the first book in the gwen & gareth mysteries. enjoyable and realistic. welsh history is full of romance, honor, treason and betrayal, but through it all gwen & her gareth rediscover their love for each other and become a medieval detective team.
Karon
Not so much a book as a short story.
It was OK but I am never very keen on short stories. The text conjured up some nice images of medieval Wales and the ending was a bit unexpected although all the clues had been there.
Meri
Wonderful story!

I read this book in only a few hours, I couldn't put it down. It held my interest from the start and all the way through the book. I'm looking forward to starting the next one The Good Knight.
Amy
Wasn't all that impressed. I found myself sympathetic to the characters, but not sure if I will read all the series. I am wlling to give them a chance.
Cora Lee
A good start to the series. Not a brain-bending mystery, but engaging, and a nice introduction to the characters.
Rachel Olivier
A good read, a little confusing trying to keep up with ancient Welsh law.
Edward Schneider
I really like Sarah Woodbury and will read all of her books.
Patricia
Characters were under developed. It was a ok book
Mariah
Love her books. They are well written and intriguing.
  • Dandy Detects (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery #1.5)
  • Tyrant of the Mind (Medieval Mystery, #2)
  • Uneasy Lies the Crown, A Novel of Owain Glyndwr
  • The Joys of My Life (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #12)
  • Winter's Heat (The Graistan Chronicles, #1)
  • The First Murder  (The Medieval Murderers, #8)
  • The Mountain of Marvels: A Celtic Tale of Magic, Retold from the Mabinogion
  • Murder by the Book (Matthew Bartholomew, #18)
  • A Plague of Heretics (Crowner John Mystery #14)
  • The Nightingale Gallery (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #1)
  • Conquests: Hearts Rule Kingdoms
  • Great Protector
With two historian parents, Sarah couldn’t help but develop an interest in the past. She went on to get more than enough education herself (in anthropology) and began writing fiction when the stories in her head overflowed and demanded she let them out. While her ancestry is Welsh, she only visited Wales for the first time while in college. She has been in love with the country, language, and peop ...more
More about Sarah Woodbury...

Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mysteries (6 books)
  • The Good Knight (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #1)
  • The Uninvited Guest (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #2)
  • The Fourth Horseman (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #3)
  • The Fallen Princess (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #4)
  • The Unlikely Spy (A Gareth and Gwen Medieval Mystery Book 5)
  • The Lost Brother (A Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mystery)
Daughter of Time: A Time Travel Romance (After Cilmeri, #0.5) Footsteps in Time (After Cilmeri #1) The Good Knight (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #1) Prince of Time (After Cilmeri #2) Winds of Time (After Cilmeri #1.5)