Start by marking “The Lazarus Machine (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lazarus Machine (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures, #1)

The Lazarus Machine (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  69 reviews
An alternate 1895... a world where Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace perfected the Difference engine. Where steam and tesla-powered computers are everywhere. Where automatons powered by human souls venture out into the sprawling London streets. Where the Ministry, a secretive government agency, seeks to control everything in the name of the Queen.

It is in this claustrophobi
Hardcover, First Edition, 280 pages
Published November 6th 2012 by Prometheus Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Lazarus Machine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lazarus Machine

Paul
The rating system says that 2 stars is "ok". That's pretty accurate, in my opinion. I was really intrigued at first. Mechanical spiders, steam carriages, and automatons powered by trapped souls (I thought it odd how few people in Victorian England had a problem with using human souls as batteries. But whatever.) thrown at you right out of the starting gate.

After these things are introduced, there is little to no establishment on how this history differed from our timeline except that in has "Ba
Nathan
Fantasy Review Barn

Note: What follows is a review of two books, The Lazarus Machine and The Osiris Curse. I have chosen to review them together because I read them back to back on a weekend trip and there really isn’t enough to differentiate them into separate reviews.

The rules of steampunk are simple.

1. Set the story in Victorian England.

2. Put a slightly askew male character together with an all-to-aware plucky female character.

3. Have them solve a mystery that involves secret plots against Th
Wart Hill
That was so much fun!

Great characters - and great character interaction. Fantastic world building. Intriguing mystery with some twists I definitely did not see coming.

I look forward to reading the next one :)
Kimberly Souza
“The Lazarus machine” by, Paul Crilley

It’s 1895 in a steampunk London. Sebastian Tweed and Octavia Nightingale have grown up in very different circles but when Sebastian’s father and Octavia’s mother are kidnapped the teen’s worlds collide. Professor Moriarty is loose in the city and he has a group of masked thugs at his disposal. Knowing they can only count on themselves, Tweed and Nightingale team up to find their lost parents and put a stop Moriarty’s nefarious plans.

“The Lazarus machine” is
Brenna
The Lazarus Machine is being hailed as “Doctor Who” meets “Sherlock” – and being the newfound BBC addict I am, I JUMPED at reading this one. I had these ideas that it would be full of a steampunk setting, with some historical fiction feel to it, little bit of sci fi, and just enough mystery to leave me guessing. Doesn’t that sound awesome?!

And while I began reading it and found it a bit slow at first, by the latter half of the book I knew I’d found another winner. The Lazarus Machine completely
Gena
I LOVE steampunk and this book had a lot more steampunk elements than most, so that's good. I even liked the two main characters a lot - Tweed is a young boy who goes on a mission to find his abducted father and Nightingale is a young woman who is looking for info on her mother who has been missing for a year. Together, with a small gang of helpers, they infiltrate high levels of British government and discover what's behind the rash of abductions.

Good plot, and it moves nicely - there were a f
Samantha
I really liked this book and it really hit my mood spot on. I was specifically looking for something light, quick, and not too emotional or intense, and this just fit perfectly. I'm going to try and break this down...

The characters:
Sebastian Tweed: con man with a conscience, master of deduction and reason, and socially awkward around girls his own age (since he has never actually met one before)
Octavia "Songbird" Nightingale: Determined to find her missing mother, feminist, intelligent, not afra
Lisa
Nov 18, 2012 Lisa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I picked this book up in the mood for something fun, set in a historical setting and with lively characters. This is exactly what I got. This is the story of Sebastian Tweed and Octavia Nightingale, young adults who cross paths as they search for their kidnapped father and mother, respectively. Together, using logic, cunning, and spirit, they hunt down the devious villains and try to save the entire British Empire from certain disaster.

Read the rest of the review at Starmetal Oak Reviews.

Review
TL
Aug 04, 2014 TL added it
Recommended to TL by: Wart Hill
Eh, tried but couldn't get into it, not badly written... the idea was intriguing but oh well *shrugs* 2.5
Courtney
While The Lazarus Machine was not perfect it was a fun read. The characters made me giggle and there were plenty of plot twists to keep me entertained. The inventions were unique and brought a few points I kept thinking about long after I put the book down. I’m sad that I’m going to have to wait another year for the sequel. If you like steampunk you should definitely pick this book up!

Literary Escapism
Jericho Eames
Great characters within the book, not bad of a story plot and lots of plot twists too! I was genuinely surprised by the plot twist. It's a plot twist, you're supposed to be surprised, you might argue, but I really didn't expect the story to have taken a different direction from what I had expected. This book has taught me to love and see what it's like to love another so deeply. It is really one of the books that stands out for me because the theme of feminism is strong and Paul Crilley is unafr ...more
Jeffrey
I so wanted to like The Lazarus Machine by Pual Crilley. I love the idea of steam punk, but I have never read a steam punk novel that lived up to my expectations. Leviathan by Scott Westerfield came the closest (The illustrations really help Westerfield's novels.)In the end I thought Crilley's contribution to the steam punk genre was just okay.

The steam punkishness of The Lazarus Machine was good -- Tesla guns, googles, steam powered cars, mechanical creatures, and analytical computing machines.
Jen
I don't read a lot of steampunk. Not because I don't like it but because it's generally not as appealing to me as other types of fantasy novels. However, I am VERY happy that I picked this book up. It was fun without being silly, the action was nicely paced and kept pulling you along toward the end (without being overdone -- nothing is worse than overdone action!), the characters were engaging and kept my interest and I quite enjoyed the twist! I liked this book enough that I went straight out a ...more
Rose
What a great Steampunk book!
This book had it all in just the right amounts and had me screaming for more. Luckily the second installment is available.

The worldbuilding in Lazarus Machine was outstanding and not too overly complicated in steampunk cogs and gears. The overall feel and plot easily flowed and the two main characters were interesting. Tweed and Nightingale are from two different levels of society but there was that spark of interest between the two as they worked on solving the mys
Gail
Very action-oriented YA. Liked the world-building & the characters. Not a lot of subtlety to them but a fun read.
Kel
Check out the blog for more reviews, discussions, lists and fan art at Booked til Tuesday.

Note: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

If the book cover makes you think of action, adventure, mystery and Victorian England, you're right. Paul Crilley's The Lazarus Machine is a steampunk ride through a London beset once more by the evils of Professor Moriarty. With a little help and a few explosions, conman's assistant Sebastian Tweed and journalist-in-tr
Donna
How did we end up here?

This was in Pyr’s catalogue and it sounded interesting so, among other books, I requested THE LAZARUS MACHINE for review. I’m not big into steampunk but I liked the way the story sounded here.

Okay, book. You've got 50 pages. Go!

The story starts with a con job that’s about to go tits up when Tweed’s dad up and gets kidnapped by some gas-masked dudes that kill everyone else in the room. How does that NOT keep me reading? I’m less than impressed with the writing style but the
Justin
The Lazarus Machine has joined the ranks of some of the really awesome Steampunk books that I have enjoyed. As you can probably tell be the rating I didn't quite enjoy it as much as others I have read, but that isn't to say that it's not an awesome book. Because if there is one great thing I can say about this book is that Paul was able to create this amazing alternate world in which he wrote this pretty incredible story to go along with it. My only major complaint is that it gets a little overw ...more
Spacklefritz
Dec 25, 2012 Spacklefritz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: steampunk lovers

Well this was a fun read, not exactly a light read, but definitely a fun read indeed.

I've never read any of Mr. Crilley's books before, but the world that he created in The Lazarus Machine is very rich, and if you're looking for a steampunk book that definitely shows the steampunkness (not a word I know) then this book is good bet. You can see the use of these unique machines in everyday life. There are also some models which have a certain "feature" which ties up into the story.

The pl
Lynn
Today’s post is on The Lazarus Machine: A Tweed & Nightingale Adventure” by Paul Crilley. It is the first novel in a new series. It is published by Pyr Publishing and is 261 pages long. The cover has the two main characters with a green and silver machine and man in gas masks behind them. The intended reader is young adult but anyone who likes Steampunk and fast paced adventures will enjoy this book. There is no language, no sex, but the violence is not too bad and there is no gore. It is to ...more
Rachel
I picked up this book in the young adult section on a whim because the cover looked interesting. Also I vaguely remembered it being on my to-read list for awhile. I needed a distraction book to read whilst in the middle of reading a huge adult nonfiction book, as I still want to read it but needed a mental break before I completely lost interest in it. I will say that this book actually helped me wanting to start it again because of the material.

The book is set in Victorian England but an alter
Christa  Seeley
This review originally posted at More Than Just Magic

First off -Huge thanks to Brenna (Esther’s Ever After) without whom I would have never heard of this fabulous book.

To sum it up in one sentence it’s BBC-esque Sherlock meets steampunk with a dash of Doctor Who. I didn’t believe it until I read it but that is the most accurate description I can think off. So then knowing my love of all three of those things it should be no surprise that I adored The Lazarus Machine.

Since this is a steampunk nov
Megan (Book Brats)
This review will probably be shorter than my average, and for a very succinct reason – it was ultimately forgettable in a sea of books with similar plots. THE LAZARUS MACHINE was a book that took me almost two months to read, continuously relegated to the bottom of my reading pile after picking it up, reading a few pages, and then returning it to the stack to be forgotten after a number of steampunk fantasies that stood out more, some for great reasons, some for horrible ones.

In the end, when a
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Love these types of books. Adventure and unexpected discoveries that leave you wanting more...

The plot of the book starts off great. Tweed goes around the country conning people. They pretend they can speak with dead. Right off the bat, their relationship is strange. It's not your normal father/son relationship but rather a friendship. It's odd to see how they regard each other and that;s why I'm so intrigued. Why are they like this in the first place? What is the father hiding?

Of course, my sus
Suzanne Dix
Seventeen year old Sebastian Tweed witnesses the incredible abduction of his father by Professor James Moriarty...who supposedly died along with Sherlock Holmes when they fell over Reichenbach Falls. Such begins the mad adventure to save Tweed's father, understand how it is that Moriarty lives and what his evil plans are for the near future. Tweed and his father are friends to those with London underworld connections and in asking for help to find his father, Tweed is introduced to Octavia Night ...more
Kaitlyn
When I saw this book on Goodreads, everything about it screamed, "Read me!" From the Doctor Who-ish cover (gas masks and overcoats, anyone?) to the awesome premise (an alternate London with steampunk machinery in 1895) this book sounded like my dream come true. Not to mention the awesome references to Sherlock Holmes! But in the end, while this was definitely a good book, it simply wasn't great.

As much as I love steampunk novels, I hate it when the machinery is confusing and difficult to underst
LJ
Candace (Lovey Dovey Books)
London in 1895, filled with steam and Tesla powered technology, never seemed so believable until Paul Crilley's Lazarus Machine. The first Tweed & Nightingale Adventure is everything one would expect from a science-fiction mystery: intriguing, speckled with humor, and riddled with danger for its endearing detective duo. Sebastian Tweed and Octavia Nigtingale are a force to reckon with and though they come from different backgrounds, their chemistry is undeniable and fun to see come to realiz ...more
Diayll
Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating 4 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Publisher
Reviewer: AimeeKay

The Lazarus Machine is a very interesting Steampunk mystery.

Overall the book was filled with fun and excitement, as well as mystery. It drew me in and definitely had some parts I didn’t see coming.

I liked the world that Crilley has built. I think it is a great set up for future novels. Not only more about the main characters, Tweed and Nightingale, but for other characters that were
Dayla
Article first published as Book Review: The Lazarus Machine: A Tweed and Nightingale Adventure by Paul Crilley on Blogcritics.

Review also appeared on my blog: Book Addict 24-7

I received a copy for review

Paul Crilley’s The Lazarus Machine: A Tweed and Nightingale Adventure is a young adult steampunk novel that toys with the morbid topic of death. Crilley’s story is a great introduction to the world of steam engines, curious detectives, and wondrous mysteries. Crilley wastes no time in getting the
PRLHS Book Club: The Lazarus Machine 1 7 Nov 05, 2012 05:30PM
  • The Doomsday Vault (Clockwork Empire, #1)
  • Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl (Gideon Smith, #1)
  • The Falling Machine (The Society of Steam, #1)
  • The Crossing (Blood of the Lamb, #1)
  • inDIVISIBLE
  • The Clockwork Dagger (Clockwork Dagger Duology, #1)
  • Heart of Brass (Clockwork Agents, #1)
  • Moonlight Mayhem (Spellbound #3)
  • A Conspiracy of Alchemists (The Chronicle of Light and Shadow, #1)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • The Witch Collector Part I
  • The Creative Fire (Ruby's Song #1)
  • The Friday Society
  • The Unnaturalists (The Unnaturalists, #1)
  • The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #2)
  • Tin Swift (Age of Steam, #2)
  • The Doctor and the Kid (Weird West Tales, #2)
  • Scourge: A Grim Doyle Adventure (Grim Doyle Adventures, #1)
Paul Crilley was born in Scotland but moved to South Africa when he was eight years old. He writes fantasy, Young Adult, and Middle Grade books and also works in South African television. He spent a year as part of the writing team for the computer game, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and also writes comics when he can get a chance.

The Invisible Order Book One: Rise of the Darklings comes out in Sep
More about Paul Crilley...
Rise of the Darklings (The Invisible Order, #1) The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2) Night of Long Shadows (Eberron: Inquisitives, #2) The Osiris Curse (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures, #2) Taint of the Black Brigade (Eberron: Chronicles of Abraxis Wren, #2)