Start by marking “Saving the World at Work: What Companies and Individuals Can Do to Go Beyond Making a Profit to Making a Difference” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Saving the World at Wo...

Tim Sanders

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Even the actions of a single person can help to change the world. How? Through simple acts of leadership and compassion. Open up this book, and discover the true stories of people whose actions have caused a chain reaction at work and in their communities. Among them:
A manager who gives an employee some supportive praise, and as a result literally saves his life (page 231
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Saving the World at Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving the World at Work

Robert

Of special interest to me is what Sanders has to say about what he calls the "saver soldier," a highly motivated individual who leverages work as a platform to help save the world. She or he is convinced that a business can do well by doing good. Sanders examines various saver soldiers, three of whom (e.g. IBM's Jeff Immelt, Patagonia's Yvon Choinard, and Aveda's Horst Rechelbacher) "have stated that they don't expect to achieve their vision single-handedly; they need foot soldiers to scout, inn
Thomas Magbee
I love Corporate Social Responsibility. The concept of for-profit companies viewing themselves as citizens over consumers is refreshing and well-developed. This book is neither of those things.

Instead of this book, check out "Firms of Endearment" or read Michael Porter's take on CSR. Both present facts and multiple examples of what corporate responsibility looks like - "Saving the World at Work" provides minimal anecdotal examples, and really just feels like an extended diatribe on the woes of A
Kelly
The first half of this book was hard to get through. That part is trying to sell you on the idea of companies doing more than just making a profit. So if you're already convinced of the value of such a company, I'd say skip the first half.

I much preferred the second half because it got more practical. In particular, the chapter on how to influence change in your company was a great overview that I think I'll keep around for reference.

The second half also has a few chapters with ideas for changes
Nick
Occasionally books come along that capture the spirit of a new age. This is one of those books. Tim Sanders demonstrates, in well-written, clearly argued prose, that companies need to change the way they do business, or risk falling behind the others who do. What's the new business model? Companies need to embrace corporate social responsibility in a real way. They need to take care of their employees, contribute positively to the communities in which they operate, and go wholeheartedly green. S ...more
Terry
I really liked this book, but here is my advice on how to read it. Start with the last chapter, and work you way to the first. This is a good book for the proactive, I like my job, but I am burned out person. Great new ideas and ways to jump start your life at work.
Asta Garmon
This is a quick read which will motivate you to jump up and save the world at work. Seriously, Sanders makes it seem possibly for anyone, working anywhere to change the way their company conducts business. Something tells me that if it was really that easy, the corporate American culture would be a little different . . . I do like Sander's idea of "them-geners" is a natural part of social progression. I also agreed with the notion that "them-geners" will be teaching the CEO's of today how to lea ...more
Emilie
I picked it up to get some ideas on how to get buy-in from my organization, where I have attempted to start a Green Committee. The author offers some good ideas, provides examples of successful and viable socially responsible companies, Ray Andersen's Interface being one of the best known. I might not read the whole book, but it validates my feeling that there is more to work than earning a dollar, and that it is okay to want to feel like what I am doing and where I work is socially responsible.
Matthew Dudley
The first 3/4 were good, with some decent ideas but the last quarter was basically a scolding to the reader that dramatically altered my overall opinion of the book to its detriment.
Erica
I keep trying to read these kinds of books, and often they just aren’t very good. This one was definitely better than the rest. The idea of course is that there is lots of stuff you can do to make the world a better place, and some of it is at your place of business.

Full review at http://palenerd.wordpress.com/2009/03...
Kieran Jones
it motivated me to think more carefully about the supply chain for my business and maximize the good choices there. I was able to find a new acupuncture needle company that aligns better with my world view. However, the read itself was less than awesome. It felt like work getting through it.
Gwen
For me, the best nuggets were the reminders of how dramatically the 35-45yr. old talent pool will shrink in the coming decade. Their values are different as well. Are we ready for the upcoming talent war? How will linking purpose to work improve talent engagement?
Steve
While Sanders comes across as overly optimistic and idealistic, he does show numerous examples of individuals making HUGE differences in society by speaking up and following through with companies to improve their corporate responsibility.

Change one, change many...
Ryan Brinkworth
Some compelling case studies of small things making a big difference in work offices.

A great read for those who are looking to make a difference, without resorting to hugging trees and eating only vegetables which don't cast a shadow.
Alan
Fantastic, inspiring book. I'm thrilled I got to see Sanders speak at a United Way event in KC. He really gives you a different set of lenses through which to look at the world.
Bill
It wasn't really that inspiring of a text. I was disappointing in the examples it used to validate assertions, and the topic wasn't one I was really predisposed to beforehand (and it didn't convince me).
Tamara
Eh, too philosophical. I wanted to know how to convince people to prioritize the environment without an obvious monetary reward. Impossible???
Julie Baylor
Very practicial, thorough, and inspiring! Great suggestions on how all employees can initiate CSR activities in their workplace.
Thomas
Any book that starts with the division of people into the "Me generation," the "Us Generation," etc. does not deserve my time.
Dylan Blanchard
Would have been better as a blog post, but it did have some good points, and aligns with my perspective on business.
Steve
A good read about changes in consumer attitudes. In line with recent research by Yankelovich
Lindsay
It's got some good points, but isn't my favorite of this type of genre.
Andrea
Great content, great writing, great mission.
Lindsay
Decent for its genre, but not my favorite.
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Christina Quick
Christina Quick marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Outline of History, Volume 1: Being a Plain History of Life and Mankind
  • Survival Is Not Enough: Why Smart Companies Abandon Worry and Embrace Change
  • The Girl's Guide to Kicking Your Career Into Gear: Valuable Lessons, True Stories, and Tips For Using What You've Got (A Brain!) to Make Your Worklife Work for You
  • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: And Other Stories
  • Building the Bridge as You Walk on It: A Guide for Leading Change
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • The Designful Company: How to Build a Culture of Nonstop Innovation
  • Reality-Based Leadership: Ditch the Drama, Restore Sanity to the Workplace, and Turn Excuses Into Results
  • The Nordstrom Way: The Inside Story of America's #1 Customer Service Company (Nordstrom Way)
  • How to Be Like Mike: Life Lessons about Basketball's Best
  • Design Thinking: Integrating Innovation, Customer Experience, and Brand Value
  • Wired to Care: How Companies Prosper When They Create Widespread Empathy
  • The HR Scorecard: Linking People, Strategy, and Performance
  • Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy
Book Yourself Solid: The Fastest, Easiest, and Most Reliable System for Getting More Clients Than You Can Handle Even If You Hate Marketing and Selling Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends Today We Are Rich: Harnessing The Power Of Total Confidence The Likeability Factor: How to Boost Your L-Factor and Achieve Your Life's Dreams Today We are Rich: Harnessing the Power of Total Confidence