Start by marking “The Bacchi” as Want to Read:
The Bacchi

The Bacchi (An Uncommon Whore related)

The Bacchi Lefi Dhrahn lives a life of luxury and decadence, but is tortured by memories of a lost love. He survives the pain by surrounding himself with sex, beauty and all forms of self-indulgence. When he meets the alluring Inspector Afton Teris, Lefi believes the detective will make a very nice addition to his string of conquests.

He doesn't count on falling in love.

Aft
Published July 31st 2012 by Loose Id (first published July 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Bacchi, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

MLE
Apr 02, 2013 MLE rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-archive, mm, arc
This was an amazingly well developed sci-fi romance. I loved the thought that went into the different species, and cultures that make up this book. They were so well drawn, and so interesting that they really made this book work for me. There was no one perfect group, or people and they each had their own weakness and strengths, and their societies felt just as real as their biology.

In the beginning I thought the romance between Lefi and Afton might have been moving a bit fast, but then I remem
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
The Romance Review

Returning to the UNCOMMON WHORE world is a fabulous adventure. This time, two new species are introduced and boy, are they hot. One is the Valoran and the other is Somian.

Afton is the Valoran who is an officer of the law. He's by the book and kind of sheltered. This is typical of the Valorans because they are rigid and prefer structure. The interesting thing about Valorans is that they have both male and female sexual organs. As a child, they pick if they are male or female. Those who accept bo
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
This book is set in the same universe of An Uncommon Whore, and we have a small glimpse of Hawke and Helios. The story revolves around Lefi and Afton.

Lefi is a sex-worker, but he's more a therapist than a prostitute. He belongs to the Bacchis Guild, which is a sort of union which forms and protects sex workers. He is a Somian, a race that seems to be born for sex, as many characters say in the book. He's a green-haired, highly sensual creature, who carries a smile on his face, but has sadness in
Brenda Maldonado
Aug 05, 2012 Brenda Maldonado rated it it was amazing
I am entranced by Belinda's characters and the world she created. The sensual Somian Lefi and his stunning Valoran are breathtaking. I've adopted them! Add to that key bits and pieces that expand the richness of the world and advance the overall story arch and the result is a perfect addition to the series. I can't wait for the next installment!

While I am sure The Bacchi makes a fine stand alone story, it really should be read as part of the series for maximum enjoyment. (1. An Uncommon Whore, 2
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Aug 26, 2012 Jo * Smut-Dickted * rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: MM Fantasy/SciFi fans who love a great story!
Simply awesome. This was every bit as good as the others in the series - in fact it might be just a titch better. Lefi and Afton are so perfect - and so perfect for each other. Although this has passion it is not that white hot passion that will make you pant - it is the slow measured full and rich passion that opens the heart to the joy, happiness, and contentment you can find in the one that is meant for you. The world building was, as always, great. I loved the secondary characters just as mu ...more
Marsha Spence
Aug 01, 2012 Marsha Spence rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Loved everything about this! And the ending; the ending!!!! Already looking forward to book 4! I really enjoy Afton's growth and self-discovery along with Lefi's love and their relationship.
Elena
4.5 sensual, steamy stars!!!

You might call this book a spin-off of the Uncommon Whore series... It probably should be best read after An Uncommon Whore, When I Fall and Prince of Faith. But I suppose you could also try to read it as a stand-alone...

The Bacchi is only marked as the "Uncommon Whore verse" because it evolves about completely different MCs, though living in the same time and space as the Dayspring "gang" from previous books ;)

We actually met the main character, Lefi Dhrahn, in Whe
Heather♥
Aug 07, 2012 Heather♥ rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading An Uncommon Whore and When I Fall, so I was delighted to learn that this book would be set in the same universe. Any small mention of Helios and Griffin is always welcome to me and The Bacchi introduced us to a whole new set of interesting characters as well.

The beginning of the story was more of a slow read for me because it focused a lot on Afton's confusion/denial of his true sexual orientation and Lefi's broken heart. Since the Valoran have both male and female sex o
Kassa
Jan 23, 2013 Kassa rated it really liked it
3.5-4 stars

I’m a fan of this author’s alternate world stories and was excited to see another one. The Bacchi is peripherally associated with An Uncommon Whore and When I Fall but can easily be read as a stand-alone book. The world building and occasional character from the previous books shows up but I think the author offers enough details to understand this one on it’s own. The writing is clean and engaging and the characters draw you in from the start. The world building is creative and inter
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
4.5

I've really liked the Uncommon Whore world and was intrigued by the Valoran Cali Polis in Belle Starr by Belinda McBride so I figured that I'd enjoy this story which I did. The Somian culture is very interesting as well.

Afton opens with having repressed his natural gen tendencies and Lefi sees through him immediately and is attracted to him. Lefi plays a delightful cat and mouse game until Afton finally comes to realize who and what he really is and I have to say being a gen is pretty hot. The best of both worlds.

There w
Deja Dei
Nice addition to a series I really like, from an author I really like. I enjoyed the characters very much. I could have done without the m/f, but I won't rate it down because of it, since the author gave a warning and I knew it would be there. Everything else was great anyway!
Virginia
Great world building. Sweet sci fi love story. Am hoping there's a follow up with Rev and we get a chance to check in on how the Bacchi and Volaran (Lefi and Afton) are doing.
Dee Wy
Sep 13, 2012 Dee Wy rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars - Fantastic Sci-Fi adventure and romance. The cover is to die for and the writing excellent. Looking forward to the next book!
momokaachan
Jan 28, 2013 momokaachan rated it liked it
Shelves: mm
The MCs were good. The story line was good. The cultural world-building was good. I think my main reservations about this read go with the sex. They meet. They have sex. They run into each other again. More sex. They start working together. More sex. Both MCs comment in their own reveries that they are getting to like each other a lot. More sex. They go under cover. More sex. Stuff happens, they separate. Angst, angst, because there is NO SEX. Then they fall into each other's arms (literally) an ...more
Lily
Dec 14, 2012 Lily rated it really liked it
4.4 stars. Although sci-fi is among my least favourite genres, Belinda McBride's books always manage to seamlessly draw me to the engaging plot and unusual characters. I was a bit apprehensive after reading the synopsis, but I must say this has been a greatly enjoyable story - a balanced combination of romance, action and self-discovery.
Belinda McBride
Jul 30, 2012 Belinda McBride added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Author's Note: While The Bacchi is a m/m romance, the reader should be aware that there are instances of m/f sex. :) Its not part of the Uncommon Whore arc, but does contain plot points relevant to Helios, Griffin and Co.
Ayanna
Feb 23, 2013 Ayanna rated it really liked it
8/20/2015
McBride really does grow on you, doesn't it? Or maybe the change is in me. It's been 2 years, after all.
Hm.

Wait a minute, that epilogue.
(view spoiler)

2/23/2015
3.5/5

...spray-on condoms...?

It was al
Cherie Noel
Aug 01, 2012 Cherie Noel rated it it was amazing
Every time I read a Belinda McBride story I am shocked by how very, very good it is. I go in expecting great things... and Belinda surprises me by bringing a book full of characters that are even more alluring than I expected. I honestly hold my breath the whole way through (figuratively) because I just know at some point she's going to drop me off an unexpected ravine into cold, dark water... and I come back time after time because I know in the end I'm going to find the kiss of the sun she alw ...more
M'rella
I don't have a tag for hermaphrodites, because I prefer the male sex bits separate from the female, so excuse me for filing it under transgender. I do know the difference. The joint sex part weirded me out a little, but not necessarily in a bad way.

The sex scenes, though I usually skip them, made an impression on me, because it's not just your plain old banging. There is much more to it. Check this out:
"The orgasm pulsed through him, crashing him against a far shore, then dragging him back out t
Chappy
I really enjoyed this spin-off of the An Uncommon Whore (An Uncommon Whore #1) by Belinda McBride series.

Poor Afton is so rigid and repressed that he doesn't even realize that he's a "gen". His species is naturally hermaphroditic and individuals can choose to be male, female or gen (gender neutral). Being a gen does carry some social stigma but once he's been with Lefi, he can no longer deny his tendencies.

Poor Lefi is dealing with unimaginable pain as well. His species are always born as twins and they pretty much share their whole lives together. Whe
Tj
Jul 07, 2012 Tj rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
I had a hard time with this book. I enjoyed it in parts and got bored in parts. I think I'm too use to the quick action ones these days;) The writing was well done and very descriptive. The settings were described well and you could almost see and feel where the characters were. The two MC's were interesting characters and each in their own way damaged. Both were living separate from their own cultures and species. I loved watching both grow in themselves and learn how to love each other.
Mich
Mar 19, 2014 Mich rated it really liked it
Just awesome. Lefi and Afton's story is a great addition to the "Uncommon Whore" world. Much more world building here and a truly nice little love story.
Epilogue has left me guessing...but I am already hooked into this series. Can't wait for the next installment.
This book was a happy little change from the others in this genre. Definitely a nice twist on a love story with some gender bending.
Also...Some super hot scenes. There is no way not to love a green haired sex therapist with a raging ha
Camille-Dhark Nytmhare
By far, one of the best books I have read all year. Such passionate writing and an authentic love story with sensual characters. There was just enough mushiness to make it sigh worthy not eyeroll worthy as love stories tend to be. The sex scenes were spectacular climaxes (he-he) peppered throughout the book. This book can be read as a stand-alone but it's better if you start with An Uncommon Whore by Belinda McBride I am invested in the characters and can't wait to read the next book in the storyline.
Feb 10, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Incredible world and character building. As stated in the synopsis, this is the same world where An Uncommon Whore takes place. There is a lot going on in this story. We have coming to terms with one's identity, accepting grief and moving on, trafficking of individuals and reconnecting with family. I really hope Rev gets a book. He deserves a HEA.
Becca Finn
Sep 18, 2013 Becca Finn rated it liked it
It was a decent book. But it left me with wondering who the heck those kids were!? I am so confused. I do not like being confused.

However, I did enjoy the journey of gender discovery and acceptance that was portrayed. It was rather nicely done.
Darkm
Oct 10, 2012 Darkm rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, m-m
Interesting story with two flawed and beautiful characters.
(view spoiler)
Betryal
Apr 15, 2015 Betryal rated it it was amazing
This book will stretch your imagination beyond the wildest dreams. I completely loved this story!
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Mmmmmm, look at that cover!!! No way could I resist one like that! Especially when one guy has long green hair!!!
Cinzia
Aug 30, 2013 Cinzia rated it it was amazing

Years and years that I didn't read a Sci-Fi book, that was one of my favorites generes in the past, but when I saw this book by Belinda McBride, I Couldn't help my self . I love this author, her books and her characters never disappoint me. I must say that in this case The Bacchi is a book erotic Sci-Fi, but it's so good,very very nice and exciting.
Ms McBride created her characters, giving free rein to her creativity, maintaining some constant features that are found in her book: beautiful love
Elizabeth
I really liked how the author snuck in that "coming to terms with who you really are and being proud of it" theme with all the sex. I was impressed with the underlying storyline. Will be picking up more by this author in the future.
  • Sub Zero (An ESTO Universe Novel)
  • Assimilation, Love, and Other Human Oddities (Claimings #2)
  • Hajiri's Pet (Midnight Rain #1)
  • Close Encounters
  • The Experiment  (Saving Caeorleia #1)
  • Alien 'n' Outlaw (Galactic Alliance #2)
  • An Unauthorized Field Guide to the Hunt
  • The Nourisher (Border Worlds Saga, #1)
  • A Solid Core of Alpha
  • Outcast Mine
  • Sins of the Father (Angel and the Assassin, #3)
  • Dark Space (Dark Space, #1)
  • Grown Men (HardCell, #1)
  • No Master (Bounty, #3)
  • Where Willows Won't Grow
  • Incursion
  • Amaranth & Ash
  • Kidnapped (The Infinitum Government, #1)
Belinda is an award-winning, top selling author of erotic romance, speculative fiction and LGBTQ romance. She lives in far Northern California with her family and a pack of Siberian Huskies.

A graduate of CSU Chico, she managed to attend the notorious party school without once getting drunk, arrested or appearing in a "Girls Gone Wild" video. Her main focus of study was classical and archival hist
More about Belinda McBride...

An Uncommon Whore (4 books)
  • An Uncommon Whore (An Uncommon Whore #1)
  • When I Fall (An Uncommon Whore, #2)
  • Prince of Faith (An Uncommon Whore, #3)