Start by marking “Phase (Phase Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Phase (Phase Trilogy, #1)

Phase (Phase Trilogy #1)

Sophie Todd hoped that her senior year would be different. Unfortunately, different seems to mean getting punched in the face for sticking up for the new girl, having her offer of friendship spurned by said new girl, and finally gaining the attention of her long-time crush, Ezra Varden, but for all the wrong reasons.

It's a tenuous friendship at best, but as Juliet starts t
Published July 6th 2012 by Etopia Press (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Phase, please sign up.

E.C. Newman Yes, it is. I don't have any confirmed dates on releases, so I can't offer much information.
E.C. Newman Yes, it's in process now. I don't have any official dates or anything, but I can tell you, there is a second book.
Golden Blood by Melissa PearlSilent Treatment by Jackie WilliamsBeyond Oria Falls by Sheryl SealCircle of Five by Jan RaymondBeyond Bridalveil Fall by Sheryl Seal
Best Unknown Young Adult Books
30th out of 815 books — 1,535 voters
Phase by E.C. NewmanThe Waiting Booth by Brinda BerryBlood, She Read by Sara HubbardWhisper of Memory by Brinda BerryThe Bird with the Broken Wing by D.L. Richardson
YA Books From Etopia Press
1st out of 14 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily Fauble
Jul 06, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
It's a bit strange reading a book written by a friend, however, there were plenty of times when I was able to forget about that and got wrapped up in the story. My greatest annoyance about the book is....when will I be able to read the next one! :-)
Jul 11, 2012 Steffani rated it really liked it
I was beginning to despair of finding a YA novel I could read without cringing every few seconds - whether at the bad grammar/spelling or hideously awful plot.

'Phase' was a breath of fresh air.

The protagonist was extremely likeable, the minor characters significant, and the plot a whole lot more complex than one would expect at first glance.

Thank you, E.C. You had me, hook, line, and sinker, from the first page to the last. Looking forward to the next installment!
Jul 12, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
After reading some other books in this same genre, I was pleasantly surprised with how refreshing this book was compared to other ones I have read. I was able to get into the world very easily and felt that it was believable and well-fleshed out. I liked the element of danger that the author added to this book to make it more true to its world. Also, I thought this book had a good balance of being a story about friendship through all obstacles with a love story thrown in for good measure. It tho ...more
Hollie Georgiana
Jul 10, 2012 Hollie Georgiana rated it really liked it
More a
Jul 21, 2012 Kelley rated it it was amazing

Omg. Very very good YA. I loved the story and want more!
Jul 11, 2012 Radiant rated it really liked it
WOW!!I loved loved it.
I like werewolves stories in general and this seems to be no exception.
The story and plot is definitely different from what i have read and so i totally enjoyed reading the story.

Sophie is the normal teenage junior who is too good to be bunking,all good grades,ever trusting all..but she has never had a best friend who she can share her the crush on Ezra for four years.

She then meets Juliet/Jules..who is strange,wild,always frowning and doesn't care fo
Daniel Jr.
Jul 18, 2012 Daniel Jr. rated it really liked it
So, I don't have a lot of experience w/ YA paranormal romance, but I did read a few chapters of that famous vampire series some years back, and PHASE is better written. I can forgive a lot of faults in a book, but bad writing, it seems to me, cannot be overcome. That's step one for me.

PHASE is a quick read, in part because it's very much dialogue-driven. In that respect, I was impressed by how deeply the author had imagined her characters; convincing body language constantly accompanies the conv
Jul 14, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
This was a really good read. I wanted to read this book because the author is a very good friend of my son and daughter -in-law. Once I started reading I was unable to put it down. Well done now I can't wait for book 2 and 3 to come out.
Jul 25, 2012 Jasmeen rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

They always say not to judge a book by its cover. I’m guilty of doing just that. I don’t know what it is about a gorgeous cover that just makes me want to read a book. Most of the time I’m left disappointed. Fortunately, this time I was not.

There are so many things that I just loved about this book, that I don’t know where to even being this review. It was phenomenal. It’s been so long since I just enjoyed a book so thoroughly. I’m the kind of person who tends to pick up on the writing
Aug 24, 2012 Niki rated it really liked it
Shelves: bloom-finished
Ok...sooo... I really like this book. Really liked.

The fact that we can see the perspective of the paranormal situation through eyes of a best friend is really good. It's a new approach in YA paranormal books and I like it.

Why has to every "deep kiss" in YA books end with "sex talk". Why, oh why? Ok, so...we are together. We have this sweet first kiss. Then next time we kiss is all hot and "deep" as they use to describe it. And then the guy says "you know, I won't force you, I will wait for
Apr 21, 2013 Brinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Phase is a great story of friendship and trust. Sophie is a senior who hasn't ever had a best friend. I'm not sure why because she makes for great friend material. I'd be Sophie's friend, and maybe that's why I liked her so much. Enter the social outcast and new girl in town, Juliet. Juliet is tough, different, and a foster kid. Sophie befriends Juliet. In doing so, this puts her in direct contact with Juliet's foster family member, the crushworthy Ezra.

I enjoyed this story of friendship that a
Aug 08, 2012 i. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teenagers who have never read about wolves before
An average school girl , a long-time crush ,a new friend and wolves. Sophie Todd's life is about to change forever during her senior year.

I liked Sophie from the very beginning, she is honest with herself and brave ,she sticks up for someone she barely knows and at the same time she is just a regular girl, sometimes awkward and clumsy.

Julie is the new girl in town, a foster teenage living with the Vardens,gorgeous and with a troubled past.

Ezra Varden , Sophie's crush,doesn't pay much attention t
OMG THIS BOOK IS SOOOOOOOO AMAZING !!!! my twin sister and i just finished reading it and we TOTALLY LUUURVE IT!! Sophie is the best female character and i would totally love to have a friend like jules(she actually reminds me of my sister) and ezra.... oh ezra *sighh* its a beautiful book and i CANT WAIT FOR THE SEQUEL.
Sep 08, 2012 Carly rated it it was amazing
I loved the story, and the characters. I literally could not put the book down. I read it in one sitting! I fell in love with the story, the people, everything! I highly recommend this book, and quite frequently, to everyone I know. :)
Andrea Heltsley
Oct 22, 2012 Andrea Heltsley rated it really liked it
The Good: The book was very well written. The author wrote a creative read while adding strong morals into the book. Sophie got good grades and never did anything wrong. Summer was a bully that Sophie puts a stop to. Juliet was a foster kid with a desire for a better life. Ezra was Sophie's high school crush and proves that good things come to those who wait.

The Bad: There wasn't any romance until the very end. There wasn't even a lot of build up. It made me kind of sad.

The Sexy: Nothing really
Jillian (NetGalley Addict)

Sophie is the good girl, she gets good grades, goes to church and never gets into trouble. When Juliet the new girl gets harassed by Summer Sophie steps in and she gets punched in the face by Summer. Sophie and Juliet start to become friends and when Sophie stay the night at Juliets adoptive parents house with her long time crush Ezra she starts to notice some odd things. When she and Juliet get into a fight and Sophie goes to the Vardens house she walks into the room just as Juliet is turning i
I won this book free on the goodreads giveaways! The author autographed the book and sent me a note with a pin! Loved it and definitely get it :-) Spoiled pack princess.
The book was awesome. It was very fast paced and interesting. There were several times where I would be sitting there reading with a stupid, cheesy grin on my face. I laughed out loud many times! This is definitely a must read! There are few books that I can read again but this is one of them!!
The book is about a girl names Sophi
Dec 13, 2012 Antonia♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so good, I absolutely loved it.

~Soon, the complete review~
Mar 20, 2013 Devin rated it it was amazing
Great book, any news on book 2?
B. Scribe
Apr 25, 2013 B. Scribe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phase is an easy read (not to be mistaken for an easy story). The author writes natural and convincing dialogue, builds suspense throughout the novel, and treats areas of morality with a lot of tact.

Sophie is a lovely protagonist. She's also a glutton for punishment, which is endearing in light-hearted moments and maddening (in a good way) when she's hard done by. You feel for her, and cheer for her, from the very beginning.

The friendship between Sophie and Jules, alongside the paranormal elemen
Jan 09, 2016 Frances rated it it was amazing
Loved it... Can't wait for the next book!!
I... FUCKING... LOVED...THIS. LOVED IT. LOVED IT. But i will try to be as explanatory as possible in my review. but i loved it, it was amazing. please read this.

Song Choice: "My Best Friend" by Weezer for the relationship between Jules and Sophie, "Safe and Sound" by Taylor Swift featuring The Civil Wars the relationship between Sophie and Ezra and still a little bit about Jules and Sophie, and i am going to go with "Romulus" by Sufjan Stevens and while its not quite what this book is about the
Megan Huggins
Feb 12, 2014 Megan Huggins rated it really liked it
I'm usually a little skeptical of the supernatural genre, especially after my unfortunate experience with one series that involved a very sparkly vampire and a love-sick girl, but Phase is very well done. I especially enjoyed the focus of the novel, not on romance so much as the strength and importance of friendship (although I adored every second of Ezra and Sophie). All the characters are beautifully and realistically crafted, each one unique and distinctive. I loved Sophie and her adorable se ...more
Oct 17, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
E.C. Newman gave me the perfect book. I have been searching for a good YA romance shifter-wolf novel for a while and this one was everything I wanted! The novel started off with a Ka-Pow... quite literally.
Phase was balanced well between the love interest, the friend, and family. Sophie was such a normal teenage girl, I adored her and how relatable she was and I enjoyed the silliness of her inner monologue. She was always true to herself and stayed a good girl throughout the novel.
Jules is the b
Jan 16, 2015 I rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK IS VERY GOOD.A must read.Usually any werewolf related series will only have a werewolf(always male) and a human/witch/bad ass heroine and they have an unnatural attraction between them.The most amazing thing about this book is that it showed a new kind of story in the shifter genre which with the authors way of writing made an amazing book and about to be an good series.The most awesome thing about this book is it showed one of the most wonderful relationship the world "Friendship" whi ...more
Mar 23, 2015 Keilee rated it really liked it
Shelves: werewolves
I like how this whole book is about friendship. There is some romance which is to be expected. This book focus on how Sophie will always try to be there for her best friend even before a guy liking her. Sophie friendship with Jules is the one thing that will anchor her in the craziness that seems to surround Jules. Showing what true friends will do for one another.
Kate Mixon
May 09, 2015 Kate Mixon rated it really liked it
Actually a 4.5 - I really enjoyed this book. My English teacher is the author, and I could definitely tell. Miss Newman, the main character sounded like you haha. (in the best way)

Okay back to my review.

I loved this book! I lovedddd Ezra. Not Micah. Hate Micah. I only had a few things:
- as I've already said, I hated Micah. I hope in the sequel Ezra boots him as Alpha. Super annoying.
- I loved Sophie, but she seemed a little too desperate for her friendship with Juliet, but at the same time
Carole Myers
Jun 11, 2015 Carole Myers rated it it was amazing
Having read YA and urban fantasy novels in the past, it was not much of a stretch to read this novel. And I was definitely glad that I did. The author has created an interesting high school portrait of young love, conflict, and shape shifting teens effectively using narrative and conversation that rings true. My only complaint about this novel is that there is more to this story and I can't read it yet. Get busy, EC!
Aug 10, 2016 Robyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read

I've been a fan since Her writing is absolutely incredible, the way she describes things with her writing makes it possible to imagine everything in your head and it is beautiful. I look forward to so much more from EC Newman hands-down one of the best writers ever. Her characters are easy to love and easy to hate, you can picture yourself easily in the high school setting as if it was your own. Get your copy now, you won't regret it.
  • Insider (Outsider, #2)
  • Reviving Bloom (Bloom Daniels, #1)
  • Charity Rising (Charity, #2)
  • By the Pale Moonlight
  • The Other Fish in the Sea (Grab Your Pole, #2)
  • Breaking Point (The Order of the Elements #1)
  • Territory (Territory, #2)
  • Into the Deep (Into the Deep, #1)
  • Pack of Lies (Red Ridge Pack, #1)
  • Valor
  • Moon-Linked (The Lone March Series, #1)
  • Werewolf Dreams (Taming the Wolf, #1)
  • Beloved (The Crystor #3)
  • Silence of the Wolves (Call of the Wilderness #1)
  • Whisper of Memory (Whispering Woods, #2)
  • Primal Quest (Primal Attractions, #1)
  • Sacrifice of Love (The Grey Wolves, #7)
  • Elemental Shining (Paranormal Public #3)
E. C. Newman is a storyteller at heart. Born and raised wherever the military sent her family, she never found a direction for her writing until she found herself in Ancient History her freshman year of college, desperate to stay awake. Bringing stories alive in FanFiction, poetry, and original work gave E. C. the distraction she needed and the confidence to add a Writing Major to her bachelor's d ...more
More about E.C. Newman...

“My gracefulness took a vacation this weekend?” 12 likes
“You're a ring-wearing, save-yourself-for-marriage kind of girl. I dig that.” 11 likes