Phase (Phase Trilogy, #1)

Phase (Phase Trilogy #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Sophie Todd hoped that her senior year would be different. Unfortunately, different seems to mean getting punched in the face for sticking up for the new girl, having her offer of friendship spurned by said new girl, and finally gaining the attention of her long-time crush, Ezra Varden, but for all the wrong reasons.

It's a tenuous friendship at best, but as Juliet starts t...more
Published July 6th 2012 by Etopia Press (first published July 1st 2012)

Golden Blood by Melissa PearlReVamped by Ada AdamsBentwhistle the Dragon in A Threat from the Past by Paul CudeLone Wolf Rising by Jami BrumfieldSilent Treatment by Jackie Williams
Best Unknown Young Adult Books
21st out of 573 books — 1,270 voters
The Waiting Booth by Brinda BerryPhase by E.C. NewmanBlood, She Read by Sara HubbardWhisper of Memory by Brinda BerryThe Bird with the Broken Wing by D.L. Richardson
YA Books From Etopia Press
2nd out of 24 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Radiant
WOW!!I loved loved it.
I like werewolves stories in general and this seems to be no exception.
The story and plot is definitely different from what i have read and so i totally enjoyed reading the story.

Sophie is the normal teenage junior who is too good to be true..no bunking,all good grades,ever trusting all..but she has never had a best friend who she can share her secrets..like the crush on Ezra for four years.

She then meets Juliet/Jules..who is strange,wild,always frowning and doesn't care fo...more
Jillian (Busy Moms Book Reviews)

Sophie is the good girl, she gets good grades, goes to church and never gets into trouble. When Juliet the new girl gets harassed by Summer Sophie steps in and she gets punched in the face by Summer. Sophie and Juliet start to become friends and when Sophie stay the night at Juliets adoptive parents house with her long time crush Ezra she starts to notice some odd things. When she and Juliet get into a fight and Sophie goes to the Vardens house she walks into the room just as Juliet is turning i...more
Becca
I... FUCKING... LOVED...THIS. LOVED IT. LOVED IT. But i will try to be as explanatory as possible in my review. but i loved it, it was amazing. please read this.

Song Choice: "My Best Friend" by Weezer for the relationship between Jules and Sophie, "Safe and Sound" by Taylor Swift featuring The Civil Wars the relationship between Sophie and Ezra and still a little bit about Jules and Sophie, and i am going to go with "Romulus" by Sufjan Stevens and while its not quite what this book is about the...more
Jasmeen
4.5 Stars

They always say not to judge a book by its cover. I’m guilty of doing just that. I don’t know what it is about a gorgeous cover that just makes me want to read a book. Most of the time I’m left disappointed. Fortunately, this time I was not.

There are so many things that I just loved about this book, that I don’t know where to even being this review. It was phenomenal. It’s been so long since I just enjoyed a book so thoroughly. I’m the kind of person who tends to pick up on the writing...more
i.
Aug 08, 2012 i. rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: teenagers who have never read about wolves before
An average school girl , a long-time crush ,a new friend and wolves. Sophie Todd's life is about to change forever during her senior year.

I liked Sophie from the very beginning, she is honest with herself and brave ,she sticks up for someone she barely knows and at the same time she is just a regular girl, sometimes awkward and clumsy.

Julie is the new girl in town, a foster teenage living with the Vardens,gorgeous and with a troubled past.

Ezra Varden , Sophie's crush,doesn't pay much attention t...more
Katie
After reading some other books in this same genre, I was pleasantly surprised with how refreshing this book was compared to other ones I have read. I was able to get into the world very easily and felt that it was believable and well-fleshed out. I liked the element of danger that the author added to this book to make it more true to its world. Also, I thought this book had a good balance of being a story about friendship through all obstacles with a love story thrown in for good measure. It tho...more
Megan Huggins
I'm usually a little skeptical of the supernatural genre, especially after my unfortunate experience with one series that involved a very sparkly vampire and a love-sick girl, but Phase is very well done. I especially enjoyed the focus of the novel, not on romance so much as the strength and importance of friendship (although I adored every second of Ezra and Sophie). All the characters are beautifully and realistically crafted, each one unique and distinctive. I loved Sophie and her adorable se...more
Chris
It's a bit strange reading a book written by a friend, however, there were plenty of times when I was able to forget about that and got wrapped up in the story. My greatest annoyance about the book is....when will I be able to read the next one! :-)
Jill
This was a really good read. I wanted to read this book because the author is a very good friend of my son and daughter -in-law. Once I started reading I was unable to put it down. Well done now I can't wait for book 2 and 3 to come out.
Daniel Jr.
So, I don't have a lot of experience w/ YA paranormal romance, but I did read a few chapters of that famous vampire series some years back, and PHASE is better written. I can forgive a lot of faults in a book, but bad writing, it seems to me, cannot be overcome. That's step one for me.

PHASE is a quick read, in part because it's very much dialogue-driven. In that respect, I was impressed by how deeply the author had imagined her characters; convincing body language constantly accompanies the conv...more
Emily Fauble
Kelani
I won this book free on the goodreads giveaways! The author autographed the book and sent me a note with a pin! Loved it and definitely get it :-) Spoiled pack princess.
The book was awesome. It was very fast paced and interesting. There were several times where I would be sitting there reading with a stupid, cheesy grin on my face. I laughed out loud many times! This is definitely a must read! There are few books that I can read again but this is one of them!!
The book is about a girl names Sophi...more
Niki
Ok...sooo... I really like this book. Really liked.

The fact that we can see the perspective of the paranormal situation through eyes of a best friend is really good. It's a new approach in YA paranormal books and I like it.

BUT.

Why has to every "deep kiss" in YA books end with "sex talk". Why, oh why? Ok, so...we are together. We have this sweet first kiss. Then next time we kiss is all hot and "deep" as they use to describe it. And then the guy says "you know, I won't force you, I will wait for...more
B. Scribe
Phase is an easy read (not to be mistaken for an easy story). The author writes natural and convincing dialogue, builds suspense throughout the novel, and treats areas of morality with a lot of tact.

Sophie is a lovely protagonist. She's also a glutton for punishment, which is endearing in light-hearted moments and maddening (in a good way) when she's hard done by. You feel for her, and cheer for her, from the very beginning.

The friendship between Sophie and Jules, alongside the paranormal elemen...more
Andrea Heltsley
The Good: The book was very well written. The author wrote a creative read while adding strong morals into the book. Sophie got good grades and never did anything wrong. Summer was a bully that Sophie puts a stop to. Juliet was a foster kid with a desire for a better life. Ezra was Sophie's high school crush and proves that good things come to those who wait.

The Bad: There wasn't any romance until the very end. There wasn't even a lot of build up. It made me kind of sad.

The Sexy: Nothing really...more
Brinda
Apr 21, 2013 Brinda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
Phase is a great story of friendship and trust. Sophie is a senior who hasn't ever had a best friend. I'm not sure why because she makes for great friend material. I'd be Sophie's friend, and maybe that's why I liked her so much. Enter the social outcast and new girl in town, Juliet. Juliet is tough, different, and a foster kid. Sophie befriends Juliet. In doing so, this puts her in direct contact with Juliet's foster family member, the crushworthy Ezra.

I enjoyed this story of friendship that a...more
Kathy
So, while I liked this one, I think it could have been a lot better. I liked the plot; Sophie befriends the new girl Juliet who happens to be living with her longtime crush Ezra. Together they are suspicious of Ezra and his friend’s weird behavior. Obviously this is a werewolf story, like the cover and synopsis didn’t give it away. I was surprised it took SO long for Sophie to figure it out though.

There were just a few things that rubbed me the wrong way and kept me from really getting behind t...more
Steffani
I was beginning to despair of finding a YA novel I could read without cringing every few seconds - whether at the bad grammar/spelling or hideously awful plot.

'Phase' was a breath of fresh air.

The protagonist was extremely likeable, the minor characters significant, and the plot a whole lot more complex than one would expect at first glance.

Thank you, E.C. You had me, hook, line, and sinker, from the first page to the last. Looking forward to the next installment!
Emenyo
OMG THIS BOOK IS SOOOOOOOO AMAZING !!!! my twin sister and i just finished reading it and we TOTALLY LUUURVE IT!! Sophie is the best female character and i would totally love to have a friend like jules(she actually reminds me of my sister) and ezra.... oh ezra *sighh* its a beautiful book and i CANT WAIT FOR THE SEQUEL.
Carly
I loved the story, and the characters. I literally could not put the book down. I read it in one sitting! I fell in love with the story, the people, everything! I highly recommend this book, and quite frequently, to everyone I know. :)
Ellie
I have read a lot of books in this genre, and it seemed like it was kinda getting old, but this book was pretty refreshing.
►Antonia ∞₪♫
This book was so good, I absolutely loved it.

~Soon, the complete review~
Kelley

Omg. Very very good YA. I loved the story and want more!
Frances
Loved it... Can't wait for the next book!!
Devin
Great book, any news on book 2?
Once Upon
Sophie Todd is your typical teenager entering her senior year of high school. She has never been part of the in crowd and she has always had a unrequited crush on Ezra Varden. She reaches out on the first day of school to a new girl, Juliet, and not because she is the new foster child of the Varden family. They have a rocky start to their friendship that starts off with Sophie stepping into the middle of a fight, to defend Juliet, that results in a painful punch to the face. As she gets to know...more
Matthew
OK, so this book started off much different than the typical lycanthrope - "phase" I guess we are calling it - book. Honestly, I was hooked immediately. The narrative and perspective of Sophie was so refreshing and I found myself devouring the first ten or chapters just to find out where the plot was heading. Actually this was the case with most of book. I can honestly say the whole read, I felt, was leading up to some monumental event, and here lies the problem.

The character development early o...more
Karin Shaim
This book was good , but it just didn't do it for me , the plot was interesting and I loved Sophie and Jules but I found many characters boring , since they didn't have any personality, especially Ezra,
therefore the romance in this book just didn't do it for me.

fee
my gosh this was brilliant.
  • Insider (Outsider, #2)
  • Charity Rising (Charity, #2)
  • The Other Fish in the Sea (Grab Your Pole, #2)
  • By the Pale Moonlight
  • Territory (Territory, #1)
  • Breaking Point (The Order of the Elements #1)
  • Into the Deep (Into the Deep, #1)
  • Reviving Bloom (Bloom Daniels, #1)
  • Sacrifice of Love (The Grey Wolves, #7)
  • Moon-Linked (The Lone March Series, #1)
  • Elemental Shining (Paranormal Public #3)
  • Shifting Pride
  • Jamb  (Cornerstone, #3)
  • Ungifted (Supernaturals, #2)
  • Primal Quest (Primal Attraction, #1)
  • Valor (Greystone, #1)
  • Pack of Lies (Red Ridge Pack, #1)
  • Silence of the Wolves (Call of the Wilderness #1)
Born and raised wherever the military sent her father, E. C. Newman is a storyteller at heart. It didn't translate into writing, however, until she found herself in Ancient History her freshman year of college, desperate to stay awake. Bringing stories alive since then in FanFiction, poetry, and original work gave E. C. the confidence to add a Writing Major to her bachelor's degree, and after a st...more
More about E.C. Newman...

“You're a ring-wearing, save-yourself-for-marriage kind of girl. I dig that.” 8 likes
“My gracefulness took a vacation this weekend?” 7 likes