Start by marking “Faster Gun” as Want to Read:
Faster Gun

Faster Gun

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  15 reviews
It's hundreds of miles from the nearest ocean, and a hundred times too big to be a ship. It looks like nothing anyone ever saw. And it's crashed just outside Tombstone with something alive inside.
Published August 8th 2012 by Tor (first published July 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Faster Gun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faster Gun

Dan Schwent
Doc Holliday and some ladies investigate some mysterious wreckage in the desert near Tombstone...

I saw this was one of the nominees for the Locus award for best short stories. Since it was free on Tor.Com, I figured I'd give it a read.

Since it's a short story, there isn't a lot I can say without giving away the best bits. All you need to know is that Doc Holliday is the main character and there are time traveling magic-using ladies and a wrecked alien ship in it.

Oh, and it's a damn good story.
Karly *The Vampire Ninja*
There are some things a person just knows. And I know that I could never do this review as much justice as my fellow Toraholic, Jess, has done HERE!

A ward line wouldn't stop a bullet - lead just didn't answer to magic - but it would keep a person out.

That being said, I cannot completely cop out behind another person's words (even when they express all the things I felt in better words than skyline my brainsphere)

Ever since first reading Bear's The Horrid Glory of its Wings I have been a little
Jess
This

Plus this

Does not always equal this

And this little shorty is proof of that.

I've been itching for a good grit lit western and while sticking with my paranormal streak, tor.com fetish, and newly found love of Elizabeth Bear, this little shorty definitely fit my mood and didnt disappoint.

Sci-fi has always been a bit of a hit or miss for me. I love alien races, dystopias, parallel universes, and interstellar politics, but sometimes the time travel and metaphysical aspects of sci-fi just make my
Tammy K.
Oct 21, 2013 Tammy K. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Western, Science Fiction, and short story readers.
This is still free on Tor.com
I was in the mood for a cowboy short and this title fit that bill.
Overall it was a decent (average) read. The mystery was a good one. The settings/scenes are vividly described. The characters could have been filled out a bit more but they work for such a short story (32 Pages).
My main complaint is this: The story is written with chapter two first, followed by chapter one.
I was wondering how this would work and here it is:
A. Hoppalong Cassidy.
Q. What do you call a f
karenbee
"That thing was a ship, Doctor Holliday. A ship that sailed between the stars."

I enjoyed this one but I didn't really understand the set-up until I read through the comments on tor.com -- and I highly recommend doing that if you also end your reading with a "Huh. Okay. Wait, what?"
Cathy
I'm not exactly sure what I think about this one. I happened to see that it was nominated for a Locus Award for best novelette in 2013. I really liked The Girl-Thing Who Went Out for Sushi, which won the category, when I read it last year. And I already read another of the stories in the category as well, The Lady Astronaut of Mars. I think that's why the category caught my eye. I didn't want to read all of the stories at this point, my nook is overflowing, but I've always wanted to try Elizabet ...more
Laurel
Aug 08, 2012 Laurel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I hope that Elizabeth Bear is testing the waters for a new series! It would certainly make an excellent adventure series with a sci if twist - great read!
Lisa

This is a story mixing the Wild West, science fiction and even a little fantasy into a nice little package. It seems that Westerns are not an unlikely pairing with science fiction elements – just see Cowboys vs. Aliens or Mike Resnick’s The Buntline Special (review). I’d place Bear’s story above The Buntline Special and somewhere in the vicinity of Cowboys vs Aliens (what, I enjoyed it!).

Read more at Starmetal Oak Reviews.
Marco
A sci-fi western time travel novellette, centered around a spacecraft crashed on Earth, just outside Tombstone, with something alive inside. I am not a fan of the Western genre, and probably because of it the story did not work for me.
Anne Wall
Combined scifi mad western interesting idea - a good read
G33z3r
"Faster Gun" is a modest short story, an alien first-contact story set in the old West featuring legendary Doc Holliday and a small delegation who were obviously much more than they appear at first glance. Nice, straightforward story-telling, well-written, with some interesting characters; but nothing really new to rave about.(This story appeared on the Tor website.)
Kate
harlequin {Stephanie}
Elizabeth Bear is a rare author to discover. More chameleon than simple writer, able to conform her writing to different genres.

The is spot on for the time period with clipped to the point writing and very literal comparisons. It is very dime store western.

Not a favorite by any stretch, but I liked the ending.
Michael
Doc Holiday and Johnny Ringo. It would be interesting to see where Elizabeth Bear takes this. I hope she gets enough response to expand this. There are so many places it could go. I certainly recommend this, and hope for more.
Alytha
Kind of Cowboys vs Aliens (or rather, some Cowboys/girls with and some against them), with some time travel thrown in.

Not bad, but not spectacular either.
Sugar
Sugar marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
pml
pml added it
Feb 17, 2015
Janis
Janis marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Chibs
Chibs marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Ran Jan
Ran Jan marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Jonnie
Jonnie marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Annick
Annick marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
karen
karen marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Alina
Alina marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Elizabeth Bear was born on the same day as Frodo and Bilbo Baggins, but in a different year. This, coupled with a childhood tendency to read the dictionary for fun, led her inevitably to penury, intransigence, the mispronunciation of common English words, and the writing of speculative fiction.

She lives in Massachusetts with a Giant Ridiculous Dog. Her partner, acclaimed fantasy author Scott Lynch
More about Elizabeth Bear...
Range of Ghosts (Eternal Sky, #1) Hammered (Jenny Casey, #1) Dust (Jacob's Ladder, #1) New Amsterdam (New Amsterdam, #1) Blood and Iron (Promethean Age, #1)