Start by marking “The Way of Things (Giants in the Land #1)” as Want to Read:
The Way of Things (Giants in the Land #1)

The Way of Things (Giants in the Land #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  26 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
There are Giants in the Land . . .

. . . and it has always been so as far as anyone can remember. They work side-by-side with the people, and whenever there is a job too difficult or a threat too great they are there to step in. The giants’ presence gives the townspeople a special confidence about life. But one morning the people discover the giants have mysteriously disapp
Published 2012 by Winepress Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Way of Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of Things

Amanda Stephan
Jul 27, 2012 Amanda Stephan rated it really liked it
We each have had giants in our lives. Perhaps it was a mother or father, maybe even a person that took you under their wing and taught you how to be better. To do better. How to set and accomplish goals. How to grow and build, love and laugh, maybe even hurt and cry in empathy.

What happens when those giants leave us? Through death, moving, or some unforeseen circumstance, those same giants that we relied upon are suddenly gone.Is our life over? Do we quit whatever we were doing and cower in fear
Lisa Johnson
Nov 03, 2014 Lisa Johnson rated it really liked it
Title: Giants in the Land: Book 1: The Way of Things
Author: Clark Rich Burbidge
Pages: 144
Year: 2012
Publisher: WinePress Publishing

Note: I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review. Follow my other reviews at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspo... and on twitter @lcjohnson1988

Have you wondered how your life would be affected if a group of people that you depended on and worked side by side with you for most of your life just left without a goodbye or explanation? That is w
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Aug 17, 2012 Patricia Kemp Blackmon rated it it was amazing
Thomas awakens to a new day not expecting the chaos that awaits outside his house and all over the township. He readies himself for another day of work in the fields with his best friend Forestmaster. His friend is a giant, for real, a real giant! Forestmaster and many of the other giants have been in the township as far back as when Thomas's grandfather was a young man. They worked right along side the people helping them to cope with life's ups and downs.

As Thomas walks outside everyone seemed
Cheryl
Nov 24, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Thomas awoke just like he did every day. Only this day was different. The giants have all disappeared. The giants helped the townsfolk by doing work. Without them, what will the townsfolk do? Thomas volunteers to do in search of the giants and bring them back.

I have never heard of this author. To be honest, if I had not had the chance to review this book, I probably still would never know about this author. This would have been a shame. Before I read this book I thought it was going to be a chi
Susan
Aug 17, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it
Swing on by my blog for the chance to enter a giveaway --- a free T-shirt!

Author Clark Rich Burbidge weaves a wonderful fantasy tale in which honor, bravery, and loyalty save the day! A delightful read for any age, Giants in the Land will have you rooting for Thomas during his adventures to distant lands on a dangerous quest ... Kudos to Burbidge for crafting a male lead truly worthy of role model status. We find in Thomas an honorable hero, who is kind-hearted and hard working. As a devoted hus
Andi Newberry ~Tubbs
Jul 29, 2012 Andi Newberry ~Tubbs rated it really liked it
Do you remember the special people in your life that had an impact on who you are? Was it a teacher? A coach? Your youth Pastor? Counselor from school, Grandparent, Mom and Dad?
What happens when the Giant in our life moves on either by circumstance or death?
Clark has written an allegory that even young kids can understand, about how keep going even without the Giant. It is also a encouraging book for adults as well. The chapters are quick and move at a nice pace.
I would recommend this as a gif
Tannia
Mar 16, 2013 Tannia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: adolescents, young adults, and families
Recommended to Tannia by: Reviewer's copy
Giants in the Land is the first installment of the series, The Way of Things, penned by award-winning author Clark Burbidge.

In Burbidge’s imagined world, humans and giants have been living together harmoniously for many generations. Then, one morning, everyone was shocked to discover that the giants had disappeared and there chaos reigned.

The mayor called a meeting and proposed to send a search team to find the giants and bring them back. Although the idea was well received, the call for volunt
Kailey
Aug 21, 2015 Kailey rated it it was ok
I liked this book pretty well! In this story, the friendly giants who have always helped the townspeople suddenly disappear, and only one man has the courage to journey into the wilds to locate the giants and find out why they left. The main character, Thomas, grabbed my attention right away, and I liked seeing him deal with each crisis as it comes up in the story, gathering courage and wisdom as he journeys along. He's a good character!

The writing is blatantly preachy, but still inspiring. I li
Missie
Jul 29, 2016 Missie rated it liked it
Giants of the Land was an cute little story of Thomas, who stands up for his town to help find the giants who have disappeared. Thomas’s town lived side by side with the giants for years, the giants helping them with tasks that seemed too big for the humans.
This story written with Christian values helps readers realize through allegory and metaphor that even though Thomas was without the giants, the lessons he learned was that he was capable of carrying on after the giants and the values his fat
Nancy
Feb 14, 2014 Nancy rated it it was amazing
A Hero's Journey

For hundreds of years giants have helped Thomas' village, but one morning they disappear. The townspeople are frantic. They can see a track showing where the giants went, but no one is brave enough to leave the village to find the giants until Thomas steps up. He doesn't want to be a hero. He doesn't want to leave his wife and daughter, but it's the right thing to do.

This tale is a true hero's journey. Thomas follows the giant's path, experiences adventures, and learns valuable
Kim Justice
Feb 19, 2014 Kim Justice rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
A really wonderfully illustrated book. I did enjoy all the graphic's, as well as reading the story. It took me back to some stories that I read growing up.

Author Clark Rich Burbridge does have a way of story telling. And if a parent would want to read it to the family, it may be a good story for that. How ever thru out the book I was wondering if it would be a little over one of my grandson's head. He will soon be 10, and a very avid reader. In the story here in Giants in the Land, I had some c
Sara Thompson
Mar 11, 2014 Sara Thompson rated it really liked it
Not a bad book. Easy chapter book for younger readers. I wouldn't recommend it for older readers just because it's a little too simple of a story.
I did feel that the book was repetitive. There's no subtlety here - the moral of the story is practically beat into the reader. Aside from that, the story line was interesting. I agree with the moral and this is a great book for your younger readers, especially if they can't sit through more than a chapter at a time.
It's a very religious book. While I
Devin Thorpe
Masterful allegory.

Burbidge's brilliant and inspiring allegory about learning to live with the heart of a giant is born a classic.

The book is one that can be appreciated by anyone from age 7 to 97! Perfectly paced and well told, the story moves the reader through time and space, transporting the reader to a place with giants in the land.

From the first page, I was drawn into the story, feeling the characters' pain and anxiety. Burbidge brings each character instantly to life, allowing the read
Clark Burbidge
Aug 18, 2012 Clark Burbidge rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Not fair because I am the author but I can say that I loved writing it because each day was a new adventure as I followed young Thomas on his journey. You can read all the reviews on my website at www.giantsinthelandbook.com and see the stunning trailer also created by Alan Peterson.
Amie Buonafina
Amie Buonafina rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Austin Wall
Austin Wall rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Chelsea Merkley
Chelsea Merkley rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2013
Karyn
Karyn rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
May 20, 2013
Elle
Elle rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Lisa
Jul 31, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it
Good for teens
Anjanette Barr
Anjanette Barr rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Alicia
Jul 06, 2012 Alicia rated it it was amazing
will be posting review on my blog soon...
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2012
Kimberlee
Kimberlee marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2012
Melanie Lutz
Melanie Lutz marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2012
R.
R. marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2013
Nani
Nani marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2013
Weston
Weston marked it as to-read
May 09, 2013
Karin
Karin marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Nancy
Nancy added it
Aug 24, 2013
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Su
Su marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Bill Tillman
Bill Tillman marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2013
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
Joelle C.
Joelle C. marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Jan Ray
Jan Ray marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Laura McMullen
Laura McMullen marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Becky
Becky added it
Nov 02, 2016
Goodreads Librari...: Please fix this series!! 7 18 Apr 23, 2015 09:36AM
Clark Burbidge's path to becoming an award winning author had distant beginnings. He received an MBA degree from the University of Southern California and a BS Degree in finance from the University of Utah. His career spans 31 years in banking, project finance, investment banking and more recently as Chief Financial Officer of three separate companies.

He has been actively involved in community an
More about Clark Rich Burbidge...

Giants in the Land (3 books)
  • The Prodigals (Giants in the Land #2)
  • The Cavern of Promise