Start by marking “Not So Happily Ever After: The Tale of King Ludwig II” as Want to Read:
Not So Happily Ever After: The Tale of King Ludwig II

Not So Happily Ever After: The Tale of King Ludwig II

Think history is boring? Then you've never met Mad King Ludwig, who inspired Walt Disney with his magnificent castle in the clouds. He ruled the German kingdom of Bavaria for twenty-two years, inspiring his people by his support for the arts. And yet, "Mad King Ludwig" rarely appeared in the capital or attended any government functions. He slept most of the day and stayed ...more
Published July 2012 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Not So Happily Ever After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not So Happily Ever After

The German Genius by Peter WatsonEarly Germanic Literature and Culture by William WhobreyBasic Theological Writings by Martin LutherGermania by TacitusGerman Philosophy 1760-1860  by Terry P. Pinkard
German History
94th out of 342 books — 183 voters
Emil and the Detectives by Erich KästnerThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Flying Classroom by Erich KästnerThe Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales by Jacob GrimmThe Robber Hotzenplotz by Otfried Preußler
Germany
23rd out of 103 books — 53 voters

More lists with this book...

Caroline
Jul 17, 2013 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: summer2013, reviewing
I don't usually read nonfiction, but, like the back says, Ludwig makes history interesting. He had such an fascinating life that it almost seems like you're reading a fiction story. There are side characters with their own interesting back stories and lives. I think it's amazing that all the records and letters still exist. Pictures are included at the start of every chapter, which add a lot to the story.

This book is very well-written. All angles are covered without too much bias towards or aga
Lou
Aug 31, 2014 Lou rated it really liked it
This book offers a great overview of the life of King Ludwig II.

I have been to Neuschwanstein twice and was eager to learn more of the 'mad' king's life. This book, unlike many history books, was easy reading and to the point.

I would recommend this to anyone who has been, or is going, to Neuschwanstein (or any other Ludwig II palace)as it really does put everything you see into context.
Alexandra
Sep 29, 2012 Alexandra rated it it was amazing
I won this as a freebie and absolutely adored this story! It's a very quick read but you learn so much in such a short time. Something, as a college student, I greatly admire. I have now read the book twice and still love it! It's a very interesting read for anyone, I highly recommend this book!
Lana
Jun 26, 2015 Lana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

That was an awesome book. Really readable and super interesting. I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it.
Sheila
Sep 04, 2016 Sheila rated it liked it
Sometimes simplistic, but overall a good book. As we're planning a trip to Bavaria, and to see Neuschwanstein Castle, this was a good book to start my background reading.
Priscilla
Jan 15, 2014 Priscilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally read books like this but, I have been interested in the 'Mad King Ludwig II' for awhile and was drawn to learning about him after seeing pictures of his castles that he had built. This book was a good fast read and I was able to complete it during one night. I like that they laid out Ludwig's life for the reader and it makes me want to learn more about him and the Wittelsbach family itself. Over all I highly recommend this book to other history lovers.
Rachel Vincent
Jan 09, 2014 Rachel Vincent rated it really liked it
Great book. Would totally recommend reading this before visiting Neuschwanstein Castle, or just reading it in general. Reading this also made me decide to change a trip to Bavaria around a bit so I could go see Linderhof Castle, which was equally fascinating. Great read out loud book option too - easy to follow along and fun to talk about as you read it.
Julie
Aug 20, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
If you want a FUN, intruiging and fast read (car ride, beach, doctor's office), this is a fantastic book. I was so interested in the crazy escapades of this King Ludwig - the things he would do are so fantastical it's hard to believe. And Susan Barnett Braun tells the tale of his life with such detail and in an engaging style that you just keep turning the pages!
Jeffrey Linden
Jan 30, 2016 Jeffrey Linden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Rollicking Good Read

Good writing, tempo and story. A brisk, concise page-turner. It needs source citations badly, however. Still, the fresh and vivid style are rewarding to the reader.
Jonelle
Jan 01, 2014 Jonelle rated it it was ok
I can't tell who the audience is supposed to be: YA? adults? There are no footnotes or parenthetical citations, and _way_ too many exclamation points. It's an easy and interesting read, but just seems like a YA biography.
Tayinnawin
Aug 04, 2014 Tayinnawin rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It was a rare decent find on Kindle Unlimited. This book gave the history and kept it entertaining. There was a lot of speculation through parts - but who cares? It made it an easy read.
Linda Buck
Aug 26, 2016 Linda Buck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

I enjoy history but this book was not boring history but interesting as a novel, I would recommend this book to readers that enjoy a variety of topics
Kathy
Mar 28, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite interesting

This book was quite interesting. Sad ending. I feel as though it should have had a better ending, but history can not be rewritten.
Lorri
Jul 12, 2014 Lorri rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
I had a difficult time figuring out what was fact and what was conjecture. A sad life, nonetheless.
Marguerite
Marguerite rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Susan
Jul 05, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jac
Jac rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Califfoto
Califfoto rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Georgina
Georgina rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Sara Ann
Sara Ann rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2016
Jane Doe
Jane Doe rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Joseph Moore
Joseph Moore rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Mlhook
Mlhook rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Lauri
Lauri rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2012
Timothy
Timothy rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Skucherer
Skucherer rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2015
Tatsumi Morizuka
Tatsumi Morizuka rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Robert Booth
Robert Booth rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2016
Megan B
Megan B rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Private School Blogger: I Need My iPhone
  • An Unusual Journey Through Royal History, Volume I (Unusual History, #1)
  • An American Guide to Britishness
  • C. S. Lewis: Writer and Scholar (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Uncommon Sense: The Strangest Ideas from the Smartest Philosophers
  • Lincoln at Cooper Union: The Speech That Made Abraham Lincoln President
  • And Some Have Greatness Thrust Upon Them
  • Spider Brains
  • The Last Princess: The Story of Princess Ka'iulani of Hawai'i
  • Freedom's Forge: How American Business Built the Arsenal of Democracy That Won World War II
  • The Swan King: Ludwig II of Bavaria
  • AngelFall Books I, II, & III - A Novel of Hell

“Most of Ludwig's excesses involved pursuits popular among Bavarians, who shared his love for hiking, drinking, and over the top decorating” 1 likes