Start by marking “More Things in Heaven” as Want to Read:
More Things in Heaven

More Things in Heaven

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  4 reviews
A revised version of THE ASTRONAUTS MUST NOT LAND (1963). It isn't every day that the impossible happens. But when it does, and you're a witness, you have to start looking for answers. The authorities won't talk. So you decide to find out for yourself. That's what Drummond did. And when he found out. it changed the universe!
Published November 1973 by Dell (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about More Things in Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Things in Heaven

John
Jan 09, 2013 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
The first interstellar space ship returns from hyperspace to our solar system, but the crew aren't brought back to Earth, and the space agency is keeping very, very quiet. Meanwhile, people are spotting the ship's crew walking around various cities, and seeing giant monsters in the sky. An ace science reporter has to get to the bottom of it.

In my opinion, Brunner is one of the consistently under-rated authors of the classic science fiction era. He always has an interesting tale, and characters w
John Xero
Three and a half stars (gotta have that half star), but intriguing and enjoyable enough to hover at the high end.

Ultimately the book is a first encounter type set-up, but far from an 'ordinary' one. There are several mysteries thrown out early on - monsters appearing in the sky, the protagonist, Drummond, seeing his brother on Earth when he hasn't yet returned from space - and the characters go on to explore these mysteries.

There is a romantic sub plot although, again, not a usual one. It's a go
Maurice Alvarez
I enjoyed this book, although I can see why some might not. I liked the concept that we had been outcast from the "real" universe for some great offense and were serving out our sentence in this pocket universe. Characters were interesting as their cultures played off each other.
Jack
First book by him I ever read... way back in 1976. Interesting concept of Alien angels.
Sérgio Amaro
Sérgio Amaro marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Spino
Spino marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Heather Carrillo
Heather Carrillo marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Quincy
Quincy marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Andrea
Andrea added it
Jan 21, 2014
Fod
Fod marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Helena Wölfel
Helena Wölfel marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The late John Brunner was perhaps as well known for much of his career in the US as in the UK. A leftwing activist, with particular connections to the peace movement, much of his best and most mature fiction is involved in a complex analysis of social trends and where they will take us--novels like Stand on Zanzibar which deals with overpopulation, among other things, and The Sheep Look Up, which ...more
More about John Brunner...
Stand on Zanzibar The Sheep Look Up The Shockwave Rider The Crucible of Time The Jagged Orbit