Start by marking “More Things in Heaven” as Want to Read:
More Things in Heaven

More Things in Heaven

3.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
A revised version of THE ASTRONAUTS MUST NOT LAND (1963). It isn't every day that the impossible happens. But when it does, and you're a witness, you have to start looking for answers. The authorities won't talk. So you decide to find out for yourself. That's what Drummond did. And when he found out. it changed the universe!
Published November 1973 by Dell (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about More Things in Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Things in Heaven

Maria Grazia
Variazione sul tema dell'origine aliena dell'uomo, in questo caso visto come angelo caduto e mandato in questo universo a purgare le sue colpe.
L'invenzione dei voli a velocità extraluce farà capire alle altre grandi razze dell'universo che l'umanità è tornata sulla scena, e resta da capire se ha imparato dai suoi errori eppure no.
Titolo italiano sparato a caso, nella migliore tradizione Urania.
L.
Sep 26, 2015 L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Brunner is an ideas writer. And while this novel is a little lighter -- and somewhat sillier -- than other of his books I've read, the idea behind it is worth considering. Focusing on the return of a spaceflight that had experimented with a new kind of drive that drew on parallel planes (or hyperspace), Brunner's book considers what might happen if such an experiment gently rent the space between the planes. The book takes some time gearing up to the big a-ha and accelerates even faster to ...more
Matthew
Aug 04, 2015 Matthew rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only picked this up because the author was mentioned inAmong Others .
Thought it might be interesting classic sci-fi. It's not.
It's amazing how limited the author's imagination was and how much he got wrong. We can build a hyperspace star ship but people still use pay phones, read newspapers, and smoke? No instant communication.

The whole story is dull with nothing happening, even at the end of the book. The aliens show up, say hello, good luck, and then leave. The end.
Amy
Apr 24, 2015 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another oddity. Two hundred pages of "unexplained phenomena!!" And then in the last ten, pretty much the biggest bombshell imaginable, then the deus ex machina says "laters" and we grapple with what would be absolutely the largest, most shattering discovery in human history.

The pacing is a little weird, is what I'm saying.

Brunner favorite theme of misogyny returns, and the whole book has a lot of ideas/loose ends that don't resolve. Compulsively readable, ultimately the sort of book I imagine t
John
Jan 09, 2013 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
The first interstellar space ship returns from hyperspace to our solar system, but the crew aren't brought back to Earth, and the space agency is keeping very, very quiet. Meanwhile, people are spotting the ship's crew walking around various cities, and seeing giant monsters in the sky. An ace science reporter has to get to the bottom of it.

In my opinion, Brunner is one of the consistently under-rated authors of the classic science fiction era. He always has an interesting tale, and characters w
John Xero
Dec 10, 2013 John Xero rated it really liked it
Three and a half stars (gotta have that half star), but intriguing and enjoyable enough to hover at the high end.

Ultimately the book is a first encounter type set-up, but far from an 'ordinary' one. There are several mysteries thrown out early on - monsters appearing in the sky, the protagonist, Drummond, seeing his brother on Earth when he hasn't yet returned from space - and the characters go on to explore these mysteries.

There is a romantic sub plot although, again, not a usual one. It's a go
Maurice Alvarez
Sep 26, 2013 Maurice Alvarez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, although I can see why some might not. I liked the concept that we had been outcast from the "real" universe for some great offense and were serving out our sentence in this pocket universe. Characters were interesting as their cultures played off each other.
Jack
Jul 29, 2010 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First book by him I ever read... way back in 1976. Interesting concept of Alien angels.
Bella
Bella marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Valerio Spisani
Valerio Spisani marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Pete Fosselius
Pete Fosselius marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Carlos Alberto
Carlos Alberto marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Tim Swanson
Tim Swanson rated it it was ok
Oct 26, 2015
Jens
Jens marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Frau_zebaoth
Frau_zebaoth marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Henrik
Henrik added it
Jun 13, 2015
Natt Cham
Natt Cham rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2016
Spino
Spino marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Jason Sheets
Jason Sheets marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Douglas
Douglas rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Ali
Ali rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Tim Strzechowski
Tim Strzechowski rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
John Brunner was born in Preston Crowmarsh, near Wallingford in Oxfordshire, and went to school at St Andrew's Prep School, Pangbourne, then to Cheltenham College. He wrote his first novel, Galactic Storm, at 17, and published it under the pen-name Gill Hunt, but he did not start writing full-time until 1958. He served as an officer in the Royal Air Force from 1953 to 1955, and married Marjorie Ro ...more
More about John Brunner...