Start by marking “Turning Points: A Journey Through Challenges” as Want to Read:
Turning Points: A Journey Through Challenges

Turning Points: A Journey Through Challenges

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,036 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
It was like any other day on the Anna University campus in Chennai. I had delivered a lecture 'Vision to Mission' and the session got extended from one hour to two. I had lunch with a group of research students and went back to class. As I was returning to my rooms in the evening the vice-chancellor, Prof. A. Kalanidhi, fell in step with me. Someone had been frantically tr ...more
Published 2012 by Harper Collins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Turning Points, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turning Points

Book'd
Sep 14, 2014 Book'd rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dr. kalam-followers, inspiration-seekers, motivation-chasers
Recommended to Book'd by: My Self-Interest
Will I be able to put in words how long I've had to wait before I could grab my copy of this book? Moreover, when its a book revealing the life of the only idol in your life and the person you so respect and value.

Few months ago, I'd read in the article on ndtv.com that Dr. Kalam was writing his next book named 'The Turning Points' and I knew I had to get the book. Simply because his books are such an abundance of experience and knowledge.

'The Turning Points' is a sequel to 'Wings of Fire' an in
Shipra Trivedi
Jul 28, 2012 Shipra Trivedi rated it really liked it
What do you do when India’s most popular former president pens a book? You quickly grab your personal copy!
Turning Points is a confession and unfurling of the unsung and uneventful past of A.P.J Kalam. The trials and tribulations he had to face and overcome to bask under the presidential glory are openly penned in pages of this novel.
Turning Points, is not just a book but an insight into the life of an eminent individual named A.P.J Kalam.
Ajay
Jul 09, 2012 Ajay rated it really liked it
I have been an avid reader in all kind of story books. But this book by Dr.Kalam has wooed my eyes when I encountered the excerpts of this book in "The Hindu". I was totally surprised with Dr.Kalam's abundance of knowledge in multitudes of field. Hailing from the scientist background, he discusses more about political and economical developments in our country. During his tenure as "president" , he has filled the vaccuum for the post , created by earlier beaureocrats. After taking the oath of pr ...more
Vivekanand Pandey
Jul 05, 2012 Vivekanand Pandey rated it it was ok
It is full of unnecessary technical details and he talks a lot about Information Technology, Bio-Informatics, Photonics, Microelectronics and Nano-Technology and stuffs like that.... I expected a little bit more material from Social-Sciences perspective - especially Politics and inside story of Functions of Rashtrapati Bhawan. I admit, Wings of Fire, Vision 2020 and even Ignited Minds were much more influential and inspirational! Its very plain and full of lectures without attractive writing sty ...more
Karthik Manohar
Jul 06, 2012 Karthik Manohar rated it it was amazing
As the title says this book is the sequel to "Wings of fire" where he continues to narrate his experiences from how he went on to become The President and how his life went from then on.This book is pretty much of an open talk where Kalam sir shares all his success,pain and controversies he faced as president.Even though this book is all about his own experiences it still doesn't fail to inspire,teach and motivate you.After all,what can you expect from someone who dedicated his entire life for o ...more
Harshini Nawarathna
Dec 27, 2012 Harshini Nawarathna rated it liked it
No matter how much science he knows, in page 134 Dr. Kalam says "We are all the creations of God".
Manish
Aug 07, 2012 Manish rated it it was amazing
This book is all about Kalam's mission India 2020 and his effort to achieve that mission when he was president... I liked this book very much as it show how he is dedicated to make India supreme guiding and capable nation...i am sure many people will gets tired just reading his work during his lifetime but Kalam never...this book helped me know what a president could do...i must say every politician (Indian) should read this book and learn what is devotion and passion to work for nation or even ...more
Kartik Singhal
Apr 15, 2013 Kartik Singhal rated it really liked it
A good book that shows the life of a President that India loved, sheds light on the decisions he made that were considered controversial and inspires the leader in one. Not a book for a casual reader, for sure, they might complain it's boring.

I feel Kalam uplifted the position of President of India with his initiatives during his tenure. Something that is a challenge to meet for any of the later presidents.

One reason I could easily read this book was because Kalam has been an inspiration to me t
Ankur Verma
Jul 29, 2015 Ankur Verma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was the evening of 28th July 2015 , when i came across a news flash relating to something about Kalam Sir, While in the process of accessing the full news ,in split seconds, a thought ran through my mind that might be Sir has reconsidered his decision of not Standing for President's Chair again.
And i was very very happy .
But soon , i was hit with fact , my gleaming face was bombarded with the harsh reality that 'He', my biggest ever motivating asset , was no more in person.

It was then , t
Jul 20, 2014 Abhishek rated it liked it
With Dr. kalam, high expectations is kind of like a packaged deal. Which might be the primary cause of this book not living up to the expectations. An autobiographical account usually is embedded with anecdotes from one's life, which he wants to share, and which he believes that someone can be benefited from. This book completely lacks that flair of wings of fire.

While one can understand in a very detailed manner the way he handled his office while he was president, the book seems to be an exten
Feb 21, 2015 Abhishek rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
I have read this books & share a good sine of this books . Dr.A.P.J.Kalam share his ideas throug his day to day
life experienced on his job or real life problems .
Thats given a positive frmae for our life.

Thanks
By
Rahul Khatri
Mar 06, 2016 Rahul Khatri rated it it was amazing
A Spell-Bounding account of a magnanimous personality !!!

Truth be told, I'm never game with biographies/autobiographies but this book turns out to be exceptionally good, breaking the myth in my own mind that biographies are somniferous in nature. Turning Points is a very well written autobioraphy which took off with the call from the then PM AB Vajapyee to Dr. Kalam informing him how he was going to name Dr. Kalam for the President in the all party meeting. The book brings together the details f
Swapnil Tembe
Aug 09, 2015 Swapnil Tembe rated it it was ok
Wings of Fire was truly inspiring and breathtaking. And that propelled me to read this sequel. In this emotional time when we are still in grief of his departure, it feels like he talks to us through his words. For someone who want to deeply understand the role and function of our Head of State, this book can come handy. For those preparing for competitive exams especially Civil Services, this book can fetch numerous points on reforms in all domains. That way, it's useful. Strictly reviewing it ...more
Sujata Sahni
I have always believed that cowards never make history, history is created by people with courage and wisdom. Courage is individual and wisdom comes with experience. The ignited mind of the youth is the most powerful resource on the earth. empowerment comes from within, no one else can give it. You become the captain of the problem, defeat the problem and suceed.

I would like to ask you what you would like to be remembered for? it could be an important contribution, an innovation or a change tha
Vikram
Mar 05, 2015 Vikram rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Very Impressive piece of Work.
Shivam Tripathi
Feb 19, 2014 Shivam Tripathi rated it liked it
'Turning points', the sequel to 'Wings of Fire'. The book content is absolutely fine. The reader will enjoy reading it. A. P. J. inscribe the seven important points in the book which changed his life, furthermore it also navigates through the timeline of his stay in Rastrapati Bhavan and the significant decision taken by Kalam to make Rastrapati Bhavan closer to masses.
It also encompasses the controversies which arouse during his tenure as President of India. The writing style of book is prefer
Jayesh Deore
Jul 28, 2015 Jayesh Deore rated it it was amazing
(Book finished- 28 July 2015, 7:04 PM)
A coincidence to remember:-
I was at the chapter ' Into the Garden' today when I came to know about APJ Abdul Kalam's passing away.
Apj Abdul Kalam was a pefect blend of Scientific and spiritual mind.
This book can be a Blueprint of India's economic- social development. After reading last 50 pages, emotionally, felt why we're not implementing large part of his suggestions -implementing those will be a great tribute to his memories.
" A great mind and a great Hea
Gautam Mohan
May 09, 2013 Gautam Mohan rated it it was ok
Author talks about his experience during his tenure as President.This book scores just an average rating as it fails to instill the energy what we normally expect from kalam's book.
Abhilash
Aug 02, 2013 Abhilash rated it it was amazing
A must read for every Indian citizen.
Mansi Bhalani
Apr 21, 2016 Mansi Bhalani rated it really liked it
Turning Points is the continuation of Kalam's autobiography Wings of Fire. This book surprisingly is not heavy on technicalities and political insights as I had expected. It covers Dr. Kalam's journey as 11th President of India and beyond. He has mentioned a lot about his vision and mission for India and the way his journey as the President has taken India a step closer to being a developed nation. This book is just as inspiring as the first one, with few instances mentioned in this book that wo ...more
Vivek
Dec 07, 2015 Vivek rated it really liked it
What can one say about a book authored by the undoubtedly talented statesman, scientist, poet and saint? An inspirational force for many generations to come, Kalam sir's description of his experiences during the presidential tenure can turn the reader's mind into the plethora of issues faced by the nation. He attempts to put down his thoughts, actions and reactions to various incidents during his tenure.
While I found it a bit hard to read initially owing to my general hesitation with autobiograp
Ankit Saxena
Turning Point is surely a turning point for Author and can be for anyone. Dr Kalam has very nicely explained the times of his as President and also told the story of how he lived his life being a President of India.
One of the most lovable President of India by every citizen without any offence. His choice as a President nominee was an unclaimed choice by every elected members of the houses of Parliament (Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha) and the Legislative Assemblies in States and Union Territories. F
Vadassery Thaiparambil Rakesh
Rameshwaram is a sleepy temple town in the southern tip of our peninsula. It comes alive during the Ram Navmis and other auspicious days, especially to remember the departed souls. The otherwise passive place has done another wonderful contribution to our heritage, than being the place which Lord Ram chose to pray to Shiv Bhagwan before he began his onslaught on Lanka. It has gifted us one of the most outstanding Ratnas of Bharat, a person who has added more credibility to the coveted prize than ...more
Ved Gupta
Oct 30, 2012 Ved Gupta rated it it was amazing
This is not exactly a review. It's what i learned about Dr. Kalam after reading Turning Points.I just finished reading Turning Points by Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, India’s Ex-President and the one of the most inspiring person on the planet. This book is a sequel to Wings of Fire by the same. This book takes the readers to the journey of Dr. Kalam as the President of India. A brief description of his last day as president is sufficient in explaining how busy and focused his tenure would have been ...more
கிராமத்தான் சரவணன்
"Turning Points: A Journey Through Challenges":

It was like any other day on the Anna University campus in Chennai. I had delivered a lecture Vision to Mission and the session got extended from one hour to two. I had lunch with a group of research students and went back to class. As I was returning to my rooms in the evening the vice- chancellor, Prof. A. Kalanidhi, fell in step with me. Someone had been frantically trying to get in touch with me through the day, he said.

Indeed, the phone was rin
Mozhi Arasu
Dec 20, 2014 Mozhi Arasu rated it really liked it
The sequel of Wings of fire, not as intense as WOF, but inspiring and thought provoking.
One of the favorite poem about courage
"
Courage to think different,
Courage to invent,
Courage to travel on an unexplored path,
Courage to discover the impossible,
Courage to combat the problems and succeed,
are the unique qualities of Youth.
As a youth of my nation,
I will work and work with courage to achieve success in all the missions. "

Awesome lines,
Sachin  Prabhu
Aug 05, 2015 Sachin Prabhu rated it really liked it
'The Turning Points' is a sequel to 'Wings of Fire'. It revolves around Dr. Kalam's mission of India 2020 and the efforts imperative to achieve it. It also involves insight into the life of Dr.Kalam,way he handled problems .how he got opportunity to inspire youth,vision of India 2020,some childhood memories, Journey across India and world. Each chapter begins with a quote which is inspiring.
A sure recommendation to everyone.
Narinder  Bhatia
Jan 27, 2016 Narinder Bhatia rated it liked it
A real gem :). Amidst the plethora of technology/ technical stuff lies nuggets of wisdom. I didn't mind reading the technical stuff because of the sincerity with which Dr. Kalam had explained it and aligned it so well to India's mission. There's so much to discover and learn in the book.

My suggestion to readers would be not to get bogged down by technical stuff (even if you don't understand it) but keep reading it for there lies so much hidden wisdom.
Akshy
Nov 22, 2015 Akshy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kalam is that ideal citizen whom all of us can try to emulate. A short book on his personal experiences, 'Turning Points' throws light on various matters he had faced, especially during his time as the President of India. His knowledge on a multitude of fields puts the reader in awe and his exemplary conduct at the Office is a high benchmark for any citizen in any organization.
Maak Desai
Sep 22, 2015 Maak Desai rated it it was amazing
Very Inspirational and 1 thing it teaches is ......to be a good human being above all. India needs a few more of KALAM's to achieve the 2020 vision and the world needs them, to achieve vision 2030.

Great man, Great thoughts, Not losing the sight of his goal even once .... whether he is the president or not, he is an immortal soul.

Best sequel,, at times better than the prequel.
Nice Book 1 1 Oct 27, 2015 09:49AM
  • Imagining India: The Idea of a Renewed Nation
  • Odyssey: Pepsi to Apple : A Journey of Adventure, Ideas, and the Future
  • Simply Fly
  • Men of Steel: India's Business leaders in candid conversation
  • Medieval India - From Sultanat to the Mughals - Part One - Delhi Sultanat (1206-1526)
  • A Better India: A Better World
  • The Edge of Desire
  • Family Wisdom from the Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
  • Pax Indica: India and the World of the 21st Century
  • India After Independence
Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam (Tamil: அவுல பகீர ஜைனுலாபதீன அபதுல கலாம) usually referred to as A. P. J. Abdul Kalam, was one of India's most distinguished scientists. He was an Aerospace engineer, professor, and chancellor of the Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), who served as the 11th President of India from 2002 to 2007. During his term as President, he was popularly ...more
More about A.P.J. Abdul Kalam...

“The ignited mind of the youth is the most powerful resource on the earth, above the earth and under the earth” 6 likes
“I have always believed that cowards never make history, history is created by people with courage and wisdom. Courage is individual, wisdom comes with experience.” 3 likes