Start by marking “Dweller on the Threshold (Beri O'Dell, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dweller on the Threshold (Beri O'Dell, #1)

Dweller on the Threshold (Beri O'Dell #1)

“DWELLER ON THE THRESHOLD is a pitch-perfect blend of witty dialog, horror, and action, with an intriguing hint of developing romance and an ending that will leave readers begging for more.”
–Jenna Black, author of the Nikki Glass series

Tagline:

On a hunt to save her sister, the last thing Beri O’Dell needs is love. Aren’t demons bad enough?

Blurb:

Beri O’Dell is investigating
Published March 26th 2013 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Dweller on the Threshold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dweller on the Threshold

Brandi
Apr 23, 2014 Brandi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Brandi by: Myself
Shelves: favorites

Well, well, well, what do we have here? A new favorite author? I’m thinking probably. I’m going to hold off on confirming that till I finish the second book in this series, but all signs point to her as being in my Big 5: Karen Marie Moning, Stacia Kane, Devon Monk, Ilona Andrews… Rinda Elliot? EDIT 5/7/14!! NO. I do NOT have a Big 5. I couldn't even finish the second book because it was terrible. Sad face.

These are the people I know with no doubts that I’d embarrass myself if I met them, I’
Julie
Feb 13, 2013 Julie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Once in a while, I pick up a first book in a new series and, once finished, want to run around the streets of my town and shout “This book was just awesome! Everybody should read this!!” This happens to me once, maybe twice a year. Well guess what? It happened after I finished Dweller on the Threshold by Rinda Elliott. And not only did I want to run through my town telling everyone about it, I wanted to run down the highway and go to the nearest city! T
Marianne
Orphaned at birth, Bergdis O’Dell was rejected time and time again by a multitude of foster families who were all too scared of her to keep her because of her strange gifts and freaky hair.

Now she is desperate to save Elsa, the only foster sister to ever love her back, unconditionally. To accomplish that, she must solve the mystery behind the mass comas that have befallen a number of people, including her sister Elsa, and find answers to questions about just who, and possibly what, she really i
Jessica
Apr 02, 2013 Jessica marked it as try-again-later
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Got to p. 124. I'm not giving up, but I am taking a break.

My first reaction to this was "I'm a little confused but it's interesting and I'm glad the author isn't info-dumping"

My next reaction was "ok, it's starting to make a bit more sense. I'm not fully engaging with any of the characters yet but it's still interesting and I like how the world is being unfolded"

Then I started wondering "How is the author going to wrap up this storyline in one book?" and checked the ending, only to discover that
Amanda Byrne
Mar 30, 2013 Amanda Byrne rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-books
Originally reviewed for and posted at Vampire Book Club:

Beri O’Dell is a monster hunter searching for answers and spending her time tramping through the Florida wetlands. When she gets a panicked call from her sister about a new creature stealing people’s souls and sending them into comas, she races back to Jacksonville to help. Problem is, by the time she arrives, her sister has fallen victim. In a race against time and with the help of a witch, a necromancer, and a gorgeous ancient warrior, Be
ParaUrban Review
Nov 07, 2013 ParaUrban Review rated it it was amazing
Dweller on the Threshold - a unique name and a very unique book. When I first read it in April after it was released I wasn't yet doing book reviews as a hobby, but I loved this story so much I had to say something! Now that Blood of an Ancient (the second book in the series) has been released, I went back to reread this one to make sure a) I didn't miss anything and b) I re-wrote a review worthy of a brilliant story.

Ms Elliott is definitely a keeper. This book grabs you from the first page and
Amanda
Jun 07, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
This was LOTS of fun! I really enjoyed the fast-paced story-line and the interesting premise of the book. I loved the blend of mythology and demonology and the main character Beri was a real winner. Powerful, conflicted and insecure Beri stands out as a really connectable MC and that Nikolos what can I say but mmmmmmmmm. This book has everything; humour, horror, action, loyalty, magic and LOVE. Very much looking forward to the next book.
October Weeks
Feb 25, 2013 October Weeks rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Dweller. The characters were rich- especially loved Blythe and Phro!- and the story pulled you right in. The only thing that kept this from being 5 stars is that at times, I had to go back and re-read paragraphs or a page because the story got a bit confusing.

I can't wait to read the next book in the series!
E_bookpushers
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2013/10/17/...

Publisher: Samhain
Publish Date: Out now
How I got this book: ARC from the author

Beri O’Dell is investigating paranormal creatures because she wants to know what she is. Taller and stronger than most men, she astral projects and can peel through dimensional layers to see the creatures and spirits beyond.

She once helped her foster sister, Detective Elsa Remington, track down killers in Jacksonville, Florida, but stopped when a n
Rachel
Mar 23, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
DWELLER ON THE THRESHOLD gives readers a kick-ass heroine who is anything but ordinary, a world that is refreshingly different, an enemy who is both deadly and a bit of a mystery and a story that has action aplenty, an intriguing puzzle and a love interest who is most definitely interesting.

Author Rinda Elliott went out of the box when creating her characters and her story. Even her title, DWELLER ON THE THRESHOLD, is atypical of stories in the genre. But it invites readers to learn more, to mee
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Jul 23, 2013 CoffeeTimeRomance andMore rated it really liked it
Beri O’Dell is taller and stronger than most men. She has the power of astral projection and the ability to peel and sift through the layers separating other dimensions. She investigates the paranormal in hope of finding out whom and what she is. In the past she has also helped her foster sister, Elsa, after a case goes wrong she chooses to isolate herself. Now there is a mysterious mass outbreak of comas, and since Elsa has fallen to it, Beri decides to help. Nikolos is an ancient Minoan warrio ...more
Llaph | No Frill | No Shill

Nikolos is an ancient Minoan warrior
Nereid
May 20, 2013 Nereid rated it really liked it
To be fair, it took a bit longer than I had hoped to finish this book but I was waylaid by life. I liked the idea of the mythology behind this story and this new series will quickly become one of my favourites. Beri is easy to like and such a great character, full of contradiction, naive in the ways of love yet street wise and world weary due to the hand that life has dealt her. She can Astral Travel as well as being able to see ghosts, two of whom are her constant companions with engaging perso ...more
Wyrdness
Eh. It was fun, but at times it seemed like just another "Very Special arse-kicking female protagonist kicks arse for love/ money/ justice" UF read. I think maybe I'm getting a little burnt out on modern UF and I either need to find some male protagonists quickly (there has to be more than just the Dresden Files, right?) or jump to a new genre for an extended holiday to recharge my enthusiasm. I wonder if I can find any fantasy style murder mysteries, like Cadfael but with more dragons and elves ...more
chucklesthescot
Feb 21, 2015 chucklesthescot rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, uf-pnr, abandoned
There wasn't really anything wrong with this book. It isn't badly written, it is not a horrific piece of fiction, there are no horrific characters or anything like that. I just couldn't get into it at all. There wasn't a great deal of action in the early stages so maybe it was just a bit slow for me. I just wasn't grabbed by the story so I didn't finish it.

I do thing that a lot of people will probably enjoy it.
Kathleen Blount
Jul 15, 2013 Kathleen Blount rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I found this novel to be delightfully different and particularly enjoyed the mixing of serial killer, demon and Greek mythos this author brought to the table. It made for a refreshing change to urban fantasy. It was very fast paced and witty and kept the reader wondering what could possibly pop out of the closet next. I enjoyed the wonderfully quirky characters, particularly Beri's guide Phro. I am looking forward to the next installment.
Traci
Mar 02, 2013 Traci rated it really liked it
Shelves: need-to-re-read
This was a refreshing read that entertains without confusing. UF is my favorite genre so I'm always excited to find a new series with a fresh story, interesting characters, and a wonderful world. I can't wait to see where this series is going. The second in the series Blood of an Ancient will be out later this year (October 2013, I think) and for me it is a must read.
Jill Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 Jill Bradley rated it really liked it
This was really fun. I really liked the characters and the world. The humor was great! I'm definitely in love with all the characters. I can't wait to read more from this author. And to see more from Beri for sure. New favorite series!
Megh
Jun 07, 2013 Megh rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this take on urban fantasy. What made this book great was the interesting combination of well understood Urban Fantasy themes juxtaposed against new elements (like god reincarnations, a karma system, etc).
Lauren
Jan 27, 2014 Lauren rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one! Already starting on book 2 (and very glad it is already out!) There were a few scenes where I kind of lost track of exactly what was happening but I think that was probably more thanks to my speed reading because I wanted to know what was happening next :)
Heidi
Apr 05, 2013 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mature teens, adults
Absoultely enjoyed this book. Loved the main character, loved the supporting cast, and loved the plot! It's an adventure, it's paranormal, its a mystery and it's certainly thrilling. Take a chance on this one.
Angela Page
Mar 17, 2014 Angela Page rated it it was amazing
Love, love, loved this story. I really got to know these characters. It was hard for me to put down, even after I read the last page.
Coyora Dokusho
Jun 02, 2013 Coyora Dokusho rated it it was amazing
IT WAS SO GOOD!!!!

realistic, fascinating characters

riveting plot

red herrings <--- sometimes I like to be kept guessing, if done well, AND IT WAS

great writing

I'mma read the next one now!!!
Jently
Jul 03, 2013 Jently rated it really liked it
A strong 4, I found the actual plot a bit hard to follow at times but I would definitely check out the next book based on the strength of the characters and my overall enjoyment.
Samantha
Apr 03, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
The creatures in this urban fantasy are a refreshing change from the normal otherworldies you encounter in this genre. A pretty good start to the series.
Shirley
Apr 09, 2013 Shirley rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!! can't wait for book two!
Vicky Capper
Jan 19, 2017 Vicky Capper rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic urban fantasy with a lot of romance - one of my favourite combinations.

Beri was a kick arse heroine - she had always been a bit different and had had a pretty crap life being moved around in foster homes as the families couldn't deal with her differences. She had a lot of insecurities but was confident in her abilities and had spent her life trying to find out who she was as she knew she had certain powers but not why. Elsa is such an important part of her life as she is the
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Mar 29, 2013 Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe) rated it really liked it
Review:

After my success with Erica Hayes Redemption, I decided to dive into another Paranormal/UF book. Dweller on the Threshold looked like an interesting blend of creepy and magical, and it was. The romance is kept on the back burner, and instead the focus is on finding and taking down the dreaded Dweller on the Threshold. There are people dropping like flies as their souls are sucked out of their bodies, demon battles galore, and an ancient Minoan warrior who possesses both brawn and good-loo
Marsha
Oct 24, 2013 Marsha rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Adult Urban Fantasy/ Mythology Lovers
When I first read the summary for "Dweller on the Threshold" I truly thought this could be a series I could really embrace. Unfortunately, while the premise was good, it was just a middle of the road read for me.

Berghis O'Dell better known as Beri was raised in one foster home to another. She has red hair with a silver streak that almost looks electric. To make matters worse, she once cut and colored her hair to look like all of the other kids but it grew back the next day. Of course, her foster
Frank Van Meer
Mar 31, 2014 Frank Van Meer rated it liked it
Shelves: demons
I think this one had potential, but it got bogged down on a lot of confusing explaining stuff.

It was also confusing in some scenes, like the hospital scene in the beginning. Why was the hospital so crowded?

Characters are introduced with a lot of hints about things which happened in the past, but none of it is really explained. The MC tells us she is killing stuff since like she was 2 years old, but in this book she gets her behind kicked in almost every fight scene and always someone else comes
Goodreads Librari...: New Cover Issued 3 25 Mar 28, 2013 11:52AM
  • Realm Walker (Realm Walker, #1)
  • Hell's Chapel (Caith Morningstar, #1)
  • Revenge is Sweet (Kali Sweet, #1)
  • Hell's Belle (Hell's Belle, #1)
  • Vengeance Borne (Sentry of Evil, #1)
  • Wicked Misery (Miss Misery, #1)
  • Elven Blood (Imp, #3)
  • Chaos Born (Chronicles from the Applecross #1)
  • Dark Dates (Cassandra Bick Chronicles #1)
  • Blood Oranges (Siobhan Quinn, #1)
  • Sleight of Hand (Bite Back, #1)
  • The Otherworld Trilogy: Faelorehn / Dolmarehn / Luathara (The Otherworld Trilogy #1-3)
  • The Zero Dog War (Zero Dog Missions, #1)
  • Diaries of an Urban Panther (Diaries of an Urban Panther #1)
  • Free Agent (Grimm Agency, #1)
  • A Cat's Chance in Hell (Hellcat, #1)
  • Misunderstood Miracles
  • Blade to the Keep (Goddess With A Blade, #2)
I write urban fantasy, paranormal romance and romantic suspense. Okay, and some space opera and post-apocalyptic menage as Dani Worth. I'm a lover of all kinds of romances! Some of mine (so far) are M/F, M/M/F and M/M.

Currently, I'm focusing on M/M romance because that's been my favorite for many years. I finally took the plunge in 2015 along with my good friend and co-writer, Jocelynn Drake. We a
More about Rinda Elliott...

Beri O'Dell (2 books)
  • Blood of an Ancient (Beri O'Dell, #2)