Start by marking “The Sometime Bride” as Want to Read:
The Sometime Bride

The Sometime Bride

Successful financier Carrie St. John has endured all the romantic disasters she thinks she can in a lifetime. That is, until her fiancé jilts her the weekend of her bridal shower. Carrie can't show up unaccompanied again and admit to her family she's a failure. When Carrie meets Mike Davis at an historic country inn, the recently ditched hottie offers to help fill the bill ...more
Published June 24th 2012 by Winter Wedding Press (first published November 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Sometime Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sometime Bride

LaFleurBleue
The only reason why this may not be my first and last book from this author is that I have another one that was offered for free, and that I might try some day. Probably not too soon.
This was a short book with 130 pages, definitely not too taxing, but neither very enthralling or compelling to read.
My perception is that the poor 32 yo girl, abandoned by her future husband, was half ready to settle with anyone willing to take and keep her, bonus point if he could stand her chubby thighs. When she
Cindy
Aug 02, 2012 Cindy marked it as to-read
From the Author
The Story Behind the Story...
THE SOMETIME BRIDE

Some years ago, I was staying at a scenic country inn in Virginia. It was a place so primed for romance, that I couldn't help but think how horrible it might feel to come to this couples' retreat only to find yourself ditched. Next, I thought, what if you weren't the only one experiencing heartache at the lovely locale? And, what if that other person had been placed there by the fates because he (or she) was precisely the right person
Renee Pinkston
Aug 11, 2012 Renee Pinkston rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
This was such a cute story to read! This ended up being a lazy Saturday morning read, which I could not make myself put down. The story starts off a bit confusing, the two main characters Carrie and Mike are both in a similar predicament and end up in the same place at the same time. The first chapter is just a bit confusing because there are two separate story lines going and they both have the same elements, so it is easy to be confused however, the two stories separate back out by the second ...more
 Gigi Ann
My Thoughts...

Today started out a sunny and beautiful day, however, around lunchtime it became a rainy day. Therefore, all I wanted was a chick-lit book to read to keep my mushy mind busy. I chose this easy and I'm sure, predictable book to read. So while the lightning flashes, the thunder rolls and the rain dances on my windows, I am cuddled up reading my afternoon away. It doesn't get better than this!!!

That was what I call a "Cotton Candy" fluffy story. It was so sweet that it just melted int
Carol
The Sometime Bride is a simply delightful book to read. It
will make you sad at times but only momentary because then
the humorous side of the story starts shining through.
Two couples unknown to each other also visit the same bed
and breakfast inn resort. Each for two related but unrelated
love reasons.
Couple number one….Mike Davis is going to propose to his
girlfriend, Alexia. Big mistake… as no way does Alexia want
to move on to a higher relationship. Alexia takes the ring Mike
presents to her an
Pam
Jun 13, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sometime Bride is a humorous romance by Ginny Baird. It was simply delightful to read.
Carrie St John had just been jilted by her fiancé Winston. He had taken her to a beautiful inn and at dinner had told her he loved someone else but wanted her to keep the ring and to enjoy the weekend at the inn. Furious and heartbroken, Carrie throws the ring into the pool. Now she has to figure out how to tell her Grandmother and aunts they will have to cancel Sunday’s shower as well as all the wedding a
Robin Malek
Love at first sight

It is an overall sweet story. Not as much actual dialogue as characters thoughts and musings. The story seemed longer than it actually was because of that. If you are looking for a story that makes you smile then this is just the book.
Dianne
Mar 30, 2014 Dianne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet little romance book. I liked the two main characters Mike and Carrie and of course Grandma Russell, who was a feisty old lady. The timeline in the story was unrealistic and at times a little ridiculous, but it was cute story. I think it would have been a good full length novel, with their relationship given more time to develop. I think this is a great in between book.
Voirey Linger
Jul 12, 2013 Voirey Linger rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried very hard to like this one. The setup was a bit cliched, but could easily make for a cute story.

Unfortunately the writing was very weak. The editing was horrible with numerous homophone errors. Eventually I was spending more time making mental corrections than following the story.

I really wanted to like this one, but it just didn't work for me.
Julie Barrett
THE SOMETIME BRIDE
Carrie St. John had just tossed her engagement ring in the pool- Wilson had broken it off with her.
This book also follows Mike Davis who is diving for his ex fiances ring in the pool and finds not his but somebody elses.
They have had their rooms paid for a s a special weekend rate and agree to just console one another and stay the night.
He planned to attend a 20th high school reunion and prove the guys wrong that he'd still be a bachelor. With his girl dumping him he'd still be
Annette
Carrie and Mike are both at the same country inn - not together. Each of them have just been dumped.

That is not an excellent way for two people to meet but it is one of the reasons this book is attractive to the reader. This is not your same old romance.

Both Carrie and Mike are charming characters who are created to be well rounded human beings. Each of them have intelligence, humor and anxieties about themselves. The secondary characters add to the texture of the story. But, most of the book d
Jacquie Talento
Feb 13, 2012 Jacquie Talento rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a cute story of two jilted people that meet and fall in love. The two happen to run into each other at an Inn and the romance begins. They both seemed to be meant for each other and fate brought them there. It’s a short story but worth reading.
Black Butterfly
Jan 07, 2016 Black Butterfly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: READCHEAPLY
I LOVED THE CRAZY FUNNY THAT SURROUNDED THE H/h IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN INSTA-LOVE BUT IT STILL WAS VERY CUTE.THE STORYLINE MIGHT HAVE BEEN A BIT CHEESY IN SPOTS AND PREDICTABLE BUT I STILL ENJYED IT. CUTE!! 'D
Katrina Epperson
Ginny Baird brings us a wonderful romance interlaced with a lot of humor. Her lovable characters will pull you into the storyline quickly with their true to life dialogue that details family and relationship concerns. I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone who loves a good romance.
She introduces us to Carrie St. John who's life many would envy, but to her it's an accumulation of years of hard work. She is a successful financier who has arrived at a historic country inn for her weeke
Laura D
Jun 03, 2014 Laura D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie is dumped by her fiance at a romantic Inn. She doesn't see it coming and is quite distraught. She chucks her engagement ring into the pool. Just then the handsome Mike Davis emerges from the water with her ring in his hand. He was at the bottom of the pool looking for the ring his ex threw when he proposed. They pose as the other person's fiance to help them save face. Can love grow when someone has been badly burned by what they thought was love? I loved it! A fun short read. The perfect ...more
Tanja Glavnik
Criminy!

Ahem.

That particular curse is probably the most hilarious I've read in a while, and I'm a voracious reader. The story in itself was sweet, if rushed. I felt like a lot of scenes just cut off in the middle without the proper explanation or round up. And I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, meaning either Mike getting upset with Carrie or Carrie getting upset with Mike. You get the idea.

It was short, sweet and to the point, but lacking some finesse. Still, it was a free ebook, so I c
Kelly
May 20, 2014 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
what a beautiful little story about two broken hearted people Carrie and Mike, Carrie got dumped by her fiance and Mike got dumped by his girlfriend who he asked to marry, Mike was in the swimming pool look for his engagement ring that he gave his girlfriend and come cross Carrie's engagement ring he tries to give it back but Carrie didn't want it back. Carrie and Mike made a plan for each other that Mike would come to her grans place and be her fiance and Carrie would go to Mike's school reunio ...more
Roberta Capizzi
Not my favorite book by Ginny Baird. To my surprise, I couldn't get hooked. I waited until the end but I simply couldn't feel it. Having read other books by this author, I have to say this book feels as if it had been written by someone else.
The characters felt a little flat. I couldn't connect with Carrie, and at times I didn't like her at all. She seemed a little too eager to get married, and the way she fell for Mike minutes after being dumped felt a little weird. I couldn't understand nor fe
Tonileg
Feb 07, 2012 Tonileg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, kindle
Contemporary romance about misunderstandings and getting over past disappointing relationships. I liked that Carrie and Mike have normal every day people names. I also enjoyed that their terrible ex-partners had posh elitist names like Wilson and Alexia (who names their children with last names for a first name anyway?) all that was missing for Wilson was a junior or III at the end of his name and I wouldn't need a physical description because I have a horribly stereotypical mindset which is onl ...more
Emma
Jul 02, 2013 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carrie St. John believes that she is going to have a wonderful weekend with her fiancé at a wonderful inn. Instead, he tells her he doesn't want to get married to her and leaves her at the inn, telling her to enjoy the weekend since it's been paid for already. She doesn't know what to do, since her bridal shower is not far off and she doesn't want to tell her grandmother who so painstakingly went above and beyond making her a great bridal shower. She is at a loss as to what to do.

Mike Davis cann
Anna
Mar 28, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie is supposed to be getting married tomorrow. But her fiance just dumped her on the eve of their wedding for someone else. Mike is supposed to be engaged now. But she just laughed in his face. While trying to find the ring she threw in the pool, he finds another, and spots the woman who threw it. Wonder what she did to the poor guy. But as they find out more about each other, they hatch a plan for him to play her fiance for her family. He wants it for real. Will this time be for real?
Bette Hansen
Feb 10, 2015 Bette Hansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a great story of two people who meet right after both have been dumped. Carrie is desperate not to disappoint her family for the big wedding shower they have planned. The problem - her finance just dumped her. Mike is a great guy but he can't seem to find that one woman. With his high school reunion on the horizon he needs a finance NOW. When Carrie and Mike meet they realize they can help each other out. Neither expects more but.........
Lynn
May 18, 2014 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie was at a week-end getaway with her finance or so she thought. But he dumped her so she was standing by the pool and dumped her ring into it. That's when Mike stood up from swimming in the pool. He was trying to find his engagement ring that his girlfriend had also tossed. What a pair they were. Both rejected Carrie had an bridal shower coming up and Mike had a class reunion. Maybe they can be pretend to be engaged for both events?
Laura Reading
Read as part of the Hearts & Kisses anthology
Two people, each jilted by their partner at a romantic get away location plan a ruse to keep from being embarrassed in front of family and friends. In enjoying each others company and getting to know about each other, to pull off the ruse, each still has a few secrets they are not willing to reveal. A modern day Gift of the Magi scenario. Remember that did not go smoothly but was true love.
Erika Daman
Feb 10, 2015 Erika Daman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can broken engagements lead to a marriage? At the Sawyer's House Inn, Mike is denied by Alexia when he proposed to her and Carrie's fiancé brought her to the Inn to leave her for another woman. However, is it fate they would find each other and live happily ever after? This was a sweet story of finding the right person, even with the heartache to get there. I liked the characters and it was very sweet, an enjoyable read.
Nov 27, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was a really quick little read. A free get-you-interested-in-the-author book from amazon/kobo- can't remember which.

I've always liked those pretend to date storylines, where they end up falling in love, so I was all over this. It was pretty good but it was short, and not too in-depth. If you like those little Harlequins you'd probably like this well enough. It's about that speed of story.
Yvonna
Nov 19, 2015 Yvonna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Afraid to communicate what they really feel

Carrie's and Mike's impetuous relationship needs more communication. Though they have recently lost other relationships, their meeting seems to be a quick fix to their current predicaments. As romance buds, they need to communicate with each other more. Each seem afraid to say what's on the heart which causes the story to stagnate somewhat.
deeann linford
Some good ideas but on the whole needs more development

A rambling story with some interesting ideas. Needs to be edited much better in several aspects of the total effort. The direction of the story line rambles too much to hold the attention of the reader well. The characters are likeable but very unrealistic. Schooling and more practice needed for the author.
Leann
May 23, 2014 Leann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was cute but a little all over the place and difficult to read. Sometimes the narrative is from the view of one of the characters and other times it's an omniscient view; there is also no smooth transition between characters, the story just goes where it goes. The story left me with zero sparks, but I'm thinking it just wasn't my cup of tea...
Pam Koenig
May 03, 2016 Pam Koenig rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Inane story

Storyline could have been good, but characters were annoying. Plots were introduced, then discarded (father's illness was just one), leads were more interested in looks . if the girl mentioned how he looked like a god rising from the water,one more time, i would have screamed. Sorry, was a waste of time for me.
  • Here Comes The Bride
  • My Man Pendleton
  • Kissing Kelli  (Texas Legacy Romantic Comedy, #1)
  • One Too Many Men
  • Her Perfect Getaway (Bridesmaids in Paradise #1)
  • Planning for Love (Aisle Bound, #1)
  • After I Do
  • Celebrity Bride
  • For Services Rendered
  • Family Honor (A Cop in the Family, #3)
  • Bon Voyage
  • Destiny Wears Spurs
  • Home for Christmas (The Perfect Gift)
  • Love's Fate (Love Trilogy #1)
  • Sex, Lies & Hot Tubs
  • Real Romance
  • WyndRiver Sinner (WesternWind, #1)
  • Bargain in Bronze (Flirting To Win, #1)
NEW THIS CHRISTMAS! The start of a brand new holiday series...
The Christmas Cookie Shop (Christmas Town, Book 1)

Romance writer Ginny Baird has published novels in print and online and received screenplay options from Hollywood for her family and romantic comedy scripts. Whether writing lighthearted romantic comedy or spine-tingling romantic suspense, she delights in delivering heartwarming storie
More about Ginny Baird...