Start by marking “The Sometime Bride” as Want to Read:
The Sometime Bride

The Sometime Bride

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  573 ratings  ·  69 reviews
Successful financier Carrie St. John has endured all the romantic disasters she thinks she can in a lifetime. That is, until her fiancé jilts her the weekend of her bridal shower. Carrie can't show up unaccompanied again and admit to her family she's a failure. When Carrie meets Mike Davis at an historic country inn, the recently ditched hottie offers to help fill the bill ...more
Published June 24th 2012 by Winter Wedding Press (first published November 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Sometime Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sometime Bride

Cindy
Aug 02, 2012 Cindy marked it as to-read
From the Author
The Story Behind the Story...
THE SOMETIME BRIDE

Some years ago, I was staying at a scenic country inn in Virginia. It was a place so primed for romance, that I couldn't help but think how horrible it might feel to come to this couples' retreat only to find yourself ditched. Next, I thought, what if you weren't the only one experiencing heartache at the lovely locale? And, what if that other person had been placed there by the fates because he (or she) was precisely the right person
LaFleurBleue
The only reason why this may not be my first and last book from this author is that I have another one that was offered for free, and that I might try some day. Probably not too soon.
This was a short book with 130 pages, definitely not too taxing, but neither very enthralling or compelling to read.
My perception is that the poor 32 yo girl, abandoned by her future husband, was half ready to settle with anyone willing to take and keep her, bonus point if he could stand her chubby thighs. When she
Renee Pinkston
This was such a cute story to read! This ended up being a lazy Saturday morning read, which I could not make myself put down. The story starts off a bit confusing, the two main characters Carrie and Mike are both in a similar predicament and end up in the same place at the same time. The first chapter is just a bit confusing because there are two separate story lines going and they both have the same elements, so it is easy to be confused however, the two stories separate back out by the second ...more
 Gigi Ann
My Thoughts...

Today started out a sunny and beautiful day, however, around lunchtime it became a rainy day. Therefore, all I wanted was a chick-lit book to read to keep my mushy mind busy. I chose this easy and I'm sure, predictable book to read. So while the lightning flashes, the thunder rolls and the rain dances on my windows, I am cuddled up reading my afternoon away. It doesn't get better than this!!!

That was what I call a "Cotton Candy" fluffy story. It was so sweet that it just melted int
Pam
The Sometime Bride is a humorous romance by Ginny Baird. It was simply delightful to read.
Carrie St John had just been jilted by her fiancé Winston. He had taken her to a beautiful inn and at dinner had told her he loved someone else but wanted her to keep the ring and to enjoy the weekend at the inn. Furious and heartbroken, Carrie throws the ring into the pool. Now she has to figure out how to tell her Grandmother and aunts they will have to cancel Sunday’s shower as well as all the wedding a
Robin Malek
Love at first sight

It is an overall sweet story. Not as much actual dialogue as characters thoughts and musings. The story seemed longer than it actually was because of that. If you are looking for a story that makes you smile then this is just the book.
Dianne
This was a sweet little romance book. I liked the two main characters Mike and Carrie and of course Grandma Russell, who was a feisty old lady. The timeline in the story was unrealistic and at times a little ridiculous, but it was cute story. I think it would have been a good full length novel, with their relationship given more time to develop. I think this is a great in between book.
Voirey Linger
I tried very hard to like this one. The setup was a bit cliched, but could easily make for a cute story.

Unfortunately the writing was very weak. The editing was horrible with numerous homophone errors. Eventually I was spending more time making mental corrections than following the story.

I really wanted to like this one, but it just didn't work for me.
Julie Barrett
THE SOMETIME BRIDE
Carrie St. John had just tossed her engagement ring in the pool- Wilson had broken it off with her.
This book also follows Mike Davis who is diving for his ex fiances ring in the pool and finds not his but somebody elses.
They have had their rooms paid for a s a special weekend rate and agree to just console one another and stay the night.
He planned to attend a 20th high school reunion and prove the guys wrong that he'd still be a bachelor. With his girl dumping him he'd still be
Annette
Carrie and Mike are both at the same country inn - not together. Each of them have just been dumped.

That is not an excellent way for two people to meet but it is one of the reasons this book is attractive to the reader. This is not your same old romance.

Both Carrie and Mike are charming characters who are created to be well rounded human beings. Each of them have intelligence, humor and anxieties about themselves. The secondary characters add to the texture of the story. But, most of the book d
Jacquie Talento
What a cute story of two jilted people that meet and fall in love. The two happen to run into each other at an Inn and the romance begins. They both seemed to be meant for each other and fate brought them there. It’s a short story but worth reading.
Katrina Epperson
Ginny Baird brings us a wonderful romance interlaced with a lot of humor. Her lovable characters will pull you into the storyline quickly with their true to life dialogue that details family and relationship concerns. I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone who loves a good romance.
She introduces us to Carrie St. John who's life many would envy, but to her it's an accumulation of years of hard work. She is a successful financier who has arrived at a historic country inn for her weeke
Laura D
Carrie is dumped by her fiance at a romantic Inn. She doesn't see it coming and is quite distraught. She chucks her engagement ring into the pool. Just then the handsome Mike Davis emerges from the water with her ring in his hand. He was at the bottom of the pool looking for the ring his ex threw when he proposed. They pose as the other person's fiance to help them save face. Can love grow when someone has been badly burned by what they thought was love? I loved it! A fun short read. The perfect ...more
Kelly
what a beautiful little story about two broken hearted people Carrie and Mike, Carrie got dumped by her fiance and Mike got dumped by his girlfriend who he asked to marry, Mike was in the swimming pool look for his engagement ring that he gave his girlfriend and come cross Carrie's engagement ring he tries to give it back but Carrie didn't want it back. Carrie and Mike made a plan for each other that Mike would come to her grans place and be her fiance and Carrie would go to Mike's school reunio ...more
Roberta Capizzi
Not my favorite book by Ginny Baird. To my surprise, I couldn't get hooked. I waited until the end but I simply couldn't feel it. Having read other books by this author, I have to say this book feels as if it had been written by someone else.
The characters felt a little flat. I couldn't connect with Carrie, and at times I didn't like her at all. She seemed a little too eager to get married, and the way she fell for Mike minutes after being dumped felt a little weird. I couldn't understand nor fe
Tonileg
Contemporary romance about misunderstandings and getting over past disappointing relationships. I liked that Carrie and Mike have normal every day people names. I also enjoyed that their terrible ex-partners had posh elitist names like Wilson and Alexia (who names their children with last names for a first name anyway?) all that was missing for Wilson was a junior or III at the end of his name and I wouldn't need a physical description because I have a horribly stereotypical mindset which is onl ...more
Emma
Carrie St. John believes that she is going to have a wonderful weekend with her fiancé at a wonderful inn. Instead, he tells her he doesn't want to get married to her and leaves her at the inn, telling her to enjoy the weekend since it's been paid for already. She doesn't know what to do, since her bridal shower is not far off and she doesn't want to tell her grandmother who so painstakingly went above and beyond making her a great bridal shower. She is at a loss as to what to do.

Mike Davis cann
Lynn
Carrie was at a week-end getaway with her finance or so she thought. But he dumped her so she was standing by the pool and dumped her ring into it. That's when Mike stood up from swimming in the pool. He was trying to find his engagement ring that his girlfriend had also tossed. What a pair they were. Both rejected Carrie had an bridal shower coming up and Mike had a class reunion. Maybe they can be pretend to be engaged for both events?
deeann linford
Some good ideas but on the whole needs more development

A rambling story with some interesting ideas. Needs to be edited much better in several aspects of the total effort. The direction of the story line rambles too much to hold the attention of the reader well. The characters are likeable but very unrealistic. Schooling and more practice needed for the author.
Leann
It was cute but a little all over the place and difficult to read. Sometimes the narrative is from the view of one of the characters and other times it's an omniscient view; there is also no smooth transition between characters, the story just goes where it goes. The story left me with zero sparks, but I'm thinking it just wasn't my cup of tea...
Florence
Romances can be difficult for some readers, because they expect to read some dreary account of heartbreak and then tumultuous affairs. Ginny Baird takesa different approach to writing romance, and it is a breath of fresh air. The humorous element to "The Sometime Bride" will keep you wanting more of the story. There is also a strong personality in the character Carrie St. John and also the chracter Mike Davis. This mysterious element leaves a reader wondering, "What is really going to happen nex ...more
Ellen
It was a cute novel.

I was annoyed by the misunderstandings over the background of Mike and Carrie and their eventual dreams because apart from showing what they were thinking it didn't really do anything in the story.

But apart from that its a really sweet novel where two people who want love and a happily ever after have continually been to quick to go there with other people meet and fall in love. And since they've both just been dumped they don't want to go into a relationship and are still li
unknown
Whirlwind romance with happy ending

two people with love problems meet by accident and have a mutual attraction. They're story is light hearted romance for easy reading. Perfect rainy day, curl up in your favorite chair and enjoy.

Sandy
This is a nice blend of humor and love story. Enjoyed every minute of it. The misconceptions and misadventures of the characters keep you laughing all the way through. Will definitely be reading more from this author.
Fox
I won this book through the first-reads program, and really found it quite enjoyable.

Carrie St. John was a very endearing protagonist, and her problems with her love interest (Mike) were very believable. Unlike some romance novels I've read, the people in this book had very real concerns regarding their careers, and Carrie St. John was not willing to sacrifice her job in order for love. She was a professional woman, and I liked the positive message that having such a protagonist sent.

The story w
Yolande
This was a fun read. I enjoyed the characters and the predicaments they found themselves in. The plot was entertaining and kept me engaged throughout. A worth-while romantic read.
Josie
What a wonderful read. Made me smile and made me yell at the characters. I throughly enjoyed this easy read and look forward to reading more by this author.
Clarke
2.7 Stars. Cute but crazy short story about luck, chance, and love. If you are looking for a sweet funny story about life and the bizarre chances it throws our way this book is for you.
Kstar0330
This was a quick sugary sweet romance story. Cute, sweet, and a chance at romance by ring tossing and being in the right place at the perfect moment. :)
Shay
A sweet romance story with likable characters. The author must have had it edited because I didn't see any errors other reviewers mentioned.
  • The Promise of Paradise (Hometown Heroes, #0.5)
  • Finding Home
  • Babies in the Bargain
  • In Search of a Love Story (Love Story, #1)
  • My Man Pendleton
  • Here Comes The Bride
  • The Morning After
  • Her Perfect Getaway (Bridesmaids in Paradise #1)
  • Relentless (Aspen, #1)
  • Secrets of the Heart (Heart Romance, #1)
  • California Man (Salt Spring Island Friends Trilogy, #1)
  • Angel Be Good
  • A Path Less Traveled (Miller's Creek #2)
  • Love Transposed
  • Love in Bloom
  • An Unlikely Match (Match, #1)
  • My Cheeky Angel (Angels with Attitude, #1)
  • Cart Before the Horse
Romance writer Ginny Baird has published novels in print and online and received screenplay options from Hollywood for her family and romantic comedy scripts. She writes touching, often humorous, contemporary romance about single women facing everyday challenges. Known for featuring holidays and family themes in her work, Ginny frequently portrays the struggles of single parents or others who've g ...more
More about Ginny Baird...
The Christmas Catch (Holiday Brides #1) Mistletoe in Maine (Holiday Brides #3) The Holiday Bride (Holiday Brides #2) How to Marry a Matador Must-Have Husband (Summer Grooms #1)