Start by marking “The Unexpected Man” as Want to Read:
The Unexpected Man

The Unexpected Man

A train compartment. A man and a woman. In a series of dazzling internal monologues, the man, a novelist, muses on his latest work, and considers life and the futility of writing. The woman thinks of her life in the full knowledge that the man she is facing is the novelist she admires and whose latest work she has tucked in her handbag.
Published October 1st 2001 by Dramatist's Play Service (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpected Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpected Man

Edgar Trevizo
Mar 29, 2015 Edgar Trevizo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my! What a splendid piece of literature! And that ending! I've been in love with Yazmina since I've watched "Carnage", by Roman Polanski. "Art" was just ok, I guess, but this one, this one, Yazmina...! You got me again. I'm yours!
M. Sarki
Aug 30, 2012 M. Sarki rated it liked it
I wasn't sure about this one until near the end when I decided I liked it very much. I believe a subsequent reading of ti would most likely result in an added star. But who knows? Not sure I will have the time for that. So much reading and so little time. But Reza certainly is a charm.
Natira
Dec 20, 2014 Natira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Ein wunderbares Stück über zwei Menschen, die sich in einem Zugabteil gegenübersitzen. Es geht nicht nur darum, ob und ggf. wie fremde Menschen in Kontakt treten. Beide reflektieren über ihre aktuelle Situation im Leben, über ihr soziales Umfeld. Und dazu geht es auch um das Schreiben und das Lesen von Büchern, was man in den Text bringt und was was daraus entnimmt.

Und David Suchet und Harriet Walter sind großartig. Ich kann mir vorstellen, dass dieses Stück als reine Eigen-Lektüre nicht so kra
Lizzie
I loved this soooooo much once.

I'm afraid it might actually be really stupid.

It's essentially a set of monologues, back and forth, which is a thing I sort of dig. Perhaps, though, I dug it more as a writing exercise than I would on a stage. (I immediately started writing a rip-off, when I read it in high school. I found it really inspiring.) I'd go to see it, sometime, and maybe, on the right Sunday afternoon, I'd read it again.
Emily
Jan 07, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
This could be interpreted as a trite concept but I found it incredibly moving. The nearness of strangers and the serendipity of interactions play to form this piece of successive and related monologues.
Corinne Wahlberg
Jan 25, 2010 Corinne Wahlberg rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
I love the idea behind this. Easy to produce, easy to stage, two wonderful actors in two chairs would be all you'd need. and perhaps a yellow suit. It's strange how readers idolize writers and how writers get so easily disenchanted with their work - so self degrading. A long time recommendation finally taken.
Selah
Apr 04, 2015 Selah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This play is very short - like a dramatized short story. It's an interesting character study of an author and a longtime fan. Beautifully read by the ah-mazing David Suchet and Harriet Walter.
Grace Turner
Aug 21, 2016 Grace Turner rated it it was amazing
I'm a little in love with this piece. A peek into the minds of two fantastic characters with so much to say (who prefer to leave everything unsaid), and an ending that left me grinning with satisfaction.
Baahaarmast
Nov 20, 2013 Baahaarmast rated it it was amazing
It Was Amazing : )

"دلم میخواد یه روز برام توضیح بدند که چرا ناغافل غصه به آدم حملهور میشه، اون هم درست وقتی که همهچی روبهراه ئه."
Gretchen
Aug 24, 2011 Gretchen rated it it was amazing
If I could give this 6 stars I would. Currently my favorite play (as read anyway) ever!
Eliana
Oct 30, 2007 Eliana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jenny, this will always make me think of you. I love this play!
Emma Anbeek
Emma Anbeek marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Ray Murphy
Ray Murphy marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Christian Lagalante
Christian Lagalante rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Mahboobe
Mahboobe marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Emily Jayne
Emily Jayne rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
Banafsh
Banafsh rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Cherry Elliott-Millar
Cherry Elliott-Millar marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Nafiseh
Nafiseh is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2016
Keerthi
Keerthi rated it did not like it
Apr 13, 2016
Asal frd
Asal frd marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Eliška Seveldová
Eliška Seveldová rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Pavla Kosarova
Pavla Kosarova marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Farnaz Ps
Farnaz Ps marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Yasmina Reza began work as an actress, appearing in several new plays as well as in plays by Molière and Marivaux. In 1987 she wrote Conversations after a Burial, which won the Molière Award for Best Author. Following this, she translated Kafka's Metamorphosis for Roman Polanski and was nominated for a Molière Award for Best Translation. Her second play, Winter Crossing, won the 1990 Molière for B ...more
More about Yasmina Reza...