Start by marking “The Blue Kind” as Want to Read:
The Blue Kind

The Blue Kind

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The Blue Kind takes place in a city where “the laws of physics are lax and everyone gets high”. For a thousand years, Alison and her two friends have been using a series of imagined intoxicants to cope with the burdens of a painful past and a world that’s slowly crumbling. The Blue Kind explores addiction and co-dependence, while set against the backdrop of a dystopian soc ...more
Published November 15th 2012 by Switchgrass Books (first published August 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Kind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Kind

Jordan Erika
Jul 26, 2012 Jordan Erika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won
I don't know what it feels like to be high, rather than perhaps the haze of being drunk magnified quite a bit. However, I feel like this book makes you feel high, or perhaps makes you feel high and having someone try to talk to you about important things while you are. I really hope that's what the author was shooting for because that's nailed perfectly.

My mind is in a fog right now. A very dense fog where I can barely see my hands held out in front of me. I'm confused and grasping for somethin
Ben
Mar 03, 2013 Ben rated it really liked it
The Blue Kind spins its tale through a druggy Sci Fi dreamscape that would make Darren Aronofsky smile.

More - http://bentanzer.blogspot.com/2013/03...
Jamie
Jul 29, 2012 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dystopia
Truly a short, fast-paced, mind-blowing read. I am fairy certain this book is a drug. Once you start reading, you can't stop - you want more. It's very easy to read the entire book in just one sitting, a few hours. It leaves you gripping at the end, not so much a cliffhanger but it leaves you with questions... your mind is seriously blown, I love how this book leaves a lot to your own imagination and it makes it easy to do so. And you almost immediately want to start over and read it again! That ...more
Jessica
Sep 07, 2015 Jessica rated it did not like it
I wish I had enjoyed this book more. While I was pulled in by the concept, the writing left me asking more questions then it answered. Characters were introduced poorly, scenes changed leaving little description of what was happening or how it happened and quite honestly, I only finished the book hoping everyone would die.
Annie
Dec 18, 2012 Annie rated it it was amazing
I've been working on images and design for a book of poems with Kathryn -- Here's a short essay I wrote about this novel, originally posted here: http://stepsisterpress.tumblr.com/pos...

Little Oceans: Kathryn Born’s The Blue Kind

Kathryn Born made a book of poems. Now I’m making some weird drawings. Soon we’ll have a book of poems with weird drawings.

In the meantime, Kathryn published her novel, The Blue Kind, through NIU press. We watch Alison, a strung-out anti-heroine clawing her way through a
Staciel
Jan 17, 2014 Staciel rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian-p-a

Midwest Book Award Winner.

This adult dystopian novel is unlike anything that I've read before... it is in a future where all many people do is get high on drugs. The main character, Alison, clearly wants more, but many times just decides to get high-- maybe because it seems easier and she sees no way out.

There were times where I wanted to put the book down because I just couldn't relate to escaping my problems like the characters in this book did, but I am glad that I hung around for the end--
Shannon
Nov 26, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Disclosure: Received free as a First Read.

I enjoyed this book, but I am not completely certain I understood it.
The writing is beautiful; lovely, lyric passages abound.
I am not quite certain if this is more a commentary on escapism via drugs versus a women's place in society, and I don't know that I grasp the ending.
However, I will read it again in hopes of a deeper understanding, whereas with many other book, if I didn't get it, I just gave up. The language, and the protagonist, are compelling.
Terence
Jul 23, 2013 Terence rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I really think this book has a lot of promise, its sets up this world that can actually be a veil of something not in the future at all. I think it does a great job of kind of riding in the distant wake of one of my favorite sci-fi books "Dhalgren" by Samuel Delaney. The drugs are creative, this playing with mortality and immortality is clever. The mindset is established of the addict and having known a few I think it really crafts that world well. Very excited to see what happens next.
Ellen Cherry Charles
It's okay, and has some good writing, but there are a lot of moments where the writing seems lazy. I liked the characters, but wasn't really sure what was going on with that whole part where Ray is Cory, and then he like disappears. That still makes no sense to me... The ending is probably the best part.
Debra
Feb 07, 2013 Debra rated it really liked it
Recommended to Debra by: Author
I enjoyed this book very much. I enjoyed the fantasy world that was created, and the characters in it. It was very surreal and held many truths of life within it. Very good book. I hope she follows up to this one! I am very thankful to have received this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.
Mitsy
Feb 23, 2014 Mitsy rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia
In this future, everybody is immortal. To pass the time, everybody does drugs. Everyday. That's all they do - get high. What is reality and what is their own drug induced fiction is anyone's guess. While the idea is different and entertaining, the ending's weak.
Chelsea
May 23, 2013 Chelsea rated it it was ok
Shelves: hiatus-abandoned
Interesting plot, but I couldn't get past the choppy dialogue. Some telling is okay, but too much of the background was being told between the characters in ways that I didn't find engaging or believable. Moving on to other things on my list.
Kya Aliana
Oct 30, 2012 Kya Aliana rated it really liked it
A purely fascinating book... it was so good, that I had to keep putting it down so I wouldn't just burn through it. A book like this is hard to come by and I can't wait to read more of Kathryn Born!
Irene Carrick
May 06, 2013 Irene Carrick rated it it was amazing
really great dystopian book about addiction. the ending is pure hitchcock, loved loved this book. very weird not for the faint at heart. :)
Le
Sep 06, 2012 Le rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am still thinking about it.
Now reading a new book, I will be thinking about this for a while.
Kathryn Born
Derek
Jan 07, 2015 Derek rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf
This is so not my cup of tea. Misogyny, drugs, and a non-ending. It was well-written but definitely for someone else.
James
James rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Teddy
Teddy marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
Vern
Vern added it
Mar 15, 2015
Allie Pisarro-grant
Allie Pisarro-grant rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Catherine Jones
Catherine Jones marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Layne
Layne marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Leyla
Leyla marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Gigi
Gigi rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
S.
S. rated it did not like it
Dec 18, 2015
Steven Spangler
Steven Spangler marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Tylar
Tylar marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
  • Eliot
  • The 5 Greatest Spankings of All Time
  • A Blazing Gilded Age
  • A Gangster's Melody 2: A New York State of Mind
  • Clear As Day (The River #2)
  • Letters From the Ledge
  • Let's Face It
  • Nine Lives
  • Take A Deep Breath
  • A Stop in the Park
  • Conner (The Athol Trilogy, #1)
  • Revamp
  • 99 Reasons to Hate Cats
  • Witch Book
  • Pot Psychology's How to Be: Lowbrow Advice from High People
  • Wanted
  • Alice's Adventures in Steamland: The Clockwork Goddess
  • Foundling Wizard (Apprentice to Master, #1)