Start by marking “Black Jesus” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Black Jesus

Simone Felice

Black Jesus

A young marine returns home from Iraq, blinded and scarred by a roadside bomb and harbouring a terrible secret. He saw something in Iraq that can never be erased and the knowledge of it is slowing driving him mad. Called Black Jesus by his fellow soldiers on account of his name being Lionel White and his birthday being Christmas Day, he has returned to his decaying home to ...more
Published March 26th 2012 (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Black Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Jesus

Jenny
Sep 16, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This short, easy to read novel is full of tragic, broken people, but oddly I felt no real sympathy for any of them. I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or not, or even if it's what the author intended. True, his writing style is very matter-of-fact, tongue-in-cheek - and rather than being a novel, this is probably more of an expose, or human study, or social study - or some bloody thing. In any event, I liked it. At least I think I did. I'm not really sure. Worth reading, if only for its o ...more
Linda
Aug 11, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book was powerful. So completely honest and moving and original. It is so poetic, I found myself re-reading some sections aloud just so I could hear them. Reading Black Jesus was definitely an afternoon well spent!
Alec
Jun 05, 2012 Alec rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars. It may not be the most advanced writing but nonetheless this book gave me goosebumps numerous times. It hits you where it hurts so good.
Melissa
Oct 28, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely wonderful. Simone is a fantastic writer.
Kathleen Dixon
Mar 03, 2017 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, united-states
The title of this book stood out when I was browsing at the library. I read the blurb and the first page, and I quite liked it, so I borrowed the book.

This is a novel about a young soldier blinded and living on a painkiller high, and a dancer aiming to be a ballerina who is viciously assaulted by her partner and gets as far away from him as she possibly can. They're both afraid - he of his dreams and of a pointless life, she of her partner tracking and finding her. But an innate kindness in them
Karo
Sep 02, 2012 Karo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I reviewed this book for alternativmusik.de, a German music magazine, but it's in German, and although I'm sure that counts, I'll just quickly say a few words about it here. Simone Felice may be a lot of people's musical hero, and probably quite rightly so, but boy, can he NOT write a novel. Black Jesus is the man's third published book, after some shorter fiction, and it's still only 200 pages long. That's just not enough space to deal with all the things Felice set out to deal with. Black Jesu ...more
Rebecca Kent
I like Simone's writing style, the reading was enjoyable. But I just didn't 'get' this book. Oh I don't mean that I didn't get his style or what he was trying to portray, I just mean the book - although beautifully written didn't leave any impression on me at all.
I will admit I found the critics sudden mental break to be a little melodramatic and pointless for my taste.
Tim
Apr 03, 2015 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the premise of the story but at such a short length there was no character development and the towns it was set in felt like movie sets.

It reads like it was written by a songwriter used to the occasional poetic line, not 180-odd pages of setting the scene.

I'd elaborate, but I feel like that'd not accurately represent the book.
JJ Aitken
Aug 16, 2014 JJ Aitken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel has been written by a poet and song writer and this talent runs through this brilliant story from beginning to end. There is actually so much I want to say about this stunningly original and simply perfect book. But I am going to leave it there. My favorite book for quite some time, thank you very much Simone Felice.
zespri
Oct 01, 2016 zespri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had no idea that the author of this book was a celebrated songwriter and poet. Maybe a good thing, as I was captivated from the first page with the author's use of language and imagery. I'm a sucker for words, words, words.

The story is simple, and charming, and all in all this was a very satisfying read for me.
Reid Nichols
I gave it an extra star because I like his music... don't get me wrong. For what it is, it's great. A short story/stream of poetic thoughts held together by almost cliche characters. Simone really shines when it comes to tone and similes.
Theimaginarygirl
It felt contrived. It was pretty predictable, yet I did like many of his characters. It was an okay read, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone.
Charley Cook
May 22, 2012 Charley Cook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out my video review on why i rated it 4/5 stars!
Charley
Susan
Jan 24, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honest and poetic
Michelle
May 26, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has just arrived in the post. The minute I finish this PGCE, it is getting read. Sounds amazing!
Frances
Dec 29, 2013 Frances rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Simone Felice's music an his writing is just as poetic. A lovely read which left me somewhat heartbroken in parts.
Gary
Gary rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2012
John
John rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Malia
Malia rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2014
Katie Slane
Katie Slane rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Camilla Whitehill
Camilla Whitehill rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2011
Rob Z
Rob Z rated it really liked it
May 21, 2013
James C
James C rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2013
Dona
Dona rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2012
Squishy Wendy
Squishy Wendy rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2014
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2014
  • I Die, but the Memory Lives on
  • The Specimen
  • Jellyfish
  • Apology for the Woman Writing
  • Peepshow (Simone Kirsch, #1)
  • Documentary Film: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Secret Book of Sacred Things
  • The Nigger Factory
  • Midsummer Nights
  • The Gypsy Goddess
  • The Witches
  • The Leaping
  • The Extinction Gambit (The Extraordinaires, #1)
  • The Best Book in the World