Start by marking “The Guardian” as Want to Read:
The Guardian

The Guardian (Scott Finn #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  712 ratings  ·  89 reviews
An ancient relic. A new threat.

When a CIA informant from Kandahar is gunned down just outside Washington D.C., special agent Jack Saunders is tasked with uncovering a plot that could alter the fate of Afghanistan.

Determined to find answers, Jack enlists the aid of Cianna Phelan, a disgraced former war hero trying to put her life back together. When Cianna's brother, Charli...more
Published August 2nd 2012 by Macmillan (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Guardian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guardian

Nick
Occasionally, Hosp's clumsiness with key details--and the attempt to drop red herrings--are obvious and telegraph the reader that s/he is being manipulated. The inclusion of too-helpful friends and colleagues, along with Finn's own loose lips about crucial information, are the marks of an inexperienced author trying to control outcomes. Hosp does not have the literary flair or style of Lehane, but this Boston mystery, overall, is exciting, well-paced and clever, ideal for the beach, and great fu...more
Andy Scattergood
This was a book that I was 'forced' to read through my monthly readers group and managed to get through it in two days whilst on holiday. Not a book I would have picked up through choice and starts, develops and ends as you would imagine for a book of this kind. Relatively straight forward plot which actually helps rather than hinders it. Dark Harbour is a but like watching a soap opera, it's fine from time to time but I wouldn't want to do it every night
Donna J
I really enjoyed the authors writing style, and his portrayal of the characters. The story kept me engaged from beginning to end!
Jack
Robin
The author is a trial lawyer from Boston, who writes his novels while commuting on the city’s cross-harbour ferry. He also does some pro bono work defending wrongly convicted individuals – ideal material for an author, clearly.

And here he has a woman who has been unfairly prosecuted by the army despite her exemplary service. Cianna Phelan is now on probation after a tour of duty in Afghanistan that ended in a prison sentence. Her routine job helping other parolees stay on the straight and narrow...more
Kunal Bhattacharya
Don’t see what you see; don’t hear what you hear. And if you’re asked, say you don’t know.” Follow this maxim in order to survive in the brutal neighbourhood of Charlestown, Boston, infamous for its mob presence. Scott Finn, who spent his youth on the streets of this violent quarter of Boston, got out to live a ‘normal’ life; and worked his way up to become a successful lawyer in the most elite law firm of Boston. Six years later he shockingly realized that the aphorism that was germane to his...more
Jim Puskas
This is the first of a series about Boston-based lawyer Scott Finn and his circle of friends, clients and enemies. At this point, he's a fast-rising associate in a big, pricy law firm although based on his background, he doesn't fit the usual ivy league pattern. In the course of his adventure, he first meets Kozlowski, who reappears as an important character in the later books. It's a somewhat formulaic crime story, beginning with a murder, incorporating some of the usual stock characters; but i...more
Edward Trujillo
I read this because it is set in Boston and I plan on visiting there some day. I think the resolution of the I'd of the serial killer ce too early in the book. The technique of listening to the serial killer rant/chant is often used by various authors in this kind of sub-genre and , I feel, perhaps more could have been devoted to this; that is, perhaps we could have met the "psycho" earlier in his killings, making itoreaabre
I liked the feel good ending; but I would like to see mote of the heroin...more
Baoyi
David Hosp is a brilliant storyteller. His characters are well fleshed out, and I love his dialogue. The Little Jack subplot is expertly weaved into the web of a larger conspiracy. Scott Finn is a character of strength, one that I can really look up to. I love the chemistry between Finn and Linda Flaherty as well. Dark Harbour is a combination of death, pain and betrayal, with a dash of romance - just how I like it. It's a thrilling page-turner for sure.
Marti
So, this is the first novel by David Hosp. It is rather good, though it is one of those where the hero ends up getting beaten to a pulp twice. How do these characters survive such treatment. Scott Finn has worked his way up from squalid beginnings to being a lawyer at a good firm with an excellent wardrobe. THere is a serial killer named Little Jack, who did NOT kill Scott's one time lover, Natalie Caldwell. Finn determines that after an interview with the serial killer. Someone who IS intereste...more
Jigar Doshi
A woman, Natalie, is murdered and is considered to be the 7th victim of a serial killer. Investigations into the case show that there is much more to it than it meets the eye.
Scott Finn, the lawyer and the friend of the deceased who was last seen with her before her murder, becomes the prime suspect.
There is also underworld connection here. Finn has to not only save himself but also find out who murdered Natalie and why!

Amazing book. A total page-turner. Full of suspense and mystery. Fast-paced...more
Judith Razee
I found another author I will enjoy reading for the pleasure of reading.
Kelly
Great book, started it thinking it was predictable but nothing happened as I guessed!
Cora Judd
kinda, sorta.... A good enough story but a perfectly repugnant, utterly superfluous torture/murder scene that sticks out in my mind like a very sore thumb as I recall the book. It didn't ring true and I'm offended as a reader that I was expected to buy in. If you're discriminating to any degree about what goes into your brain, you may want to do a little more research before choosing Dark Harbor. Some reviewers claim the outcome was too easily predicted, however, I was surprised at who the perps...more
Patricia
This is the first in the series by the author of "Among Thieves," the recent mystery about the Gardner Heist. I went back and read it because I was interested in the characters; the fact that the series is set in Boston was also a factor. The first one is good; I figured out who the "bad guy" was probably earlier than the author wanted me to but I read so much that this isn't necessarily that bad. Having read "Among Thieves" I have seen how the author's writing develops and plan to read numbers...more
Heather
A great thriller read. The story of power attorney Scott Finn who becomes a murder suspect when his rising star co-worker and former lover Natalie is found dead in the Boston Harbour. Wanted by the police and the Irish mob Scoot tries to find answers to Natalie’s death. Was she murdered by the serial killer Little Jack? Or was something far worse going on? Scott also finds himself strangely attracted to the very detective that is trying to put him away for murder - Linda Flaherty.
Sonia
Dark Harbor is a little out of my element. I'm not that crazy about cop thrillers, but it was definitely interesting and Hosp a talented writer.

The plot goes in directions you don't expect, but some of the elements were a little bit cliche (which is why I suspect I'm not crazy about cop dramas).

However, Finn and Flaherty both are likeable although maybe not as well realized as they should and could have been over a book this length.

Cathy
Entertaining, but predictable. Dark Harbor takes place in the gritty Boston of Dennis Lehane, with all the sense of depth and conspiracy of James Ellroy. Throw some Grisham into the equation and this is the novel that remains. In fact, there are too many elements that seem familiar; however, David Hosp keeps the plot moving and seamlessly ties together all the characters and events, so it never drags or seems repetitive.
Rita Brock
This was a good book that I enjoyed reading. I read the second of this series by David Hosp- Innocence, and enjoyed it as well. I'm currently on the list to get the 3rd book in the series from my library. I enjoy books that are fairly easy to read and hold my interest throughout and this was one of those. I also like being able to follow a hero/heroine throughout a series which I'm able to do with Scott FInn.
Ruth Wahtera
Jan 31, 2008 Ruth Wahtera rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any mystery lover
Recommended to Ruth by: Audible staff recommendation
Shelves: audible-download
I couldn't believe this was David Hosp's first book! This was engrossing from start to finish. Complicated characters, serial murders, hero suspected of murdering his best friend/ex-lover, Massachusetts politics. Great escapism. I had a new theory every chapter or so.

Was it perfect? No. But well worth the time invested. And quite impressive for a first book. I expect great things from David Hosp.
Sarah Long
This book was a thrilling crime novel which I flew through due to the fast paced action and relatively short chapters. I never got bored with this book and there were some great characters. What I also enjoyed was the twists and turns; when I finally thought I had figured out who the killer was, my theory was shot down. I would recommend this, and I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
A page
Everything that David Hosp has written (5 books I think so far) I have read and enjoyed. My husband has never read a book in his life and he was looking for something to do on holiday so I gave him this book as I had finished it and he could not put it down. Great read.
Barbara Bryan
I read his third book first and this is his first. I listened to it and liked it but Among Thieves was better. Scott Finn is a lawyer whose ex girlfriend and still best friend is murdered. The police think it is part of a serial murder spree but turns out she is not part of the 7 prostituted killed by religious crazy guy. Finn becomes a suspect and has to clear his name.
Suby
This is my first book by David Hosp.
The story starts out with a terrorist attack, moves on to a psychopathic serial killer than on to a murder investigation and concludes by bringing all the bits and pieces together into a coherent murder mystery.
The author is good in his narrative skills. I hope to read more of his books as soon as I can lay my hands on them.
Madhusudhan Naidu
David Hosp is a MASTER story teller & he has proved it with his debut book. Dark Harbour takes you on a pacy ride which you are going to enjoy & also admire. Conversations between characters are amazingly good if you are sucker for humor & one liners. Climax could have been much more exciting if the author had tied the loose ends. But all in all, an amazing read.
Carol/Bonadie
Love those legal thrillers set in Boston. Scott Finn is about to become partner in a top law firm when he runs into a roadblock. A friend, a woman he used to date, is found murdered, and he quickly becomes the top and only suspect. Not an unusual plot but I liked the MC, the twists and turns came at a satisfying pace, and, well, it’s set in Boston.
Carol
Language. Scott Finn is the main character. As a kid he was involved in a street gang and the mob. He was able to break free of that life and become a very successful lawyer. All goes well until a good friend is found murdered and Scott is one of the suspects. As he works to clear himself he discovers that people are not always what or who they seem to be!
Mandy Busby
Ok...I wasn't sure when it began...but I loved this book for its twists and turns. When a murder was solved early on...I thought, where are they going to go now...just bullshit filler?? But no it had me guessing till the end and when it was finished...well I wanted to read it again to see the clues I missed.
Take it on holidays and get involved!!!
I was surprised in the end how much I enjoyed this book. Having not read anything by a "lawyer turned author" before (such as John Grisham), I was not sure what to expect. The characters were good, the storyline kept me interested and if I were to come across more of his titles involving the same main character in the future, I will pick them up.
  • Falls The Shadow (Victor Carl, #5)
  • Cold Feet
  • Trace Evidence
  • Capitol Murder: A Novel (Ben Kincaid, #14)
  • Sudden Death
  • Escape (Butch Karp, #20)
  • Dreams of the Dead (Nina Reilly, #13)
  • Special Circumstances (Mike Daley/Rosie Fernandez Mystery, Book 1)
  • A Spy's Life
  • Marine One
  • The Law of Second Chances
  • Birdsongs
  • The Color of Law (Scott Fenney #1)
  • The James Deans (Moe Prager, #3)
  • No Mercy (Jonathan Grave, #1)
  • Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1)
  • The Prostitutes' Ball (Shane Scully, #10)
  • Revenge (Travis Mays, #1)
Among Thieves Innocence The Betrayed Next of Kin Innocence: 1 (Scott Finn 3)