Start by marking “First Degree (Andy Carpenter Series, #2)” as Want to Read:
First Degree (Andy Carpenter Series, #2)

First Degree (Andy Carpenter #2)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  3,402 Ratings  ·  307 Reviews
The mysterious legacy of defence attorney Andy Carpenter's late father has made him a rich man - 22 million dollars rich, to be exact. But as Andy relaxes in his office, imagining ways to spend his money, he has an unexpected visitor: a stranger who confesses to decapitating and burning a man - coolly relaying on the confidentiality of attorney-client privilege. When an in ...more
Published July 31st 2007 by Mysterious Press (first published June 2003)

To ask other readers questions about First Degree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Degree

Jim
Another good mystery & tense court room drama as Andy protects the innocent. Gardner did a great job of reading it again, too. For the most part, the mystery & evidence was pretty well done, although there was some predictability & I felt like kicking him for missing the obvious a couple of times. One thing in particular bothered me - the gas can. (view spoiler) ...more
Mary Ronan Drew
Nov 06, 2013 Mary Ronan Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Rosenfelt has again written a book that combines Paterson, New Jersey, a golden retriever, and a murder mystery and again that is a fine combination. The first book in the series, featuring defense attorney Andy Carpenter was Open and Shut. If you have not read that book, don't read any further in this review as it will reveal some things from that first story.

Ok, in the first book Andy successfully defended a man on death row in a new trial and he is now representing him in a civil suit a
David
Nov 23, 2011 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
Once upon a time I read a mystery that I solved halfway through the book simply because of a minor aside that caused me to think of the cover of the book. The cover of the book gave that mystery away-- I never finished it.. but looked to the back and found I was 100% correct. I was extremely annoyed.

The cover of this book was really cool-- and had the opposite effect of the above anecdote. The cover of the book had absolutely NOTHING to do with the mystery inside. While that is not exceptionally
Ellen
Jan 26, 2016 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Degree by David Rosenfelt.

Andy Carpenter, Paterson, New Jersey, attorney is just beginning to accept his notoriety from winning his last case when the decapitated remains of a member of the Paterson Police Dept is discovered. The body is burnt beyond recognition so DNA is required for an accurate identification. The victim is Alex Dorsey.
Geoffrey Stynes pays Andy a visit at his office. Stynes requests Andy as his attorney and they sign the standard retainer agreement which establishes cli
Maureen DeLuca
Jul 22, 2016 Maureen DeLuca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd in the Andy Carpenter series and I absolutely love it. With the 22 million left to Andy by his father Andy can choose which cases he wants to take. He is witty as hell and one of his 'loves' is his dog, Tara- and his other love is P.I. Laurie Collins. And now Andy must save Laurie, when she's framed for the murder of a cop.

To really appreciate this book- I really think you should start with the first in this series "open and shut" which was another great read.

These are quick read
Lynn
May 17, 2016 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lib-bk
Full review @ Smoke & Mirrors: http://books-n-music.blogspot.com/201.... Another amazing installment! I love Rosenfelt's writing and he always has me enthralled right up until the end!!
Erin L
Oct 05, 2016 Erin L rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, audiobooks
Review of the audiobook.

I liked this book, but it seemed a little short for what was involved. Then again, sometimes the courtroom dramas like to really drag out the suspense until they give waaaaay too much information and bore the reader to death. I definitely prefer this method. I was never bored.

I like the characters. I think Andy is pretty awesome - the defense lawyer with a heart of gold.
Joe
Sep 23, 2016 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good hook

Andy for such a lucky guy, rich, he sure gets himself in trouble a lot. What is interesting is how he gets out of it.
Karen
Jul 08, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
With the 22 million left to Andy by his father Andy can choose which cases he wants to take. For 6 months he has been turning cases down so Andy is surprised to have a Geoffrey Stynes walk into his office, admit to killing a cop, and then casually walk out.
When Andy hears who the cop is, Alex Dorsey a bad cop, he isn't all that surprised, until Oscar Garcia is accused of the murder and that isn't the person who walked into his office.
Laurie Collins, an ex-cop that worked with Dorsey now working
Victoria
This was another fun book! Some of the suspense had been removed for me since I first discovered this series by reading the first thirty or so pages of the sixth book in the series (Play Dead). Still, this was fun to read and I was pretty surprised by the way it all turned out. I really liked the way the Tara Foundation is set up and I am excited to keep reading this fun series! It is kind of like watching a TV show in some ways because of the humourous narration. Light and fun this makes for a ...more
Lisa
Jul 25, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a lot. It was better than his first book of this series as the Character of Andy Carpenter unfolded more along with his dog Tara. Also the murder plot that unfolds against his girlfriend, Laurie builds with suspense through out the whole book right to the end. I love this series as it is really just fun, easy but very entertaining reads and Andy Carpenter is a great character.
Marie
Legal thrillers are usually my first choice in the mystery field favorite but I picked up the first book in this series, "Open and Shut", on a recommendation and thoroughly enjoyed it. So, I was really looking forward to revisiting with Andy and others and this did not disappoint. I love that the dialogue is snappy and feel the courtroom scenes are well defined. I'll definitely read the next in the series.
Melanie (aka Serial Reader)
I'm beginning to really dig into DR's sense of dry humor throughout his stories, in spite of the non-humorous story line. In this novel, Andy's girlfriend Laurie is accused of murdering a cop, and everyone knows that cops hate cop-killers. So, Andy, who is in love with Laurie, puts himself on the line - literally and figuratively - to bring justice to the crime and clear Laurie of this dastardly deed.

A good, fast read, I gave it 4 stars out of 5.
Opa
Jan 20, 2016 Opa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of Rosenfelt's books that I've read on the recommendation of a friend. I have enjoyed both books and would recommend them myself. His books have been intriguing, interesting and funny. I will read the rest of his books.
Richard White
Aug 19, 2016 Richard White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Enjoyable series.
Judy
Dec 14, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first book in this series so much that I wanted to listen to the second one. Again I warmed to protagonist, Andy Carpenter and the way he uses wit and humor in the courtroom. It not often that a mystery makes me laugh, but I did laugh out loud several times. And the plot has elements of suspense that makes me not want to stop listening.
Nov 30, 2016 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
(I can't actually remember when I read this. Some time when I still had a house full of guests, but after all my employees left. :p)

I like this character. His love for his dog and his lack of regard for what other people think about him make him perfectly lovable and admirable to me. This long after I read this book, that's all I can actually remember thinking about the story.
Jeanne
Dec 22, 2016 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second of the Andy Carpenter books. I love Andy. He's a funny, funny guy. Love the dog.

Andy's lady love, Laurie is charged with murder, and Andy defends her. Courtroom calisthenics that would never fly in real life -- but who needs real life? I'm excited because there are a lot more of these for me to read!
Linda
Jan 05, 2017 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio version, which is my preferred way of reading nowadays. I give both the story and the reader an A. I'm a sucker for a good murder mystery. Throw in an attorney with a self-deprecating sense of humor who loves dogs and I'm in near reading heaven.
Tom Gorski
Jan 05, 2017 Tom Gorski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine mystery in this series. Although one knows that Laurie will be vindicated in the end the fun in Rosenfelt's stories is the process and the wry cynicism of Andy Carpenter.
Shauna
Dec 22, 2016 Shauna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again. Ok. It's easy to listen to and put down and pick up again. I'm getting attached to the characters.
Gretchen Stein
Dec 28, 2016 Gretchen Stein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series, the author is very funny. I have not laughed out loud at a book in a very long time.
Richard
Nov 18, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written with some light humour but they left a few things unfinished
Beverly
Dec 11, 2016 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is a delight: well written, fast paced, laugh out loud funny, and big on animal rescue!
Jayhawk
Dec 14, 2016 Jayhawk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
andy carpenter to the rescue
Carol
Nov 21, 2016 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the heck out of these books!
Ada Iaboni
A good read, although I was not too impressed with some of the characters.
An okay lawyer story.
Thomas Begley
Oct 18, 2016 Thomas Begley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Solid Adventure

First Degree is a first rate legal thriller. It shows that the Andy Carpenter series is legit for entertainment. I highly recommend it.
Susan Miller
Oct 11, 2016 Susan Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read. Witty and satirical. This book had me laughing out loud. A mystery with a satisfying conclusion.

Cindy
Oct 08, 2016 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: david-rosenfelt
I just chew these books up.....pardon the pun. I love the characters and how the plot twists and especially the court room dialogue. Great stuff! I will continue with this author and he has his own shelf now.
USA Geography Cha...: First Degree by David Rosenfelt 1 3 Dec 29, 2014 06:29AM
  • Hades
  • Blind Man's Alley
  • Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3)
  • Beyond Seduction (The Red Choo Diaries) (Harlequin Blaze #321)
  • For Whom the Minivan Rolls (Aaron Tucker Mystery #1)
  • A Fistful of Collars (A Chet and Bernie Mystery #5)
  • King of the Godfathers
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Sleight of Hand (Barbara Holloway #9)
  • Silent Night (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #5)
  • Rolling Thunder (John Ceepak Mystery, #6)
  • Blind Bloodhound Justice
I am a novelist with 27 dogs.

I have gotten to this dubious position with absolutely no planning, and at no stage in my life could I have predicted it. But here I am.

My childhood was relentlessly normal. The middle of three brothers, loving parents, a middle-class home in Paterson, New Jersey. We played sports, studied sporadically. laughed around the dinner table, and generally had a good time. By
More about David Rosenfelt...

Andy Carpenter (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter #1)
  • Bury the Lead (Andy Carpenter #3)
  • Sudden Death (Andy Carpenter #4)
  • Dead Center (Andy Carpenter #5)
  • Play Dead (Andy Carpenter #6)
  • New Tricks (Andy Carpenter #7)
  • Dog Tags (Andy Carpenter #8)
  • One Dog Night (Andy Carpenter #9)
  • Leader of the Pack (Andy Carpenter #10)
  • Unleashed (Andy Carpenter #11)