Start by marking “Speechless (Speechless #1)” as Want to Read:
Speechless (Speechless #1)

Speechless (Speechless #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  1,434 Ratings  ·  248 Reviews
Travis Miller has a machining job, a cat named Elwood, and a pathetic love life. The one bright spot in his existence is the handsome guitar player he sometimes passes on his way home from work. But when he finally gathers the courage to speak to the man, Travis learns that former novelist Drew Clifton suffers from aphasia: Drew can understand everything Travis says, but h ...more
Published July 18th 2012 by Dreamspinner Press (first published July 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Speechless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speechless

Nick Pageant
Aug 10, 2014 Nick Pageant rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Very quick read about two guys with some extra challenges finding love. I'm a total sap when it comes to these sorts of stories and Kim Fielding does them really well. Recommended when you've got an hour to kill and want to feel warm and cuddly.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I find psychology and brain disorders to be a very interesting field so I was immediately drawn to the premise of this book. A man with aphasia (Drew) struggling to live and find love? I'm in. And it did not disappoint. I adore how the book was told from Travis' point of view. It was interesting how we, as the readers, were left to also interpret Drew's actions. The writer didn't take the easy way out and place us in Drew's head. The book was drama-free, sweet, and very artfully done. It was ver ...more
Ami
Jul 03, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it
3.5 stars for the story and extra 0.5 stars for the refreshing physical imperfection of the characters.

Travis Miller is a machinist with one empty eye socket after an accident when mowing a lawn. Drew Clifton is a former novelist who suffers aphasia -- a language impairement; he cannot speak or write -- after a car accident. Two gentle but lonely soul who happens to meet and connect, in more than just physical. Even if the conversation is one sided (since Drew cannot speak), I still feel that t
Vio
This was so good, what I loved the most was both Travis and Drew weren't perfect or handsome, they had a bit more going for them, substance and character that made them feel more alive. Another bonus they didn't let the physical obstacles stand in the way when it came to the crunch. Oh and Elwood was adorable too bad he took a back seat to make way for the guys! Ami says it all much more eloquently in her review.
Jul 03, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

I want to hug this story and never let go.

Love, humor, T-Birds, Supernatural shout outs, and Anarchy in the UK! What’s not to love here? :D

There are so many ways to communicate in this world. Hand shakes, winks, waves, and words. Some forms just force us to look and listen a bit more than others. Words, touches, facial expressions, music, and silence. Kim Fielding’s Speechless showcases them all! A warm, open, heartfelt tale with love and romance thumping and pumping in every page, gesture, and
Sheziss
Story first, science after (only as a curiosity).

"Blessed are those who don't talk because amongst themselves they get along."

(Mariano José de Larra)

I'm getting to know Kim Fielding's style. It seems she likes to use that formula, the formula of choosing two different misfits and bringing them together. I must admit it works, as her stories are cute and warm. It was really weird because, even though I kept in mind Drew is aphasic I still forgot Travis is one-eyed. It's funny because to date, I'
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Despite what both MC's are dealing with, in Drew's case a very real physical disability that makes it impossible to keep being a writer and isolates him in society and Travis's eyepatch, shyness and recurring unemployment, this was not a angsty difficult read.
It was almost like a breath of fresh air, two pretty much normal guys, with issues, no on page sex, sweet read, but not diabetic sweet.
Bev
May 30, 2013 Bev rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All lovers of Romance, aw bless!!
Recommended to Bev by: Vladimir
This was an endearing and romantic tale, not too sugary and really cute!! 4 stars and a big from me

Not a very long book, so this will be a shortie review. The tale stars Travis, a machinist who is blind in one eye from an accident with a lawnmower (moral...wear goggles!!)and wears an eyepatch, rather like pirates of old, and Andrew (Drew), an English novelist who has aphasia and can understand but not speak or write, which is a bit of a bummer for a novelist, but we can thank his previous boyf
Vilda
Speechless was a truly sweet story! I loved how perfect Drew and Tavis were together; how everything was so natural between them! I have to say that I'm kind of annoyed at that stupid decision Travis had to make though... It took away a bit of my enjoyment for it even if the end did save it again, and I was left wanting more of their story after that long period apart!

However, I still want to recommend it. These two are worth the short time it takes to read the story; I absolutely loved seeing
Elspeth
This was a cute short story about two wounded people that find solace and love with each other.
I really enjoyed the fact that the main character didn't have a glamorous job, nor did he whine too much about the fact. He was normal and that was very refreshing.
The romance was sweet and simple, a slow tumble into love instead of the abounding piles of stories that have insta-love this was also very refreshing.
So all in all this was a great story to get over a book hangover with.
A Girl Has No Name
2.5 stars rounded up to 3

Rating Speechless feels kind of hard; I definitly liked the blurb and the whole idea behind the story.

Travis - a blue collar worker who is willing to sacrifice his personal life for his work out of fear to slip back into unemployment - finds joy in passing a handsome guitar player on his way home. He is looking forward to this particular moment of the day and is always sad when bad weather keeps the beautiful stranger away.

When he finally gives in and talks to the mys
Sofia
Aug 10, 2014 Sofia rated it really liked it

This was a beautiful short. All the angst in the story had already happened away in the past so we are left with two lonely survivors upon whom fortune smiled one day and they found each other.
Loving here means:

Drew seeing Travis, not just the façade but what Travis is inside.

And

Travis hearing Drew even though he was silent.

At first I could not understand how aphasia works, how a person could read but not write, hear but not speak. I came to an understanding of sorts by seeing that Drew had an
Bookwatcher
Jul 21, 2012 Bookwatcher rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: romantic readers
SWEEEEEEEET ROMANCE! With absolutely no angst... it's just loooooove and a remarkable couple!

The story will be told by Travis... walking home everyday after work Travis will see a man, sitting and playing a guitar... that's Drew.
After a lot of pondering (like two pages, lol) he will decide to risk... a direct contact... and... the romance will begin!

It's a short story and I read it soooo quickly. Probably because it's short, but let's not ignore also another factor... how pleasant the reading
Heller
Aug 14, 2012 Heller rated it it was amazing
I loved this story! Travis and Drew were adorable! I actually got upset close to end, no spoilers, but it was heart-breaking. This is a quick, lovely read with compelling, wonderful characters. I can't recommend this one enough. I know I'll be reading it again when I need a comfort story for those blah days!

ETA: I have to upgrade this one more star. I just read another Fielding story that was just as short but didn't quite work as well as this one. There's a lot of depth here in the characters
Deeze
Jul 19, 2012 Deeze rated it really liked it
A lovely story that focuses on human emotion.

I loved how Travis and Drew came together, and how they slowly built on their feelings. I loved that these characters felt real. I really loved how even without Drew speaking, or having as much input to this story as Travis, I still felt like I knew him.

A wonderfully uplifting story, wish it could have been longer.

It did make me nostalgic to re read Dabeagle’s free on line story with a similar theme, for those interested it can be found here
Helle
Thank you Kynthos for the gift :-) Love it <3 Merry Christmas with family, friends, love, happiness and laugh *Happy* *Hugs*

A cute story about that love will come and you will have a second chance to find love, that your disability are not a hindrance. That your soulmate will understand you in many ways and that fighting for that love, wil give you both happiness, love, family and new hope. I wish this book was longer so I could meet and see Travis and Drew some more, to hear more about who t
MishyJo
Dec 12, 2013 MishyJo rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

This was incredible and beautiful except the last page. Even though I have already read the follow up story, The Gig, I feel let down by how the ending here felt so rushed. Longer review to come once I get past the point of the ending overshadowing how wonderful the rest of the story really was.
Elsa Bravante
Un relato corto dulce y bien escrito.
T.J.
Jul 18, 2012 T.J. rated it really liked it
A pretty little gem of a story, though it could have been more fleshed out. The aphasia aspect of it never felt like a contrived plot device, but I wanted to know more about the two main characters. Kim Fielding is definitely an author to watch, given this and how much I enjoyed her previous work Good Bones.
MLE
Aug 01, 2012 MLE rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-archive, mm
A wonderful romance with two imperfect characters free of excessive angst or self pity. It was wonderful watching them grow closer together, and finding a way to share what was in their hearts.
Skye Kilaen
Feb 15, 2017 Skye Kilaen rated it really liked it
Recommended to Skye by: Amanda Jean
Such a tender little M/M love story, absolutely precious. Fielding takes two characters who in many ways feel disconnected from the world and gives them a chance at happiness together. Some reviewers wish that it was longer, because they want to spend more time with this couple, and I totally agree! Except that I can't imagine how to make it any longer! Without adding drama just for the sake of drama, that is. And lack of (manufactured) drama is one of the things I appreciated about this story s ...more
V
I love Imperfect characters and sometimes, I don't want to read about tall dark and handsome men.
Together, this imperfect couple, were flawless.
Isabel
Oct 31, 2013 Isabel rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica, m-m
Sweet, lovely and short story! Two men with physical disabilities found love and companionship! I would like to learn more about these characters!
Santy
Brilliant.

Very short and sweet and hit the spot.

No angst , just two men getting to know each other and falling in love.

Loved it.
Ilhem
Jul 08, 2013 Ilhem rated it liked it
Fluff is not my poison. Sweet and all-good turn very fast into dull and boring unless a little something makes it special.

In this regard, Drew’s and Travis’ imperfections were a nice touch and boded well for an interesting story, even though Travis’ incapacity was a little bit too much in my opinion. I mean, what’s wrong with just being plain?

Whatever. I liked their encounters in front of Drew’s porch, their first conversations, the beginning of something special in ordinary lives, the fact th
Monique
Sep 29, 2012 Monique rated it really liked it
It feels so good to be reading again, enclosed in a world that is not my own.

This book was sweet, so sweet. It made my heart sing. Both Drew and Travis were adorable together. I just wished they hadn't spent that time a apart. And my biggest complaint is that it was too short. I wanted to read more about these two. Still, it was heartwarming to watch how they interacted and how Travis' eye or Drew inability to speak never came between them. They didn't let their differences stand in the way of
Justin
Aug 22, 2013 Justin rated it really liked it
Sweet short story about two less than perfect, down to earth guys who are just perfect for one another.

I wanted a bit more in character build-up but there's a book 2 so I hope to learn more there.

I'd recommend this to anyone looking for an enjoyable, drama free, quick read.
Candice
Jul 03, 2012 Candice rated it really liked it
Recommended to Candice by: Vio
Such a nice light read that just makes you feel good after reading it. Both Drew and Travis had physical flaws, but neither of them saw that, all they saw was the person within.
DaisyGirl
3.0 Stars

Travis Miller is a machinist who lost his eye in a freak accident. Drew Clifton is a writer who suffers from aphasia. The two strike up an unlikely friendship that soon blossoms into romance. I liked this book alright. I really enjoyed both MCs but wanted to more thoroughly explore their developing romance, which brings me to my gripe: book length. This was a sweet short story but the characters were so intriguing, it left me feeling short-changed.

Bottom-line: I wish there was more real
Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn)
A 4 stars since it makes me feel good.

First off, I love how the sex was handled in this book. Makes me feel so warm and fuzzy. And I find it very sensual. I was grinning like a fool while reading it. Another thing is that I enjoyed the slow burn tender romance both the MCs had. Even when they are only doing simple things together, it delivers much feel good moments and there are plenty of such moments in this book to relish in.

The Characters:
Okay, now we talk about the main characters. Fundamen
Dreamspinner Press: Speechless by Kim Fielding 1 12 Jul 18, 2012 06:49PM
  • Ethan, Who Loved Carter
  • When One Door Opens
  • You Get Full Credit For Being Alive
  • Love Comes Silently (Senses, #1)
  • The Sound of Your Voice
  • Whitewater
  • Twelve Days (A Note in the Margin, #2)
  • Blind Passion
  • The Truth About Riley
  • Love in Plain Sight (Senses and Sensations, #2)
  • Puzzle Me This
  • Left of Centre
  • Aaron (Survivor Stories #1)
  • White-Knuckled Moments
  • I Can See For Miles
  • The Coil
  • Two Silent Cries
  • Inseparable (Inseparable, #1)
Kim Fielding lives in California and travels as often as she can manage. A professor by day, at night she rushes into a phonebooth to change into her author costume (which involves comfy clothes instead of Spandex and is, sadly, lacking a cape). Her superpowers include the ability to write nearly anywhere, often while simultaneously doling out homework assistance to her children. Her favorite word ...more
More about Kim Fielding...

Speechless (3 books)
  • The Gig (Speechless #2)
  • Travis's Birthday