Start by marking “The Memory Eater” as Want to Read:
The Memory Eater

Read Book* *Different edition

The Memory Eater

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The Memory Eater is an anthology consisting of 27 uniquely illustrated stories based on a device with the ability to locate and destroy any memory in the human mind.

Follow the story of a conflicted man who tries to become the fantasy inside his head by deleting reality. Or the story of a devastated couple who lost their child and turn to a shady Memory Eater doctor to era
Published June 19th 2012 by Hance LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Memory Eater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memory Eater

Hilary
I won this book through the first-reads program.

I really love short stories. I especially love collections of short stories that all follow around a basic theme. The Memory Eater is a truly great collection of short stories based around the central premise that a machine exists that can delete selected memories. This Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind like principle is then taken to varying extremes by the contributing authors. It's just fantastic.

Some write from the perspective of those who
Bob Simms
Jul 08, 2012 Bob Simms rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Disclosure time: Let me say first that I have contributed two stories to this anthology, so I won't include my stories in this review, even though, obviously, they're the best

Imagine a world where, for the right price, you could have selected memories simply snipped out. No surgery, no stay in hospital, as convenient as having a tooth filled but without the pain. Well, usually. Where there are no side effects, at least for most people. Where your life can be improved, or at least changed.

This an
Polenth Blake
The Memory Eater anthology is based on the premise that unwanted memories can be erased by a machine. Themed anthologies can suffer from the stories being too samey... and that was a big problem here. I read the first couple of stories, but after that, I skipped and picked a few at random from the rest. I'd hoped to see more of a range of situations, but the ones I chose all read as though they were set in near-future America, and focused on a heterosexual relationship problem. One story had a g ...more
Tiffany
Aug 31, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Matthew Hance’s collection of stories titled “The Memory Eater - Stories that Erase the Past to Save the Future” - is a awesomely wild adventure into the lives of people seeking relief from painful memories - and the misfortunes that follow them afterward. The stories range from humorous to tragic and everything in between. A uniquely fresh idea, one that I plan to read over and over! (My favorite story within: "Ask Emily" - It was tragically funny...loved the Advice Columnist). A++

Kim Charles Younkin
I'm a contributing author to this anthology; my short story is called "When Eva Braun was in Love" and focuses on the use of the futuristic memory-erasing device to change the path of the Holocaust. A unique anthology filled with stores not just in the sci-fi genre, but across all genres. There's something for everyone in it! You can buy it at www.matthewhance.com to check it out yourself!
Amanda
May 29, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
A device that can remove memories becomes an important facet of life. This anthology deals with how this would affect different people, in different ways. The black market uses, the abuses of power, and of course conspiracy theories. For the most part this anthology is interesting, thought-provoking, and at times funny. Definitely worth reading if you're a fan of the genre.
John Otte
Jul 30, 2012 John Otte rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
As a warning up front, I have a story in this book, so take this with a grain of salt. Or a boulder of one.

I really enjoyed reading the (other) stories in this book. Some were good, some were . . . well, not so much, but as of right now, I think my favorite is "Souvenirs of Another Life" by Lauren C. Teffeau. Really good stuff.
Emily Gard west
Jul 18, 2012 Emily Gard west rated it really liked it
Shelves:

I am trying to read this, but for some reason the I can't see the last few sentences on each page. Very distracting. I have read the first story, which was great, but I probably won't read any more unless it is fixed. Anyone else have this problem?
Kate Robinson
May 05, 2013 Kate Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Author Joe DiBuduo and I have a story in this collection ("Lost Memories" - the only historical piece) so I'm a bit biased! I love the theme and am finding the stories to be consistently fun, spooky, and interesting.
Teo smite
Jul 20, 2012 Teo smite rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find that Short Stories anthologies are often too hit or miss for me. This book is not that way. I really enjoyed the different takes on a central theme.
Matthew Hance
Sep 03, 2013 Matthew Hance added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Read the entire book for free at http://matthewhance.com/

Hope you all enjoy!
Chante McCoy
Chante McCoy rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Deedee
Deedee marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Tyler Kazokas
Tyler Kazokas marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Cheekylala_kindle
Cheekylala_kindle marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Sally Ember
Sally Ember marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
John Winston
John Winston marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Evangelina Caceres
Evangelina Caceres rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Timolin
Timolin marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Nicki Hanzal
Nicki Hanzal marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Sunce
Sunce marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Tami-Lynn
Tami-Lynn marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Azqi Aulia
Azqi Aulia marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Ysralblue elare
Ysralblue elare rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2015
  • Circus: Fantasy Under the Big Top
  • Heaven 2.0
  • Spin the Sky
  • The Heat of the Sun
  • Elizabeth Bathory (A Play in Five Scenes)
  • Twin-Bred (Twin-Bred #1)
  • Finder, Vol. 09: Voice
  • The Strange Tale of Hector and Hannah Crowe
  • Prepare
  • Curbchek-Reload
  • The Measure of the Universe
  • Bobby's Boy
  • Outside Context Problem (Outside Context Problem, #1)
  • Shaping Kate: Coming of Age in the 1950s