The Memory Eater
Open Preview read book* *Different edition

The Memory Eater

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  24 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The Memory Eater is an anthology consisting of 27 uniquely illustrated stories based on a device with the ability to locate and destroy any memory in the human mind.

Follow the story of a conflicted man who tries to become the fantasy inside his head by deleting reality. Or the story of a devastated couple who lost their child and turn to a shady Memory Eater doctor to era...more
Published June 19th 2012 by Hance LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Memory Eater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memory Eater

Fox
I won this book through the first-reads program.

I really love short stories. I especially love collections of short stories that all follow around a basic theme. The Memory Eater is a truly great collection of short stories based around the central premise that a machine exists that can delete selected memories. This Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind like principle is then taken to varying extremes by the contributing authors. It's just fantastic.

Some write from the perspective of those who...more
Bob Simms
Jul 08, 2012 Bob Simms rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Disclosure time: Let me say first that I have contributed two stories to this anthology, so I won't include my stories in this review, even though, obviously, they're the best

Imagine a world where, for the right price, you could have selected memories simply snipped out. No surgery, no stay in hospital, as convenient as having a tooth filled but without the pain. Well, usually. Where there are no side effects, at least for most people. Where your life can be improved, or at least changed.

This an...more
Polenth Blake
The Memory Eater anthology is based on the premise that unwanted memories can be erased by a machine. Themed anthologies can suffer from the stories being too samey... and that was a big problem here. I read the first couple of stories, but after that, I skipped and picked a few at random from the rest. I'd hoped to see more of a range of situations, but the ones I chose all read as though they were set in near-future America, and focused on a heterosexual relationship problem. One story had a g...more
Tiffany
Matthew Hance’s collection of stories titled “The Memory Eater - Stories that Erase the Past to Save the Future” - is a awesomely wild adventure into the lives of people seeking relief from painful memories - and the misfortunes that follow them afterward. The stories range from humorous to tragic and everything in between. A uniquely fresh idea, one that I plan to read over and over! (My favorite story within: "Ask Emily" - It was tragically funny...loved the Advice Columnist). A++

(Thank you Go...more
Kim Charles Younkin
I'm a contributing author to this anthology; my short story is called "When Eva Braun was in Love" and focuses on the use of the futuristic memory-erasing device to change the path of the Holocaust. A unique anthology filled with stores not just in the sci-fi genre, but across all genres. There's something for everyone in it! You can buy it at www.matthewhance.com to check it out yourself!
Amanda
A device that can remove memories becomes an important facet of life. This anthology deals with how this would affect different people, in different ways. The black market uses, the abuses of power, and of course conspiracy theories. For the most part this anthology is interesting, thought-provoking, and at times funny. Definitely worth reading if you're a fan of the genre.
John Otte
Jul 30, 2012 John Otte rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
As a warning up front, I have a story in this book, so take this with a grain of salt. Or a boulder of one.

I really enjoyed reading the (other) stories in this book. Some were good, some were . . . well, not so much, but as of right now, I think my favorite is "Souvenirs of Another Life" by Lauren C. Teffeau. Really good stuff.
Emily Gard west

I am trying to read this, but for some reason the I can't see the last few sentences on each page. Very distracting. I have read the first story, which was great, but I probably won't read any more unless it is fixed. Anyone else have this problem?
Kate Robinson
May 05, 2013 Kate Robinson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Author Joe DiBuduo and I have a story in this collection ("Lost Memories" - the only historical piece) so I'm a bit biased! I love the theme and am finding the stories to be consistently fun, spooky, and interesting.
Teo smite
I find that Short Stories anthologies are often too hit or miss for me. This book is not that way. I really enjoyed the different takes on a central theme.
Matthew Hance
Sep 03, 2013 Matthew Hance added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Read the entire book for free at http://matthewhance.com/

Hope you all enjoy!
Sanjleen
Sanjleen marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Michael Dux
Michael Dux marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Kristen W.
Kristen W. marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Derrick Schultz
Derrick Schultz is currently reading it
Jun 23, 2014
Kynthos-the-Archer
Kynthos-the-Archer marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Ilana
Ilana marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Beverly Diehl
Beverly Diehl marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Hevel Cava
Hevel Cava marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Will Pearson
Will Pearson marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Vita Dreyzin
Vita Dreyzin marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
Krisi Kopp
Krisi Kopp marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013