The Cigarette Girl

The Cigarette Girl

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  413 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Put a smart girl in Hollywood, land her a job writing screenplays for blow-em-up action stars, give her a ruinous penchant for bad boys, and reward her with a fearless determination to find "Mr. Maybe", and you have this absolutely engaging, hilariously dead-on comic novel about a maverick's pursuit of love and happiness in the wild west.
Published August 30th 1999 by Riverhead Hardcover (first published 1999)

Monika
I'm sad that I'm writing this review, because I thought it was going to be good before I finished the book.

In the first half of the book, I was seriously marking every page because there was some great line of dialog or nugget of sarcastic wisdom that I loved. I was hooked to the book and thoroughly enjoyed reading the first 2/3, maybe. In the end, though, I just kept reading to get to the next point, and then it all stopped so abruptly. It was really like the author couldn't decide how she want...more
Dutch
I just want to comment why I believe this book is actually called "The Cigarette Girl", because someone commented that they didn't get it--she didn't even smoke, thinking she was supposed to be literally a girl who smoked.

Back in the 20s/30s there were 'cigarette girls' who worked at movie theatres, and stood back and carried a tray that was strapped around them and sold cigarettes and candy. They added nothing to the film, but they were always there, and likely saw it all.

That's the main charac...more
Andrea "Drea"
"Tough-talking, hip, and hilarious." -- Entertainment Weekly. Yes, maybe to a degree? The quick one liners are great, and at some points I could even see certain women I know in Elizabeth. The portrayal of women’s relationships was spot on. There were so many things I really enjoyed about this book. Even the level-one crush. But in the end it just made me sad. Not because I need a sugary happy ending, but because I felt like Elizabeth in the end was in the same place she started when the story...more
Sharon
Two and a half stars. I liked the way the author formatted parts of the novel like a screenplay and SOME of the author's observations about coupling are genuine. The story itself = UGH! The lead character crushes over, pursues and sleeps with men who are in relationships, but disapproves of men who do the same thing. It's a love story WITHOUT the love and self-esteem.
Nancy Wait
I loved it! I think it's the first Chic Lit book I've ever read - and I sure needed a dose. I think how one feels about this book might have a little to do with one's age - I'm middle-aged - and I needed to read what words young women today - okay, 1998, still very current - are using. It's amazing how free it's become.
I'm currently writing memoir about when I was in my 20s - back in the 70s, and I was getting really stuck over how much to tell and how to tell it, vis-a-vis sex scenes. I could...more
Katie
This book, despite not being my sort of thing, started out quite well. The dialogue was reasonably witty and, although there's no substance to this book at all, it was light and frothy and quite entertaining. Unfortunately it soon went flat as the sharp one-liners gave way to hormone-laden hand-wringing about finding the right man. Not only the ending but a good three quarters of the book were completely dissatisfying.

I objected to the style of writing, which, aside from the aforementioned witty...more
Stephanie Ziegler
Aug 21, 2012 Stephanie Ziegler rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: From the Dust Jacket
Shelves: i-bought
I picked up this book because the description on the dust cover sounded just like me and my friends who have now entered into “the zone”. Elizabeth tells it like it is. She’s open and honest and does not hold anything back. Reading the book felt like I was talking to my best friend.

I liked this book because every girl wants to change her Mr. Maybe to her Mr. Forever (even though deep down we know we cannot change men). We all have crushes we fantasize about. We all feel like we have to follow th...more
Jane
I read a solid 90 pages of this book, and then I couldn't take it anymore. I thought the main character would be sassy and fun, like the lead in a solid film noir, but with a dirtier mouth as she's a writer for action flicks in L.A. Instead it was just a grittier, more foul language version of a standard chic flick, lots of insecure flailing about with different men and not a whole lot of character development, or much of a character to begin with. I couldn't identify and found her whiny, so I s...more
Monica Alexander
This book will always have a special place on my bookshelves because it was my first foray into Chick-Lit when I read it back in 2000. It completely delivered, and I got hooked on the genre. I still love the gritty feel of life in L.A. portrayed in this book, and I enjoyed that the main character thought like a guy and didn't apologize for it. She wasn't your typical romantic heroine, and I think that made her more relatable because everything wasn't wrapped up in a big bow, just like in real li...more
Kat A
Great novel. Fresh (even though it was written in 1998!) and fun, with a non traditional heroine. My type of chick lit, without a doubt. Loved the insider knowledge of what Hollywood is all about, and loved that Elizabeth was looking for Mr. Maybe instead of the picket fence deal. It reminded me a little of The Personal Assistant that I read a year or so back, but with much spunkier characters. Great light read, highly recommend it!
Grace
Total chick book and somewhat relate-able for those of us in "the zone" (women between the ages of twenty-eight and thirty-five, trying to resolve the marriage/baby issues). Can't say its entirely empowering to women, but it does attempt to challenge societal expectations. Fun also because the story is based in LA and highlights local characters and hotspots.
Caitlyn Gambino
I got this book on a whim at a used book store for 1 pound in Greenwich England because I needed something to read on the plane ride home and had run out of books I had brought with me. I finished it on the plane, so I will give it credit for being a page-turner, but no real substance to the plot. Served it's purpose.
Coty
I found this book in a dumpster one night and thought the cover was interesting. About 5 pages in I realized it was chick-lit but figured I would finish it anyway. The Cigarette Girl has witty and fun dialogue and a lot of heart. Pretty fun read for a book I found in the trash.
Abby
Feb 09, 2008 Abby rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: no one.
Shelves: chicklit
I usually read chick lit expecting fluff and/ or tearjerkers. Some I really enjoy, but this one just left me flat. It's fluff, but none of the characters were all that appealing to me, so I wasn't particularly interested.
Hilary
The story was ok... I am not exactly sure where the title came from, it was not really tied into the book. Also, the cover picture was very strange and also did not seem to have anything to do with the book.
Melinda
Although I loathe chick lit, if a book is gifted to me I always read it. This one was a decent read, with a main character I could identify with more than say, someone in a Jennifer Weiner book.
Carmela
Jul 16, 2007 Carmela rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: chick lit readers
I picked this book up off one of those tables in the middle of borders. It was a great choice. Easy to read with a bit of sarcasm and straight shooting. A little vapid, but fun for poolside reading.
Susan
This falls into the category of chick-lit that doesn't want to be chick-lit. The author tried, but it was still a pretty predictable story and I couldn't get invested in the characters.
Kelly Murray
This was a fun, entertaining book. I hope that when I'm 28-35 years old, I can think about more than JUST trying to find a husband so I can reproduce. Guess I'll have to wait and see...
Carrie
Not worth mine or anyone's time. Glad I only paid 50 cents for this at a book sale.

Too many characters, no solid plot, annoying 'scripting', truncated ending.
Rebekkila
Oct 26, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Sonia Reppe
I just didn't get why this was called the "cigarette girl." The protagonist is a 28-yr-old Hollywood screenwriter. Chic lit, but more deep.
Lily Divino
This I found much better than Bridget Jones which I thought was annoying. This one was more relatable and believable.
Cassandra
Very good out of my comfort zone since still read teen books but this adult bookd was quite good. ;) LOVED IT!
Kim Ehrenhaft
I thought this books was OK, not great. I'm not sorry I read it, but wouldn't necessarily recommend it.
Elk
A fun, nothing about, lay out in the sun with your Wyfarer glasses on, girl-read.
Julie-Beth
Decent enough book for what it is - the anti-chick flick, chick flick in literary form.
Fehr
Feb 08, 2008 Fehr rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: noo, que van a pensar en mi.
Recommended to Fehr by: lo vi y lo compré en una barata del super
Es interesante escuchar los sentimientos e ideas de una mujer sincera con ella misma.
Edwina Hall Callan
I read this book in 2007.

It was an ok read but I don't really remember much about it.
Utter, utter tripe. Fooled by the cool looking cover and the blurbs. DNF.
  • Cat's Meow
  • Pieces of You
  • American Knees
  • The Lost Daughter of Happiness: A Novel
  • Ryan White: My Own Story
  • I Wish I Had a Red Dress (Idlewild #2)
  • Crashers
Anne of Hollywood Secret Celebrity Mr. Famous Adapt or Wait Tables: A Freelancer's Guide to Keeping Your Cool When No One Would Blame You for Losing Your Mind Mal oben, mal unten.

“Always start from hope” 8 likes