Start by marking “Besieged (The Outcast Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Besieged (The Outcast Chronicles, #1)

Besieged (The Outcast Chronicles #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  491 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Sorne, the estranged son of a King on the verge of madness, is being raised as a weapon to wield against the mystical Wyrds. Half a continent away, his father is planning to lay siege to the Celestial City, the home of the T’En, whose wyrd blood the mundane population have come to despise. Within the City, Imoshen, the only mystic to be raised by men, is desperately trying ...more
Published June 24th 2012 by Solaris (first published 2012)

Braiden
WHY DON’T I HAVE EXILE YET (while I wait for Sanctuary)????? *runs to Book Depository*

-----

Besieged was the first book of Rowena’s that I have read, and I feel guilty now for not having read any of the King Rolen’s Kin books (although I own the first) or The Last T’En – I really do; I enjoyed this first book in her new series The Outcast Chronicles so much that I hated myself for not having the sequel Exile yet. All I want to do now is finish this series then visit her decade-plus-old The Last T
Gavin Gates
Without a doubt one of the best openers to a trilogy release I have ever had the pleasure of reading. The backdrop is absolutely beautiful, Daniels has created a brilliantly described world that is very easy to get lost in, superb races in the Mieren referred to as True Men, T'en a race of silver haired six fingered and toed gift empowered humanoids, feared and hated by the hugely more populated Mieren and the Malajune a copper haired half blood subservient to the T'en , also hated by Meiren.
Th
Mieneke
I recently read and reviewed The King's Bastard , the first book in Rowena Cory Daniells King Rolen's Kin trilogy, which I really enjoyed, so much so that I that I went and bought the second and third books in the series immediately after finishing it. Consequently, I was really happy Solaris was kind enough to send me a review copy of the first novel in her new The Outcast Chronicles, Besieged. Before I get on with reviewing Besieged, I have to put something right: in my review of The King's Ba ...more
Mervi
290 years ago the peace accords were signed between the True-men (whom the T’En call Mieren) and the powerful and long-lived T’Enatuath (whom the humans call the Wyrd). The two races have co-existed in an uneasy peace since then. Sometimes half-bloods (whom the T’En call the Malaunje and the humans call the Wyrd) are born to two True-men parents. According to the accords, the True-men have to give up the half-blood infants to the T’En.

Sorne is king Charald’s eagerly-awaited first born son and he
Terence
Daniells’ Besiegedis the first book in a trilogy about the fate of the T’En (known to humans as the Wyrd), a race of near-humans blessed (cursed) with “gifts.” For three centuries there’s been an uneasy truce between them and humans. The T’En and the half-human/half-T’En Malaunje are confined to an island city, isolated estates and ghettos in select cities; T’En and Malaunje babies born to human women (which happens even if both parents are human) are given over to the T’En. That custom (and tr ...more
Fantasy Literature
I have very mixed feelings about Besieged. Overall, I’d give it a positive ranking, but it’s hard to ignore the fact that the text does have issues. Quite a few issues, really. What does work is very good, and I can really give those elements a sterling review. But then there’s… the other hand.

Besieged is a big, sprawling political drama concerning a race called the T’en, the ordinary humans (here called True-Men or Mieren), and the “half-blood” population, apparently a result of interbreeding b
Scott
It's been a long time since I've delved into epic fantasy and this book is a harsh reminder of why I stopped reading it.

The novel depicts a very depressing world which is divided between normal humans and the psychic T'en, and then further divided into brotherhoods and sisterhoods. No matter how you look at it, it's all hostility all of the time. Except for some of the young people, no one is actually friends with anyone else.

The portion I've read (nearly two hundred pages, encompassing a 14-yea
De Roedere
I read the last T'En when it first came out and remember thinking that I'd found a new and decent read. The second and third in the trilogy didn't quite hit the spot - whatever that spot might have been is lost to time - and I guess that spot is why I've never taken too much interest in other books by this author.
But a friend gave me all three of The Outcast Chronicles for the holidays.
The cover seemed a little derivative of a series that's very successful at the moment, and I must admit that
Christian
I would have given 3.5 stars if i could. I had a real hard time keeping up with the seemingly unannounced time advances. sometimes weeks, months or years pass by between chapters or within the chapter itself. there are a few times when a date is used at the start of the chapter but not often enough.

The second issue is with the lack of character development. Granted if you speed up time to advance the story, its difficult to take the time and give us characters we can identify when we see their n
Sean the Bookonaut
Besieged is the first book in The Outcast Chronicles by Rowena Cory Daniells. The Chronicles see Daniells return to the world which she created in the T’En Trilogy. The Chronicles are a prequel to that series and take place at a considerable distance from the evens featured in the earlier works.

It is not necessary then to have read the earlier trilogy, to understand or enjoy Besieged.

Where to start on Besieged?

There are good books that you can appreciate and enjoy, then there are books that yo

Tsana Dolichva
Besieged by Rowena Cory Daniells is the first book in the Outcast Chronicles, which is being published around now (Solaris likes to release trilogies over three months). It’s set in the same universe as her Last T’en trilogy (which is out of print and difficult to find) but in that world’s distant past. You definitely don’t need to have read The Last T’en first (I certainly haven’t, what with being unable to get a hold of it). A copy of Besieged was given to me by the author for review.

I absolut
Vanessa
I'm regretting having bought the next two books in the series already because now I'll HAVE to read them (I don't want the money I spent on them to go to waste). I felt like a lot of time and pages in the book were wasted. The world wasn't developed enough and neither were a good chunk of the characters. I only started caring about what happened in the story towards the very end (and that's a bad sign for a Fantasy novel).

One thing that could have been quite useful but was missing from this boo
Deborah
When I first began reading I found the initial chapters to be rushed, giving too much information too quickly. I thought that could have been done a little more subtly than it had been. However, once I got passed this, the rest of the story began to flow and really turned into something quite spectacular.

There's great character development and, what a lot of books fail in, a brilliant societal structure that makes sense!!! I am thoroughly impressed with the thought and planning that Daniells mus
Maddalena
The first time I heard about this book - and trilogy - was on Shari Mulluane's blog "Dragons, Heroes and Wizards"(http://dragonsheroesandwizards.blogsp...) where the series was reviewed in its entirety: as it often happens to me, I experienced a sort of mental click that told me it could be a great book, so I added it to my reading queue. Instincts proved once more to be right on target, because this is a great beginning for a very promising series.

Complete review here: http://spaceandsorcery.wo
Caz
Was given a free copy from the publisher, and although I love fantasy and read a lot of it, and am always up for reading new releases, this just didn't do it for me I'm afraid. There wasn't enough descriptive writing especially about the places visited - the places in which the story was set, I mean - and I thought the characters weren't fleshed out enough. It felt like Daniells was rushing to give us action, intrigue, new words and magics without explaining fully who and where the characters we ...more
Shari  Mulluane
(Book gifted by author in exchange for honest review)

♦ The Story. Oh my. How do I describe this tale? There is so much of it it defies a simple explanation. But I'll give it a shot.

Lets start with the basic makeup of this world. At the core there are three main races. The mystics, the non gifted (humans with no mystical powers) and the half-bloods.

The mystics consist of sisterhoods and brotherhoods, both laboring under an uneasy truce. To make things even more interesting, the brotherhoods are n
Jillian
Good book, good story. But in reality it really could have done without the first third where it is building the world and showing how different the circumstances were for each of the POV characters' births and how it differed from the norm.

I would have much rather learned some of the information, like the happenings at Sorne's birth and how Imoshen's upbringing by her father and the brotherhood was taboo along with the characters than having foreknowledge of this information. I think it would h
Anna Beylenn
The blatant sexism present in the book had me flabberghasted and fuming at first, but then you slowly begin to realize that it is integral to the central plot of the story in some ways. After that, it grinds your gears a bit less.

The characters are real, though I wish there'd been just a tad bit more character development going on. The action and story will keep you glued to your seat though and once the book finally took off it was near impossible for me to put it down.

The world is unique and t
Alexa
Jul 10, 2013 Alexa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
That girl on the cover almost looks like the Khaleesi.
Adam Siegfried
Besieged began with a slow pace which took me a while to get through part one of the book. When part two begins with a lot of events unfolding moving the plot along while show some character development. I enjoyed the ending of Besieged more due to a lot of action and plot twists.

I have been informed by a friend that the third book in the series, Sanctuary, is not the last chapter in the series. This is exciting. Though I am only in the beginning of the second book, Exile, I look forward t0 see
Blodeuedd Finland
This story takes place over a few decades and then it ends when something big happens. Oh yes cliffhanger alert, but it was still a calm cliffie as things will happen. But there is no one hanging off that cliff just yet. Maybe in a minute though.

There are different POVs but the two big ones are Sorne. A half blood raised to be a spy and weapon. He wanted to prove he was something more than just tainted and I felt so sorry for him. Humans are stupid and would never see anything else.

Then there is
Kirstie
I read this book at the first book for my Australian Speculative fiction Authors Challenge. I was certainly not disappointed. *waves Australian flag enthusiastically*

Beseiged is a multi-threaded tale involving an entire race hated by ‘True-men’ involving the pure blood T’En and their magic, the Mieren(True-men) and half-bloods between the two races. Besieged is full of political intrigue and war and characters you love and love to hate.

This is one of those books where I wish Goodreads gave me th
Angelya (Tea in the Treetops)
Review originally posted on The Oaken Bookcase, February 2 2013.

It’s been a while since I read any high fantasy, since a lot of it these days tends to be quite dark and depressing. While still containing some violence and oppression, Besieged isn’t nearly as dark as other books in the genre and I found that made it all the more enjoyable a read. That, and the fact that the author lives in the same city as me. Hooray for local awesome talent!

How to describe this world? Chalcedonia and the nearby
Tony Kelly

I was pleasantly surprised. I've been at that lethargic point where almost all fantasy is the same no matter how recent I pick up or how far back into garage sales and old used book stores that I go. Maybe it was because I read this on the tail wind of Prince of Thorns (which slapped me silly), but I mostly picked this up because it was THICK and wanted something to last a plane ride and couple nights of reading.

I got the feeling that this was a stage setter. The book takes us through decades
Denna M. Davis
This was a really good book. However, I'm starting to wonder if Rowena is trying to create a platform of normalcy in intersexual relationships. I've seen this in the King Rolen's Kin Chronicles, and now in the Outcast Chronicles. I don't care if someone is homosexual...it has no baring on my friendship or judgment, and I could care less whom people are attracted to. However, in her stories, these are not homosexual relationships, per se. These are cultures where the men sodomize the boys and eac ...more
Ruth
c2012: FWFTB: mystical, wyrds, hatred, sisterhood, brotherhood. There are a lot of echoes of other spec fic plots and worlds in this book but Ms Daniells excels in this book at putting her own spin onto the tried and trusted plotlines. IMHO, the blurb is totally misleading and may relate more to the trilogy as a whole rather than this particular episode. I can see why - had the blurb mentioned that this frst book focussed on the YA characters 'growing into' their various talents, a number of pot ...more
Leonie
I read this book as part of my contribution to The Australian Women Writers Challenge 2013. This is basically a three and a half to four star review. (I know, indecisive!)

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I picked this book up. What I got was a fascinating story full of intrigue and struggle.

There are three main "races" for want of a better word - Humans, T'en, and Malaunje. Humans are humans, T'en are a race with "gifts" and a segregated society, living in brotherhoods and sisterhoods, wh
Louis Groff II
Bryek
I have read Daniells King Rolen's Kin series before this one and it is really what lead me to read this books as the cover art, not me is not very appealing. I am not exactly sure who that is supposed to be on the cover and I assume it is Imoshen but its far from how I pictured her.
First off I want to say how addicted I am to this story! I almost set it aside after the first few chapters because it didn't pick up right away But i am very glad I continued bacause not 10 minutes later I was swept
Judy Goodwin
I wanted to like this book, I really did. The cover art is gorgeous and that's what drew me in. I was disappointed, however, that it took so long for anything to really happen in the story. It also took a long time before I started to connect to any of the characters because the book begins before they really exist as viewpoint characters. I think I would have preferred that the book start with them at an age where they can think and feel and leave everything before that to flashback or backstor ...more
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • Allegiance (River of Souls Series, #3)
  • Winter Be My Shield (Children of the Black Sun, #1)
  • The Dread (Fallen Kings Cycle, #2)
  • The Emperor's Knife (Tower and Knife Trilogy, #1)
  • Rapture (Bel Dame Apocrypha, #3)
  • Mage's Blood (Moontide Quartet, #1)
  • Greatshadow (Dragon Apocalypse, #1)
  • The Last T'En (Last T'En Trilogy, #1)
  • Heart of the Mirage (Mirage Makers, #1)
  • Never Knew Another (Dogsland, #1)
  • Vengeance (The Tainted Realm #1)
  • Midnight and Moonshine
  • Broken Blade (Fallen Blade, #1)
  • The Last Grand Master (Champion of the Gods, #1)
  • Legends of Australian Fantasy
  • Secrets of the Sands (Children of the Desert, #1)
  • Scourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsounder's Arc, #1)
I write the kind of books that keep you up all night.

I write the kind of books that got you reading fantasy way back when. I also write gritty crime-noir with a touch of paranormal under RC Daniells.

I've been trying to add The Price of Fame to my published books section. But it keeps ending up in my 'read' books section. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I am unashamedly a Genre Writer!

(Many thanks to
More about Rowena Cory Daniells...

The Outcast Chronicles (3 books)
  • Exile (The Outcast Chronicles, #2)
  • Sanctuary (The Outcast Chronicles, #3)
The King's Bastard (King Rolen's Kin, #1) The Uncrowned King (King Rolen's Kin, #2) The Usurper (King Rolen's Kin, #3) Exile (The Outcast Chronicles, #2) Sanctuary (The Outcast Chronicles, #3)