Start by marking “Taming the Tiger: From the Depths of Hell to the Heights of Glory” as Want to Read:
Taming the Tiger: From the Depths of Hell to the Heights of Glory

Taming the Tiger: From the Depths of Hell to the Heights of Glory

This fast-paced, compelling and chilling account, is the deeply moving story of a three-times Kung Fu World Champion. With fascinating insight into the traditions of China's martial arts, it documents the abusive upbringing that turned a four-year-old child into a hardened, professional killer. // From China to Europe and across the Meditarranean, we follow Tony as he beco ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published December 1st 2006 by Hovel Audio (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Taming the Tiger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taming the Tiger

Tomid Tomid
Feb 03, 2012 Tomid Tomid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shortly after beginning this book I went on Amazon to see what people were saying about it. I expected 1-star and 5-star reviews to dominate, but I didn't expect the 1-star reviews to be well-argued, including by some persons claiming to be Christians. I expected the 1-stars to come from teenage boy atheists who had no intention of ever opening the book, let alone reading it from cover to cover.

I read it cover to cover, which is good going for me as I rarely get into books enough to get as far a
Natalie Vellacott
This book used to be one of my favourite Christian biographies as it is such a dramatic story or a life turned around by God. The author claims to have been a Kung Fu Champion that ended up in prison due to various serious crimes. Later he marries and becomes a Christian only to end up in prison again having accidentally knocked over an old lady whilst he was was driving at night (the lady died.) He believes that this turn of events was somehow God's punishment for mistakenly moving his family t ...more
Reuben
May 14, 2015 Reuben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shocking of her went through and did; a true story of grace
Karen
Jul 25, 2011 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was a fabulous insight into the dark world of Kung Fu - no Kung Fu Panda type here. Yet God stepped in through a faithful man & changed everything!!
Aaron
Feb 19, 2011 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story, great description, especially of the martial arts stuff at the beginning. Almost too awesome to be believable.
Joe
Mar 10, 2009 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty awesome. I bought _Taming the Tiger_ and _Washed by Blood_ in order to send them to an associate who is doing some time in jail and was looking for some good things to read. I'm really glad I decided to read these before sending them.

_Taming the Tiger_ is another book I would have relished in high school. Tony Anthony is a half British half Chinese man who spent the first four years of his life living in London. At the age of four, he was sent to live with his grandfather in
Kingsley
2.5 / 5

I got a free copy of this as a part of a giveaway for Father's Day in the USA (although I'm not a father and not in the USA - yay for a worldwide internet) 2013. That is July 15 2013. Only July 16 2013 the publisher of the book announced they were no longer going to withdraw the book from sale due to an independant investigation into the book that concluded that large amounts of the book are falsified. Something that Tony Anthony denies, stating any erros are based on how he remembers thi
Andrew
Jun 18, 2007 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this review first appeared on [http://intraspace.blogspot.com]

as far as dramatic christian stories about conversion go, this would have to be near perfect in terms of the formula: really bad person (in this case, a kung fu expert who uses his skills to maim and kill people for money and retribution) goes to prison and then finds jesus.

i don't mean to come across as cynical in this - 'taming the tiger' really does have all the ingredients of a storming good christian story of redemption. truth be
Gabriella Kjeilen
Handling: Fruktan fanns inte i Tony Anthonys värld. Som trefaldig världsmästare inom Kung Fu var han självsäker, mäktig och fruktad. En lovande karriär inom säkerhetsbranschen hade precis påbörjats och han reste världen runt för att beskydda några av världens rikaste och mäktigaste människor.
Den här tempofyllda och mycket fängslande boken är berättelsen om Tonys sanna och oerhört gripande livshistoria om hur en ”upplyst lärling” förvandlades till en blodtörstig och våldsam man.
I det mest kompa
Carolin
Apr 09, 2012 Carolin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hmm...ich hatte beim Hören recht durchwachsene Gefühle. Gerade den Beginn fand ich interessant. Tony Anthony schildert sehr genau das Leben in China und seine harte Ausbildung zum Kung-Fu-Kämpfer. Biografien mag ich eigentlich sowieso immer mal gerne. Später wurde mir das Hörbuch aber zu fanatisch. Ich muss dazu sagen, dass ich selbst nicht gläubig bin, Religionen interessierten mich aber schon immer. Ich ging also eigentlich doch vorurteilsfrei ran. Die vielen "Wunder", die Tony Anthony aber er ...more
Kjersti
Jul 11, 2010 Kjersti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Taming the Tiger is a story of redemption, a story of something (or, in this case, someone) that has been stolen recovered and returned back to its rightful owner.

As far as "the formula" goes, it's perfect. Boy has a bad upbringing, becomes a cynical machine hurting others (using the methods of a foreign religion), goes to jail and finds Christ. Well - not to be cynical, but this can be a bit predictable at times. Still, it's definitely one of the most interesting, and not to mention powerful, a
Carl
I had high hopes but sadly am deeply disappointed.
So much so that I went to meet Tony in person.
I gave him 2 lines of friendly Chinese in a letter, which he was utterly unable to read.
He claims to be a Kung fu expert, trained in China, tutored by a grand father who taught him to write Chinese. Yet he can't even spot the Chinese characters for Kung fu or grandfather.
There are many other elements which have been shown to be untrue.
Discerning readers can find evidence by searching for 'Tony Anthony
Peter
Jan 08, 2008 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mature Christians
The writing in this book is perhaps not the best I have ever read, but the power of Tony Anthony's testimony -- how much Jesus changed his life -- is far greater than any literary merit could hope to achieve. It is rather graphic in places, so I certainly would not recommend the faint-hearted to read it. However, it is both exciting and very challenging, even for very mature Christians, as he has a disarmingly brutal honesty about his initial salvation and his later walk with God.
Rob Brown
May 26, 2013 Rob Brown rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An almost too unbelievable to believe account of his life which i adored at the time (would have given it a five at the time). Now i am older I realise that it probably isn't true, or is at least blown well out of proportion. The story is great if read as fiction and evangelical element ignored.

Pres release today the EA and Avanti have announced that they have investigated the evidence and there is no support for this at all.
Peter
Oct 13, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a roller coaster of human experience. From a child who felt unwanted to the highest level of Kung Fu champion then down to the depths of prison squalor where God met him in a miraculous way and lifted right back up again. Now as a Christian evangelist he is able to help people who have been or are struggling at rock bottom because he's been there. A recommended read.
Andrés Forsberg
Jag minns att jag verkligen tyckte att detta var en fantastisk historia om en man som har gått igenom så mycket i sitt liv, men som tillslut möte Jesus. Synd att den visade sig vara falsk. Men även om den är falsk så behöver inte innehållet vara dåligt. http://www.dagen.se/v%C3%A4rldsevange...
John Priest
Mar 21, 2014 John Priest rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a thoroughly amazing read. A real page turner. It has come to light that everything in this mans book is true. I found the following websites offer irefutable proof: http://www.forthesakeofthegospel.co.uk
You must read this book, and go and hear the man speak too!
Brandon H.
I started to read this book but recently learned many of the events in the book are either falsehoods or unable to be verified.

Al McNicoll
As a work of fiction, highly readable. Sadly, those closest to the author have concluded that this book is at least as much fiction as autobiography. Given that its intended purpose is to point to the True God, I don't think it measures up.
Emmilie
Since I am a Buddhist of the old style, not the sort who gives a Buddha statue oranges and apples, I find the twist in the book a wee bit... well... I don't really know, I can only say that I liked it at some level - what level that is is yet to be decided.
Sheila Crabb
Jul 17, 2013 Sheila Crabb rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's been withdrawn as follows the statement below
Olga
Aug 31, 2012 Olga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Η μεγάλη αξία του βιβλίου έγκειται όχι στη λογοτεχνική του υπεροχή αν και είναι καλογραμμένο αλλά στην αλήθεια της μαρτυρίας. Όχι, ό,τι είναι γραμμένο εκεί μέσα δεν είναι μια περιπέτεια γέννημα της φαντασίας του συγγραφέα αλλά εξιστόρηση του μεγάλου γεγονότος που τον έσωσε από την αθλιότητά του.
David Lillywhite
Jul 15, 2013 David Lillywhite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book a few years ago now after meeting Tony and him giving me a copy to which he then signed :)
I remember there was quite a few of us who didn't put this book down until we had read it from cover to cover which was a good sign Haha!
Judith
Sep 07, 2008 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned about this book from my uncle who visited him in prison in Cyprus when another missionary was on furlough. It's an amazing story both of God's grace to rescue a violent man, and also God's grace to help him face daily life now.
Rebecca
Apr 13, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O carte care are tot ce-ti poti dori, incepand de la stari tensionate pline de suspans pana la lacrimi si bucurie launtrica. M-am simtit bine cititnd aceasta carte, neregratand nici una din filele ei.
Eugene du Plessis
Dec 26, 2009 Eugene du Plessis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Martial arts gone wrong and the journey to finding and giving Jesus first place in his life.
Michelle
Jul 08, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dramatic, intriguing and inspiring.
Glenda Kirkegard
I enjoyed the second half of the book more than the first half. The book is Tony Anthony's life testament to the work and awesome power of God in his life, up until the early 1990's.
Bonny
Apr 02, 2013 Bonny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: biography fans, Christians and fans of martial arts
Shelves: christian
An incredible story of violence and crime to redemption and hope. This is an absolutely fantastic read.
Mark Holencik
Oct 29, 2014 Mark Holencik rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Tony tells his story of becoming the best at his family's legacy. Then where his choices took him. Eventually find his way out of low spots in his life and turning it to good use.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Living on the Devil's Doorstep: International Adventures
  • Against The Tide: The Story of Watchman Nee
  • Be Intolerant: Because Some Things Are Just Stupid
  • The 10 Most Common Objections to Christianity
  • The Source of My Strength: Relying on the life-changing power of Jesus Christ to heal our wounded hearts
  • Life At The Extremes