The Hob (Gray Court, #4)

The Hob (Gray Court #4)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  711 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Robin Goodfellow has met his match.

The Gray Court Book 4

When the Black Queen kidnaps one of the White Queen's nephews, Robin Goodfellow is sent to ensure that the young prince safely returns to the bosom of his family. True to his role as Oberon’s Hobgoblin, he is ready for anything…except meeting his truebond, the very delicious, very human Michaela Exton.

Michaela has d...more
Published January 22nd 2013 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

ms bookjunkie
Gah, addicting, DMB is so cruel, I want the next book now now now!

[Updated April 2013: Grade raised from 4 stars to 4.5 stars.]
Mel
Jan 23, 2013 Mel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: e-book, fae, pnr, 2013
Oh how I lurve Robin Goodfellow. I've been itching for his book since the beginning of the Gray Court series and The Hob did not disappoint. Micheala was a great match for him and I thoroughly enjoyed the building of their relationship and learning more about other secondary characters.

I know that Oberon is up next but am not sure if that will be the final book in the series. I'm hoping not. This is a fantastically erotic fae series and I'd like more, especially if it involves more of Raven and...more
Jessie Potts
What it's about: This is the fourth book in Dana Marie Bell's Gray Court series involving Fey Courts, A Midsummer Night's Dream, romance and intrigue. In The Hob it's Robin Goodfellow's turn to meet his truebond, only he's not expecting the very human Michaela Exton to be paired with him. A Secret will try to tear away Robin's humanity, and only Michaela will be able to pull him back from the brink.

Why you should read it: All the Gray Court books are fun and devastatingly steamy. The books are g...more
Ellen
The Hob-- book 4 in the Gray Court series.
I feel like I waited a long time for this book. I do highly recommend that you take the time to read the first three books before tackling The Hob, it would be very difficult to understand what's going on otherwise.
This has become one of my favorite series to read. Bell's characters are rich, humorous, and so very inventive. She makes the hidden lives of the fae a believable fantasy. They are a real joy to read.

Robin Goodfellow is easily my favorite c...more
Shiran

When I first found out this installment of the Gray Court series was going to be about Robin I must say I was a bit skeptical, his character was intriguing but not necessarily sexy in the other books. But knowing and loving DMB like I do I was eager to read this one and find out how she was going to make it amazing, as I had no doubt she would, and I wasn't disappointed!

Robin Goodfellow...more
Susan Parks
Love, love, love that we got the Hob's story and we will get Oberon's next! Great love story, the mystery wasn't excellent, and the editing was a bit uneven in parts, which kept it from being a 5 star book for me.
Diana N Neal
It’s here, it’s here! I have been waiting for Robin Goodfellow’s story since he appeared in Dare to Believe. I have to admit, I was at first concerned with how Bell was going to make Goodfellow appear sexy when he was so effeminate. I mean, look at the androgynous cover! However, Bell totally made me believe in his sexiness. He had the same draw and charisma as Captain Jack Sparrow. And we all know that man can charm a member of any sex with a wink of his heated gaze. And Robin Goodfellow was ex...more
Ellen
Also available at my blog: http://neverkissandblog.blogspot.com....

Ah, Dana Marie Bell. One of my favourite authors, possessing the seal of complete trust from me. Which I’m sure she’s completely honoured by. The Hob is book four in the Gray Court series.

I was a little disappointed by this. Now if you pay attention to my ratings then you might wonder why I say that about a 4-star book. Yes it was very good and I try to review good books as much as possible and only give the worst books attention...more
Theresa
4.5*
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.com/bo...

A LASR BEST BOOK!!

When Prince Evan Yates, the nephew of Gloriana, the Queen of the White Court, goes missing, she requests aid from Oberon, King of the Gray Court in rescuing him from his kidnappers. Oberon trusts his Hobgoblin, Robin Goodfellow, to do the job. After all, there is only one being more deadly in all of creation than Robin, and that is his King.

This is a political move by the Black Court, but the kidnapping is just a div...more
Lady Lioness
Full disclosure, I hate this cover. HATE. IT. His hair looks so frizzy to me.

As a result, I went into Hob feeling a little wary. Cracktastic cover, cracktastic book? However, The Hob was much better than I expected, largely due to Robin. I liked how he walked that fine line between being charming and being deadly. I also liked the setting as I thought using a fairy convention was particularly clever.

To fully 'get' The Hob, you need to have read Noble Blood and Artistic Vision. The plot sort of...more
Ivy Deluca
First of all, the cover is actually distracting and had I not read other books in this series, I'm not sure I would have wanted to pick it up. However, I enjoyed the Hob in the Dana Marie Bell's Gray Court series since the very first book and I looked forward to this entry.

This was a decent entry - not the best, not the worst. I wish I got to know him a bit better, and he still feels more like an enigma but I did like the heroine Michaela and the potential for more books in the series with the...more
Ellissa H
Best of the series so far in my opinion. I will probably be reading the next one. Good for a nice quick read.
SANDRA
Mar 26, 2013 SANDRA rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: favs
Well All I have to say is that the cover page does not do The Hob justice, that needs to be changed and second Michaela was just too nice, naive. It started to get on my nerves, but I got over it because I loved The Hobgoblin more. I felt that the secondary characters were portrayed a little like jokes and not the ferocious being that they are.. Was it just me? Perhaps but again I got over it because Robin Goodfellow, There were parts that had me cracking up who thought that a faerie convention...more
Jessica
Sadly this is another book in an otherwise fantastic series that fell a little flat for me. The characters just didnt click with me the way the others did and i just didnt connect with them. The plot also wasnt as captivating to me and overall this just wasnt as pleasant of a read. There was nothing actively wrong with the writing, characters, or plot they just didnt work for me unfortunately. I just didnt feel the connection between robin and michaela and i think that ruined the whole book for...more
Alexandra
The fourth book. This was my favorite by far. Robin was amazing, Michaela is so perfect for him, and the whole book made me laugh, blush, cry, and celebrate. Finally this books answers some nagging questions and you finally get to see inside the enigma that is Robin Goodfellow, aka. The Hob, aka. Puck, aka. Pan, ect. LOL, how can you not love a guy who has that many names!!!! Also I love the new twist with Raven Macsweeny, most definitely like his character and cant wait to see more of him. Cant...more
Kacie Thompson
One of the best books in the series! I love love love it! As much as I love Sean, Leo, and Moira...'sigh', Nothing and no one can beat The Hob! What is a Fae story without Goodfellow? I was so psyched when I seen this book was coming out I couldn't wait to read it! I loved it so much I read it twice in a row. I feel really bad for what he has to deal with *not going to spoil*, the dark queen.

And as a side note: Robin Dude, if I ever get to personally meet you and it's as a women with a mans voic...more
MostlyDelores
I love Dana Marie Bell. I must. She's got me reading and loving books about Fae, Norse Gods, and Angels -- none of which I have any patience for normally. The Gray Court series is about the Fae, the Sidhe, Oberon and Titannia, all that stuff.

I can't even really review Robin's story as it's own book; like Shelly Laurenston, Ms Bell continues a long-running arc with a big cast of characters that cross-pollinate each other's stories. Suffice it to say: if you've loved the series so far, this is th...more
Katie
OMG wow! The Gray Court Series just keeps getting better :) I've loved Robin since he was introduced and was happy he finally got his own story. I really love Michaela she is an original. She is sassy and cute but sticks up for herself and has a lot of compassion for people and enjoys taking care of children in her duties as a hospital nurse.

Michaela is a wonderful match for Robin and I am happy he finally has the family he has always wanted.

Can't wait for Oberon's story!!!
Dr. Bronwyn Ph.D of Smutology
Yep, pretty big things are in store.

I admit to finding the first few pages a little confusing in that it was hard to keep track of who was talking. But this issue quickly settled and then was a joy to read. We get to know Robin and despite his power, the overwhelming loneliness and insecurity.

There is still a lot being said in the guise of prophecy. I'm kind of nosey so would have loved more detail but looks like I need to wait for the next one. Hope it's Oberon's story!!!
Lynne
This was supposed to be Robin's book. Yet, so many questions about him went unanswered. I enjoyed the story. Michaela is great. I thought the influx of new characters was really revitalizing to the storyline. But I was disappinted with the romance between Robin and Michaela because I wanted him to show her more than just the legends that she had read all her life. In the end he still remained a mystery to us and to the woman who he loved enough to truebond with. Sigh.
Vee
I absolutely loved this book!!
gremlin
What's not to like? This was just fun.

Robin Goodfellow goes on a mission for Oberon, and meets his bond mate, the human Michaela Exton. She's fun and bubbly, and charms Robin - as well as a couple of others he'd prefer stayed far far away from her.

Her defense of Puck as a good guy through various literature was fun, and the con they all ended up at was a hoot (especially after Moira arrived.)
Deborah Rudnicki applegate
Intrigued by the character since he appeared in the first book of the series and was happy to find that he finally has his own book and D.M. Bell did not disappoint. But then, I haven't been disappointed with anything I read by this author, who can make you laugh, cry and keep you wondering what is going to happen next, all in the same book.
Merlene Dunbar
Honestly, in every novel that I read that had a passers by of Puck the character they always portray him as this womanizing shape shifter that kinda swung both ways, so when Puck was portrayed in such a light in this book I kinda felt cheated a little bit but all in all I love love loved this book. Can't wait for the next installment.
Beth
I really wasn't expecting the Hob's true bond to be who she turned out to be. But it does make sense if you look at his lighter side. We get to see all our favorites from the earlier books & meet some new interesting characters.

Cannot wait for the next book! Kinda ends on a cliff hanger.
Jen
A great story, but it relies heavily on the previous three books in the series. It could be read as as stand-alone, but with much confusion and less enjoyment of the story.

And the tale set up the next in the series really well. I can't wait for Oberon's story.
Amanda
Loved the book & can not wait until the next one in the series is available. You are rooting for the Hob the whole time. With an addictive writing style that keeps me enthralled & unable to put the book down, Dana Marie Bell has done it again. Thank you for writing the book!
Jo
Really fun story. I figured Robin would need a different type of girl than the rest of the guys, and
Michaela is the perfect woman for the job. This is one of the best new series out there right now- and their are so many- so don't miss out. Next book is Siren's Song!
Kit7en
For the first time a book I've been expecting is even better than my expectations. It was absolutely amazing and written in the particular Dana Marie Bell's style I love so much. If you like the Hob,you are going to love this book,guarantee !
  • Lion and the Falcon (Furry United Coalition, #4)
  • Keeper of the Flame (Dragon Knights #7)
  • A Matter of Pride (Cougar Falls, #5)
  • Silver Mine (Takhini Wolves, #2)
  • The Twisted Kiss (Doomsyear, #1)
  • Beast (A Faery Story, #2)
  • Enigma (Southern Arcana, #6)
  • Hunter's Season (Elder Races #4.7)
  • Damek's Redemption (Legacy, #6)
  • A Love Worth Biting For (Hart Clan Hybrids, #1)
  • Wolf with Benefits (Pride, #8)
Dana Marie Bell wrote her first short story when she was thirteen years old. She attended the High School for Creative and Performing Arts for creative writing, where freedom of expression was the order of the day. When her parents moved out of the city and placed her in a Catholic high school for her senior year she tried desperately to get away, but the nuns held fast, and she graduated with hon...more
More about Dana Marie Bell...
Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters, #1) The Wallflower (Halle Pumas, #1) Steel Beauty (Halle Pumas, #4) Cat Of A Different Color (Halle Pumas, #3) Sweet Dreams (Halle Pumas, #2)

“Moira’s made contact.” He grimaced. “She wants a pair of strap-on wings for some strange reason.”

Robin shuddered delicately.

“She also has a plan.” Jaden gave Robin a mock sympathetic look. “Be afraid.”

Robin sighed and followed the vampire. Perhaps assigning the Blackthorns to watch Michaela hadn’t been his best idea. The thought of Michaela and Moira conspiring together had his gut clenching in terror.”
4 likes
“Her hands stroked his head, pushed his wild, tangled red mane from his face. “Welcome back, love.

Robin Goodfellow, Knight of Oberon and the most dangerous being on earth save one, sobbed like a broken child.”
4 likes