Player and the Prude (Men of Holsum College, #4)

Player and the Prude (Men of Holsum College #4)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Brooks Price loves a challenge. So when a frenemy dares him to sleep with a dorky, over-tall film major, Brooks amps up his considerable charm.

Matt Porter can’t guess why Brooks is flirting with him. Raised religious, Matt doesn’t believe in sex before relationships. Unfortunately, Brooks is all about sex, and Matt doubts Brooks is interested in anything else.

Slowly, Brook...more
Published July 7th 2012 by Siren-Bookstrand

To ask other readers questions about Player and the Prude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Player and the Prude

MandyM
3.5 stars. Interesting story about Matt, a conflicted and repressed gay student who is targeted by Brooks, the good-looking man-whore of the college campus. Matt comes from a very religious family and on top of that he has very violent urges when having sex. He's actually quite a dark character for this author (and especially for this publisher) and I felt uneasy about him for a while afterwards, thinking that his violence could get worse down the track. I don't think the book was resolved well....more
Veronica / Miss V
I love this series.

<<< updated>>>>

This is another wonderful sequel, this author really did a good job.
Bummer, I wish my English was better, so I can do this review more justice.
Bear with me while I try to organize my thoughts.
This time the author didn't keep the story as cute or romantic as the other books. This time is was more pain, adjustment to be who you really are, and some well deserved tears.
Matt was raised by religious parents, and they managed to damaged Matt con...more
Chris
Good m/m romance about a wealthy and slutty business major who takes a bet from a friend to seduce a gawky, repressed film student.
Jane Stewart
3 ½ stars. Slightly above average. It kept my interest, but it wasn’t as good as the first book in the series.

There are several explicit sex scenes including rear door activity. They were pretty good, but not as good as in the first book. The story and characters were not interesting enough - for me. Matt keeps running away because he fears his urges. And he won’t tell Brooks why.

STORY BRIEF:
Brooks has a promiscuous reputation, having sex with almost everyone. Matt was raised in a religious com...more
Lucy
Reviewed for Hearts On Fire Reviews

I love the men of Holsum College. There is something so fun, so RIGHT about them, even when they are fighting inner battles. This may be my absolute favorite couple so far. While their beginning was very non-romantic, it morphs into a chance for Brooks to step away from his slutty, sort of selfish persona and become, in his words, a better man. And he is successful at that.
It is Hunter, a completely spoiled, self-absorbed jerk, who makes the bet with Brooks wh...more
Brien Michaels
This is by far my favorite book in the series to date. Like...seriously. I'm not going you a choice in the matter. Read it. Immediately!
Nikko
This is so good that i find myself finding a date to read it again... I really loved it...
Phuong
I really enjoyed this book and the dynamics between Brooks and Matt. What started off as a bet Brooks agreed to with frenemy, Hunter, turns into something he wasn't expecting. Brooks is the "player" on campus with many casual hookups and Hunter makes a bet about wheher Brooks will be able to convice Matt to have sex with him. Matt doesn't believe in having sex unless it's within a relationship and he's also afraid due to having thoughts of domination during sex. They start spending time together...more
Vanessa theJeepDiva
I do believe that Matt and Brooks just took over as my favorite couple of this series. I find that slightly ironic considering I did not want to like Brooks when I began this installment of the Men of Holsum College series. His initial thoughts and opinions of Matt are harsh and the reason he began talking to him in the first place is beyond cruel.

Matt was tough to read at times. His thoughts and feelings about his own sexuality and his desires are harsh. He thinks he is perverted, he believes...more
Nic
This book was really unexpected with it's darker side. This wasn't focused on happy-go-lucky college students, it dealt with deeper issues.

As the title suggests, the main characters are opposites to each other in terms of their views towards sex and experiences.

Brooks is very much out for a good time. He has no qualms with the casual hook up. A bet results in him trying his charms on Matt.

Matt has had a religious upbringing and feels tremendous guilt over his sexuality, "He could hear his mother...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
4.5 Stars

This review was posted at Under the Covers

Having come into this series right in the middle with book #3 I will say that this is my favorite of the series, but I'm not sure if that counts for much. PLAYER AND THE PRUDE is about Matt and Brooks. We (at least I) met them in book 3. Matt is Gabe's roommate, Gabe went on a couple of dates with Brooks.

So Brooks is the player because he's a bit of a manwhore, what with his rugged good looks, always dressed in the latest fashion and coming fro...more
Valentina Heart
This review was originally written for The Romance Reviews and can also be found there.

PLAYER AND THE PRUDE is the closest to the first book in this series when it comes to the actual plot as well as the amount of eroticism. I loved it from the first chapter to the last and wouldn't think twice before recommending it.

It all started with a bet where Brooks took on the challenge of bedding the awkward and badly dressed Matt. The push into their lives is really sudden and there is no time for a bre...more
Tina ~
Re-read and initial review 3/21/14

Not much sweetness here. A baby Dom with a humiliation kink taking his first flattering steps with the college hoe. Actually quite lovely to see these two young men fall in love!
K.A.
Matt and Brooks were Great together! How is it Iove each book in the series more then the next. I also love how their misunderstanding's were resolved and not allowed to fester.
Isabel
Love this series... short stories, hot man, almost no drama... can't get enough!!!
Maya
This is my favorite in the series so far. They keep getting better and better!
Tracy's Place
4.25/4.5 out of 5
Now this is what I'm talking about! I had been getting a little disappointed with this series because the previous two books didn't match the potential I saw in the first. But, Player and the Prude threw all my expectations out the window and gave me a fascinating story that kept me up late into the night. As a warning, this is much darker than the other Holsum College novellas and I really enjoyed that aspect. The authors plays around with some different, more controversial themes in this book...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Review to come.Daisy Harris continues her Men of Holsum college series with what I think is the strongest installment to date.

The story follows the popular and carefree Brooks as he sets his sights on Matt, the tall, awkward roommate of an ex-hookup. The conquest actually starts as a dare, but Brooks is legitimately attracted to Matt, so it quickly becomes more than that.

Matt is struggling to accept his wants and desires. He was raised in a strict Christian home that was very sexually repressed....more
Julesmarie
I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did. The blurb with all of its references to violence and then the less-positive reviews made me leery. I actually considered skipping this one and just moving on to the next in the series, and I'm so glad I didn't! This may actually be my favorite of the series so far--and I didn't think any could top the first!

I didn't really like Brooks from book 3, so I wasn't very excited to read his story. I ADORED getting to watch his transformation in this boo...more
Guilty Pleasures
Matt Porter is struggling with being raised with a religious background, being gay and dating, along with wanting to Dominate his new boyfriend, Brooks Prince. Matt is such a quiet, nice guy that I instantly fell in love with him. Then as the book progressed, Matt starts to think of these deliciously wicked things he wants to do Brooks and my heart melts. “He wanted to love Brooks, to be loved in return. Not treat him like a filthy slut — the way his torrid imagination wanted.” I must say Matt’s...more
mel
what i loved most about this book is the commitment these two make to each other. It is the first one to see this although Chris and peter commit to each other but not so much like this. these two make plans.

Matt is this ex religious man who is still scared of himself and his thoughts. His upbringing has mad him this way. You can’t blame him for he was brought up in a highly religious setting. But he is a nice guy that just needs a take the bulls by the horns type of guy. This is where Brooks co...more
Gabbi
I’m hopelessly addicted to this series. In my opinion each book is getting better and better as the series continues. Ms. Harris seems to have really found her stride with each book. Every one of them reads fresh and unique and all of them have characters that seem to really live and breathe off of the written page.

Since the blurb does an excellent job of describing the story, I won’t rehash it very much. I’ve read several books with this type of scenario before. Man is dared to ask quiet man ou...more
Christi Snow
My Review:
I have adored this series, but after the original book, this one is definitely my favorite of the four released so far. I loved Matt and Brooks and I NEVER thought I would be saying that from what I had seen of Brooks in the other books!

The title of this is so perfect. Brooks is most definitely the player. He's the man-slut on campus...sleeping with anyone without any regard to anyone but himself. He's a rich, self-involved guy...until he meets Matt. Matt grew up in North Dakota to a v...more
~lil maso~
Brooks starts off the popular smartass guy, highly experienced in the sex department and someone who has it all, including his own problems. His mother is pushy, pushing a relationship with Hunter, to secure a fast track in climbing higher in society.

Matt is quiet and withdrawn, with no experience in the sex department. Being brought up in a very religious home, he is having a hard time coming to terms with thoughts in his head of dominance over another male.

What starts out as a bet between Broo...more
Andrea
Full review can be seen at Seductive Musings.

Brooks is a member of the lacrosse team. Holsum College requires sports teams to do community service so his team is spending the day packing boxes of food under the supervision of an uptight and slightly dorky guy named Matt. Brooks and one of his teammates decide to make the day a bit more interesting by placing a wager on whether Brooks can get Matt into bed. Brooks is getting into so much more than he bargained for with this bet!

Just in case you d...more
Nikki Brandyberry
I have a tumultuous relationship with this series. I absolutely adored book one, College Boys, but felt after that one things steadily went down hill. I liked book two, Diva and The Frat Boy, but I wasn’t wowed by it. Book three, Townie and The Twink, came right on its heels and I wasn’t feeling that one at all. At the end of book three I wasn’t sure I would continue with the series. In the past Harris has always redeemed herself with follow up books so I made myself a promise to check out book...more
Ni_kii
Sep 09, 2012 Ni_kii rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: bdsm, mm
Brooks is well known around campus for being a little bit of a slapper. When a frenemy bets him that he can’t seduce Matt, one of the campus good-boys, he willingly accepts the terms. There is no way that Matt is going to give it up easily; this is going to take some wooing. But Brook has never had to let anyone this close to him to get them into bed; will he really be able to treat Matt as a emotionless screw to win a bet?

Matt has been brought up with strict religious beliefs. He doesn’t believ...more
Liz
Another great addition to the Holsum college series (the college name makes me laugh every time I read/write it :)). This one was a bit darker than the others because Matt was much more conflicted about his relationship with Brooks and the kind of relationship he wanted. He was raised by a very religious family, so he had A LOT of baggage. Very enjoyable and now I'm onto the next one!
Mary
May 26, 2014 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m, school
how is it possible that books in this series are getting hotter and hotter?! it was better than first two books, and even though i am not into bdsm it was HOT. yummy:)
  • Beach Balls  (Balls to the Wall,  #3)
  • Your Biggest FAN (Greeks Invented Love #1)
  • Good Boy (Theta Alpha Gamma, #4)
  • Cherrypicker (Blue Line Hockey, #7)
  • His Roommate's Pleasure
  • Campus Visit
  • Absolutely Eric (Boston Boys, #2)
  • Tailor Made (Tailor Made, #1)
  • A Fighting Man (Men of Manhattan, #3)
  • Dirty Laundry (Tucker Springs, #3)
  • Forbidden Fruit
  • Virgin Territory
  • All Bets Are Off (Mountain Boys, #1)
  • Need You Now
  • Blame It on the Mistletoe
  • Country Mouse (Country Mouse, #1)
  • The Sin Eater's Prince
  • Kissing Cody Starr
Retired party girl and science fiction enthusiast, Daisy Harris spends most of her time writing sexy romance and plotting the fall of Western civilization. Her books can be found on Amazon, Nook, and wherever else fine erotic romance is sold.

Ms. Harris lives in Seattle, where she tortures her husband by making it rain. She enjoys watching bridges cause traffic, watching football games cause traffi...more
More about Daisy Harris...
From the Ashes (Fire and Rain, #1) College Boys (Men of Holsum College, #1) After the Rain (Fire and Rain, #2) Diva and the Frat Boy (Men of Holsum College, #2) Townie and the Twink (Men of Holsum College, #3)