Start by marking “Restoration of Faith (The Dresden Files, #0.2)” as Want to Read:
Restoration of Faith (The Dresden Files, #0.2)

Restoration of Faith (The Dresden Files 0.2)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  2,446 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
A short story of the Dresden Files.

(Also included in Side Jobs)
Published 2004

To ask other readers questions about Restoration of Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Restoration of Faith

Kristina
Jan 24, 2014 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-goal-55
People keep telling me, "Read the Dresden Files. Read the Dresden Files."
Well, I can tell you that after reading this very short story for the series, I have bumped the series much further up on my to-read list.

I have always said that an author that can make you care about their characters in a short amount of time is probably better than the author that needs a whole book to do so. And care I did. Little Faith was such a strong character in this 12 page story that she brought tears to my eyes.
Katy
Apr 09, 2014 Katy rated it it was amazing
I read this as part of the Side Jobs anthology. It is the book in which Harry finds a missing girl, but it’s never as simple as it seems. Butcher complains about the lack of quality in this story, but I think it’s really awesome. It’s also where Harry meets Murphy, plus a troll, so bonus!
Michelle [Helen Geek]
11/15/2015 -- Read this short to get me started in this series. I need something different and I think this will do the trick.
Rizwan
Aug 13, 2013 Rizwan rated it really liked it
A good, very quick introduction to Harry Dresden and his world. Butcher said he wrote it when he was in university, and was the third or fourth short story he ever written at that point, including his school projects! :P He or his publisher didn't think it was worthy of publishing at the beginning, but I didn't find any problem with the story or the writing-quality and quite enjoyed a quick, short and fun read. I'm already reading Storm Front (Dresden Files-1), but thought I read the short story ...more
Ivy
5 stars

Nice to know how Harry met Murphy. Hope Faith got home okay. Can't wait to read more books with Harry Dresden!!!
Julianna
Jan 22, 2013 Julianna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Urban Fantasy; The Dresden Files
Reviewed for THC Reviews
Restoration of Faith is a short prequel novella in the Dresden Files series. It's only about the length of a chapter and tells the story of a case Harry worked before becoming a full-fledged private investigator. At the time he and his partner, Nick, ran Ragged Angel Investigations, an agency that searched for missing children. This was an aspect of the story that I really enjoyed, and I thought Harry was very good with the girl he rescued. He seemed to have a kind, gentl
Angie (Mind Malfunction)
Jul 02, 2012 Angie (Mind Malfunction) rated it it was amazing
Restoration of Faith is book 0.5 in the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. I'd love to tell you what it's about, but I wrote the review in February 2012, after I read it, but due to a Goodreads Glitch, my review was deleted and I no longer remember what its about. I'm peeved. My stats dropped by one and I had to look through every single book until I found which one was missing. Grrrrrrrr. I do know that I loved every Jim Butcher book I've read, so I know the rating is a 5/5.
Sammm
Jun 06, 2016 Sammm rated it really liked it
It was very standard. A very typical investigation, and I swear it wasn't too original as I've def. known of the "client-backstabbing-their-helpers" type of cases, so I can understand why, like what Butcher said, his editors probably didn't think it was that great to be the start off piece. That's not to say this story sucks, cuz it doesn't, it just probably wouldn't be too memorable.

I like that I got to know Harry before he was working for himself. At first I thought this "Nick" character was j
Pranta Ghosh Dastider
Nov 09, 2014 Pranta Ghosh Dastider rated it really liked it
Pretty decent short story, there is lack of action but that wasn't the main point anyways.

The story emerges I think just to offer a glimpse onto the world of Harry Dresden. And considering this was the first piece of writing on the Magician Detective I guess Jim himself was trying to visit the idea of such a being.

I liked the cute little kid and his matured talking as well as honest view on the matters, I liked Harry's point of view on the things as the story progressed. Finally I was glad to
Nickie
Feb 17, 2014 Nickie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novellette
This is a brief story of Harry Dresden before he starts his own Wizarding business. He is training with a partner to find a young run away girl. I liked this story a lot because I read it after I was 5-6 books into the series and in one of the full length novels, a magical creature asks Harry why he does what he does, and I feel like this answered part of that question. It is a very brief entry found for free on his website. You might as well read it if you are a Dresden fan.
Chad
Jun 19, 2013 Chad rated it it was amazing
A short episode of Dresden before he opened his own PI business. Upon finding a lost child he is told the parents have reported her kidnapped, not missing. Will Dresden be able to get out of this one or will he leave the little girl alone in the big city.

This short story only takes a few minutes to read, but is a great glimpse at Dresden before he has a lot of power or even before he is out on his own. A great, quick read in the Dresden saga.
Deranged Pegasus
Sep 11, 2012 Deranged Pegasus rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist, 2012
A cute little tale that introduces a great many characters and a tiny glimpse into the life of Harry Dresden. This glimpse bringing a yearning to read more and find out what else lives in the dark and the magic that can defeat it. It was nice to learn more of the past of the characters and to feel more involved with them.
Kyle
Nov 17, 2012 Kyle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of The Dresden Files
Read this because I heard you should read this before the first book, which I'm reading right now. It's better than most short story prequels because it actually has a story and isn't just some random scene that shouldn't even have been written and adds absolutely nothing to the plot/characters.

It's also reasonably funny too, which always helps.
Netanella
I'm embarking on a read-a-thon journey of the "The Dresden Files", and this short story is an excellent introduction into what has been recommended to me as an excellent urban fantasy series. I'm stoked!
Jules (Never enough time to read)
A great wee short story.
Victoria
Dec 02, 2014 Victoria rated it really liked it
A fab wee shorty. Exactly what I was in the mood for. I love these books and this was great.
Wickedshizuku
Feb 01, 2016 Wickedshizuku rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance fans,Urban Fantasy fans, Kim Harrison fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: my anthology marathon
I really love stories of the early days in the Dresden Files.
Carolynn
Dec 03, 2016 Carolynn rated it it was amazing
I love that there are so many short stories that flesh out the Dresden world, but this is easily a favorite. It is very short, but profound.
Rob
Nov 21, 2016 Rob rated it really liked it
nice short start to harry dresden
Ayala Sela
Dec 04, 2016 Ayala Sela rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, audiobooks
cute
James
Mar 16, 2015 James rated it it was amazing
Very nice short story, and actually my introduction to Dresden.
I found the book Side Jobs in the ship's library on the USS Peleliu (LHA-5) during my first deployment with the U.S. Navy. I have always been a fan of fantasy (ever since reading the Hobbit at age 9.) And although I didn't know much about Harry or his world, this short story made me fly to a computer in the Navigation office (I was in Nav department) and get on Amazon and order the entire series up to that point. It was 2010, so I th
Hermanus
Nov 28, 2015 Hermanus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short and sweet and a great introduction to the world of Harry Dresden and the Dresden files.

A nice introduction to the series mainstay Murphy that Harry meets for the first time in this Novella.

The tone and ambiance that the book sets up is really good but there was one major thing that seemed really out of place and put me off a bit and would probably really put off a new reader to the series as it feels very at odds with the rest of this novella

(view spoiler)
Ladiibbug
Nov 18, 2015 Ladiibbug rated it it was amazing
#0.2 The Dresden Files - Urban Fantasy

Super entertaining short story introducing Harry Dresden, a wizard and PI in Chicago. Nick and Harry run Ragged Angel Investigations - that name is enough to grab my interest.

They're looking for a runaway named Faith, the ten year old daughter of one of Chicago's elite, wealthy families. Harry tracks her down using magic, but she's no usual ten year old. More complications set in when the family reports Faith as kidnapped, putting the police hot on their tra
Amyiw
Oct 16, 2012 Amyiw rated it liked it
Shelves: x-2012
This was a good quick short story. Not great or well developed but obviously a first attempt at the world we will get to know better in the Dresden novels.

Harry is hired, through the detective agency he works for, to find and bring back a run away. When he gets a hold of her in a very bad part of town, his boss calls him off the case and tells him to set her free. Why? (view spoiler) this leaves Dres
Pritesh Patil
Jan 05, 2015 Pritesh Patil rated it really liked it
At the beginning, Butcher says that this story should be seen as a beginner's attempt at short fiction, and that it wasn't really up to publication standards as per editors. Well, in my humble opinion, I have to disagree with them.
Jim crafts yet another delightful story here, but what really gets to you is the interplay between Harry and Faith. The array of emotions depicted at the end and the camaraderie between Nick and Harry was poignantly done as well.
All in all, it was a beautiful read and
Norm Davis
Jan 24, 2014 Norm Davis rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone with time for a quick read.
Recommended to Norm by: Kristina, The Dresden Files on TV
Harry Dresden! So dearly loved the series, now running across Jim Butcher online I'm certain to add several of his books to my wish list. A taste of his book "Side Notes".

Clever title, Restoration of Faith. That works on so many levels. If you want a taste of a writer who can grab your attention and make you believe in the impossible and in magic without blinking an eye, you have yourself some literary joy in your life.

I didn't go 5 stars, almost never do, this one I can say that the girl was
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
DRESDEN 0.2, RESTORATION OF FAITH is a cute short story featuring one of the litosphere's favorite wizards.

It's an extremely short tale, but an excellent choice for those who want to get the flavor of Butcher's writing, before committing themselves and their time.

My own Harry experience is neither complete nor profound, but I would say that this short story is similar in essence to what you'll find in the first book, STORM FRONT. Although, to be honest, STORM FRONT is better written and more int
Wayland Smith
Jan 12, 2015 Wayland Smith rated it really liked it
I read this in at least two different anthologies, and it's arguably a prelude for the entire Dresden Files series. We meet Harry, and a rookie Murphy, as Harry searches for a missing girl. Nothing in Harry's world is ever as simple as a missing person's case.

It's a good read, and I hugely recommend any of the Dresden books to anyone who likes heroes, urban fantasy, or great stories with humor and magic in them. If you don't like any of those things, you have my sincere sympathies.
Cloud9queen
Jul 10, 2012 Cloud9queen rated it really liked it
Shelves: awesome-books
Restoration of Faith is a short story set before Storm Front, about Harry Dresden before he earned his private investigator licence and was working for Nicholas Christian at Ragged Angel Investiagtions. Harry and Nicholas are employed to find Faith Astor, the ten-year-old daughter of one of Chicago's richest families. Trouble naturally ensues and the story turns into a fast-paced action adventure. Recommended.
 Marla
Jan 16, 2016 Marla rated it it was amazing
This was a nice prequel short story to the Harry Dresden series. (view spoiler) the little spunky girl, Faith, was a great character developed in such a short time. I know some people get tired of Harry being such a knight in shining armor, but it's one of my favorite qualities of Harry's personality.
  • Our World (The Dresden Files Roleplaying Game, #2; The Dresden Files, #10.11)
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3;  Otherworld Stories, #10.4; The Dresden Files, #6.5)
  • Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron
  • Beware of the Dog
  • Birds of Prey #1
  • Civil War #1
  • Detective Comics #27
  • Clan Rathskeller (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Mighty Avengers, Volume 1: No Single Hero
  • The Alchemist
  • In Vino Veritas (Dorina Basarab, #2.1)
  • Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love (Kushiel's Legacy #1.5; Phèdre's Trilogy, #1.5; The Dresden Files, #11.5; Outlander, #8.5)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)