Start by marking “London Is the Best City in America” as Want to Read:
London Is the Best City in America

London Is the Best City in America

3.42  ·  Rating Details ·  2,128 Ratings  ·  271 Reviews
London is the Best City in America, is the insightful, wickedly funny story of two siblings who have found themselves at a crossroads. In mapping their struggles over one wild and emotional wedding weekend, Laura Dave gives us a brilliantly subtle and honest look at contemporary courtship, family tension, and the angst that we all experience when we have to make difficult ...more
Published (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about London Is the Best City in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about London Is the Best City in America

Dec 27, 2010 Jasmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american
Hey look I read a totally chicklitty book and liked it. Actually I don't really know what chick lit is but I am worried this might be it. I mean it is clearly a book for women... but lets pretend I'm not embarrassed to have read it.

100... Yay 100... I can calm down I am not a failure.

Okay I liked this book. I as a general rule like any book about relationships in which the resolution is fuzzy at best and everyone is constantly making the wrong decision.

I think that this really comes down to t
Oct 24, 2012 Catalina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"London Is the Best City in America" failed to engage me on any level. The characters were underdeveloped and despite a cloying repetition of "great truths" about love and relationships and "moving on" I never managed to find the "A Ha" moment with any character's life choices. The couples that got together were completely predictable and the Rhode Island references seemed random and bizarre. I felt the urge to play the teacher handing back a report with the words "What happened to these charact ...more
Jan 06, 2013 Catherine rated it did not like it
The prologue seemed promising, along with these moments in Part One: - "Here's the thing about going home again. You don't always know what you'll remember." (13)
- "And suddenly I felt oddly aware of how clear the sky was... how everything was bright and fluid even while it was happening--already existing closer to memory than reality." (13)

Then some pages later I realized we were moving downhill. Dave attempts to add dimension to the story with repetition, an integration of the history of wedd
Sep 14, 2009 Tori rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I bought the audio version for $1 in the bargain bin. The reader was so whiny and annoying, I then went to the library to check out the book because I couldn't take listening anymore.(Once I start a book, it MUST be finished.) So I read and listened.
Reading didn't help me like this any better than listening to the audio reader.
Grow the eff up! Stay out of your brother's business. It's none of your business. Who cares if he liked a woman other than his fiance for awhile. How does that affect you
Jun 06, 2008 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, nyc, read_2008
Overall I really enjoyed this book. Far more than I expected to. After reading so many just ok books this one really stood out for me. I enjoy books that I feel like I can relate to and this one I could. The book is about family, relationships, and figuring out who you are and where you want to be with your life. I recommend reading this one.
Eric Klee
Jul 13, 2010 Eric Klee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LONDON was a great, quick read about the choices we make in life. My favorite insightful line was: "You need to choose among the choices that are there, and not the ones that aren't anymore. At least now how you need them to be. You're still stuck on some imaginary idea you have of how it could have been. You need to think about how it is now. And how you want it to be."

Emmy makes her first choice when she abandons her fiance in a hotel room because she just can't imagine being with him for the
This was funny and really well-written for a light read (aka, realistic, yet not depressing). I really loved the anecdote about the offshore fisherman's girlfriend who would watch for her boyfriend as he came back into port, and then run away after she caught his eye. That way, she could leave him for a change. I should mention that I listened to this one on my commute, instead of reading it. My only beef is that while the person reading the book made an attempt to differentiate between the char ...more
Jill Logan
I think I was about five years too old for this book. It's cute. I can see why it sold for movie rights. But it didn't really move me, and it was one of those frustrating books where I didn't really care about what happened to anyone in it. PLUS, it revolved around a wedding, which is my least favorite thing to read about. If you're 25 or under, though, give it a shot.
jen walter-ballantyne
Jun 09, 2010 jen walter-ballantyne rated it it was ok
reading this book was like watching a romantic comedy. the novel is entertaining, sure, and i found that i really wanted to finish it, but it isn't actually good. most of the chapters felt more self-contained than i would have liked, almost as though they were blog posts that had been strung together to form a novel.
Lauren Ducote
Feb 04, 2009 Lauren Ducote rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible writing style, weak characters, too many useless bits not relating to the story, amature descriptions of people and places
May 27, 2009 Tiffany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for a light read and got suckered in by the RI connection, but this book was about as well-written as Sweet Valley High.
Jul 22, 2015 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I liked a lot of this book, but I didn't love how it was put together, the five parts bit or the way everything tied in to an element of a wedding somehow. I also thought that Berringer was a totally unnecessary character whom I didn't understand. What I loved, though, were the complicated sibling moments and the relationships within Emmy's family. That's what kept me reading and engaged. And, ok, Laura Dave writes really great sexual tension.
Jul 24, 2016 Anne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I made it about halfway through this book. Maybe it's not fair to rate/review it, having not finished it, but I couldn't take it anymore and want to make sure I don't accidentally try to read it again in the future. I agree with another reviewer that the characters are underdeveloped, superficial and immature. The prose is clumsy and wordy and weirdly repetitive, like the author is trying to use repetition to manufacture the drama that is inherently missing from the scenarios she puts her charac ...more
Jul 19, 2015 Leonel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

In the middle of reading Laura Dave’s “London Is The Best City In America,” I thought to myself, “this would make a great movie,” and I made the big mistake of googling if the book has been optioned. Sure enough, it has been, and is being developed as a vehicle for Reese Witherspoon. Sigh. I can’t say I am a fan of hers though truth be told I have seen her give good performances. So when i resumed reading, of course I now envisioned her in the role. This i
Sherrie Howey
Having really enjoyed Laura Dave's "Eight Hundred Grapes", I decided to read this book based on a friend's recommendation. As a resident of Scarsdale, where alot of this book takes place, it was fun to read about many of the local spots in town. This book primarily focuses on choices, particularly those involving relationships. Emmy has broken off her engagement with Matt 2 years prior and has settled in a fishing town in Rhode Island, ostensibly to make a movie but has not progressed far in tha ...more
Ariadna RB
May 05, 2016 Ariadna RB rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Aug 14, 2015 Arlene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I have enjoyed other books by the author I found it hard to attach any sense of reality to the story or feel any compassion for the plight of either Josh or Emmy. It was very difficult to muster any positive feelings for the characters. Emmy, Josh, Matt and to a lesser degree Sadie and Berringer were incapable of being anything but dishonest, disloyal and disingenuous. With the exception of Meryl who was repeatedly disrespected by Emmy and Josh, the character's (including Elizabeth and Gra ...more
Sep 25, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, 2011
This was a light, breezy, easy read, which was good because I've been reading an awful lot of books about the end of the world lately!

I loved the main character, Emmy. She was someone I'd want to hang out with in real life. When I started the book, she was frozen, lost in the past of an ended relationship. As the story progressed, she began to thaw out a bit, finding herself.

Jan 27, 2008 M rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although there are moments of interesting insights into relationships, the book is pretty predictable. It was a relatively enjoyable read that kept me somewhat interested, but it certainly wasn't the next great literary novel. In short, if you are looking for a light, breezy read with some interesting thoughts on getting out of relationships, then this is the book for you.
Sep 07, 2008 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was my book clubs most recent pick that came highly recommended. It was a complete and utter waste of time. Written by a novice author, the characters are underdeveloped, flakey, and totally unrelatable to me. There are holes in the story the author fails to fill. But you don't walk away wondering, you simply walk away.
Jul 16, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All y'all!
Recommended to Jessica by: Borders (RIP)
Shelves: favorites
One of my favorite books ever. Emmy's relationship with her brother is lovely, and Beringer is just...I love him. The writing is wonderful - simple but effective, with one-liners that will make you "mmhmm" out loud. I re-read this often, just to remember what it feels like to fall into a book.
Jul 21, 2015 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Esta se lleva un 3. Quizás un 3.5. Si tuviera que definir esta novela creo que utilizaría como analogía las típicas películas que echan en antena 3 al medio día, sobre todo en Navidad. Compré el libro porque estaba algo aburrida en Carrefour, y únicamente costaba 3 euros. Me llamó la atención el título y la portada, y aunque me esperaba una historia totalmente diferente, a decir verdad me ha sorprendido para bien. Me ha gustado sobre todo la forma en la que te hace reflexionar sobre las relacion ...more
Jun 24, 2007 Hilary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Typical Chick Lit - was just okay. Couldn't get behind the main charecter so I had a hard time with it. Was a book club book and was a hung jury - some loved, some didn't. I was rather ambivilant. You will read it and forget about it instantly.
Jul 12, 2007 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read but nothing other than chick lit. The reader knows that the protagonist will end up with her older brother's long-time best friend on literally page six. Characters are pretty trite but still, a good beach read.
Mar 02, 2010 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bit boring and the characters never really seemed to develop even as their expreience developed in the book. This is one of those books you pick up when you can't find anything else to grab at the moment.
Selena Nel
Jul 16, 2013 Selena Nel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dont waste your time unless you like lists. Every paragraph contains some kind of list-for breakfast we had bacon, eggs, toast, oj, and fruit. I got dressed in shoes, shirt, pants, socks. Can I give no stars?
April Wilson
Aug 10, 2012 April Wilson rated it it was ok
I kept reading this book expecting it to get better. It had potential to be better. Felt it was rather predictable and was slow moving. It tried to be deeper, but stayed rather superficial instead.
Aug 10, 2016 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't say I didn't enjoy it nor can I say I really liked it. Based on the premise, I was hoping for something a little less cliched and in some ways, London did manage to subvert typical developments. Emmy and her mother were my favorite parts of the book. I liked Emmy as a character and I could relate to her insecurities. However, the plot - especially, toward the end - was very neat and easy to swallow. Beringer's (? Josh's friend? I cannot recall his name for the life of me) eventual role I ...more
Jul 09, 2008 Kristin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was basically shallow but clean, which is a compromise I'm willing to make for a quick read.
Nov 17, 2009 Nicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book and a super easy read. I even cried a little towards the end.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #51 London is the Best City in America 1 1 May 13, 2014 04:46PM
  • The Yoga Mamas
  • Wish
  • A Version of the Truth
  • You Could Do Better
  • Pug Hill
  • What Happened to Anna K.
  • Heart of the City: Nine Stories of Love and Serendipity on the Streets of New York
  • Sima's Undergarments for Women
  • Spin
  • The Perfect Manhattan
  • Joyride
Laura Dave is the author of the critically acclaimed novels The First Husband, The Divorce Party and London Is The Best City In America. Her novels have been published in fifteen countries, and three of her novels, including Eight Hundred Grapes, have been optioned as major motion pictures. She resides in Santa Monica, California.

Her new novel, Eight Hundred Grapes, will be released on June 2nd, 2
More about Laura Dave...

“I couldn't help but wonder if that was what love was -- believing that someone was going to come through, in the end, and that it would still count” 31 likes
“Josh had told me a long time ago that he had this theory that an entire relationship was based on what occurred over the course of the first five minutes you know each other. That everything that came after those first minutes was just details being filled in. Meaning: you already knew how deep the love was, how instinctually you felt about someone.

What happened in their first five minutes?

Time stopped.”