Start by marking “London Is the Best City in America” as Want to Read:
London Is the Best City in America

London Is the Best City in America

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  1,609 ratings  ·  239 reviews
London is the Best City in America, is the insightful, wickedly funny story of two siblings who have found themselves at a crossroads. In mapping their struggles over one wild and emotional wedding weekend, Laura Dave gives us a brilliantly subtle and honest look at contemporary courtship, family tension, and the angst that we all experience when we have to make difficult ...more
Published (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about London Is the Best City in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about London Is the Best City in America

Jasmine
Hey look I read a totally chicklitty book and liked it. Actually I don't really know what chick lit is but I am worried this might be it. I mean it is clearly a book for women... but lets pretend I'm not embarrassed to have read it.

100... Yay 100... I can calm down I am not a failure.

Okay I liked this book. I as a general rule like any book about relationships in which the resolution is fuzzy at best and everyone is constantly making the wrong decision.

I think that this really comes down to t
Meredith
Overall I really enjoyed this book. Far more than I expected to. After reading so many just ok books this one really stood out for me. I enjoy books that I feel like I can relate to and this one I could. The book is about family, relationships, and figuring out who you are and where you want to be with your life. I recommend reading this one.
Tori
I bought the audio version for $1 in the bargain bin. The reader was so whiny and annoying, I then went to the library to check out the book because I couldn't take listening anymore.(Once I start a book, it MUST be finished.) So I read and listened.
Reading didn't help me like this any better than listening to the audio reader.
Grow the eff up! Stay out of your brother's business. It's none of your business. Who cares if he liked a woman other than his fiance for awhile. How does that affect you
This was funny and really well-written for a light read (aka, realistic, yet not depressing). I really loved the anecdote about the offshore fisherman's girlfriend who would watch for her boyfriend as he came back into port, and then run away after she caught his eye. That way, she could leave him for a change. I should mention that I listened to this one on my commute, instead of reading it. My only beef is that while the person reading the book made an attempt to differentiate between the char ...more
Eric Klee
LONDON was a great, quick read about the choices we make in life. My favorite insightful line was: "You need to choose among the choices that are there, and not the ones that aren't anymore. At least now how you need them to be. You're still stuck on some imaginary idea you have of how it could have been. You need to think about how it is now. And how you want it to be."

Emmy makes her first choice when she abandons her fiance in a hotel room because she just can't imagine being with him for the
Catalina
"London Is the Best City in America" failed to engage me on any level. The characters were underdeveloped and despite a cloying repetition of "great truths" about love and relationships and "moving on" I never managed to find the "A Ha" moment with any character's life choices. The couples that got together were completely predictable and the Rhode Island references seemed random and bizarre. I felt the urge to play the teacher handing back a report with the words "What happened to these charact ...more
Lauren Ducote
Terrible writing style, weak characters, too many useless bits not relating to the story, amature descriptions of people and places
Tiffany
I was looking for a light read and got suckered in by the RI connection, but this book was about as well-written as Sweet Valley High.
Catherine
The prologue seemed promising, along with these moments in Part One: - "Here's the thing about going home again. You don't always know what you'll remember." (13)
- "And suddenly I felt oddly aware of how clear the sky was... how everything was bright and fluid even while it was happening--already existing closer to memory than reality." (13)

Then some pages later I realized we were moving downhill. Dave attempts to add dimension to the story with repetition, an integration of the history of wedd
Patricia
This was just a so-so book. It was pretty dry and lifeless- there was no humor in the book and it was difficult to have any sympathy for the charaters. The main character was only 26 and went on and on throughout the book about how "old" she was, which started to grate on my nerves after awhile. This book would be ok to read if there was nothing else available and you were stuck in a place where no one spoke English.
This was a light, breezy, easy read, which was good because I've been reading an awful lot of books about the end of the world lately!

I loved the main character, Emmy. She was someone I'd want to hang out with in real life. When I started the book, she was frozen, lost in the past of an ended relationship. As the story progressed, she began to thaw out a bit, finding herself.

M
Although there are moments of interesting insights into relationships, the book is pretty predictable. It was a relatively enjoyable read that kept me somewhat interested, but it certainly wasn't the next great literary novel. In short, if you are looking for a light, breezy read with some interesting thoughts on getting out of relationships, then this is the book for you.
Jill Logan
I think I was about five years too old for this book. It's cute. I can see why it sold for movie rights. But it didn't really move me, and it was one of those frustrating books where I didn't really care about what happened to anyone in it. PLUS, it revolved around a wedding, which is my least favorite thing to read about. If you're 25 or under, though, give it a shot.
Heather
This was my book clubs most recent pick that came highly recommended. It was a complete and utter waste of time. Written by a novice author, the characters are underdeveloped, flakey, and totally unrelatable to me. There are holes in the story the author fails to fill. But you don't walk away wondering, you simply walk away.
jen walter-ballantyne
reading this book was like watching a romantic comedy. the novel is entertaining, sure, and i found that i really wanted to finish it, but it isn't actually good. most of the chapters felt more self-contained than i would have liked, almost as though they were blog posts that had been strung together to form a novel.
Jessica
Jul 16, 2014 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All y'all!
Recommended to Jessica by: Borders (RIP)
Shelves: favorites
One of my favorite books ever. Emmy's relationship with her brother is lovely, and Beringer is just...I love him. The writing is wonderful - simple but effective, with one-liners that will make you "mmhmm" out loud. I re-read this often, just to remember what it feels like to fall into a book.
Amanda (Mandy)
I actually read this book cause I heard that Reese Witherspoon optioned the rights to the movie version, should be a good one. It has nothing to do with London, it's about a girl who was engaged and broke it off and moves to a small fishing town in Rhodeland to find herself.
Hilary
Typical Chick Lit - was just okay. Couldn't get behind the main charecter so I had a hard time with it. Was a book club book and was a hung jury - some loved, some didn't. I was rather ambivilant. You will read it and forget about it instantly.
Katie
This was a fun read but nothing other than chick lit. The reader knows that the protagonist will end up with her older brother's long-time best friend on literally page six. Characters are pretty trite but still, a good beach read.
Rachel
A bit boring and the characters never really seemed to develop even as their expreience developed in the book. This is one of those books you pick up when you can't find anything else to grab at the moment.
Selena Nel
Dont waste your time unless you like lists. Every paragraph contains some kind of list-for breakfast we had bacon, eggs, toast, oj, and fruit. I got dressed in shoes, shirt, pants, socks. Can I give no stars?
April Wilson
I kept reading this book expecting it to get better. It had potential to be better. Felt it was rather predictable and was slow moving. It tried to be deeper, but stayed rather superficial instead.
Kristin
This was basically shallow but clean, which is a compromise I'm willing to make for a quick read.
Nicki
This was a great book and a super easy read. I even cried a little towards the end.
Tanya
I didn't like this book. Too dull, too hard to finish.
Georgia
This book was very slow, not much happened.
I mean, the writing was nice, the characters were distinguished, but i still have no idea why the book is called "London is the Best City is America".
It's about this girl called Emmy, who broke off her engagement and started making a documentary about fisherman's wives, so she's a little bit sad and lonely. Her brother Josh is getting married soon but she finds out that he secretly loves someone else, so the go on this road-trip to meet this woman, name
Christina Rumbaugh
On the eve of her brother's wedding, Emmy takes her brother Josh on a road trip to determine if he wants to get married at all. They had always been close, but Emmy realizes that there's probably more to Josh than she thought. Meanwhile, she's dealing with the memories of her own failed engagement (don't worry. I'm not spoiling anything), and the remnants of her life, which she doesn't think are so bad, thank you very much.

But life-truths are realized, as they always are, and Emmy realizes that
For some reason, this book got a lot of rave reviews. Personally, I wasn't too impressed with it, but I did enjoy bits and pieces of it. In this tale, we follow Emmy Everett, a young woman whose present life is dictated by the fact she broke up with her ex-fiancee three years ago. Yes, you read that correctly. For starters, I didn't like Emmy very much. Instead of moving on with her life and becoming herself, she decides to stay in the small village in Rhode Island where she left her fiancee. Sh ...more
Catherine
A story about seeing love from all sides. How easily it's found, and how easily it's lost. Just a tiny change in timing could make all the difference. Even when both parties want it to work out, and they love each other, there are no guarantees. That ultimately, you have to make decisions based on where you're at in your own story, not looking back and not waiting for the future to change it.

Favorite Quotes (there were many more that could've easily made this list):

"Part of me wanted to…sneak i
  • Love, Work, Children: A Novel
  • The Big Love
  • Wish
  • World of Pies
  • A Version of the Truth
  • Heart of the City: Nine Stories of Love and Serendipity on the Streets of New York
  • Family Happiness
  • The Opposite of Love
  • Lauren Yanofsky Hates the Holocaust
  • Everyone Else's Girl
  • Dating Big Bird
  • Cracked Open: Liberty, Fertility, and the Pursuit of High-Tech Babies
  • Sima's Undergarments for Women
I'm the author of the novels: The Divorce Party and London Is The Best City In America. And... THE FIRST HUSBAND (coming this May from Viking Penguin).

I will post about books that I am reading and enjoying. And I look forward to meeting other readers and writers on goodreads---

More about Laura Dave...
The First Husband The Divorce Party Eight Hundred Grapes: A Novel Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant : Confessions of Cooking for One and Dining Alone

“I couldn't help but wonder if that was what love was -- believing that someone was going to come through, in the end, and that it would still count” 30 likes
“Josh had told me a long time ago that he had this theory that an entire relationship was based on what occurred over the course of the first five minutes you know each other. That everything that came after those first minutes was just details being filled in. Meaning: you already knew how deep the love was, how instinctually you felt about someone.

What happened in their first five minutes?

Time stopped.”